• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ganondalf

Smash Cadet
"HI, IM DAISY"

This is what she'd say after every single move and taunt and death and fall and everything else. This is all brunette peach is allowed to say.

HI I'M DAISY!

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
damn, I miss all the good discussions.

Yay Royclones, but I still wouldn't rule out 1, ~maybe~ 2 custom built characters. they have to be proud of how Mewtwo turned out , and the prospect of making a character everyone wants without that kind of base and trying not to rock the Meta too hard has to make for an exciting challenge. it would for me. hell, the black shadow/ganon thing relies on this prospect.

That is the golden list. I might also add Lyn as an Ike clone -- completely make all his attacks faster and weaker.
also still shouldn't rule out the lyn-pit clone thing either, of course to suit her original look and one sword.

...okay, it's not as doable as the others, but it's gotta put her up to at least a B-rank in how cloneable it is.

Last edited:

Marakatu

Smash Ace
There's also Takamaru as a Link clone. While I went really crazy with my interpretation of the character, if we kept it basic (no stance switching), it'd still make for a very different swords person.
This could work.
1) Swap the Boomerang for the Windmill Sword
2) Swap the arrow for a kunai
3) Swap the bomb for a mine
4) ???
5) Profit!

Exodo

Smash Ace
Sounds intriguing. What would it do?
it could be like pikachu's former side b(with less knockback and more hitstun) and with electric properties plus the self damaging, and if successful either yours or your partners the other one will be spawned where the other one was giving you an opening for another strike. now that sound kinda over powered, it could have a range limit in between the pichus, or so it cant be spammed making it only usable if charged completely.

Last edited:

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
So if I'm remembering everyone, the characters who would work best as clones are Pichu, Dark Samus, Micaiah, Ninten, Sami, Slippy, Liquid Snake, and possibly Hector (the way Ike swings his sword isn't so different from an axe in many animations) and the Sonic trio (depends on how close to the original they end up). They could all easily be Roy-level clones.
Hmmm. If these are the potential roy-level clones then i suppose i'd be fine with this combination:

Dark Samus - for an aggro up close samus i wouldn't mind dark samus.
Ninten - because he's not ness and would be a new mother character and also because he isn't ness.:)
Sami - while we could add liquid snake, sami is overall better because she isn't third party and her series isn't represented in smash via playable characters as of yet.
Pichu - Pichu could most certainly be interesting if redone. I picture him as a glass canon character.
Micaiah - Not a big fan of FE BUT it wouldn't hurt the current trio to get a fourth plus she would be a mage which smash doesn't have yet.

Honorable Mention: Slippy - Picture this for slippy's moveset and tell me you wouldn't instantly try him out. He's based on snake + spacies.
Neutral B: Camouflage - Slippy charges his camouflage device ala lucas offense up. once charging is complete slippy can choose when to activate the camouflage which will turn him partially invisible until he is hit again. standing still makes him completely invisible. movement makes his visibility increase slightly.

Side B: Slippy Illusion ( Based off of fox's side special). While in air Slippy can angle his upward or downward however it still goes in a straight line and puts him into freefall afterwards. On ground he can't angle it. If he connects with it, the other character is paralyzed temporarily whether on ground or in air. If he sweetspots it, the other character is dazed (effect when your shield breaks) on ground. If he sweetspots it in air the other character is stunned for even longer and slippy isn't put into freefall.

Up B: Unnamed - Slippy pulls out a device similar to snakes cypher and flys up very quickly but for a very short distance. About the distance of falco's.

Down B: Remote Reflector Mine - Slippy places a mine that replicates either, fox falco or wolfs reflector depending on who's is selected (more on that later). If he is near it on the ground when he activates it, instead of it just detonating, he kicks it forward ala falco brawl down special and it comes back to him. If he is in the air, he just detonates it and it applies the set knockback and damage to him. If he isn't near the reflector mine when it's on the ground, he can detonate it any time and the reflector will stay up for about a second before malfunctioning and disappearing. He can also stick the reflector to other characters.

Other signature moves

Taunt: One of slippy's taunt's cycles through reflectors. The order is as follows Fox -> Falco -> Wolf. To distinguish between falco's reflector and fox's, slippy adjusted falco's to shine green as opposed to blue. Also for wolf's it's the same style as fox's and falco's instead of looking different and it is red.

Down Smash: Proximity Reflector Mine - Slippy pulls a reflector out and twists it while the smash move is charging. Once finished he places it on the ground. A fully charged mine will remain on the ground for up to 10 seconds. An uncharged one will remain on the ground for 5. If anyone walks over it it will automatically activate. Certain low to the ground projectiles will trigger it. Again the reflector only lasts for a second before malfunction and disappearance.

Forward Smash: Slippy pulls out a grenade launcher and aims at the ground like snake's fsmash in brawl. Depending on the angle of the control stick, slippy will either angle the launcher closer or further away from him. A lower angle will have him shoot further away making the grenade bounce and stay low to the ground. A higher angle will make him shoot close by which will make the grenade bounce and explode in the air in front of him. A standard angle is somewhere in between the two.

Bair: Slippy get's fox's bair from brawl. Because slippy isn't very good at hand to hand combat, this is his only actual kill move.

Notes: Slippy's other attacks i didn't go over can just be various moves from snake and the spacies. IE snakes up tilt would fit slippy as well as fox's and falco's ftilt. Snake's fdtilt (the shank) would be his dtilt except he punches. His jab combo would be like snakes but less effective. His nair would be like d3's. His upair would be a headbutt, his downair would be wolf's and his fair would be something like wario's. His fthrow is fox/falco's. bthrow is snake. Dthrow is fox/falco's except with grenadelauncher instead of laser. uthrow is snakes followed by a shot from his grenade launcher while he's lying down.

Basically with this moveset, slippy would thrive off of traps, mixups and gimps.

Last edited:

Exodo

Smash Ace
That is the golden list. I might also add Lyn as an Ike clone -- completely make all his attacks faster and weaker. This goes against the typical katana moveset that's been often proposed, but it also makes her much more worth the cost.

At this point, given alternate costumes, we can probably rule out Hector and Shadow being in PM.
im pretty sure the golden list would something like(if wanting a roy like level):
1. Pichu(Bros)
2. Dixie Kong
3. Dark Samus
4. Ninten
5. Slippy?
i see micaiah and sami as both a little bit more complex clones, meaning they would require a little bit more of work than the one's mentioned before, micaiah being that she would require size reduction many changes in hurt and hitbox plus more unique animations and the all the light properties being added, and for sami i can envision her having more goofy weapons(like not so realistic) and maybe having more fire power(maybe a machine gun that shoots a 3 round shot for side b? :O)

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
the golden list
focus in this over-emphasis on these kinds of clones is kind of killing the hype, guys, at least for me. just because they listed how easy most of the prospective characters are doesn't mean they'll pick exclusively from what's deemed easiest. there's room for more complexity, and plenty of time to implement it.

also, Exodo, didn't they say dixie kong would be crazy hard with the fact they'd have to hand animate every flick of her ponytail?

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
im pretty sure the golden list would something like(if wanting a roy like level):
1. Pichu(Bros)
2. Dixie Kong
3. Dark Samus
4. Ninten
5. Slippy?
i see micaiah and sami as both a little bit more complex clones, meaning they would require a little bit more of work than the one's mentioned before, micaiah being that she would require size reduction many changes in hurt and hitbox plus more unique animations and the all the light properties being added, and for sami i can envision her having more goofy weapons(like not so realistic) and maybe having more fire power(maybe a machine gun that shoots a 3 round shot for side b? :O)
Good list although i gotta disagree with you on dixie. As much as i want to agree with you, her hair throws a dent in the whole roy level clone thing making her more of a mewtwo level clone. The rest i'm ok with.

How's this list look?

Roy Level clones are
1. Pichu
2. Dark Samus
3. Ninten
4. Slippy
5. Black Shadow

Mewtwo Level clones are
1. Micaiah
2. Sami
3. Dixie
4. Ganondorf (Funny enough but ganondorf could actually be based off of mewtwo if blackendorf takes off.)
5. Tails

Isaac Level *clones*
1. Ridley
2. Ray
3. Sukapon
4. Krystal
5. Saki
6. Tom Nook
7. King K Rool
8. Knuckles
9. Shadow

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Good list although i gotta disagree with you on dixie. As much as i want to agree with you, her hair throws a dent in the whole roy level clone thing making her more of a mewtwo level clone. The rest i'm ok with.

How's this list look?

Roy Level clones are
1. Pichu
2. Dark Samus
3. Ninten
4. Slippy
5. Black Shadow

Mewtwo Level clones are
1. Micaiah
2. Sami
3. Dixie
4. Ganondorf (Funny enough but ganondorf could actually be based off of mewtwo if blackendorf takes off.)
5. Tails

Isaac Level *clones*
1. Ridley
2. Ray
3. Sukapon
4. Krystal
5. Saki
6. Tom Nook
7. King K Rool
8. Knuckles
9. Shadow
1378749419452.png

are
you
serious

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
This could work.
1) Swap the Boomerang for the Windmill Sword
2) Swap the arrow for a kunai
3) Swap the bomb for a mine
4) ???
5) Profit!
Always saw it as:

Fireball for arrows (holding fireball turns it into a big fireball that blows up into four will o wisps in a cross shape patterm)
Windmill Swords for Boomerang (just makes sense, we could even bring back vBrawl Link's gale effect with this)
Throwing Knives for Bombs (the mines idea has always been cool, but I think sticking to stuff he used in the Famicom title is best, plus self generated hold items are cool)

Give him some "samurai normals" (drawing attacks from the hilt) and the Invisibility scroll for the up B and we're good.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
it could be like pikachu's former side b(with less knockback and more hitstun) and with electric properties plus the self damaging, and if successful either yours or your partners the other one will be spawned where the other one was giving you an opening for another strike. now that sound kinda over powered, it could have a range limit in between the pichus, or so it cant be spammed making it only usable if charged completely.
I like this. It emphasizes their team-work oriented combat style while also allowing them to combo a little easier with non-masochist moves like aerials and tilts. My only qualm is that it removes the sheer destructive power of a double Skull Bash :p.

Last edited:

Exodo

Smash Ace

How's this list look?

Roy Level clones are
1. Pichu
2. Dark Samus
3. Ninten
4. Slippy
5. Black Shadow

Mewtwo Level clones are
1. Micaiah
2. Sami
3. Dixie
5. Tails

Isaac Level *clones*
1. Ridley
2. Ray
3. Sukapon
4. Krystal
5. Saki
6. Tom Nook
7. King K Rool
8. Knuckles
9. Shadow
i can agree with you that dixie would be a little bit more complicated because of the hair, but thats basically it, everything else could be cloned from diddy, as for the isaac level thing. nor knuckles or shadow are isaac level... hell they would be inbetween roy and mewtwo level clones.

but again with the dixie thing, she would be more complicated than roy yes, but still not a mewtwo level clone, Mewtwo is supposed to be a Lucario clone and the only resemblance they have is the Neutral B, and heck they are still different.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87

How's this list look?

Roy Level clones are
1. Pichu
2. Dark Samus
3. Ninten
4. Slippy
5. Black Shadow

Mewtwo Level clones are
1. Micaiah
2. Sami
3. Dixie
5. Tails

Isaac Level *clones*
1. Ridley
2. Ray
3. Sukapon
4. Krystal
5. Saki
6. Tom Nook
7. King K Rool
8. Knuckles
9. Shadow
Wait, what? "Mewtwo level" is completely different as Mewtwo isn't even a clone. And Knuckles and Shadow are easily cloneable.

And Black Shadow in the proposed form is not even a clone at all. He's a reskin. That's virtually no work.

As mentioned above, Dixie is by far not in the second tier. Her hair may "just be one thing," but it's actually VERY significant. One does not just create a prehensile tail easily.

Last edited:

Ganondalf

Smash Cadet
What is this list suppose to accomplish? We have zero guarantees as to who will be picked; difficulty of creation or not. I suspect we'll get 2-3 clones and the rest will be nearly pure unique but I have little to no basis for that and neither does anyone else other than "clones are easier to make thus more clones will be made" but that doesn't really do anything since when a character gets picked, that doesn't mean that character will be a clone or be 'as easy' due to little touches and details etc. The only example this works on is the Black Shadow/Ganon split and possibly Dark Samus due to sharing almost the exact same suit except more edgy and blue.

So I'm not really seeing the point in arguing over a list of 'clone-ability'

Shin F.

Smash Master
What is this list suppose to accomplish? We have zero guarantees as to who will be picked; difficulty of creation or not. I suspect we'll get 2-3 clones and the rest will be nearly pure unique but I have little to no basis for that and neither does anyone else other than "clones are easier to make thus more clones will be made" but that doesn't really do anything since when a character gets picked, that doesn't mean that character will be a clone or be 'as easy' due to little touches and details etc. The only example this works on is the Black Shadow/Ganon split and possibly Dark Samus due to sharing almost the exact same suit except more edgy and blue.

Project M Clone Engine Blog Post said:
We've estimated that creating all new animations for a character that live up to our quality standards would take at least 700 hours. This is why clones or partial clones are so appealing – by limiting the number of new animations created it cuts down the amount of time required substantially. That's not to say that new characters are entirely off limits, but the most viable proposals often start off of the base of another character. Think of Luigi – he shares many similar moves and animations with Mario, his base, but over time has been given more unique traits. Furthermore, his unique physics instantly shift his entire play style. Creating new play experiences in a polished manner as efficiently as possible is really the name of the game.
http://projectmgame.com/en/news/clone-engine-blogpost-limits-restrictions-and-possibilities

Last edited:

Ganondalf

Smash Cadet
That didn't answer the question.

The question is "Why even bother with this list if we have no guarantee that anything in this list is being made?" The list doesn't predict which characters will be made. It doesn't really matter if this is a popularity contest. And if ease-of-creation is going to act as a weight on which characters get picked then why not just remove the characters the designers don't even want to do (for this example: all unique movesets with 0% borrowed animations) or just say "this isn't a popularity contest" and "your votes aren't meaningful because ultimately we have the final say"? Obviously, they DO have the final say but if, for example, Deoxys (pokemon with 4 forms) gets a huge majority of the vote but the devs don't want to make something that unique, why give us the ability to vote on it in the first place?

To put it simply, is this an actual popularity contest or are our votes nothing but a tool to sway their opinions on what should be made? If the latter, how do you quantitatively or even qualitatively determine how many votes this Deoxys example would need to sway their opinion to make him? If the answer is "impossibly high" then just remove him from the voting pool? An extreme example, but I could easily use Isaac or Pichu Bros (Plusle and Minun is better :troll:)

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87

To answer your question, the list of clone-ability has nothing to do with the poll, but it still very much falls within the realm of clone character discussion

Shin F.

Smash Master
That didn't answer the question.

The question is "Why even bother with this list if we have no guarantee that anything in this list is being made?" The list doesn't predict which characters will be made. It doesn't really matter if this is a popularity contest. And if ease-of-creation is going to act as a weight on which characters get picked then why not just remove the characters the designers don't even want to do (for this example: all unique movesets with 0% borrowed animations) or just say "this isn't a popularity contest" and "your votes aren't meaningful because ultimately we have the final say"? Obviously, they DO have the final say but if, for example, Deoxys (pokemon with 4 forms) gets a huge majority of the vote but the devs don't want to make something that unique, why give us the ability to vote on it in the first place?

To put it simply, is this an actual popularity contest or are our votes nothing but a tool to sway their opinions on what should be made? If the latter, how do you quantitatively or even qualitatively determine how many votes this Deoxys example would need to sway their opinion to make him? If the answer is "impossibly high" then just remove him from the voting pool? An extreme example, but I could easily use Isaac or Pichu Bros (Plusle and Minun is better :troll:)
This thread exists to discuss and speculate on the possibilities involving the Clone Engine. Since clone-like characters are appealing to the Project M back room, that includes talking about how cloneable characters are. No, there's no point to it other than speculation. For that matter, there's no point to any of the discussion in this thread other than speculation. You may as well be asking why this thread exists at all.

The poll is a gauge of how popular certain candidates would be with the fanbase. These votes don't do anything except tell the Project M Back Room which characters are popular or controversial. That's it. It may help them decide who to make. It may not sway their opinion one inch. Nothing in this thread is guaranteed to be made. Literally nothing. In fact, given that the voting has been going on so long and we have a good image of the best candidates' popularity, I'd say even that is probably pointless now.

As Anti Guy once put it, most of this thread is pretty much mental masturbation.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
This thread exists to discuss and speculate on the possibilities involving the Clone Engine. Since clone-like characters are appealing to the Project M back room, that includes talking about how cloneable characters are. No, there's no point to it other than speculation. For that matter, there's no point to any of the discussion in this thread other than speculation. You may as well be asking why this thread exists at all.

The poll is a gauge of how popular certain candidates would be with the fanbase. These votes don't do anything except tell the Project M Back Room which characters are popular or controversial. That's it. It may help them decide who to make. It may not sway their opinion one inch. Nothing in this thread is guaranteed to be made. Literally nothing. In fact, given that the voting has been going on so long and we have a good image of the best candidates' popularity, I'd say even that is probably pointless now.

As Anti Guy once put it, most of this thread is pretty much mental masturbation.
Since when do you main Squirtle in P:M?

Shin F.

Smash Master
Since when do you main Squirtle in P:M?
Since about a month and a half ago I think? I found a nice costume for him and I was testing it out to put into a build my friends and I use, and while I was playing as him he just sort of clicked with me, so I've been using him a lot ever since. It doesn't hurt that he was my favorite Pokemon as a kid, either.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Since about a month and a half ago I think? I found a nice costume for him and I was testing it out to put into a build my friends and I use, and while I was playing as him he just sort of clicked with me, so I've been using him a lot ever since. It doesn't hurt that he was my favorite Pokemon as a kid, either.
Shin
Join the Squirtle Squad Master Race Google hangout
We'll teach you how to be Squirtle Jank, yeah?

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Or he could just check out our Squirtle boards lol.

You didn't realize he had started maining Squirtle when he was talking to Sol about small fast projectile characters ex. Ray.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Or he could just check out our Squirtle boards lol.

You didn't realize he had started maining Squirtle when he was talking to Sol about small fast projectile characters ex. Ray.
I haven't been here in a while.

Netplay has stolen me.

Also, all the realtalktho happens in the chat

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
Time to wake up Clone Engine Thread :p. Hopefully I can facilitate some discussion through a game of sorts. So the Super Smash Bros for 3ds game is being played on Twitch since yesterday because some have gotten it early. Even though it's unknown what the full cast is I would like to suggest starting hypothetical predictions based on the credited companies from the credit sequence. Best of luck if you get a hidden character.

Here's my prediction: CAMELOT CO. Inc: Isaac (could be Walugi but doubt it)

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Time to wake up Clone Engine Thread :p. Hopefully I can facilitate some discussion through a game of sorts. So the Super Smash Bros for 3ds game is being played on Twitch since yesterday because some have gotten it early. Even though it's unknown what the full cast is I would like to suggest starting hypothetical predictions based on the credited companies from the credit sequence. Best of luck if you get a hidden character.

Here's my prediction: CAMELOT CO. Inc: Isaac (could be Walugi but doubt it)
It's been confirmed that he isint an assist trophy

No word on playability though

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
It's been confirmed that he isint an assist trophy

No word on playability though
Chances are looking high for him to be playable then :). Want to leave a prediction before final roster finishes? Preferably a potential clone engine rep to stay relevant to this thread. You can even say Ridley because I feel he's 50-50 at this point :p.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Chances are looking high for him to be playable then :). Want to leave a prediction before final roster finishes? Preferably a potential clone engine rep to stay relevant to this thread. You can even say Ridley because I feel he's 50-50 at this point :p.
I'm thinking Issac is in, and Snake. People have said they've spotted Kojima and Snake's VA in the credits.

Can we have a clone rep thats from a classic series like Duck dog plz pmbr

EDIt: OH MY GOD I BET ISSAC IS TOTALLY IN, HE'S THE SECRET FOR FRIDAY, AND TO UNLOCK YOU GOTTA WIN CLASSIC WITH THE NEWCOMERS

If i'm right, everyone has to bow to my god tier prediction

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
It was so nice and quiet. :p

He may still be an Assist Trophy. He had to be unlocked in Brawl - there's no reason the same might not be true here. Until everything is unlocked, we can't truly confirm either way.

That said, I honestly don't know which way I'd rather have it.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
They have unlocked all the characters for Smash 4 3DS, basically the entire ESRB roster was confirmed.

No characters not in the leak made it in.

Well, right now Smash 4 has seven playable characters not in Project M (Wolf, Lucas, Snake, Ivsaury, Squirtle, Mewtwo, Roy, Ice Climbers). Pretty distinctive.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
They have unlocked all the characters for Smash 4 3DS, basically the entire ESRB roster was confirmed.

No characters not in the leak made it in.

Well, right now Smash 4 has seven playable characters not in Project M (Wolf, Lucas, Snake, Ivsaury, Squirtle, Mewtwo, Roy, Ice Climbers). Pretty distinctive.
Gema just ran through Classic with GnW on 7, no ROB unlock

D

Deleted member

Yeah, the Project M clone suggestions are gonna be coming in once more. I'd nominate Isaac, naturally.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Looks like the ESRB leak WAS the final roster all along.

Sadness.

Also get ready for an influx of crying character supporters, CE Speculation Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom