• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malion

Smash Ace
Well Ninten in even his original art had his shirt partly tucked. The lazy bedhead hair and partly tucked shirt actually sells twice as much to the people who are familiar with the lore of the character. It makes him standout quite a bit.
That's fair I honestly don't know that much about the character but looking at the figurine and the sticker I see that the half tuck is the most represented version of him, so it makes sense to go in that direction.

Shin F.

Smash Master
That's fair I honestly don't know that much about the character but looking at the figurine and the sticker I see that the half tuck is the most represented version of him, so it makes sense to go in that direction.
It's more distinct than the even shirts Ness and Lucas have, in any case, which is the big goal.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Honestly I just went in depth with all the different details I could spot. I noticed that the stripes on Ninten's shirt didn't wrap around the arms like Ness or Lucas, which is a pretty unique difference in his clothing. Even the way his stripes normally are with thick blue stripes and thin yellow stripes is a key difference that would likely make for a good Alt color.

Also, I've already thought of a good character alt costume for him.

A baseball player's uniform to go with his lovely bat inspired playstyle. (Also if you get this reference, you win at life.)

Malion

Smash Ace
Honestly I just went in depth with all the different details I could spot. I noticed that the stripes on Ninten's shirt didn't wrap around the arms like Ness or Lucas, which is a pretty unique difference in his clothing. Even the way his stripes normally are with thick blue stripes and thin yellow stripes is a key difference that would likely make for a good Alt color.

Also, I've already thought of a good character alt costume for him.

A baseball player's uniform to go with his lovely bat inspired playstyle. (Also if you get this reference, you win at life.)
I could play as him on and... off.

And maybe a nice yellow and blue pattern to make him a real... youngster

Also I messed around with the colours for the heck of it to more match my image... for really no reason but here it is.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I could play as him on and... off.

And maybe a nice yellow and blue pattern to make him a real... youngster

Also I messed around with the colours for the heck of it to more match my image... for really no reason but here it is.
The reason I stuck with colors I've been told is because lighting plays a key significance in why that kid looked to have an orange overtone to his wear. But things like that lead to good alt colors, like the NES color inspired Mario and Luigi.

Shin F.

Smash Master
The reason I stuck with colors I've been told is because lighting plays a key significance in why that kid looked to have an orange overtone to his wear. But things like that lead to good alt colors, like the NES color inspired Mario and Luigi.
That may also explain the brown hair, come to think of it.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
That may also explain the brown hair, come to think of it.
Solbliminal took Information Tech classes that gave him good insight on how to decipher edited photoshop images and film / movie effects.

Also. Why does Lucas have eyebrows in Brawl, but Ness doesn't when he clearly has them in his game? Should I give Ninten back his eyebrows?

Malion

Smash Ace
I think your palette was fine and is no less relevant I'm just tweaking around with everything that could differentiate him from ness. I fell alt colours for most colours should play around with complexion anyway though. Like NES Luigi's yellow skin was great. Or Dark fox or etc. I think I saw someone who made an Alt for Ninten who looked like a frost giant and that's just great. lol

Shin F.

Smash Master
Solbliminal took Information Tech classes that gave him good insight on how to decipher edited photoshop images and film / movie effects.

Also. Why does Lucas have eyebrows in Brawl, but Ness doesn't when he clearly has them in his game? Should I give Ninten back his eyebrows?
I think the design is better with the eyebrows. No idea why Ness doesn't have them in Brawl. Probably for the same reason he and Lucas have teeth in cutscenes, but not in-game.

Malion

Smash Ace

Yes, give him some strong brow game.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Ness' new up-smash should involve those new eyebrows to fly directly upwards out of the upper blast lines. The knockback would be Rest-power strong.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Ninten confirmed to be Superman's psychic grandson who is also descended from Rock Lee and inherited his Super Brows.
Ninten confirmed SuperSaiyanKryptonianSoulReapingQuincyFullbringVizardHollowBatterNinja with Psychic powers.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
His eyes glow white like Captain Falcon's. Ninten confirmed Captain Falcon's chosen successor.
That Ninten is an impostor. He is wearing a sweater. That is The Batter disguised as Ninten trying to steal his slot in the P:M roster.

Malion

Smash Ace
Ninten confirmed Brow Tier. There ya go guys.

I like it a lot... I'm trying to think if he would benefit from a few more bells and whistles to further differentiate himself... like maybe wrist bands/a watch... or some sweet ass gloves... or if he should have pockets on his shorts like cargo shorts or something... or if his shoes should be like Franklin branded... or if his hat should have a flat bill on it so he looks pretty gangsta.

I realise all of these things aren't exactly canon and actually might make his design look... well... over-designed. But it's worth thinking about.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I like it a lot... I'm trying to think if he would benefit from a few more bells and whistles to further differentiate himself... like maybe wrist bands/a watch... or some sweet *** gloves... or if he should have pockets on his shorts like cargo shorts or something... or if his shoes should be like Franklin branded... or if his hat should have a flat bill on it so he looks pretty gangsta.

I realise all of these things aren't exactly canon and actually might make his design look... well... over-designed. But it's worth thinking about.
Trust me. I kept all these things in mind. The fact he is taller than the other two already sets him apart greatly with the changes I've made.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
>All this eyebrow talk

Damn it, people, I want to get farther in Path of Radiance, not watch FLCL again....

also, Ninten....

1405320783136.jpg

as far as differences go, I SUPPOSE you could do enough to set him apart from Lucas or Ness, but really, then we have him being built up from ness, lucas or lucario (like mewtwo), who all are already clone - related in some way. i still advocate we should clone the cloneless characters we still have.

not huge on it. besides, you don't see people campaigning nearly as much for a western Mother release compared to Mother 3, or even the Earthbound VC release.

edit: hit wrong button, had much more to say.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
>All this eyebrow talk

Damn it, people, I want to get farther in Path of Radiance, not watch FLCL again....

also, Ninten....

View attachment 20350

as far as differences go, I SUPPOSE you could do enough to set him apart from Lucas or Ness, but really, then we have him being built up from ness, lucas or lucario (like mewtwo), who all are already clone - related in some way. i still advocate we should clone the cloneless characters we still have.

not huge on it. besides, you don't see people campaigning nearly as much for a western Mother release compared to Mother 3, or even the Earthbound VC release.
I liked the post better before the edit. :/

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
I liked the post better before the edit. :/
apologies, was meant to hit "upload a file" then. but I re-iterate - we really should think of characters that can be clones of characters that don't have clones yet.

Ninten might be best off being a costume reference for Ness, Like Hector Armor Ike (CANNOT WAIT to use that).

Shin F.

Smash Master
apologies, was meant to hit "upload a file" then. but I re-iterate - we really should think of characters that can be clones of characters that don't have clones yet.

Ninten might be best off being a costume reference for Ness, Like Hector Armor Ike (CANNOT WAIT to use that).
I'd say it's arguable how much of a clone Ness and Lucas really are at this point. I mean, they share, what - 5 moves? 6? Mario and Luigi share more. I can understand the sentiment, though.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット

Your face might be best off being a costume reference for your face.

Whispering to himself,

Got him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom