• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
This character design tangent makes me curious about something. So thread, Black Haired Takamaru or Blue Haired Takamaru?

I'm more fond of the former with the latter being a color alt.

Shin F.

Smash Master
This character design tangent makes me curious about something. So thread, Black Haired Takamaru or Blue Haired Takamaru?

Black haired for main costumes, blue hair for alt. I'd be interested in seeing some cool designs for him, although I think the Smash 4 one is probably as good as it gets. It's pretty awesome.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
That is the mentality of how people should see alt costumes should be to begin with. I don't see why anyone should argue over alt colors unless people do have a hard time differentiating team colors, or even characters apart from one another.

But to explain something relevant to your question, a lot of the time blue was used to portray black hair in old games. Because black was a color primarily used to help in stage designs / backgrounds. The only reason to make it blue would to appeal to nostalgic NES fans. So yeah. Blue should be an alt if not only for the sake of nostalgic fans.

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast

I'm going to be blunt.

we have the capacity for both, so Why not both. this shouldn't even be a question - we have the official look, then the blue-haired NES pallet limit look as an alt. if i'm not mistaken, even Marth has this with his light blue costume (replaced with the purple one in P:M).
639px-Marth_Palette_(SSBB).png

actually, it's more likely that default costume marth is the NES pallet one and that the light blue alt is actually based off official art.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
We actually don't have a lot of black-haired characters in Smash, so if Takamaru got in I say he should have black hair as the default and blue hair for recolor.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
That is the mentality of how people should see alt costumes should be to begin with. I don't see why anyone should argue over alt colors unless people do have a hard time differentiating team colors, or even characters apart from one another.

But to explain something relevant to your question, a lot of the time blue was used to portray black hair in old games. Because black was a color primarily used to help in stage designs / backgrounds. The only reason to make it blue would to appeal to nostalgic NES fans. So yeah. Blue should be an alt if not only for the sake of nostalgic fans.
I actually knew why this was a thing but I was just curious to see how many people associate the blue haired take from Captain Rainbow as the canon without knowing what it was inspired by.

BTW, Takamaru needs to have the jacket and kimono combination from Captain Rainbow as an actual alt. I love the colors and additional details, but I still think Famicom Box Art Taka is the best look he's had period.

For reference's sake, Mysterious Murasame Castle art of Takamaru (the simplicity in design is ace, also note the cool arm guards):

Captain Rainbow's Takamaru (note the vest and pants)

Last edited:

Malion

Smash Ace
I know this is pretty much off topic this point but I figured I'd just draw both ness and ninten with proposed differences to see what it would be like to have them together in a game.

edit: FIXED the pocket protector!

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I know this is pretty much off topic this point but I figured I'd just draw both ness and ninten with proposed differences to see what it would be like to have them together in a game.

You forgot his pocket protector 8U

Shin F.

Smash Master

They're about as different as Mario and Luigi. That's about as good as can be expected.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
But no seriously. I'll spoiler that for you guys so that it won't be an eye sore.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Are we still discussing Takamaru?

Good! :)

These are my color swap suggestions for him.

1.-Default
2.-Red
3.-Famicom pallette Blue
4.-Captain Rainbow Green
5.-Not Kenshin
6.-Not Shinigami Captain

Hope this wasn't too off topic, if it was, sorry. :(

Shin F.

Smash Master

1.-Default
2.-Red
3.-Famicom pallette Blue
4.-Captain Rainbow Green
5.-Not Kenshin
6.-Not Shinigami Captain

Clone Engine candidates are never off-topic, lol.

Unless we're excited over an awesome new possibility that hadn't been considered before - then, woe to anyone who disrupts the flow of ideas with Blackendorf, Pichu or Ridley discussion.

So yeah, you're good. I also really like those palette swaps.

Not Kenshin is great xD

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Clone Engine candidates are never off-topic, lol.

Unless we're excited over an awesome new possibility that hadn't been considered before - then, woe to anyone who disrupts the flow of ideas with Blackendorf, Pichu or Ridley discussion.

So yeah, you're good. I also really like those palette swaps.
Don't forget "2 meny soards"

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット

1.-Default
2.-Red
3.-Famicom pallette Blue
4.-Captain Rainbow Green
5.-Not Kenshin
6.-Not Shinigami Captain

I can dig it. The pink is a little off setting though.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal

1.-Default
2.-Red
3.-Famicom pallette Blue
4.-Captain Rainbow Green
5.-Not Kenshin
6.-Not Shinigami Captain

Don't forget "2 meny soards"
Tew Men E Srds. The only way to counter act this is to use bats instead. Vote for Ninten.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Ninten uses the Yo-yo/Slingshot tho

Inb4 stance change where Ninten steals Ness's moveset while having his own
As far as I know, Ninten doesn't use Yoyos. I checked several faqs to make sure of this.
But slingshot's dead on. Wonder how they'd pull that off, though, unless the projectile's invisible. (Or make him a Snake clone, lol)

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
As far as I know, Ninten doesn't use Yoyos. I checked several faqs to make sure of this.
But slingshot's dead on. Wonder how they'd pull that off, though, unless the projectile's invisible. (Or make him a Snake clone, lol)
Ness and Lucas have projectiles though : I

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Ness and Lucas don't learn almost any of their PSI Abilities. They've got them in Smash tho. So Nintendo could use a yo-yo.

Also Psychic Hipsters, no wonder Ninten's hat was sideways in the 80's.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
I don't particularly care for canon in relation to Ninten's use of a yoyo - having a fighter who can make extensive use of a weapon that's not really represented in the Smash games is too tempting to pass up, and it still fits him as a character. And I've always liked yoyos as a weapon.
Ninten did indeed use a Boomerang, by the way, but I feel like Link has the patent on that already. :p I could see him using a slingshot, though.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
For smash attacks?

Ooooh, you mean slingshot set to a Special? Yeah, that could work. :D
Did Ninten use a boomerang?
-
As for the too many swords...

How about..

Too many ZORDS instead. :p
You know as well as I do that I wasn't being serious. I play as freaking Roy and want Isaac. If anything I'm proswords all the way.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast

1.-Default
2.-Red
3.-Famicom pallette Blue
4.-Captain Rainbow Green
5.-Not Kenshin
6.-Not Shinigami Captain

i'd like to add a potental extra colour scheme based on an anime character to this.

[Elysium]Katanagatari.EP12(BD.720p.FLAC)[9D2400CB].mkv_snapshot_18.07_[2014.08.04_15.11.54].jpg

Shichika Yasuri from Katanagatari, a "swordless swordsman".
Anyone here seen it?

kind of outlandish, I understand, but even if one of Takamaru's costumes just consisted of maroon, black and white as it's main colors as a subtle reference I'd be happier than... something really happy I suppose.
this will be my one and only unreasonable wish for Project:M. and that in turn relies on Takamaru being a clone engine character to begin with.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143

1.-Default
2.-Red
3.-Famicom pallette Blue
4.-Captain Rainbow Green
5.-Not Kenshin
6.-Not Shinigami Captain

i'd like to add a potental extra colour scheme based on an anime character to this.

View attachment 20395

Shichika Yasuri from Katanagatari, a "swordless swordsman".
Anyone seen it?
no?
oh.

kind of outlandish, I understand, but even if one of Takamaru's costumes just consisted of maroon, black and white as it's main colors as a subtle reference I'd be happier than... something really happy I suppose.
this will be my one and only unreasonable wish for Project:M. and that in turn relies on Takamaru being a clone engine character to begin with.
You two are seriously bro tier posters. Kenshin and Shichika? Referenced on the same page for the same character I thought of? Kickass.

Don't know how they would fly in terms of logistics though. Might want to look into color alts that reference other Nintendo characters Takamaru might be allied with or thematically similar to.

That all said, black & white Taka looks amazing.

Last edited:

Insanity's Bane

Smash Rookie
Hello, I'm a new user. Casting my votes here was actually one of the main reasons I made this account.

Full Votes:
Isaac
Hector (because I would like to see an axe-wielder in Smash)
Dixie Kong

Half-Votes:
Takamaru
Krystal
Ray MK III
Saki
Ninten

Negative Vote:
Ganondorf/Black Shadow: Most of my argument has already been mentioned on this thread. Honestly, how I see it, Ganondorf's clone-y moves should just be replaced with something that better represents the King of Evil (such as his neutral B, n-air, up air, up smash, and forward smash. I'd mention his up B in that list but honestly I'm on the fence about that one).

EDIT: My bad.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Hello, I'm a new user. Casting my votes here was actually one of the main reasons I made this account.

Full Votes:
Issac
Hector (because I would like to see an axe-wielder in Smash)
Dixie Kong

Half-Votes:
Takamaru
Krystal
Ray MK III
Saki
Hades (Uprising) (giving him a full vote would only be a pipe dream)
Ninten

Negative Vote:
Ganondorf/Black Shadow: Most of my argument has already been mentioned on this thread. Honestly, how I see it, Ganondorf's clone-y moves should just be replaced with something that better represents the King of Evil (such as his neutral B, n-air, up air, up smash, and forward smash. I'd mention his up B in that list but honestly I'm on the fence about that one).
Hi, there. Welcome to SmashBoards.

I feel I should make sure to mention that Hades can't actually be voted for - one of the rules PMBR made for their Clone Engine is that, to avoid legal issues, they'll only use characters who are already licensed to appear in the game as a trophy or sticker, and Hades came after Brawl so he doesn't fall within the rules.

Having said that, those are all really excellent character choices.

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
You two are seriously bro tier posters. Kenshin and Shichika? Referenced on the same page for the same character I thought of? Kickass.

Don't know how they would fly in terms of logistics though. Might want to look into color alts that reference other Nintendo characters Takamaru might be allied with or thematically similar to.

That all said, black & white Taka looks amazing.
oh good I can actually talk about this and have one or 2 people understand what i'm going on about. you can't begin to understand just how much I love Katanagatari.

although i'm having a hard time thinking of thematically similar characters to Takamaru that AREN'T myrmidons from fire emblem. someone, help me.

actually, regarding Ganondorf, has anyone else heard this rumor that he's getting a mario-style cape flick to replace one of his existing specials?

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
I'm just a little worried for Hector support for the same reason I'm worried about Masked Man support. With the new alt costumes coming out that reference them their chances don't seem that likely to me.

... What if they are using these cosplay alts as a means of incorporating characters into PM that didn't make the cut? I smell a conspiracy.

actually, regarding Ganondorf, has anyone heard this rumor that he's getting a mario-style cape flick to replace one of his existing specials?
I know people were bringing up a concepts like that in the Triforce Ganondorf thread, but I haven't heard of it being an actual thing in PM. You sure you're not just confusing the two?

Also, since I brought it up, Ashingda just released a new version that has the three styles mixed into one moveset. It's pretty unique and interesting to say the least.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
oh good I can actually talk about this and have one or 2 people understand what i'm going on about. you can't begin to understand just how much I love Katanagatari.

although i'm having a hard time thinking of thematically similar characters to Takamaru that AREN'T myrmidons from fire emblem. someone, help me.
Hmmm, Samurai Goroh maybe? He has a Katana at least. Might be kind of funny to see Takamaru in Goroh-like clothes with goggles and such, lol.

Other than that, Lyn, and Teddy I don't know any more video game samurai. Outside games, there's always Kenshin, of course, but he's already been mentioned.
actually, regarding Ganondorf, has anyone else heard this rumor that he's getting a mario-style cape flick to replace one of his existing specials?
I hadn't. Where did you hear it?

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
I'm just a little worried for Hector support for the same reason I'm worried about Masked Man support. With the new alt costumes coming out that reference them their chances don't seem that likely to me.

... What if they are using these cosplay alts as a means of incorporating characters into PM that didn't make the cut? I smell a conspiracy.

I know people were bringing up a concepts like that in the Triforce ganon thread, but I haven't heard of it being an actual thing in PM. You sure you're not just confusing the two?
first off, they basically said exactly that when they introduced sigurd outfit Marth.

second, Never been in the triforce ganon thread. it floats around places like 4chan and the like. and things have had a tendancy to be both true and false there - i take everything with the obligatory grain of salt of course. but i keep hearing it's a way for him to deal with his poor match ups against projectile users.

Might be kind of funny to see Takamaru in Goroh-like clothes with goggles and such, lol.
that's sick.

Other than that, Lyn, and Teddy I don't know any more video game samurai. Outside games, there's always Kenshin, of course, but he's already been mentioned.
look, opinion time, at this point i'd be surprised if lyn isn't a shoe in, so that's kind of a waste. teddy is really reaching.

Shin F.

Smash Master
look, opinion time, at this point i'd be surprised if lyn isn't a shoe in, so that's kind of a waste. teddy is really reaching.
Never said I expected they'd be done, just that they were the only VG Samurai I knew. This is entirely fun speculation in any case, since PMBR has the rule about Alt Costumes not referencing anything outside their own series.

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Practically the whole cast from Samurai Showdown and The Last Blade are all good places to look for color schemes as well. And Jin Kisaragi. There are a ton of VG samurai to chose from.

Just thinking of VG samurai, I remembered Musashi: Samurai Legend. Haven't even played that game before, but I remember reading about it in a really old game informer lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom