• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Since Prince Sable was deconfirmed, a half-vote couldn't hurt.

+1/2 for Sabure Prince (how the Brawl sticker spells it)

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Since Prince Sable was deconfirmed, a half-vote couldn't hurt.

+1/2 for Sabure Prince (how the Brawl sticker spells it)
I believe I half-voted him earlier, but I can't find him in the sheet. I think it may have been uncounted since it was just before the voting closed, so I'll have to be sure to add it the next time I start tallying votes. Just in case one of the others beats me to it, and as a reminder to myself if I forget:

+1/2 Sabure Prince

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
HAHA! I was the one to bring up Prince Sabre forever ago, and now he has a 3d model to base his design on.

I haven't voted since page one of this thread, but now....

+1 Prince Sabre/Sabure Prince

Shin F.

Smash Master
HAHA! I was the one to bring up Prince Sabre forever ago, and now he has a 3d model to base his design on.

Yeah, I remember you, me and Saito discussing some possibilities when he was brought up. I think there was an interesting idea where his crawl animation could have him turn into his snake form, right? And his side special could be a very quick transition into crawling while biting anyone he touches, which would be utilized more than it would be in most movesets that have it.

I also remember someone saying his frog form could be his recovery?

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord

THAT LONG?

Dayum that's like 9 months man.

Yeah, I remember you,me and Saito discussing some possibilities when he was brought up. I think there was an interesting idea where his crawl animation could have him turn into his snake form, right? And his side special could be a very quick transition into crawling.
I remember this too.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
+1/2 to Prince Sable. Such a charming little character design. The music from his game alone should warrant some love.

The best part? He'd definitely be Smash's first stance character with those frog/snake transformations.

Edit: Nintendo has a gold mine of awesome characters and properties being slept on I swear. It almost feels like if there's a niche being under served by their current top of the line, they have something from an old era that scratches your itch in the vault.

If we seriously were to make a Prince Sable moveset though, who would make for a good base? I thought Toon Link in the past but that wouldn't cover his transforms would they?

Last edited:

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
+1/2 to Sable Prince.

I loved his game a lot. It's one of the few games I've emulated.

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
THAT LONG?

Dayum that's like 9 months man.
And I still have 3 full votes left to give. ;)

If anyone would like to bribe me to vote for their favorite characters, now would be the time.

Edit: Also, considering Takamaru has gotten an official English release with his inclusion in Smash, The Frog For Whom the Bell Tolls might be getting the same treatment.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
If anyone would like to bribe me to vote for their favorite characters, now would be the time.
Haha, I would - but this is Sabure's time to shine a little, I think.
If we seriously were to make a Prince Sable moveset though, who would make for a good base? I thought Toon Link in the past but that wouldn't cover his transforms would they?
The transformations can be solved by visibility bones. Basically, all three of his models (Human, Snake, Frog) are there, but the visibility can be turned on and off as needed. This wouldn't be possible for complex and varied transformations like Mask Link, but with a character as simple as Sabure and his Snake and Frog forms, it might be possible. They wouldn't be full movesets, of course, but he would be able to just change for a couple of attacks this way. This is theoretical of course, there may be practical issues with doing it this way. Maybe any PMBR who happen to be lurking around here would know for sure?

You know, maybe he could be a scaled-down version of one of the other swordsmen. It'd be pretty fun to have a mini-Ike running around, lol.

Last edited:

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
Haha, I would - but this is Sabure's time to shine a little, I think.
I agree, here are some mechanics you posted in March when I first brought up the idea.

I would like to suggest, as a quick way to go from other actions to snake crawling, his side special should immediately make him dive forward (and downward in the air) and transform into a snake, sending him quickly into crawling while biting anything in his path before he hits the ground. It would act like Pit's side special, but he would crawl instead of glide.

I would also make it possible for other moves to cancel into side-special for quick combos / getaways, but that depends entirely on balance.

Of course, he would also have a standard crawl attack in addition to a special crawl attack. Perhaps the standard crawl attack could be a normal bite and the special one could be a venomous / flower bite that deals less initial damage but hurts over time.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
And I still have 3 full votes left to give. ;)

Edit: Also, considering Takamaru has gotten an official English release with his inclusion in Smash, The Frog For Whom the Bell Tolls might be getting the same treatment.
Vote Takamaru! We're in this together Sable and Taka fans. Let's get our boys the spotlights they deserve. :D

But for real, do it and you'd be my best friend.

I'm open to address any questions or comments you might have on supporting Takamaru. Alternatively, you could click some links in my sig and see what's up.

/shameless advertising

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Vote Takamaru! We're in this together Sable and Taka fans. Let's get our boys the spotlights they deserve. :D

But for real, do it and you'd be my best friend.
But that's only two characters. You can't just team up with two characters.

You have to have a trio.

Sable, Taka, and Ninten - best trio ever.

Any ideas for what Sable's neutral special could be, btw?

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
But that's only two characters. You can't just team up with two characters.

You have to have a trio.

Sable, Taka, and Ninten - best trio ever.
Needs a gal.

Sable, Taka, Ninten and Lip for the M-Squad.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
For real though, as each day passes, I find myself wishing that the PMBR had more clone engine spots to work with. h well, back to figuring out clever ways to campaign for based Taka.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Okay, so I've just started playing For the Frog the Bell Tolls, and one thing I've noticed very quickly is that Prince Sable loves to toss cash around, lol. In the space of like 10 minutes (including cutscenes and gameplay) he has: bought a ship for 8999999 (whatever currency this is), gave a woman another 1000000 for a bottle of wine she gave him (health potion, basically) and attempted to bribe a guard to lower a bridge, lol.

Does anyone else think he should have an attack where he literally throws a bag of cash at an enemy? Lol, taking a bit of inspiration from Final Fantasy's "Spare Change" skill where the more you throw, the more damage it does. So you can throw a small bag very quickly for a little damage, or charge the attack to give him time to stuff more cash in to increase the damage.

It could even be a good opportunity to put that 'coin' effect to some good use, lol.

Last edited:

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
Then we just need to have Isaac as their leader, lol.

Is there anything Sabure can do outside his sword/ transformations btw? Or does anyone know? I might have to go and play his game to see.
What, being an accomplish swordsman, next in line for the throne with the ability to transform and communicate with both frogs and snakes isn't enough for you?

Well, he can also cut down trees with a saw, mine with a pickaxe, pick up boulders with the power bracelets/gloves, control a large mammoth with a mechanical helmet, play the flute, team up with an army of former-human frogs, and hold certain items with bottles (like potions). He can be equipped with a mirror shield as well, although it isn't a useable item - just increases defense and deflects damage (but the PMBR could get creative).

Man, looking back at what I wrote, this is a weird game.

Edit: Shin, that money is gone very quickly, and doesn't reflect the Prince's endeavors later in the game (keep playing, the story is actually pretty good).

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
You know, a "Shut Up And Take My Money" move just sounds like something that should already be in Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
What, being an accomplish swordsman, next in line for the throne with the ability to transform and communicate with both frogs and snakes isn't enough for you?

Well, he can also cut down trees with a saw, mine with a pickaxe, pick up boulders with the power bracelets/gloves, control a large mammoth with a mechanical helmet, play the flute, team up with an army of former-human frogs, and hold certain items with bottles (like potions). He can be equipped with a mirror shield as well, although it isn't a useable item - just increases defense and deflects damage (but the PMBR could get creative).

Man, looking back at what I wrote, this is a weird game.
Not that it isn't enough - not at all. It's just good to have a lot of options to choose from so he can be more flexible.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
You all playing For Whom The Frog Bell Tolls now have me all kinds of intrigued. I'll have to try that out when I wake up though, time for sleep. Before I go though,

@ Friesnchip Friesnchip , how's about that Takamaru vote? ;)

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
You all playing For Whom The Frog Bell Tolls now have me all kinds of intrigued. I'll have to try that out when I wake up though, time for sleep. Before I go though,

@ Friesnchip Friesnchip , how's about that Takamaru vote? ;)
Oh, geez. See, I was kinda thinking of voting for different obscure, retro Nintendo male swordsman... lol.

I might throw him a half vote if I see a cool moveset posted here, but right now I'm all about this Sable/Sabre/Sabure business.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Oh, geez. See, I was kinda thinking of voting for different obscure, retro Nintendo male swordsman... lol.

I might throw him a half vote if I see a cool moveset posted here, but right now I'm all about this Sable/Sabre/Sabure business.
Why_not_both.jpg

Moveset granted!

My pet project for tomorrow is a write up covering all the bases on why Takamaru's a great pick as well as making a more projectile oriented move set and informing others in a digestable manner about his history. It'll be a neat little catch all for thread regulars and newbies alike. If @ Shin F. Shin F. ,@ Solbliminal Solbliminal or any of the folks who do the blurbs for the OP want to shoot me a format for doing them, I could also try to write it in that format as well.

Edit: What are the limitations of the Clone Engine when it comes to projectiles again?

Last edited:

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
If @ Shin F. Shin F. ,@ Solbliminal Solbliminal or any of the folks who do the blurbs for the OP want to shoot me a format for doing them, I could also try to write it in that format as well.
>Is talking directly to me about Takamaru
>Doesn't ask me as one of the people updating the OP about the OP for Takamaru

Ouch. No, but we have everything taken care of in regards to the 'blurb' for characters, as we usually discuss it a bit with one another before approving it for the update.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
>Is talking directly to me about Takamaru
>Doesn't ask me as one of the people updating the OP about the OP for Takamaru

Ouch. No, but we have everything taken care of in regards to the 'blurb' for characters, as we usually discuss it a bit with one another before approving it for the update.
Oh wow, I guess this should let you know how tired I am. Sincerely sorry.

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
+1 Sami
+1 Lyn
+1 Black Shadow / Ganondorf
+1 Isaac

+1 Ashley (WarioWare)
If we're talking about clones, I believe Ashley could be a good choice. She's a fairly popular character and could share movesets between various other characters, with Zelda as a base. Plus, more ladies. Also, with Wario being almost completely changed to Wario Land instead of WarioWare... let's get some WarioWare rep back in!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
+1 Sami
+1 Lyn
+1 Prince Sable
+1 Sukapon

+1 Takamaru

While missing out his chance in Wii U/3DS, he would be a great addition to Project M through the power of the Clone Engine. Despite being an iado character like Lyn, he would have more zoning options due to the abilities of his other weapons. While you can make a custom model for him, it definitely needs to be equally as pretty as his AT model (No Uncanny Valley Warriors 3 plz). A character like him could easily benefit from this games engine with windmill swords flying faster than the speed of sound.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Is it time for the "spontaneous votes to deconfirmed Sm4sh characters I didn't know I wanted until the were deconfirmed" moment?

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Ironically enough, we have yet to see Isaac or Ray MK III in Smash 4. I certainly hope their representation wasn't completely cut...

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
+1 Takamaru
+1 Isaac
+1 Black Shadow

I'm gonna save the rest of my points in case any other retro characters with prime moveset potential get de-confirmed for Smash 4.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Can we PLEEEASE have some more sword-users?:p

But seriously, has there been any news or hints regarding additional characters for P:M, or are they deciding to wait until the roster for Smash 4 is known?

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
+1 Takamaru
+1 Isaac
+1 Black Shadow

I'm gonna save the rest of my points in case any other retro characters with prime moveset potential get de-confirmed for Smash 4.
Holy crap it's Grimmer. You are officially awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom