• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Are you serious? How is this still a thread if the vast majority is people who don't participate. Isn't there a big P:M manifesto on how it needs to be made for its specific user base already?

And then considering that all of that is true, why do actual players (you guys I assume/ Edge the Lucas) still take this thread seriously?
You can't really filter who votes. If those characters getting in PM will make them want to play PM, then it's for the better. At least they're willing to play PM, unlike the people that manifesto was addressing.

We take this thread seriously because it's the only one we have. Ask people in PM Social about this thread. The majority of people there don't.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
But this is where you run into the problem of the game (and aspects of it) being influenced by people outside its real scope. Like casual players advocating of dual balance between the competitive meta and the casual meta. It's an issue of focus on the developers part and how they want to support the community without supporting ridiculous ideas.

But I'm kind of noticing that this thread is the way a lot of players get 500 likes to there 60 posts or whatever. Not to discredit you guys, as it seems like your doing what needs to be done the only way how, and for that I respect you, (even when I'm mocked), but the discussion here seems very sub meta. Lots of "this is neat" *steve and 30 others liked this post*. Again, I'm not trying to offend, you guys seem mostly reasonable, but this looks very hovel-of the-casual to me, which isn't really my shtick.

I'm really a pretty good poster when I'm not here though. Promise. You should look at the Mario guide. I helped. It's pretty great, and I think deserving of the like showers that wander here. I'm only like this rarely :drshrug:

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I bring it up because it's in the OP. Not for fun. It's still being voted for/ on which is pretty counter to what you guys are saying as it sounds from your perspective like it's split down the middle, but on the voting front it's one of the favorites.
Are you serious? How is this still a thread if the vast majority is people who don't participate. Isn't there a big P:M manifesto on how it needs to be made for its specific user base already?

And then considering that all of that is true, why do actual players (you guys I assume/ Edge the Lucas) still take this thread seriously?
Well, the reason it's a liked decision is because a lot of people like Ganondorf's current moveset plenty, but they simply feel that it doesn't exactly suit Ganondorf himself. The idea was to give his current moveset to an F-Zero character since the clone of Captain Falcon would now share the appropriate series, and Black Shadow is generally agreed upon to be the perfect match should the decision come to fruition.

As a result, while the other side likes to paint us as shallow (hurr durr only Smash 4 people vote for the decision) and "not real Smash fans," the reality is that we genuinely like his current set while also being able to deal with it being given to someone else in order to create a fresh template for a completely different, but also potentially awesome, Ganondorf whose abilities fall more in line with how he is in the Zelda games. There are a few Ganondorf mains who wouldn't mind the change, but they only made brief appearances and have largely been absent from here for a long time so I can't specifically point to anyone in particular.

I'm not gonna argue with you, and if you attempt to belittle me or the others who find the decision fine, I'm not gonna respond as to avoid argument--I simply want to paint a picture of the other side for you that's more accurate than "non-Project M fans vote for the decision and no one else." I say all this because I understand rather heavily that the change would be incredibly drastic for Ganondorf mains without actually being one, which is why I personally don't NEED for the decision to happen myself even though I voted for it. In the end, I sincerely hope I broadened your view on the Project M fans (I myself am one, it's my go-to Smash, even just for fun) who like the decision.

Last edited:

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
But I'm kind of noticing that this thread is the way a lot of players get 500 likes to there 60 posts or whatever. Not to discredit you guys, as it seems like your doing what needs to be done the only way how, and for that I respect you, (even when I'm mocked), but the discussion here seems very sub meta. Lots of "this is neat" *steve and 30 others liked this post*. Again, I'm not trying to offend, you guys seem mostly reasonable, but this looks very hovel-of the-casual to me, which isn't really my shtick.
The reason a lot of people in this thread get lots of likes is because we post things that are on topic and things that many other people agree with, which are things that you have not really been doing.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
Jesus Edge, I made one iffy post and you think I'm just fond of popping off now? We used to be bruhs, bruh. I get what you're saying, I know all that. It's just that it's kinda something that would happen to the Ganondorf mains while most of them wouldn't be in favor of it. I totally understand the logic behind it, and I think that that version of Ganondorf would be cool, but I'd rather not have the version of Ganondorf the mains love get yoinked because of what non Ganon mains want.

The reason a lot of people in this thread get lots of likes is because we post things that are on topic and things that many other people agree with, which are things that you have not really been doing.
Look man, I get that how this usually works is a guy pops off, the mod calls them on it, and being contrary to the guy who popped off seems like its in style or whatever, but its just tired.

Logically posting a contrary opinion isn't going to get many likes but I wasn't complaining about that, just pointing out something.

Just get off me for five seconds. I contribute to this community the same as everyone else, and I'm active as hell in other parts of the forums giving good advice to try to help players. I've done hard work on a full Mario write up for christs sake.

I don't need demonizing. You don't need to demonize me. That's kinda just going at this whole thread.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Jesus Edge, I made one iffy post and you think I'm just fond of popping off now? We used to be bruhs, bruh. I get what you're saying, I know all that. It's just that it's kinda something that would happen to the Ganondorf mains while most of them wouldn't be in favor of it. I totally understand the logic behind it, and I think that that version of Ganondorf would be cool, but I'd rather not have the version of Ganondorf the mains love get yoinked because of what non Ganon mains want.

Look man, I get that how this usually works is a guy pops off, the mod calls them on it, and being contrary to the guy who popped off seems like its in style or whatever, but its just tired.

Logically posting a contrary opinion isn't going to get many likes but I wasn't complaining about that, just pointing out something.

Just get off me for five seconds. I contribute to this community the same as everyone else, and I'm active as hell in other parts of the forums giving good advice to try to help players. I've done hard work on a full Mario write up for christs sake. I don't need demonizing. You don't need to demonize me.
Nobody is against you man. The way you approached everyone was with hostility, and the way you pressed on was as if we should have been on a mission to change everyone's opinion about something we have no control over. Please understand. Nobody here wants to talk about this because we've already went through this cycle. We are not disregarding your opinion. We've already heard your opinion. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh in any way, but that is just how it is.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I know I know. I just worry is all. I liked this thread, but the way it's been explained to me is kinda disheartening. Like I've played with one of the programmer/ wizards of this game, and when I excitedly told him about **** from smashboards he just responded with "yeah, people say a lot of stuff on smashboards". Some people discredit the stuff that goes on here because of threads/ content with more quantity than quality, which is what this kinda looks like.

But I'm obviously in the minority so I'll just bounce back to the more focused part of the forums.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I know I know. I just worry is all. I liked this thread, but the way it's been explained to me is kinda disheartening. Like I've played with one of the programmer/ wizards of this game, and when I excitedly told him about **** from smashboards he just responded with "yeah, people say a lot of stuff on smashboards". Some people discredit the stuff that goes on here because of threads/ content with more quantity than quality, which is what this kinda looks like.

But I'm obviously in the minority so I'll just bounce back to the more focused part of the forums.
I feel that, and I'm a frequent poster.
It sucks but it's admittedly true.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal

No one is discrediting what you are saying. All things that are made note of in this thread are just speculation, and this is a fan made poll. The PMBR does come in and read through our opinions from time to time, and even communicates with us too. They are well aware of our opinion and others. The fact that Shadic was just here is proof he was paying attention to the argument at hand. That shows there was weight behind your words. Do not be discouraged. They are fans, just as they are professionals. This poll is not fact and should not be taken as such, since there is a large unaccounted for majority that is vocal in and outside of this thread.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I'm so confused right now. lol

Regarding this soon-upcoming crapfest of awful posts that are sure to come:

Don't.
Is this in response to people coming by when characters get torpedo'd out of the running for Smash 4 or something else I missed?

Shin F.

Smash Master

Is this in response to people coming by when characters get torpedo'd out of the running for Smash 4 or something else I missed?
Uhhh

Not quite. There was a very inflammatory post before that about Black Shadow / Ganondorf. We all know how that ends - Alakadoof thankfully seems to have headed it off before it could happen, praise be to Doof.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I wanna discuss Isaac again.

I'm starting to think he could add something called "move availability" to Project M. "What the hell are you talkin' bout, boy?" you might be asking. Well, in Golden Sun, there are these things called Djinni that, when used, unleash an ability of a sort. Isaac can have up to 7 of these, but we'll stick with Venus Djinni since that's basically earth magic, and only use 3. When a Djinni is used, it becomes a point toward summoning: after 1 Djinni is used, a weak summon is available to be called upon, and after 2 are used a stronger summon can come out, and it goes on. Essentially, a different move is available depending on how many Djinni-centered moves you got to connect with the opponent.

I came up with this as a good way to make Isaac unique beyond "attacks with an Earth theme." Summons like Ramses and Cybele could materialize using down-B after using some attacks that use Djinni. Like, say Flint is part of Isaac's forward smash (since the effect is basically "regular attack is stronger") while Ground and Bane are 2 of his specials. Summon could be his down special, so if he's performed all 3 Djinni-centered attacks successfully (preferably on-hit to make it fair), then his summon could be Cybele. But let's say you don't want Cybele and want Ramses, which only requires 2 Djinni attacks, or wanna save Bane for later--just use one of your Djinni-centered attacks again to "set" it again (as in it no longer counts toward "summon points"), it doesn't have to be on-hit either.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how this could work using the clone engine, but it was a fun exercise I just made for myself here and now so it entertained me at least :p I'd be more than fine to have Isaac in the game even without the Djinni gimmick because earth mage w00t

GeZ

Smash Lord

Yeeeeees, it was all the Smash 4 fans fault....... MuahahahaHAHAHAHA

It was me tho. soz ._.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master

I'm starting to think he could add something called "move availability" to Project M. "What the hell are you talkin' bout, boy?" you might be asking. Well, in Golden Sun, there are these things called Djinni that, when used, unleash an ability of a sort. Isaac can have up to 7 of these, but we'll stick with Venus Djinni since that's basically earth magic, and only use 3. When a Djinni is used, it becomes a point toward summoning: after 1 Djinni is used, a weak summon is available to be called upon, and after 2 are used a stronger summon can come out, and it goes on. Essentially, a different move is available depending on how many Djinni-centered moves you got to connect with the opponent.

I came up with this as a good way to make Isaac unique beyond "attacks with an Earth theme." Summons like Ramses and Cybele could materialize using down-B after using some attacks that use Djinni. Like, say Flint is part of Isaac's forward smash (since the effect is basically "regular attack is stronger") while Ground and Bane are 2 of his specials. Summon could be his down special, so if he's performed all 3 Djinni-centered attacks successfully (preferably on-hit to make it fair), then his summon could be Cybele. But let's say you don't want Cybele and want Ramses, which only requires 2 Djinni attacks, or wanna save Bane for later--just use one of your Djinni-centered attacks again to "set" it again (as in it no longer counts toward "summon points"), it doesn't have to be on-hit either.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how this could work using the clone engine, but it was a fun exercise I just made for myself here and now so it entertained me at least :p I'd be more than fine to have Isaac in the game even without the Djinni gimmick because earth mage w00t
Not sure how viable / possible it is, but damned if that doesn't sound cool!

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Not sure how viable / possible it is, but damned if that doesn't sound cool!
:b:

I'm creative gaiz

Also to add, his Final Smash would obviously be Judgement, which is the strongest Venus summon for him and looks badass.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
Pretty sweet. I do love me some caster character, and if P:M got one I would go full on tinfoil hat crazy be pretty jazzed.

Edit: oh god, and he's a summoner. Like, that's what I play in every rpg. That's what I've played since Morrowind. That being in P:M is literally my wet dream. PLS PMBR

Last edited:

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman

Interesting. I would like to add that after using a Djinn's ability in Golden Sun there is a cool-down period before it can be utilized again, which is indicated by a noise prompt and effect when that time comes. So in P:M, it would make sense that using a more powerful summon would require a longer cool-down, and the player (and opponent) would receive a cue (similar to the green flash for Luigi's stored side special) when the individual Djinn abilities are available once more.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Interesting. I would like to add that after using a Djinn's ability in Golden Sun there is a cool-down period before it can be utilized again, which is indicated by a noise prompt and effect when that time comes. So in P:M, it would make sense that using a more powerful summon would require a longer cool-down, and the player (and opponent) would receive a cue (similar to the green flash for Luigi's stored side special) when the individual Djinn abilities are available once more.
I feel that could be indirectly represented by having all of the Djinni-centered attacks, after being used on-hit, have more startup lag to represent "setting" them, then getting said noise, and that after a summon what you just described would also happen--they'd be set in the order you last used them (i.e. Flint then Ground if you did that order to use Ramses).

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Isaac is still very cool.

admittedly I've never played the golden sun games and I have to say the djinn proposals people are coming up with sound like a hellish nightmare for the PMBR to hypothetically implement, but, for one thing, they are capable of working a certain amount of magic, and another, I have a friend who would be pretty damn hype for any golden sun love.

Also I like Ganondorf and his NotCaptainFalcon moveset. the deceptively fast nature of it and it's general overbearing nature on him is very "Triforce of Power" to me. Especially with a 2 hit tilt capable of dealing around 30% damage.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I'm gonna have to -1 Ninten. All arguments for Mother being well-represented enough aside, the main problem with him is that he looks too damn much like Ness. The idea would never fly because most people would have not be able to easily distinguish him for Ness. And no, I don't think a turned hat or wearing a bandana will help. Just look at IGN; they just recently used a picture of Ninten (like Shin's avatar) as Ness in one of their headlines. Finally, in terms of importance, he did not do much for the series. The big hit was the second game, Earthbound/Mother 2. With Ness and Lucas, we have plenty of diversity for the Mother characters, but if for some reason it was decided that another was to be added, I would rather go Masked Man (well personally, I want Porky, but that's not possible), who I'm also rather ambivalent about.
I think they look different enough. Hell, the PM guys added a Melee Link costume, which is very similar to his default costume, but a bit brighter.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
You already did, actually.
Yeah, I'm just explaining my vote now.

I think they look different enough. Hell, the PM guys added a Melee Link costume, which is very similar to his default costume, but a bit brighter.
That doesn't make sense. You're saying they look different enough to be a different character (for anyone that does, I think you need to take a step back and look at it from a non-Mother fan's perspective), but it's okay because Link's costume is similar? If anything, Ninten could be a costume for Ness, but he'd hardly look like anything more than a palette swap.

Last edited:

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
Smash Bros Ganondorf is his own definitive version
That's where the problem lies. Every character in Smash has been accurately represented to their original franchise. Why should Ganondorf be exempt from this rule? Since Smash is a crossover game it is a requirement to take inspiration from Nintendo characters and their existing games and since the Legend of Zelda games have fighting involved in it's story, I don't see why Ganondorf became who he currently is.

They're not maining a moveset, they're often maining their favorite character, and to want to take that because you want a new secondary is mean.
Personally, I don't agree. There are some people who said they didn't mind the change because their character will still live on in Black Shadow since Ganondorf's current moveset is similar to Captain Falcon's, it would make sense for the switch. Also, it's been brought up that some people cannot adjust to a different skin (why I don't know, a lot of people change skins all the time in Brawl Vault) but that number may not be as big as you may think (I know Smashboards isn't an accurate representation of the Project M fanbase so don't quote me on this). Also, if people are maining their favorite character it is more than likely for their moveset (since Ganondorf is falsely represented, it can't be for the character itself, unless they're happy with the way Sakurai messed with their character).

I sounded so toxic at first because this is something not a lot of players put into perspective. Ganondorf is already one of the worst characters in the game and now players want to take that he's even Ganondorf? Do you see how people would have a negative reaction? Maybe?

You're forgiven and I understand how you and other current Ganon supporters feel, but I ask you take a look at the other perspective. If change doesn't occur now it will never happen; Ganon will continue to be misrepresented in the eyes of Blackendorf supporters. The way you make things sound is that they're removing the character's essence which they aren't because the Ganondorf from Smash and Ganondorf from Legend of Zelda are two different people in the eyes of Blackendorf fans.

This topic is so controversial that I choose not to take one side which is why I never up voted, 1/2 voted, or down voted Blackendorf. That being said hopefully you understand Blackendorf fans from a neutral standpoint. Maybe? :p

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Yeah, I'm just explaining my vote now.

That doesn't make sense. You're saying they look different enough to be a different character (for anyone that does, I think you need to take a step back and look at it from a non-Mother fan's perspective), but it's okay because Link's costume is similar? If anything, Ninten could be a costume for Ness, but he'd hardly look like anything more than a palette swap.

That's a bad example. Like seriously bad. This particular picture was created by an artist who chose to make them look extremely similar. Shin's renders are proof enough that Ninten and Ness can differ enough in appearance to be present in the same medium.

I personally use Shin's Ninten texture over half of my Ness colors, and have played several games in which both characters are present. Even with the same moveset I can clearly tell a difference, and did not mix them up once.

It truly shouldn't be something of concern. I'm not saying you weren't just, think what you want to think. But please don't post bad examples that incorrectly display the situation and falsely influence people's votes and views.

Last edited:

Exodo

Smash Ace
That's where the problem lies. Every character in Smash has been accurately represented to their original franchise. Why should Ganondorf be exempt from this rule? Since Smash is a crossover game it is a requirement to take inspiration from Nintendo characters and their existing games and since the Legend of Zelda games have fighting involved in it's story, I don't see why Ganondorf became who he currently is.

Personally, I don't agree. There are some people who said they didn't mind the change because their character will still live on in Black Shadow since Ganondorf's current moveset is similar to Captain Falcon's, it would make sense for the switch. Also, it's been brought up that some people cannot adjust to a different skin (why I don't know, a lot of people change skins all the time in Brawl Vault) but that number may not be as big as you may think (I know Smashboards isn't an accurate representation of the Project M fanbase so don't quote me on this). Also, if people are maining their favorite character it is more than likely for their moveset (since Ganondorf is falsely represented, it can't be for the character itself, unless they're happy with the way Sakurai messed with their character).

You're forgiven and I understand how you and other current Ganon supporters feel, but I ask you take a look at the other perspective. If change doesn't occur now it will never happen; Ganon will continue to be misrepresented in the eyes of Blackendorf supporters. The way you make things sound is that they're removing the character's essence which they aren't because the Ganondorf from Smash and Ganondorf from Legend of Zelda are two different people in the eyes of Blackendorf fans.
This topic is so controversial that I choose not to take one side which is why I never up voted, 1/2 voted, or down voted Blackendorf. That being said hopefully you understand Blackendorf fans from a neutral standpoint. Maybe? :p
i would main both so i really dont care all i want is to see ganondorf with a unique moveset while getting a newcomer (BlackShadow) with the old one which i would still be using!

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
i would main both so i really dont care all i want is to see ganondorf with a unique moveset while getting a newcomer (BlackShadow) with the old one which i would still be using!
That would pretty much be the best of both worlds :). Black Shadow and Ganondorf are similar in physique so it would be easier to adjust to the character if Blackendorf is included. Unfortunately, it's impossible to make everyone acknowledge the idea...status quo, anti-change, and all that :p

TheCometCE

Smash Rookie
Indie characters in general would be pretty awesome. If only there were a group of modders dedicated to making such a fantastic piece of work like Project M, but with Indie Characters. -cough cough-
Basically prod Elecbyte until he finally makes that MUGEN 3D engine he mentioned he wanted to do about 6 years ago :3

edit: eh...page loaded weird and was convinced that post was the most recent....ah well XD

Last edited:

Exodo

Smash Ace
That would pretty much be the best of both worlds :). Black Shadow and Ganondorf are similar in physique so it would be easier to adjust to the character if Blackendorf is included. Unfortunately, it's impossible to make everyone acknowledge the idea...status quo, anti-change, and all that :p
i feel the best way to actually add Black Shadow is to clone him from captain falcon and then edit him and give him ganondorfs moveset and simply make a new one (PSA) for Ganondorf using magic and his sword and he could use some hovering mechanics like mewtwo's. :estatic::denzel::estatic:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
That's a bad example. Like seriously bad. This particular picture was created by an artist who chose to make them look extremely similar. Shin's renders are proof enough that Ninten and Ness can differ enough in appearance to be present in the same medium.

I personally use Shin's Ninten texture over half of my Ness colors, and have played several games in which both characters are present. Even with the same moveset I can clearly tell a difference, and did not mix them up once.

It truly shouldn't be something of concern. I'm not saying you weren't just, think what you want to think. But please don't post bad examples that incorrectly display the situation and falsely influence people's votes and views.
Dude, just because he chose to make them similar does not mean that's wrong. It's more the fact that most of his fanart choose to make them different. Ninten's art never has him officially wearing that bandana or having different clothes. That whole rendering is a fan creation.

and

Those are the official pictures. The only major difference is the hat direction (left vs right...) and the backpack.

And Shin's render is proof enough that it are not different enough. Like I said before, just look at IGN the other day. One of their headline Smash Bros images used Shin's Ninten render right in the middle -- because they thought he was Ness. Just because they're ignorant about it is besides the point. They represent the average Nintendo gamer still.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom