• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Actually, tell me more about Teddy. I've recently felt like every time I've posted in this thread, I've had tunnel vision towards my favorites and haven't investigated the non-OP post nominees brought up every now and again.

But seriously, vote for Takamaru and you'll be my best friend. :)

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I say Takamaru because there are other FE characters I'd rather see over Lyn, like Ephraim, for instance. She doesn't have to fill the samurai quota if we already have someone else who can more suitably fill the mold while adding cool ranged projectiles.
This is pretty much where I am with the extra addition of also bringing another franchise into view instead of being "just another face" in a well established one.

Mind you either way I'll be happy for just getting the play style, but I'm a lot more vested in Takamaru.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
In the first Mother game, Teddy is a superstrong katana-using gangster who briefly joins you to help you get through the hardest place in the game, Mt. Itoi / Holy Loly Mountain. However, since his appearance is rather brief I'm not too partial to putting him in over a different Mother character (Ninten or Masked Man). If we're going with katanas, then Takamaru all the way.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Actually, tell me more about Teddy. I've recently felt like every time I've posted in this thread, I've had tunnel vision towards my favorites and haven't investigated the non-OP post nominees brought up every now and again.

But seriously, vote for Takamaru and you'll be my best friend. :)
I gave Takamaru a halfsy.

Teddy is a part member in Mother 1/Earthbound Zero. He's an ex-mobster that wields a katana among other items.

He has some pretty sweet move set potential, but really he's just a joke I bring up when Katana speak happens. Ninten is the right Earthbound rep, putting a party member in over the protagonist is ludicrous.

Edit: I lost my edge.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Knight Link works.

If we could add any 3rd Party at all? If it were possible I'd add Mega Man, of course, but as we all know - it's not.
My 3rd party pick is phoenix wright definitely
What about Bayonetta? She could be pretty interesting with a moveset similar to Zero Suit Samus
3rd Party pick for me would be Conker.

Hands down.
Thanks.

Quote from Cave Story, but it's impossible so yeah.
sounds pretty cool.

So i have a question. If u could get any third party character added who would u want it to be

Ondo

Smash Apprentice
This question is inspired by the short convo I had with @DEM GREEN EYES a few pages back. So for those of you who support the idea of a distinctly eastern swordplay character, which samurai appeals to you more, Takamaru or Lyn and why?
Definitely Lyn. Her game is one of my favorites, and she's my favorite character from it.

While Takamaru does add a new franchise, Lyn does represent a game that has no other reps currently, and is significant as the first Fire Emblem released outside Japan.

Also, Takamaru seems a lot more likely to eventually show up in the main Smash series, and I'd prefer characters whose only chance at Brawl is through this.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
look, Takamaru is cool and all, but Lyn has

1. the first fire emblem game released in the west
2. the massive boost of popularity the series got from Awakening (not to mention it saved it from being axed as a whole)
2. already being an assist trophy in the game

I just think that one more FE rep, the most popular of the three lords of her game despite her (and Hector) being secondary to Eliwood, from the most universally known game in the series at the time of Brawl's release is more than justified.

actually, does anyone else have the same beef I have with assist trophies? to me they're not much more than "look who isn't playable!" items that fall into Brawl's redundant armoury that made myself and all my friends turn off items way, WAY before P:M was released.

and hell, why not both? there's 5 slots left. If 2/3 of those characters end up with swords (Lyn, Takamaru, Isaac), they're all characters that can easily have movesets built to focus less on actual swordplay. okay, less so with Lyn, but she's at least got a bow to mix it up.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Who wants to win my heart and give a positive vote to Masked Man and/or Ninten?
If I haven't done both before, +1/2 to both Ninten and Masked Man. Shin F's moveset for Ninten made me a bit interested quite a while back with him playing like how I imagined Mike Jones would (lots of Yo-Yo tricks with the yo-yo having different "levels" based on Smash attack charges and other items relegated to a special).

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
look, Takamaru is cool and all, but Lyn has

1. the first fire emblem game released in the west
2. the massive boost of popularity the series got from Awakening (not to mention it saved it from being axed as a whole)
2. already being an assist trophy in the game

I just think that one more FE rep, the most popular of the three lords of her game despite her (and Hector) being secondary to Eliwood, from the most universally known game in the series at the time of Brawl's release is more than justified.

actually, does anyone else have the same beef I have with assist trophies? to me they're not much more than "look who isn't playable!" items that fall into Brawl's redundant armoury that made myself and all my friends turn off items way, WAY before P:M was released.

and hell, why not both? there's 5 slots left. If 2/3 of those characters end up with swords (Lyn, Takamaru, Isaac), they're all characters that can easily have movesets built to focus less on actual swordplay. okay, less so with Lyn, but she's at least got a bow to mix it up.
Only reason I won't vote for both Lyn and Taka is because I can HEAR the ignorance of "NO SWURDS PLZKTHX" throwing a wrench into the plan immediately.In a perfect world, both Takamaru and Lyn would make playable (along with Sami, Saki, Lip, Issac, Ridley and Ninten) and I could stage mock Kenshin (Taka) vs. Sojiro (Lyn) matches all day err day.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Only reason I won't vote for both Lyn and Taka is because I can HEAR the ignorance of "NO SWURDS PLZKTHX" throwing a wrench into the plan immediately.In a perfect world, both Takamaru and Lyn would make playable (along with Sami, Saki, Lip, Issac, Ridley and Ninten) and I could stage mock Kenshin (Taka) vs. Sojiro (Lyn) matches all day err day.
In a perfect world? Boy, I guess I'll never live in a perfect world then.

Seriously though. Custom Robo has had 5 games and non-playable representation since Melee. This series deserves some love.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143

Seriously though. Custom Robo has had 5 games and non-playable representation since Melee. This series deserves some love.
Knew I forgot one.

TRJV

Smash Journeyman

I'm all for him! actually, he'd be part of my full votes if I hadn't used 'em up all at once.

No rugratz

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Knew I forgot one.
I'm all for him! actually, he'd be part of my full votes if I hadn't used 'em up all at once.
No rugratz
Well most of my initial response was partly a joke. I wanted to show everyone a much better image of Ray other than his crappy Brawl portrait. Since you know... Assist Trophy models are crap. Ray also has an inaccurately designed Assist Trophy model on top of that. This is official Custom Robo game art, but it had a really dark and confusing background. So I took the time to smooth out the image and make it somewhat portrait worthy. I would have had more Ray sketches done too, but I was having my computer fixed up. Hence my absence for most of the day today, and most of last night. Just letting you all know that I'm still working on it.

Last edited:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I'm gonna have to -1 Ninten. All arguments for Mother being well-represented enough aside, the main problem with him is that he looks too damn much like Ness. The idea would never fly because most people would have not be able to easily distinguish him for Ness. And no, I don't think a turned hat or wearing a bandana will help. Just look at IGN; they just recently used a picture of Ninten (like Shin's avatar) as Ness in one of their headlines. Finally, in terms of importance, he did not do much for the series. The big hit was the second game, Earthbound/Mother 2. With Ness and Lucas, we have plenty of diversity for the Mother characters, but if for some reason it was decided that another was to be added, I would rather go Masked Man (well personally, I want Porky, but that's not possible), who I'm also rather ambivalent about.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I'm gonna have to -1 Ninten. All arguments for Mother being well-represented enough aside, the main problem with him is that he looks too damn much like Ness. The idea would never fly because most people would have not be able to easily distinguish him for Ness. And no, I don't think a turned hat or wearing a bandana will help. Just look at IGN; they just recently used a picture of Ninten (like Shin's avatar) as Ness in one of their headlines. Finally, in terms of importance, he did not do much for the series. The big hit was the second game, Earthbound/Mother 2. With Ness and Lucas, we have plenty of diversity for the Mother characters, but if for some reason it was decided that another was to be added, I would rather go Masked Man (well personally, I want Porky, but that's not possible), who I'm also rather ambivalent about.
I think people could distinguish Ninten and Ness. Lucina is supposedly similar to Marth but they look different enough to justify her being included.

But I understand your sentiment, so I won't press on further.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Honestly, I'd think that Porky would be the perfect third character (he has ties to both Ness and Lucas while also filling a villain role and providing a kooky as **** entry by being a mech based combatant) but the logistics to making him work already sounds mind boggling.

I'm cool with Ninten or Masked Man, but if it were a best of the three for the last Mother spot, Porky would be pretty high up my own personal list.

GeZ

Smash Lord
+1 Ridley

+1 Custom Robo

And someone tell me if Majora's mask link has been suggested, because if he hasn't I can ****ing lay out a masterful design for him that I came up with on 2 weeks without sleep and some delicious caffeine coasting. It's beautiful man.

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
And someone tell me if Majora's mask link has been suggested, because if he hasn't I can ****ing lay out a masterful design for him that I came up with on 2 weeks without sleep and some delicious caffeine coasting. It's beautiful man.
The only idea for MM Link that I have seen involves him transforming by using the masks. However, this would use up 3 of the 5 remaining clone slots, so it never got to be very popular.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
Warning Received
The only idea for MM Link that I have seen involve him transforming by using the masks. However, this would use up 3 of the 5 remaining clone slots, so it never got to be very popular.
It wouldn't be transformations but rather different movesets with just the mask replaced, which I think is more feasible since there's already evidence that characters can "wear" things (squirtle squad glasses).

Also whoever voted for the Ganondorf/ Black Shadow thing is literally ********. This is a callout. Step forward and try and make your flimsy case so I can publicly shame you. It already happened in the Ganon forums and I wrecked face so hard a mod locked the thread.

Edit: Mad cause reasons. I explain in a later post.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
It wouldn't be transformations but rather different movesets with just the mask replaced, which I think is more feasible since there's already evidence that characters can "wear" things (squirtle squad glasses).
If you are talking about the standard masks, yeah that could work. But people are still very sketchy about another Link in general. If you are talking about transformations, that would still require more character slots. The glasses are a costume change, and basically what you are saying is that he would be stance changing into different costumes. That being the case, the hitboxes / hurtboxes wouldn't properly match up. It is far too complicated of an idea for anyone to want to back it up.

Also whoever voted for the Ganondorf/ Black Shadow thing is literally ********. This is a callout. Step forward and try and make your flimsy case so I can publicly shame you. It already happened in the Ganon forums and I wrecked face so hard a mod locked the thread.
Not that I disagree about your dislike for the G/BS, but you could handle your argument a bit better. Nobody is going to approach you if you are picking a fight. Most of us here try to be respectful to one-another's opinion, even if we don't agree. And if your goal here is to argue until this thread locks, you have nothing further to argue. No one will deal with an attitude like that here.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
While I'm all for Blackendorf stomping that argument's been done to death and I'd rather you not bait it out like that

Shin F.

Smash Master
You already did, actually.
Regarding this soon-upcoming crapfest of awful posts that are sure to come:

Don't.
Thank you for intervening before anything more could be said.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Thank you based Alakadoof.

Let's all make sure to summon him whenever people get ugly about Pichu as well, or the "too many swords" sentiment. I'm beyond sick of this sh*t.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Okay, to be more reasonable, real talk, how many of the people who responded to my post disagreeing are Ganondorf mains? The point I'm trying to make is that the only people who advocate this Ganondorf moveset to Black Shadow switch are people who are uninvolved in the character, and just want a different Ganondorf that they feel is more Canon to play. Something I've written up twice now that I'll find and quote here is that Smash Bros Ganondorf is his own definitive version, and to want to change that is really messed up for the Ganondorf mains.

They're not maining a moveset, they're often maining their favorite character, and to want to take that because you want a new secondary is mean.

I sounded so toxic at first because this is something not a lot of players put into perspective. Ganondorf is already one of the worst characters in the game and now players want to take that he's even Ganondorf? Do you see how people would have a negative reaction? Maybe?

Last edited:

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
Okay, to be more reasonable, real talk, how many of the people who responded to my post disagreeing are Ganondorf mains? The point I'm trying to make is that the only people who advocate this Ganondorf moveset to Black Shadow switch are people who are uninvolved in the character, and just want a different Ganondorf that they feel is more Canon to play. Something I've written up twice now that I'll find and quote here is that Smash Bros Ganondorf is his own definitive version, and to want to change that is really messed up for the Ganondorf mains.

They're not maining a moveset, they're often maining their favorite character, and to want to take that because you want a new secondary is mean.

I sounded so toxic at first because this is something not a lot of players put into perspective. Ganondorf is already one of the worst characters in the game and now players want to take that he's even Ganondorf? Do you see how people would have a negative reaction? Maybe?
Bruh, this has been done to death already. Most of the regulars here agree with you too.
So plz, do us all a favor and shut up.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion

The only people who replied to you agreed.
By this point we all understand both sides, but have pretty much agreed to disagree.

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
Step forward and try and make your flimsy case so I can publicly shame you. It already happened in the Ganon forums and I wrecked face so hard a mod locked the thread.

Watch out guys

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
I bring it up because it's in the OP. Not for fun. It's still being voted for/ on which is pretty counter to what you guys are saying as it sounds from your perspective like it's split down the middle, but on the voting front it's one of the favorites.

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I bring it up because it's in the OP. Not for fun. It's still being voted for/ on which is pretty counter to what you guys are saying as it sounds from your perspective like it's split down the middle, but on the voting front it's one of the favorites.
Explanation: People who care more about the clone engine than PM vote here
Smash 4 peeps
The people who actually care about playing PM are outnumbered by a large margin
A lot of PM peeps even steer clear of here
I can't blame them

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
I think people could distinguish Ninten and Ness. Lucina is supposedly similar to Marth but they look different enough to justify her being included.
Regarding this, by the way, distinguishing the two isn't actually an issue even if they look similar. Many, if not most, competitive players will often choose a recolor to play as in any case. Even if their default costumes looked somewhat similar (I play as both in my own build in the same matches, btw, and they're not hard to tell apart), then I very much doubt someone playing as Red Ninten is going to mix themselves up with Mr. Saturn Ness.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
Are you serious? How is this still a thread if the vast majority is people who don't participate. Isn't there a big P:M manifesto on how it needs to be made for its specific user base already?

And then considering that all of that is true, why do actual players (you guys I assume/ Edge the Lucas) still take this thread seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom