• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
But yeah. Double posting so we can stay on topic. Anyone have ideas for Jimmy T. ?
He could use his cell phone's camera to stun or freeze players with the flash. They could make his fighting style caporica or whatever the dancing fighting style was called that's used by Eddy in tekken.

1/2 for Jimbo.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
All users must be above the age of 10 to GET DOWN WITH THE RHYTHM~~~!!!

Can jimmy's final smash disco ball explode with cats just like that one?
Or better can that Cat be playable? It would be the greatest thing ever to have a dancing cat insmash

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
He could use his cell phone's camera to stun or freeze players with the flash. They could make his fighting style caporica or whatever the dancing fighting style was called that's used by Eddy in tekken.

1/2 for Jimbo.
Capoeira. And that is how I would envision him myself. Disco dancing and having stances. It would be cool.

Can jimmy's final smash disco ball explode with cats just like that one?
Or better can that Cat be playable? It would be the greatest thing ever to have a dancing cat insmash
Those cats weren't present in Brawl, so they are ineligible to be players themselves. But we did discuss a Nintendo Disco party being Jimmy's Final Smash.

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
Based on what we have so far I don't think this is true at all. Roy shares some animations, and Mewtwo was pulled off of Lucario (But Lucario was pretty much pulled off of Mewtwo) and they're far from close to their bases. They both have entirely different feelings to their playstyle, and it's demeaning to say they were easy to make. If we get more characters that are different enough as Roy/M2 are, I'm fine.
That's the thing though, they had melee animations, weights, gravity, etc. etc. all those values and variables, all they had to do was copy a lot of that from melee or match it to melee so they had nearly all the work done already, and it was still a lot of work for them. Designing a character from scratch is an entirely different beast of a task, and consider that a new character has to use an existing characters bone structure which narrows the selection process even more. I'm just saying we shouldn't expect entirely new non-clone characters, we can hope, but I really don't think it's fair to expect that.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
If anything, I think we'll be getting a newcomer after 2 major releases.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
That's the thing though, they had melee animations, weights, gravity, etc. etc. all those values and variables, all they had to do was copy a lot of that from melee or match it to melee so they had nearly all the work done already, and it was still a lot of work for them. Designing a character from scratch is an entirely different beast of a task, and consider that a new character has to use an existing characters bone structure which narrows the selection process even more. I'm just saying we shouldn't expect entirely new non-clone characters, we can hope, but I really don't think it's fair to expect that.
We are fair in believing the expectation if they allowed us to do so. The way things evolve in the modding community is ever changing. And the PMBR are no slackers. Some of them already have their hands in game design outside of Project M. So it is hardly fair to believe they are incapable of doing something. We are allowed to have expectations. We also understand if they aren't met, there is a reasonable explanation why they were not met. Nobody here is being selfish in their requests.

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
We are fair in believing the expectation if they allowed us to do so. The way things evolve in the modding community is ever changing. And the PMBR are no slackers. Some of them already have their hands in game design outside of Project M. So it is hardly fair to believe they are incapable of doing something. We are allowed to have expectations. We also understand if they aren't met, there is a reasonable explanation why they were not met. Nobody here is being selfish in their requests.
I don't believe they're incapable by any means, I believe their motivation to making an entirely new character from scratch as opposed to easy diversified clone characters is not as high as a lot of you seem to believe. You guys can go ahead and believe that, I'm not ridiculing you by any means, I just feel like you'll be disappointed, but I don't want to argue so I'll just leave it at that.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Ehh...

I expect at least 1 or 2 unique playing characters. The rest can be clones or half clones and I wouldn't mind.

But I don't think the PMBR would pass up an opportunity to create their own unique character just for Project M.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I don't believe they're incapable by any means, I believe their motivation to making an entirely new character from scratch as opposed to easy diversified clone characters is not as high as a lot of you seem to believe. You guys can go ahead and believe that, I'm not ridiculing you by any means, I just feel like you'll be disappointed, but I don't want to argue so I'll just leave it at that.
They're Smash fans, too, you know. The fact that they love this game and have already put their all into it is motivation enough.

Malion

Smash Ace
I'm curious if a character from a non-feature franchise like Golden Sun or Advance Wars or Drill Dozer or Chibi Robo or Brain Age makes it in... will it be possible for them to have a unique icon and victory theme?

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
I'm curious if a character from a non-feature franchise like Golden Sun or Advance Wars makes it in... will it be possible for them to have a unique icon and victory theme?
I know for sure this can be done with BrawlEx very easily, so I'm sure if it works there, then PMBR can find a way to make it work with their Clones as well.

Malion

Smash Ace
Well that's cool to hear. I'd almost want to promote a character like that if only because it would add a new little jingle to the game. Though someone would have to make a baller orchestral version of whatever associated song there is.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Well that's cool to hear. I'd almost want to promote a character like that if only because it would add a new little jingle to the game. Though someone would have to make a baller orchestral version of whatever associated song there is.
They could possibly use the first 6 seconds or so of this for a Golden Sun fanfare, if they got permission from the creator (or remix it themselves, if there's someone with musical talent in the backroom).

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I think some have discussed Pichu before, and I know most people hate him, but I thought of an idea that could make him work to a degree.

For starters, Pichu is still frail as ****. No way around that. However, Pichu is nimble as a flea. He has insane mobility, with great recovery, great jump height, good air speed, fast dashes, fast falls, the works, to compensate. Pichu's attacks are powered by electricity, making them do large amounts of damage with moderate knockback. However, Pichu does damage himself in the process. As such, Pichu becomes the ultimate high risk high reward character, complete with great mobility and combos and power, but a defense game that is absulutlty pitiful.

I guarantee others must have suggested something similar before, but this is how I would have Pichu reworked into Project M. Also, would be cool to have the last Melee character come back...

Also I support Sami, Isaac, Andy, Ridley, Black Shadow/Ganondorf, Ray, K Rool, Bowser Jr, and Dixie Kong.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I think some have discussed Pichu before, and I know most people hate him, but I thought of an idea that could make him work to a degree.

For starters, Pichu is still frail as ****. No way around that. However, Pichu is nimble as a flea. He has insane mobility, with great recovery, great jump height, good air speed, fast dashes, fast falls, the works, to compensate. Pichu's attacks are powered by electricity, making them do large amounts of damage with moderate knockback. However, Pichu does damage himself in the process. As such, Pichu becomes the ultimate high risk high reward character, complete with great mobility and combos and power, but a defense game that is absulutlty pitiful.

I guarantee others must have suggested something similar before, but this is how I would have Pichu reworked into Project M. Also, would be cool to have the last Melee character come back...

Also I support Sami, Isaac, Andy, Ridley, Black Shadow/Ganondorf, Ray, K Rool, Bowser Jr, and Dixie Kong.
That's all fine and dandy but are those characters you list on the bottom actual votes? If so, you can only full vote 5 characters. You can half-vote the rest that you don't feel as strongly about.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
So how about giving Pichu Lucario's meter system, but he only gains meter when he damages himself?

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
So how about giving Pichu Lucario's meter system, but he only gains meter when he damages himself?
Better

Pichu gets the old aura system where he gets stronger with morw damage

That way he powers up the morw he hurts himself

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
Better

Pichu gets the old aura system where he gets stronger with morw damage

That way he powers up the morw he hurts himself
But only from damage he self inflicts.

Obviously he could still be balanced around that. Require less damage to build up meter, make the super move super OP.

As long as he's still the worst character in the game I'm okay with improvements. It's a tall ladder to climb.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Dat Melee Pikachu at Evo tho. If it were a Pichu, this thread would be ablaze with Pichu support.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
That's all fine and dandy but are those characters you list on the bottom actual votes? If so, you can only full vote 5 characters. You can half-vote the rest that you don't feel as strongly about.
Oh im not voting, just throwing out my opinions on who would work.

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979

For starters, Pichu is still frail as ****. No way around that. However, Pichu is nimble as a flea. He has insane mobility, with great recovery, great jump height, good air speed, fast dashes, fast falls, the works, to compensate. Pichu's attacks are powered by electricity, making them do large amounts of damage with moderate knockback. However, Pichu does damage himself in the process. As such, Pichu becomes the ultimate high risk high reward character, complete with great mobility and combos and power, but a defense game that is absolutely pitiful.

This concept you and others have made for a PM Pichu sounds rather cool, but the problem is that we have 7 Pokemon and having an 8th I feel wouldn't be a good idea.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
This concept you and others have made for a PM Pichu sounds rather cool, but the problem is that we have 7 Pokemon and having an 8th I feel wouldn't be a good idea.
I support this. I would like to see Pichu back in a good way (not as a "bad joke" character), but I think another Pokémon is not needed already now. I think these polls are saying clearly which ones are the next playable characters in Project M and there's no Pichu. :pichumelee:

Also, I would like to suggest Plusle & Minun as a way to solve this "Pichu's problematic". As they did the Ike Climbers, maybe they could do the same with Pikachu and change some attacks (for decloning them). It was a character who was about to enter in Brawl, but they finally didn't. I think Toon Link was a replacement for Young Link such as Plusle & Minun could do with Pichu. Just an idea.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I support this. I would like to see Pichu back in a good way (not as a "bad joke" character), but I think another Pokémon is not needed already now. I think these polls are saying clearly which ones are the next playable characters in Project M and there's no Pichu. :pichumelee:

Also, I would like to suggest Plusle & Minun as a way to solve this "Pichu's problematic". As they did the Ike Climbers, maybe they could do the same with Pikachu and change some attacks (for decloning them). It was a character who was about to enter in Brawl, but they finally didn't. I think Toon Link was a replacement for Young Link such as Plusle & Minun could do with Pichu. Just an idea.
This poll is not an indicator of what characters the PMBR will choose for Project M. It is best not to treat it as such either. This is merely a speculation and discussion thread with a poll to show the PMBR what characters we would be okay with.

As for the Plusle and Minun idea, it has been suggested and just as negatively received as Pichu.

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724

Yeah, this was discussed before so I will just say what I said to the last person who discussed this. Basically you're already stating the way Pichu was in Melee. Project M did meleefy (brought melee iterations) to some of the cast (ex. Fox, Falco, Jigglypuff) because little change was needed because they were high in the tier list; while revamping others; so they could compete with the high tiers or because they were introduced in Brawl and they required modification. If we compare Melee tiers, Pichu is absolute **** tier which means the character itself needs to go through revamping or a complete overhaul to compete in Project M which is why I'm against a copy paste version of Pichu. I'm not one to be a tier-***** but I'm sure everyone can appreciate a fighting game where every character has a chance of winning all of their matchups no matter how slim instead of it being an impossibility. If people insist in having Pichu be the same way he was in Melee then the only solution will be to make him a glass canon like you said, producing insane amounts of electric damage but even that won't help Pichu players because of Pichu's limited range.

Last edited:

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
This poll is not an indicator of what characters the PMBR will choose for Project M. It is best not to treat it as such either. This is merely a speculation and discussion thread with a poll to show the PMBR what characters we would be okay with.

As for the Plusle and Minun idea, it has been suggested and just as negatively received as Pichu.
That's what I said. The polls show less interest in Pichu than in other characters. It's just an indication of what community would like. I understand polls are not official in the sense they'll put the most voted characters. But I think we can say Pichu isn't requested so much, but Blackondorf, Lyn, Isaac/Hans or Ridley are. We cannot know which of them are going to be playable. I just tried to say there isn't so much interest in Pichu.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
That's what I said. The polls show less interest in Pichu than in other characters. It's just an indication of what community would like. I understand polls are not official in the sense they'll put the most voted characters. But I think we can say Pichu isn't requested so much, but Blackondorf, Lyn, Isaac/Hans or Ridley are. We cannot know which of them are going to be playable. I just tried to say there isn't so much interest in Pichu.
That is not what you said before.

I think these polls are saying clearly which ones are the next playable characters in Project M and there's no Pichu. :pichumelee:
That means you are taking these polls by face value, one way or another. If anything, suggestions like Blackendorf are the least likely to make any sort of impact. And this is because the nature of the request replacing a veteran's core playstyle. But that is a whole different beast of a discussion I'd rather not get into.

The PMBR will of course pick popular characters, but that does not mean they will pick it based on our poll alone. They are just as likely to browse the community for frequent suggestions outside our thread, or other methods of their own. Keep that in mind.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Well, I explained pretty bad myself. I meant the polls were saying which ones are the people's favourite pals to be the next playable characters, and Pichu is not so high. So, in general, I think the community is not that excited for Pichu's inclusion.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Well, I explained pretty bad myself. I meant the polls were saying which ones are the people's favourite pals to be the next playable characters, and Pichu is not so high. So, in general, I think the community is not that excited for Pichu's inclusion.
I hardly think our poll means much in terms of Pichu's inclusion. And to be completely honest, people need a reason to want a character. The biggest beast of a reason fans support it is because of his Melee veteran status. If EVO is any indication of how lower tier characters can still be hype "A Tier Pikachu wrecking that Top Tier Fox", I'd say Pichu can be salvaged for the better and have a really good impact. And this is coming from a NON-Pichu supporter.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
I hardly think our poll means much in terms of Pichu's inclusion. And to be completely honest, people need a reason to want a character. The biggest beast of a reason fans support it is because of his Melee veteran status. If EVO is any indication of how lower tier characters can still be hype "A Tier Pikachu wrecking that Top Tier Fox", I'd say Pichu can be salvaged for the better and have a really good impact. And this is coming from a NON-Pichu supporter.
I agree. I don't mind if Pichu is in or out. Just want to say that, if he is eventually in, there should be a good reason. I wouldn't like a joke character that is underworld-tier. I would support a Pikachu semi-clone with different techniques. I said Plusle & Minun could be a good way to improve original Pichu, but that wouldn't be Pichu...

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I agree. I don't mind if Pichu is in or out. Just want to say that, if he is eventually in, there should be a good reason. I wouldn't like a joke character that is underworld-tier. I would support a Pikachu semi-clone with different techniques. I said Plusle & Minun could be a good way to improve original Pichu, but that wouldn't be Pichu...
Well as a Roy fan, I wasn't too happy with the fact Sakurai tried to pass on Roy's playstyle to Lucina in Smash 4. I could honestly say that it is a bad idea to "replace" any established character. Once you've made a character playable, you've allowed for people to create a bond with said character. Yeah, you can revive their playstyle, but it is just like the situation with a majority of Melee / Project M Ganondorf fans. There are people who like the character the way they are. You can change minor things and make the playstyle visually different. But the moment you change the face of the character, you alienate all the people who liked that character the way they are.

Last edited:

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
Well as a Roy fan, I wasn't too happy with the fact Sakurai tried to pass on Roy's playstyle to Lucina in Smash 4. I could honestly say that it is a bad idea to "replace" any established character. Once you've made a character playable, you've allowed for people to create a bond with said character. Yeah, you can revive their playstyle, but it is just like the situation with a majority of Melee / Project M Ganondorf fans. There are people who like the character the way they are. You can change minor things and make the playstyle visually different. But the moment you change the face of the character, you alienate all the people who liked that character the way they are.
In the defence of Blackendorf fans. The whole premise of Ganondorf switching movesets was because Ganondorf was poorly represented in Melee and Brawl. The character's moveset isn't going to be replaced because it will live on as Black Shadow's moveset which actually fits his character since it's similar in aspects to Captain Falcon's moveset. The only complaint would be aesthetics which is preference related and doesn't affect gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom