• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I would main Jimmy T. if only to have a Pokeball afro.
SUPPORT THE FRO DUDE!!! You would be supporting every fro he gets in the process. Because we all know that it would be impossible to pass up Jimmy T. in various Nintendo dancer get-ups. Seriously!

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
This is a really unique and interesting mechanic you've come up with here. I can see how it would work for the most part, and it really creates a new dynamic we haven't yet seen in a smash game. The closet thing would probably be Lucario's specials (specifically SideB) and activating their aura supers. I don't think there would be a way to make the shotgun spray be a true projectile though. This also doesn't sound incredibly difficult, but it would definitely be an undertaking nonetheless.

EDIT: Kinda reminds me of timed hits from Soul Calibur.
If I understand correctly, the issue with projectiles is that a character has to possess a base projectile to modify right? Couldn't the rapid bullet spray just be a series of small altered Paralyzer shots, the larger explosive blast be a fully charged Paralyzer shot and everything else (the suited Samus like bursts) be animations of the Paralyzer's hit effects modified to act like single hitboxes versus true projectiles?

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Actually took some time and effort into possible Jimmy T. costumes. Hope you guys like. They should be good enough reasons to want to vote on this lovely beast of the dance floor~~

The first one is a Mirror B. inspired costume, the second is based on all 3 Elite Beat Agents.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Actually took some time and effort into possible Jimmy T. costumes. Hope you guys like. They should be good enough reasons to want to vote on this lovely beast of the dance floor~~

The first one is a Mirror B. inspired costume, the second is based on all 3 Elite Beat Agents.
"Alts will not reference anything outside of the characters original series." -Nano.

:/

Shin F.

Smash Master
"Alts will not reference anything outside of the characters original series." -Nano.

If Jimmy T makes it in and doesn't get those costumes,

I'll just make them as unofficial alts myself. Because I respect PMBR and most of their rules make sense, but this is not one of them. As long as references make sense and are somewhat reasonable, I think they should be allowed - especially considering that, no offense to Nano (I do respect him quite a bit), I don't believe him about Koopa Troopa Squirtle being a coincidence.

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
If Jimmy T makes it in and doesn't get those costumes,

I'll just make them as unofficial alts myself. Because I respect PMBR and most of their rules make sense, but this is not one of them. As long as references make sense and are somewhat reasonable, I think they should be allowed - especially considering that, no offense to Nano (I do respect him quite a bit), I don't believe him about Koopa Troopa Squirtle being a coincidence.
A bit of digging in the news archive has led me to this
http://projectmgame.com/en/news/new-features-in-demo-2-5-character-recolors-and-stage-updates
Your move PMBR

Shin F.

Smash Master
A bit of digging in the news archive has led me to this
http://projectmgame.com/en/news/new-features-in-demo-2-5-character-recolors-and-stage-updates
Your move PMBR
Quoting the relevant line for posterity.
PMBR said:
To start, Squirtle has received a makeover to his costumes inspired by other Pokémon such as Charmander, Turtwig, Mew as well as Koopa Troopa, a very iconic turtle in video games. You may notice that most of the Pokemon these colors are based off of all share the common theme of being reptiles, making them largely appropriate, with the exception of Mew.

Last edited:

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I think the only characters we should expect are easy clones like Lyn, Dark Samus, Dixie, Shadow and Waluigi, I feel like characters such as Isaac and K. Rool(despite how much I'd love to have him) are asking way too much from the PMBR. I hope no one gets their hopes up for those guys, I feel like they'll be disappointed.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Honestly, I think the only characters we should expect are easy clones like Lyn, Dark Samus, Dixie, Shadow and Waluigi, I feel like characters such as Isaac and K. Rool(despite how much I'd love to have him) are asking way too much from the PMBR. I hope no one gets their hopes up for those guys, I feel like they'll be disappointed.
I think you underestimate how hard-working and passionate PMBR are. They didn't have to put so much time and effort into Roy or Mewtwo either, but they chose to. We'd have never known it was possible, so no one would've complained if we didn't get them. Shoot, if they wanted to take the easy way out, they wouldn't have ever even made Project M what it is. That's not to say we should expect them to make 5 wholly unique characters - that's insane and almost disrespectful - but I don't think they would take the easy path just to save themselves some work when they've put so much of their love into it already.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Even clones take up a lot of time. If Roy was 300 hours of development time, then 300 x 5 = 1500 hours.

That's a lot of time, man.

So don't be a Negative Nancy, at the very least we can definitely expect at least 1 unique character (probably Isaac or Ridley).

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Based on what we have so far I don't think this is true at all. Roy shares some animations, and Mewtwo was pulled off of Lucario (But Lucario was pretty much pulled off of Mewtwo) and they're far from close to their bases. They both have entirely different feelings to their playstyle, and it's demeaning to say they were easy to make. If we get more characters that are different enough as Roy/M2 are, I'm fine.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Didn't the PM guys recruit a ton of modders after 3.0?
Not saying this solves the problem, but people may be exaggerating it's impossibilities.

And seeing how people are fine with Lucina...

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal

Nintendo series, especially anything relative to Mario, is and always has been prone to making references to outside games. And the fact Lucario is wearing a Ryu inspired outfit in Project M leads me to believe Jimmy T. is justified to have Nintendo character based references for costumes. It is relevant to his character and it makes sense.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Nintendo series, especially anything relative to Mario, is and always has been prone to making references to outside games. And the fact Lucario is wearing a Ryu inspired outfit in Project M leads me to believe Jimmy T. is justified to have Nintendo character based references for costumes. It is relevant to his character and it makes sense.
The PMBR has argued that it isn't Ryu inspired. Hence why its called Fighting Gi Lucario, not Lucaryu. They gave him hold items from Pokemon to further enforce their rule about outside reference.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
The PMBR has argued that it isn't Ryu inspired. Hence why its called Fighting Gi Lucario, not Lucaryu. They gave him hold items from Pokemon to further enforce their rule about outside reference.
Right. Fighting game inspired. That is even wider of a subject, leading to Street Fighter, King of Fighters, and many other franchises. But if you are wanting to get picky with me, look at the type of game that Wario Ware is. It literally makes references to nearly every Nintendo Franchise in its Mini-Games.

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Then someone really needs to bring up Koopa Squirtle to him then.

I honestly think it has to do with Squirtle's outfit just being a simple recolor though, which is why the Mirror B. costume might work but not the Elite Beat Agents one.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Right. Fighting game inspired. That is even wider of a subject, leading to Street Fighter, King of Fighters, and many other franchises. But if you are wanting to get picky with me, look at the type of game that Wario Ware is. It literally makes references to nearly every Nintendo Franchise in its Mini-Games. And as Shin said. That Koopa Troopa palate for Squirtle is no coincidence.
Actually, Sol, to be fair, the gi doesn't come from fighting games - it comes from the Black Belt trainers. He's wearing their fighting gi, with some Pokemon items.

Koopa Troopa, though - well, PMBR themselves said it's Koopa Troopa inspired. No taking that back, now.

I honestly think it has to do with Squirtle's outfit just being a simple recolor though, which is why the Mirror B. costume might work but not the Elite Beat Agents one.
I did when he first mentioned the rule. Nanobuds said it was coincidence, although we now see their blog post says it's not. And it can't be just because it's a recolor, since it was a recolor we were talking about when he made the rule known to us. (To be specific, a Giygas recolor for Mewtwo.)

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal

I caught myself because I misread the post JCOnyx. Were all good here.

Edit: Nevermind. I couldn't Ninja my post fast enough for the mistake I made. @ n @

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Actually, Sol, to be fair, the gi doesn't come from fighting games - it comes from the Black Belt trainers. He's wearing their fighting gi, with some Pokemon items.

Okay. But to be fair, the Elite Beat Agents aren't exactly original themselves if you guys want to pluck hairs. A casual suit has been used for many occasions since the beginning of its creation. It has been a common theme for bands and dancers often too around the ages of Blues and Jazz. All associated towards the fact that Jimmy T. can party in any fashion he so pleases. He likes music, he likes dancing. He doesn't care as long as he is able to party. Not to mention his hair is a wig, meaning he is free to put on any wig he wants.

That and my original point -- Wario Ware has always referenced Nintendo games with their Mini-Games.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
We can just argue that the Elite Beat Agent alt is from when Jimmy worked with the Mob, and Miror B. is from his Poke Training days.
Oh totally. And Captain Falcon was secretly a villain training under his father from the past, Ganondorf!

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
And Lucina's masquerade as Marth was a double-bluff. She really IS Marth, who is pretending to be Lucina, who is pretending to be Marth.

Lucinaception.
Who also hired Ike to replace Roy so that he could carry two slots simultaneously and prevent his return.

Exodo

Smash Ace
Based on what we have so far I don't think this is true at all. Roy shares some animations, and Mewtwo was pulled off of Lucario (But Lucario was pretty much pulled off of Mewtwo) and they're far from close to their bases. They both have entirely different feelings to their playstyle, and it's demeaning to say they were easy to make. If we get more characters that are different enough as Roy/M2 are, I'm fine.
Dude....lucario and mewtwo are two Whooole different characters.... the only thing they share is the neutral b, AND EVEN THAT ARE DIFFERENT!!!!!!

Yo what abut that Yoshi Barney reference huh?!?!?! HES NOT EVEN FROM NINTENDO DJSJDBCKSBD

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
But yeah. Double posting so we can stay on topic. Anyone have ideas for Jimmy T. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom