• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exodo

Smash Ace
I would jump so quickly on maining a FE-based joke character. Especially Ninian.
If we gonna talk about joke characters... how about Pichu and Slippy ??!?!:shades:

P.S. sorry for the doble posting, please dont kill me...

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I really just want to see Ridley, Isaac, and Sami. I don't care about the last two slots (as long as it doesn't go to something really stupid like a second Sonic character).

While Ridley and Isaac have a lot of support for Project M (the latter I think is basically a shoe-in), Sami definitely needs a lot more support than she is currently getting.

Ridley's support is going to explode the moment Sakurai busts out Stage Hazardley for Smash 4 (which is going to happen some time in August). I think at that point the team might seriously consider Ridley.

Sami I think would be a relatively easy choice to help represent Advance Wars, and also help bring a lot of interest to the franchise (she is pretty distinctive relative to the rest of the Smash Bros. cast).

She also can adjust better to 3D than many here think:

She would basically be the Project M equivalent of Marth/Roy. A cool looking character that many are not familiar with that would explore an entirely new universe to Smash Bros.
I won't lie, one of the big reasons why I push for the characters I do aside from what kind of flavor they would bring to the table in their combat design is also because I would really love to see some new properties that get glossed over get a shine or the chance to get their dedicated fan base going. With the exception of Lyn (who exists as a personal either/or between herself and Takamaru personally) and Ridley just because I feel for the Ridley fans, all of my major picks are either from franchises that show themselves to have combat ready characters, characters that would provide a unique spin on fighting, franchises that could really click with the general Smashdom or all of the above.

Takamaru (Mysterious Murasame Castle)/Lyn
Lip (Panel de Pon)
Saki (Sin & Punishment)
Sami (Advance Wars)
Issac (Golden Sun)
Ridley (Metroid)

The Smash 4 roster gets a fair bit of criticism from me (assuming the Gematsu/Sal Romano stuff is final) just because out of the characters introduced, there really aren't any that come with the same mysticism to themselves like the Emblem duo did in Melee or the "years of waiting rewarded" feeling we got for characters like Pit, Metaknight and DDD in Brawl. One could say Megaman, Little Mac and Pac Man should cover the latter, but somehow it feels like cheating since two of these guys don't come from Nintendo's vault and said vault is chock full of really interesting things from different eras of Nintendo.

Well, if I may speak form a personal standpoint, I am personally a big fan of both Golden Sun and Fire Emblem. I think I played Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age, 100% complete at least 4 times. As fior Fire emblem... I love how it takes out much of the waiting associated with strategy games. When you play FFTactics, you sort of feel in slowmo in comparison.

Nevertheless, Isaac being able to use a wide range of tools would be interesting. He would probably be on the hard side to make though. Lyndis was mentioned several times and is more special for North American audiences as she was basically the first lord most people played as. The Lief costume is an interesting idea that I've also had before. Roy technically took Lief's spot in Melee, so it could be a cool reference. I also saw lots of Hector request, so I'm thinking most of you really love FE7.

Sami, fun idea. Advance Wars hasn't been represented at all in Smash yet.

Takamaru is a cool idea as well, but if we did either him or Lyn, I feel like the style may become redundant. Mind you, I don't make the final calls.
Pretty cool to hear from a PMBR member even if it is just one voice, but I'm very curious by what you mean about the style becoming redundant. If you thought my post was about getting them both in, I'd have to correct you and say it's just two different takes on the one type of character I want to see most out of any that could make the jump into Project M.

That bit about animating characters makes me wish like no other that I had any chops for it. I'd totally jump in if I did. Got too many ideas but no ability to stitch them into something tangible and that's the worst feel ever.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Enough with the joke characters! Let's talk business.

Allow me to introduce Apple Kid. He's the perfect rep for the Mother series. He'd be a floaty character (Obviously, look at his physique) and his moveset would revolve around the use of his pencil.

image.jpg

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Well, if I may speak form a personal standpoint, I am personally a big fan of both Golden Sun and Fire Emblem. I think I played Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age, 100% complete at least 4 times. As fior Fire emblem... I love how it takes out much of the waiting associated with strategy games. When you play FFTactics, you sort of feel in slowmo in comparison.

Nevertheless, Isaac being able to use a wide range of tools would be interesting. He would probably be on the hard side to make though. Lyndis was mentioned several times and is more special for North American audiences as she was basically the first lord most people played as. The Lief costume is an interesting idea that I've also had before. Roy technically took Lief's spot in Melee, so it could be a cool reference. I also saw lots of Hector request, so I'm thinking most of you really love FE7.

Takamaru is a cool idea as well, but if we did either him or Lyn, I feel like the style may become redundant. Mind you, I don't make the final calls.
But what about

Spleenhunter

Smash Cadet
If we are gonna talk about support character i would say that, kirby would be the best one yet, also zelda.
Yeah for sure. Kirby is great at saves and his neutral B has so much utility in team battles because of how it can be used on allies. Having other moves like that one would add a layer of teambuilding that might let the doubles scene pick up. Ivy/Kirby is popular solely because how their specials synergize. Or having a character with a special that healed an ally.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I won't lie, one of the big reasons why I push for the characters I do aside from what kind of flavor they would bring to the table in their combat design is also because I would really love to see some new properties that get glossed over get a shine or the chance to get their dedicated fan base going. With the exception of Lyn (who exists as a personal either/or between herself and Takamaru personally) and Ridley just because I feel for the Ridley fans, all of my major picks are either from franchises that show themselves to have combat ready characters, characters that would provide a unique spin on fighting, franchises that could really click with the general Smashdom or all of the above.

Takamaru (Mysterious Murasame Castle)/Lyn
Lip (Panel de Pon)
Saki (Sin & Punishment)
Sami (Advance Wars)
Issac (Golden Sun)
Ridley (Metroid)

The Smash 4 roster gets a fair bit of criticism from me (assuming the Gematsu/Sal Romano stuff is final) just because out of the characters introduced, there really aren't any that come with the same mysticism to themselves like the Emblem duo did in Melee or the "years of waiting rewarded" feeling we got for characters like Pit, Metaknight and DDD in Brawl. One could say Megaman, Little Mac and Pac Man should cover the latter, but somehow it feels like cheating since two of these guys don't come from Nintendo's vault and said vault is chock full of really interesting things from different eras of Nintendo.

Pretty cool to hear from a PMBR member even if it is just one voice, but I'm very curious by what you mean about the style becoming redundant. If you thought my post was about getting them both in, I'd have to correct you and say it's just two different takes on the one type of character I want to see most out of any that could make the jump into Project M.

That bit about animating characters makes me wish like no other that I had any chops for it. I'd totally jump in if I did. Got too many ideas but no ability to stitch them into something tangible and that's the worst feel ever.
Its interesting you brought up the whole "mysticism" thing in regards to Marth/Roy, I tried very hard to think of a character that would give off the same kind of feel as those two did when Melee was released in 2001. They were aesthetically quite different from any other character on the roster, and characters no one asked for, yet ended up becoming amongst the most popular of all the newcomers. They also helped served to represent a long-running Nintendo universe.

I thought really hard to think of a character that could replicate this. Sami came the closest. In similarity to Marth/Roy, Advance/Famicom Wars is a franchise developed by Intelligent Systems, and had its start even earlier than Fire Emblem (1988).

I also agree that the Smash 4 roster was a bit disappointing. Its really a head scratcher why they never bothered to include Ridley or a DK newcomer. Ridley in particular is very long overdue. However, I will give Sakurai props for basically giving nearly every major Nintendo franchise a playable character.

Really, the only necessities to Smash Bros. I think at this point after Smash 4 are Ridley, a Golden Sun rep, and an Advance Wars rep. Sami is lucky in the instance that she could be make for an interesting twist on Snake's moveset (which is amongst the most distinctive in Smash Bros.). Particularly so that Snake won't be returning for Smash 4.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482

I'm not liking this post just because you're PMBR, I just like your taste.

Issac would be hell for the PMBR team (at least I believe so) to animate if he is to make use of all the things that could make him extremely unique.
Hell, I could even see him being top tier and "needing" all the nerfs when he first is released because he's "too powerful".

Either way, I'm sure that's a character that would be an amazing and beloved addition to project M if it were to happen.

Last edited:

Exodo

Smash Ace
I'm not liking this post just because you're PMBR, I just like your taste.

Issac would be hell for the PMBR team (at least I believe so) to animate if he is to make use of all the things that could make him extremely unique.
Hell, I could even see him being top tier and "needing" all the nerfs when he first is released because he's "too powerful".

Either way, I'm sure that's a character that would be an amazing and beloved addition to project M if it were to happen.
I think We can all agree that isaac is the top favorite character speculated by alot, asides ridley, skull kid and lyn, she has also been a huge request for what i have seen
Also he would probably the most hype of all.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Its interesting you brought up the whole "mysticism" thing in regards to Marth/Roy, I tried very hard to think of a character that would give off the same kind of feel as those two did when Melee was released in 2001. They were aesthetically quite different from any other character on the roster, and characters no one asked for, yet ended up becoming amongst the most popular of all the newcomers. They also helped served to represent a long-running Nintendo universe.

I thought really hard to think of a character that could replicate this. Sami came the closest. In similarity to Marth/Roy, Advance/Famicom Wars is a franchise developed by Intelligent Systems, and had its start even earlier than Fire Emblem (1988).

I also agree that the Smash 4 roster was a bit disappointing. Its really a head scratcher why they never bothered to include Ridley or a DK newcomer. Ridley in particular is very long overdue. However, I will give Sakurai props for basically giving nearly every major Nintendo franchise a playable character.

Really, the only necessities to Smash Bros. I think at this point after Smash 4 are Ridley, a Golden Sun rep, and an Advance Wars rep. Sami is lucky in the instance that she could be make for an interesting twist on Snake's moveset (which is amongst the most distinctive in Smash Bros.). Particularly so that Snake won't be returning for Smash 4.
Assuming Shulk is real, he would actually probably come fairly close to that level of mysticism. Xenoblade's very limited American release at least will help with that. Past that, though, it would likely take another rep from a Japanese series that hasn't made it international yet (or very little), and fortunately that practice has dwindled lately. Due to its prominence on Nintendo systems (though the same can be said of all systems bar PC and the Xboxes), I'd actually think Super Robot Wars could generate the same sort of interest. Yet another strategy RPG, and only three games made it Stateside, two on GBA and one on DS. None took off in popularity here, either.

As for 4's roster, I still hope Ridley is in and the Rhythmdudes are out, and otherwise I'm quite satisfied with 4's roster (bar the vagueness of any return for Motherlings or F-Zeroids). We've still got an upcoming anniversary for Metroid that could be used to reveal Ridley or something.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
As for 4's roster, I still hope Ridley is in and the Rhythmdudes are out, and otherwise I'm quite satisfied with 4's roster (bar the vagueness of any return for Motherlings or F-Zeroids). We've still got an upcoming anniversary for Metroid that could be used to reveal Ridley or something.
Yeah. Stage Hazardley. :troll:

Seriously though, anyone who thinks Ridley is not going to be a stage hazard is setting themselves up for a massive disappointment.

As someone who worked with the pre-Brawl leaks and was around for the pre-Melee leaks, the Smash 4 leaks right now are the real deal.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Yeah. Stage Hazardley. :troll:

Seriously though, anyone who thinks Ridley is not going to be a stage hazard is setting themselves up for a massive disappointment.

As someone who worked with the pre-Brawl leaks and was around for the pre-Melee leaks, the Smash 4 leaks right now are the real deal.
I will just politely hope you are slightly incorrect, and go back to saying that Sami would be a great Clone Engine character. They could even make her final smash some transformation/buff smash based on her CO Powers, Double Time and Victory March.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Mind you, I'm talking about my opinions. When I come to post here, I talk about what I would like in a smash game and don't take into account what we are doing in the backroom. I tend to keep those things separate as I am not allowed to leak any information. Then again, I believe in being honest as well, so... don't take anything I say as any form of confirmation. I'm just one person in the PMBR, and many participate in the decision-making process.

For the Lyn/Takamaru post, while I personally know we could make them quite different, the general public reception would probably scream "Another sword person", especially he event that both were in.

I've actually been wanting Isaac in Brawl when I thought the game would be to my taste. I was flabbergasted that they didn't include him. It was at a time where the games were still rather fresh in my memory and the third game didn't screw with the canonical stuff. At a time where Golden Sun as a series didn't get the epic commercial flop that GS Dark Dawn was.

I've always been more partial to covering more fanbases. Smash is a celebration of Nintendo fandom, some before SMash 4 was announced, my roster would have included characters from non-covered series like Isaac, Ray MK 2, Takamaru, etc... and characters from under-represented series like Ridley or Dixie.While Mario, Zelda and Pokemon are insanely popular, I consider that every half decent game is someone's favourite. Fans of the big 3 are already fans of Smash. Thus, if you put a Golden Sun character, you will get all of the Golden Sun fans excited. If you put an Advance wars character is, you would get Advance Wars fans interested. The same with Custom Robo, Sin and Punishment, etc...

While going for the popular series seems like the obvious choice, to me, it's over-representation makes it like putting icing an an already very sweet cake. You'll appreciate it, but in the end, you'll probably want to scrape some of the icing off because you can't handle all of the sweetness.

@ Saito Saito : Thanks, we seem to be getting along these days, lol.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
While going for the popular series seems like the obvious choice, to me, it's over-representation makes it like putting icing an an already very sweet cake. You'll appreciate it, but in the end, you'll probably want to scrape some of the icing off because you can't handle all of the sweetness.
Is there a level you use to determine over-representation? Or is that also like cake, in that some people like it really sweet, and some others don't like it very sweet at all, and still others only like a particular abundance of one flavor of icing?

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Well, take Mario for example:

Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser are the core of the series. With these four alone, you have already gripped the Mario fanbase. Sure, they might ask for Yoshi and other characters, but they are at least happy to be playing as a Mario character. Adding Yoshi as an important secondary character and Wario that has his own spinoff works out as they basically branched out to become main characters in their own franchise. However, we reached a point where Mario fans don't "need" any more convincing to play smash. Rosalina is nice for people who like Galaxy, but if you liked Galaxy, you probably liked the Mario universe in general already. You get diminishing returns in terms of reactions as more and more, you'll just be catering to people who will already want to play your game no matter what. If yous tarted going extreme and added less important characters like Paratroopa or Lakitu, then you'd go too far and people would be puzzled. If you had 30 Mario characters, people would probably start growing annoyed. People like Mario, but there's a point where people will tell you it's not supposed to be Mario VS Nintendo.

By covering a new franchise, you grasp a community that wasn't covered before. I talked about Golden Sun before for instances. The Golden Sun community would be extatic to see even one rep of their favourite series in a smash game. It doesn't matter which. If you added say... Felix, Jenna, Garett, Ivan, etc... People would say "Hey, neat", but there would be much less hype.

Last edited:

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
+1 Skull Kid
+1 Ridley
+1 King K. Rool
+1 Dark Samus
+1 Black shadow, ganondorf

+1/2 Bowser Jr.
+1/2 Dixie Kong
+1/2 Isaac
+1/2 Tetra (No Toon zelda)

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
Mind you, I'm talking about my opinions. When I come to post here, I talk about what I would like in a smash game and don't take into account what we are doing in the backroom. I tend to keep those things separate as I am not allowed to leak any information. Then again, I believe in being honest as well, so... don't take anything I say as any form of confirmation. I'm just one person in the PMBR, and many participate in the decision-making process.

For the Lyn/Takamaru post, while I personally know we could make them quite different, the general public reception would probably scream "Another sword person", especially he event that both were in.

I've actually been wanting Isaac in Brawl when I thought the game would be to my taste. I was flabbergasted that they didn't include him. It was at a time where the games were still rather fresh in my memory and the third game didn't screw with the canonical stuff. At a time where Golden Sun as a series didn't get the epic commercial flop that GS Dark Dawn was.

I've always been more partial to covering more fanbases. Smash is a celebration of Nintendo fandom, some before SMash 4 was announced, my roster would have included characters from non-covered series like Isaac, Ray MK 2, Takamaru, etc... and characters from under-represented series like Ridley or Dixie.While Mario, Zelda and Pokemon are insanely popular, I consider that every half decent game is someone's favourite. Fans of the big 3 are already fans of Smash. Thus, if you put a Golden Sun character, you will get all of the Golden Sun fans excited. If you put an Advance wars character is, you would get Advance Wars fans interested. The same with Custom Robo, Sin and Punishment, etc...

A very well thought out opinion. When I started my votes in May, I attempted to think of characters that could optimize hype (ex. Ridley and Issac) while avoiding over representation of franchises (Mario and Pokemon). One of my points was to introduce more female characters (Sami and Lyn) to attract more female smashers. The rest is similar to your list, to include characters that aren't represented (Ray MK2). I wish other PMBR members give their own personal votes so we can see their preferences but ultimately they select the roster so I guess it doesn't matter :rolleyes:. I have one question, you can choose to answer if you want. What are your thoughts on Pichu as a character? (From a personal standpoint, not a PMBR standpoint)

Last edited:

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
That can be your question Arctic :). I thought it was one question per person :smirk:

Exodo

Smash Ace
I have a question, when will we see an update to the voting list? Last one says it was on march so i was kinda curious to see how the votings have grown.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Really, the only veteran series character that is "necessary" for a Nintendo All-Stars games that has yet to be included yet. Maybe a DK character (Dixie or K. Rool). However, Ridley is the only character left that seems to have a massive dedicated fanbase to him that does not represent a new franchise.

With characters like Isaac and Sami, you bring the universes of Golden Sun and Advance/Famicom Wars to the roster.

After those three (Ridley, Isaac, Sami), I would think its more a matter of which kind of "icing" the team thinks they should use (Lyn, Skull Kid, Dixie Kong, K. Rool, etc.).

I don't think the team is going to look into Ridley until he is formally de-confirmed for Smash 4 though.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143

Regarding the former, well I guess I understand that sword discrimination even if I think it's the dumbest thing ever and one of the reasons why I hate most casual newcomer discussion (I'm a sword person by nature, gimmie a rogue and a samurai someone :p) but I'd figure that with a good demonstration, people could automatically see what's offered and realize the inherent difference in "sword person" styles. Then again, that's just me being optimistic.

As for the latter thought, I'm glad that there are folks like you in the PMBR. I know bigger franchises will always have the largest draws among any level of Smash Bros. enthusiasts, but sometimes I'd love to see people recognize the little guys who might be on the verge of a breakout but can't get around super star franchises long enough to find their own spotlight. Fire Emblem would have never become as much as it did if someone wasn't bold enough to say "hey, let's get some folks in from the franchise" even in the face of never being seen before in the large majority of the world. I guess I'm hoping that people with the opportunity to do that much for a franchise be it in a mod like P:M or an official product would take more chances and try to scratch more itches at the same time.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I can't handle how ****ing based Vigilante is right now.

I can't even comprehend how fast I'm clicking the like button on his posts.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Watch someone post how Vigilante just gave away the whole clone roster.

Guyz, Isaac confirmed dudez!

Vigilante

Smash Lord
@ MLGF MLGF : I'm not in a leadership position, so even if I want a character to be in Smash, I alone could never make that decision. Like everyone, I can voice my opinion, but in the end, I do not make the calls, lol.

@ Saito Saito and @ bksbestbwoy bksbestbwoy : Thanks mates. I love you guys too.

@ ZeruSlayer ZeruSlayer : I don't know how to answer your question in a way that would not confirm or de-confirm the character. All I can say is that personally, I don't think it would make sense for Pichu to be comparable in power to Pikachu, so he's either have to stay a joke character, or get a new mechanic like perhaps getting a second desynched Pichu, or a mechanic that takes advantage of self-inflicted damage (perhaps discharging accumulated electricity). I personally would see him as a high risk, frail character.

I personally am not very hyped for the idea of Pichu, but I'm not 100% against it either.

We haven't set our roster in stone yet, so yeah... If it were my idea dream world, we'd have 200 well-balanced characters and every stage from every smash game >.>

Edit: Kyle Hyde from Hotel Dusk confirmed

Last edited:

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
I only don, tknow how to answer your question in a way that would not confirm or de-confirm the character. All I can say is that personally, I don't think it would make sense for Pichu to be comparable in power to Pikachu, so he's either have to stay a joke character, or get a new mechanic like perhaps getting a second desynched Pichu, or a mechanic that takes advantage of self-inflicted damage (perhaps discharging accumulated electricity). I personally would see him as a high risk, frail character.

I personally am not very hyped for the idea of Pichu, but I'm not 100% against it either.
Thank you for answering honestly. I don't see what Pichu brings to the table in terms of anything really so designing a new mechanic will at least make him somewhat unique. If Pichu turned out to be the way he was in Melee he would just be an inferior Pikachu which doesn't make any sense in terms of why anyone would want to select him as a character unless they are going to troll or insult their opponent. If Pichu was a strong character (for the sake of argument, stronger than Pikachu) then it wouldn't make sense for the character in terms of lore since he is the devolved version of Pikachu (but Smash Bros. was never exactly made to make sense so take that point with a grain of salt). If he was considered to be a glass canon it would be the best alternative but if you think about it tier-wise and matchup-wise Pichu will be at the most bottom of tiers probably even being the worst character in the game unless self inflicted attacks produces overpowered amounts of damage and knockback only making him viable in singles and maybe doubles if your partner can prevent Pichu from getting rushed (2 v 1 plus support/defence). I don't doubt that the PMBR can produce an amazing character with an amazing moveset but given everything Pichu has made an appearance in (Melee, pokemon games, pokemon tv special) his movepool is pretty limited (unless TM's and HM's are included, but even still it's more limited than other clone engine characters). I'm not trying to influence Pichu's confirmation or de-confirmation, I'm just giving my opinion as a member of the Smash community and a Project M fan so treat this as you would any other community opinion.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Since you're voicing your own personal opinions, Vigilante. I'm curious about:
1. What veteran series character (meaning a character from a franchise already in Smash Bros.) do you see as the most deserving or "overdue" for playable status left at this point?
2. What franchise (after Golden Sun) do you feel is the most deserving at this point?

Ondo

Smash Apprentice
It would be a lot easier just to do a stance change for Ganondorf that way both parties win. I think there is a hack that already shows this is possible.
I'd much, much rather have the full Ganondorf/Black Shadow addition.

I want a Ganondorf based off his moves in the Zelda games, not just one with a sword. In particular, Dead Man's Volley is iconic, and you can't add a projectile with the stance change.

Also, I like Ganondorf's moveset, but never really enjoy playing him because I dislike what they did with the character. Just replacing him with Black Shadow gains me a character I'd like to play, even if they didn't add in a new Ganondorf.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Well, people have been asking for Ridley since Melee, so I wonder why Mr. Sakurai hasn't capitalized on that yet. Some say he's too big, but the "story" of smash is that they are basically figurines. Scale isn't an issue with this considered.

Other than that F-Zero doesn't have a second rep. Could be Samurai Goroh, or Black Shadow. Donkey King being such an important series could probably stand to get another rep like Dixie or even King K. Rool.

For Metroid, and Donkey Kong, I would say that they are under-represented in relation to the size of their fanbase.

Fire emblem is actually pretty-under-represented in Smash in general. There are 13 games in the series and so far,e ach official games since Melee have had no more than two per game. We have three, which is an improvement. The biggest issue that I can glean from that However is that most main characters in the series use European blades. Marth uses a one-handed sword, Ike uses a two-handed sword, and in Project M, we make use of flames to differentiate him form the three. If Fire Emblem characters were to be added to any Smash game, I would personally look for Lords using different weapons. For instances, Hector uses axes, Ephraim uses lances. Lyn uses a katana. I could also see characters like Lief working well using a battle stance more akin to the thieves in the series, weak, but very nimble.

For Franchises deserving of being represented... I think that Advance Wars has has several iteration that were fairly good games overall. We don't have an infantry type character except for Snake that is.

Custom Robo isn't super popular, but the customizable nature of these machines allow for a large breath of moves to choose from for their design. There are various ways in which they can ram opponents, various guns and various subweapons. So in this case, it's less about popularity and more about moveset potential.

Sin and Punishment is also not very popular, but the gun/blade dynamic could be interesting. These games tend to flop, so it could be a good way to get people interested in the franchise.

Classic characters are cool, and Takamaru could easily use the three treasures in the game for combat: I remember the fireball and invisibility power-ups for example. Samurai Warriors 3 had a whole adventure mode featuring him, which was pretty cool. However, most North American gamers never heard of the guy.

Panel de Pon has great gameplay, but here, Lip was replaced by Yoshi in the Tetris attack reskin.

Xenoblade is a recent game, but likely one of the best of the last console generation. I think that the Monado could be used for very interesting attacks. Plus, this game was just amazing. Now that it's become a "series", I think it makes it more and more deserving.

Punchout is an iconic Nintendo franchise, and I'm actually sad that Mac was announced for Smash 4 because I wanted the guy.

There's just too many franchises to cover honestly, and I'm sure I missed much. You could add 50 characters and still not be using D-list Nintendo characters. I'd even have ideas for Mach Rider.

Personally, while the we wouldn't risk the legal implications, I would love Geno as a Super Mario RPG fanboy, lol.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Takamaru, Lip, Lyn, Hector, Ray MKII, Saki, Sami, Dixie Kong, Ridley, confirmed as ****. Project M Backroom handing out digital Christmas for 4.0.

Kappa

Shin F.

Smash Master
I have a question, when will we see an update to the voting list? Last one says it was on march so i was kinda curious to see how the votings have grown.
The last one wasn't added to the OP. We updated it when we hit 300 voters. I'm planning to post results again once we hit 350.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I still think the best choices for the five slots would be:

- Ridley (one of the few iconic Nintendo characters left to add into Smash Bros. at this point, really, really overdue, and massively popular, only downside is the sheer difficulty and time it would take to implement him)
- Isaac (very popular character, and Golden Sun is one of the last two notable Nintendo franchises left out of the cold for a playable character after Smash 4's release)
- Sami (Advance/Famicom Wars is the other notable franchise, it also helps she would be a relatively easy clone that would offer a distinct twist on Snake's moveset)
- Lyn (although FE has enough characters as is in PM, there isn't a katana fighter yet, and FE really needs to move away from the blue-haired swordsmen stereotype)
- Dixie Kong or Skull Kid (one of these two to round out things, DK definitely should have had a newcomer in Smash 4, and Majora's Mask 3D is likely to be announced next year after all the hinting and teasing being done by Miyamoto and Aonuma).

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I still think the best choices for the five slots would be:

- Ridley (one of the few iconic Nintendo characters left to add into Smash Bros. at this point, really, really overdue, and massively popular, only downside is the sheer difficulty and time it would take to implement him)
- Isaac (very popular character, and Golden Sun is one of the last two notable Nintendo franchises left out of the cold for a playable character after Smash 4's release)
- Sami (Advance/Famicom Wars is the other notable franchise, it also helps she would be a relatively easy clone that would offer a distinct twist on Snake's moveset)
- Lyn (although FE has enough characters as is in PM, there isn't a katana fighter yet, and FE really needs to move away from the blue-haired swordsmen stereotype)
- Dixie Kong or Skull Kid (one of these two to round out things, DK definitely should have had a newcomer in Smash 4, and Majora's Mask 3D is likely to be announced next year after all the hinting and teasing being done by Miyamoto and Aonuma).
Are you voting or...?

Really kinda wish I had voted for Lyn, now. I don't remember who I voted for, actually. Masked Man, and Ninten obviously.

I think I gave Lyn a half vote when discussing playing doubles with my mom.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom