• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Book Jacket

Smash Apprentice
Well, since I apparently can't change my vote, I'mna deal out some half votes

All of the following are +1/2:

-Lyn
-Masked Man
-Hector
-Andy
-Paper Mario
-Skull Kid

Man, the creativity behind all of these suggestions is insane. I did come to this thread with a little bit of Sword prejudice, but my god was that smacked out of me.

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
Man, the creativity behind all of these suggestions is insane. I did come to this thread with a little bit of Sword prejudice, but my god was that smacked out of me.
If only Lordling were here to see this, he would shed a manly tear.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Well, since I apparently can't change my vote, I'mna deal out some half votes

All of the following are +1/2:

-Lyn
-Masked Man
-Hector
-Andy
-Paper Mario
-Skull Kid

Your votes could be changed, but not with a damn good reason.

Here's a turorial!
HOW TO CHANGE YOUR CLONE ENGINE THREAD VOTES TODAY
The 5 Step Tutorial by Psy
1.Take notice of the people counting your votes.

2.Realize the first step was pointless, and single out vote-counter Shin F.

3.Edge your way in. Mention Earthbound, and tell him his hair looks nice.

Convince him you were intoxicated at the time of casting your original votes.

5.Throw in another Mother (yay for rhyming) reference, just for good measure.

6.Realize step 1-5 was pointless and supply some really good reasons as to why you should be allowed to change your vote.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Andy is more important than Sami, why do you throw him under the bus @Vigilante?
Eliwood and Hector are both more important than Lyn. I don't see where this is going.

Its also that Sami could more easily transition to be a derivative of Snake in some regard, and would be more appealing to people unfamiliar with Advance Wars (we already have plenty of spunky kids on the roster).

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
we already have plenty of spunky kids on the roster.
Let's count, shall we?
Ness is a spunky kid. +1.
Lucas is a spunky kid. +1.
Toon Link is super spunky. +5 spunk.
Link gets an honorable mention for being a spunky teen. +1/2
Wario's a spunky kid at heart. +1.
Gannon's a spunky kid. +1
Popo and Nana have pep. -1 Spunk.

That's 8.5 Spunk points out of 41 chars. That is a 2.07 percent spunk rate! Considerably bad considering in Mortal Kombat, everybody is a spunky kid.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Another consideration for Fire Emblem characters, while almost all of them end of with some legendary broadsword or similar blade by the end of their games, most of them start off with rapiers, which are wielded very differently (when wielded with any realism), which could make for an interesting and unique fighting style (makes me think of Rafael compared to Siegfried in SoulCal). Numerous characters' weapons also have magical properties which could be capitalized on more than they have been. Ragnell and Alondite can shoot shockwaves (spam Demon Fang like a Tales character), the Sword of Seals has its fireblast which they used for his final smash, Leaf's Light sword has a long-range magic attack (though purely by its aesthetic in Thracia 776 that one would also probably be reserved for final smash), and most games have a sword with a ranged attack (the Thunder sword in Gaiden, Runesword, Light Brand, Tornado Blade, etc).

Of course, there's also the promoted lords' weapons to choose from - Ike gets axes, Lyn gets bows, Eliwood gets lances, Leaf gets access to everything but staves (If you treat Master Knight as his final form instead of just Prince). Something like that, even stretching canon creatively (After all, Lucas didn't bring a single one of his own PSI moves to Brawl, and Ness only brought Flash), can significantly broaden the options for a character's moveset beyond "another sword".

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
If only Lordling were here to see this, he would shed a manly tear.
This reminds me that I should summon him. I remember him being a kindred sword person too.

@Lordling: Care to read muh samurai post?

Andy is more important than Sami, why do you throw him under the bus @Vigilante?
Honestly, Smash needs more women, especially those of the non-dainty/classy variety. Sami looks like the type who'd just say screw it, whip a bazooka out and go HAM and I respect the **** out of that. Sami's also very visually distinct with her fatigues and combat boots look.

Optimally, there'd be a move set for a Andy+Sami duo character (as a point and assist character), but if I had to pick one, I'd definitely go full Sami.

Last edited:

Exodo

Smash Ace
Honestly, Smash needs more women, especially those of the non-dainty/classy variety. Sami looks like the type who'd just say screw it, whip a bazooka out and go HAM and I respect the **** out of that. Sami's also very visually distinct with her fatigues and combat boots look.
Let us count the females shall we.
-Peach
-Zelda
-Sheik
-Samus
-ZeroSuit
-Jiggs
-Nana/Sona
-Ivysaur
-Kirby is shemale so 1/2
Giving us a total of = 8.5/41
Sooo lets get Dark Samus and Lyn giving us 10 female!!:estatic:

Exodo

Smash Ace
Well thats new news for me also, i was told that ivy was described as a she on the brawl pages.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Women do voices for male characters all the time, especially kids, so that in itself doesn't prove a thing because different countries have different Pokémon VAs.

Also, your thinking of ******** Exodo not gays.

Last edited:

Exodo

Smash Ace
Women do voices for male characters all the time, especially kids, so that in itself doesn't prove a thing because different countries have different Pokémon VAs.

Also, your thinking of ******** Exodo not gays.
Noo, i know i was just joking, it is easier for women to do a childs voice than a male actor, but yeah going back to the main point, ivy is a female or a male?

Raijinken

Smash Master
Of course, since all starters have a 85/15 gender ratio favoring male, it's statistically more likely that Ivysaur is male.

Exodo

Smash Ace
So yeah i was going over the fire emblem wikia, dont you think Idenn would be a good female rep and also bad guy.
She could be cloned of zelda and be made really nicely also. Just an idea though im not a fire emblem expert.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
Eliwood and Hector are both more important than Lyn. I don't see where this is going.

Its also that Sami could more easily transition to be a derivative of Snake in some regard, and would be more appealing to people unfamiliar with Advance Wars (we already have plenty of spunky kids on the roster).
Andy could also be a Snake clone, he just needs something unique to fit his 'engineer/mechanic' class. Also wrenches.

Point is he's the the main character of the Advance Wars series. It'd be like having Lyn but not Marth, or having Peach but not Mario. That's the main reason I suggest an Andy/Sami clone combo.

Last edited:

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
Noo, i know i was just joking, it is easier for women to do a childs voice than a male actor, but yeah going back to the main point, ivy is a female or a male?
As stated, Ivysaurs are statistically more likely to be male. All in-game descriptions use "it". Technically there is no definitive answer, but I'm not sure where everyone's getting the idea that this Ivysaur is female.

Ondo

Smash Apprentice
I honestly don't understand why people still think Andy is the most important Advance Wars character after Dual Strike.

He was an unlockable character with no role in the campaign, unlike Sami and Max. If his importance wasn't enough to get him a role in an Advance Wars game, why would it get him one in Smash Bros.?

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't understand why people still think Andy is the most important Advance Wars character after Dual Strike.

He was an unlockable character with no role in the campaign, unlike Sami and Max. If his importance wasn't enough to get him a role in an Advance Wars game, why would it get him one in Smash Bros.?
There are Fire Emblem games without Marth, but he's still considered the face of the series.

Raijinken

Smash Master
So yeah i was going over the fire emblem wikia, dont you think Idenn would be a good female rep and also bad guy.
She could be cloned of zelda and be made really nicely also. Just an idea though im not a fire emblem expert.
Love the idea, though she's more of a plot character than a significant boss. One of the Black Fang from Blazing Sword could be used to fill a similar role, though (Sonia or Ursula perhaps), or maybe Serena from Sacred Stones (I think at least Sonia had a sticker, though I might be wrong). Sonia would also have more significance to Western players.

There are Fire Emblem games without Marth, but he's still considered the face of the series.
Marth's games are by and large the most popular in Japan (being the only ones with remakes, and counting Awakening and Gaiden, having the most games set clearly in the same world). He's the face of Fire Emblem kinda like Ocarina Link is the face of Zelda, despite being one of the least common appearances.

Oh, how on earth did I miss the obvious suggestion: Use Brammimond as a magic user from Fire Emblem. Clone from Zelda, give dark particle effects, make his Final Smash into Apocalypse, and other moves could be based on Flux, Resire/Nosferatu, Luna, and Eclipse.

Last edited:

Ondo

Smash Apprentice
Right, but Marth is only missing when the entire cast and setting have been changed. Dual Strike had the same setting and cast, mostly, as the prior games, but Andy was replaced. Sami and Max were still in it.

Intelligent Systems deliberately replaced Andy, and just Andy.

Days of Ruin replaced the setting and cast entirely, and I don't hold that against Max, Sami, or Andy.

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice

Love the idea, though she's more of a plot character than a significant boss. One of the Black Fang from Blazing Sword could be used to fill a similar role, though (Sonia or Ursula perhaps), or maybe Serena from Sacred Stones (I think at least Sonia had a sticker, though I might be wrong). Sonia would also have more significance to Western players.

Marth's games are by and large the most popular in Japan (being the only ones with remakes, and counting Awakening and Gaiden, having the most games set clearly in the same world). He's the face of Fire Emblem kinda like Ocarina Link is the face of Zelda, despite being one of the least common appearances.

Oh, how on earth did I miss the obvious suggestion: Use Brammimond as a magic user from Fire Emblem. Clone from Zelda, give dark particle effects, make his Final Smash into Apocalypse, and other moves could be based on Flux, Resire/Nosferatu, Luna, and Eclipse.
Don't forget about these things:
http://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_SSBB_trophies_(Fire_Emblem_series)
http://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_stickers_(Fire_Emblem_series)

Not really much point in discussing ineligible characters.

Exodo

Smash Ace
Love the idea, though she's more of a plot character than a significant boss. One of the Black Fang from Blazing Sword could be used to fill a similar role, though (Sonia or Ursula perhaps), or maybe Serena from Sacred Stones (I think at least Sonia had a sticker, though I might be wrong). Sonia would also have more significance to Western.
Just went through the stickers none of them have stickers. But while checking that and the wikia i found someone who has a little bit more of an important role in the games appears as a sticker and can bring something new to the table:

Say hello to Ephraim, uses both a lance(new thing for smash) and a sheild so i thought he could be cloned from link and stay with a similar jab plus the sheild mechanics, and his up b could be as link but instead he only spins the lance over his head, so yeah just another possible suggestion from Fire Emblem, and this guy could be made in such an awesome way.

Since i have used all my +1 votes ill give him a 1/2.
IF YOU LIKE THE IDEA give Ephraim a +1/2 since probably everyone already used their whole points.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Andy could also be a Snake clone, he just needs something unique to fit his 'engineer/mechanic' class. Also wrenches.

Point is he's the the main character of the Advance Wars series. It'd be like having Lyn but not Marth, or having Peach but not Mario. That's the main reason I suggest an Andy/Sami clone combo.
Not really. Keep in mind he is the same guy who asks "what's an airport". Sami for storyline reasons is an actual trained soldier, and is even depicted with realistic military weapons in her artwork. Andy using realistic military weapons is kind of out of character for him considering his personality and disposition in the Advance Wars games (as well as his background).

Also, your analogy when it comes to FE is flawed. Of the single game that Lyn has a storyline role in, she is very overshadowed by both Eliwood and Hector in it. Marth has nothing to do with Lyn because their stories are not connected at all.

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
You know, thinking back on all this FE discussion, I don't think I ever gave Ephraim a +1/2. I have no idea why. I'll do that now just in case. In fact, I don't think I've ever really given any half points.

Ephraim +1/2
Takamaru +1/2
Lip +1/2

And finally, a +1/2 to Barbara the Bat, because I'm insane. Also because I just remembered her. I actually really liked Band Brothers, and as someone obsessed with music I would love to have a playable character who fights with music based attacks. That's about it I guess. I'm not good at trying to sell a character to anyone.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Just went through the stickers none of them have stickers. But while checking that and the wikia i found someone who has a little bit more of an important role in the games appears as a sticker and can bring something new to the table:

Say hello to Ephraim, uses both a lance(new thing for smash) and a sheild so i thought he could be cloned from link and stay with a similar jab plus the sheild mechanics, and his up b could be as link but instead he only spins the lance over his head, so yeah just another possible suggestion from Fire Emblem, and this guy could be made in such an awesome way.

IF YOU LIKE THE IDEA give Ephraim a +1/2 since probably everyone already used their whole points.
He actually doesn't use a shield. That's just his FE Awakening art, and all old FE characters have art that conform to the class that they're use in Awakening. For example, Roy is modified to look like the Hero class.

Spleenhunter

Smash Cadet
Good point. Lilina for FE Mage, then. I'd have sworn Soren was a sticker, but apparently I'm mis-remembering that.
I would totally be down for a FE mage, but the only one I think is important enough to be considered would be Micaiah. We already have Roy from FE6, and most people in the US haven't played it, so even though Lilina is probably the second most important character in that game, I think we need some Sacred Stones or another Tellius rep first.

I'm actually more a fan of Ephraim than Lyn, but I didn't want my vote to get wasted. I still think half multihit moves and half tipper moves would make him a unique fighter. And I vow that when Ridley is confirmed for Sm4sh (cmon guys it will happen), I will change my last vote to Ephraim.

Spleenhunter

Smash Cadet
He actually doesn't use a shield. That's just his FE Awakening art, and all old FE characters have art that conform to the class that they're use in Awakening. For example, Roy is modified to look like the Hero class.
But Ness didn't have PK Cross or EK Tether in his games though.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
And I vow that when Ridley is confirmed for Sm4sh (cmon guys it will happen), I will change my last vote to Ephraim.
According to the guy who has leaked everything for Smash 4, the remaining newcomers for Smash 4 are Chrom, Shulk, and Chrorus Men. So no, Ridley is going to be Stage Hazardley for Smash 4. The Project M team are Ridley fans' only hope.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
But Ness didn't have PK Cross or EK Tether in his games though.
That's a special move/"spell" that can have more flexibility. Carrying something as part of the base character design like a shield that a character doesn't normally use is a much bigger move.

Spleenhunter

Smash Cadet
According to the guy who has leaked everything for Smash 4, the remaining newcomers for Smash 4 are Chrom, Shulk, and Chrorus Men. So no, Ridley is going to be Stage Hazardley for Smash 4. The Project M team are Ridley fans' only hope.
Twist: Ridley has been taking voice lessons, and is now one of the Chorus Men. I will never give up hope.

That's a special move/"spell" that can have more flexibility. Carrying something as part of the base character design like a shield that a character doesn't normally use is a much bigger move.
Good point. I guess he could have a down B shield like Pit's then, but that would be a lot more awkward than using the traditional FE counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom