• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
It's actually been brought up quite a lot in the P:M subreddit. I remember reading suggestions for it back before 2.5 came out.
I see. Makes sense, I dont ever look at reddit.

On a side note, where's Double Cherry? :c

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
If forty-seven isn't in relation to the numerals of today's date...I guess it's back to square one.
#AtLeastRidleyIsn'tDeconfirmed

Edit: To those that haven't been notified of the link between forty-seven and the date. 6/27/14 > 6+27+14=47

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Well, we know PMBR discovered how to use the Forbidden 7 slots. That would give us 46 characters. Perhaps they found a way to make use of the unused MARIOD Debug slot, as well? If they have, that's 47 characters.
If that's true then they can use that spare slot to add Pichu. That way every worthwhile Melee veteran comes back and we don't take up one of the pre-existing slots.
I would most certainly be okay with this notion if that is the case. But to be quite honest, I personally find nothing from our Top 6 - A Tier to be remotely interesting other than Isaac. And even then, I'm not a Golden Sun fan myself.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I already gave a half vote to Wolf Link with Midna riding him, but Solo Midna works too I guess, so 1/2 vote to Midna.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah. It wouldn't make sense for them to blow all the 4.0 hype as the first major announcement for 4.0. They gotta build it up slow, with some super-hype costumes, a "more costumes and stuff are coming!" and a super-interesting mode that'll make matches fascinating.

They know what they're doing all too well.

Shin F.

Smash Master
You know, Sol pointed out they have #47 in that vid again... but I didn't realize until re-watching just now that it flashes right before the part where it says, "Did you catch that?" You know, the part where Mario is KO'd and it switches to Luigi.

PMBR going for them double meanings, lol. I bet "Did you catch that?" referred to both the character switch and the #47.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Oh Based #47.... What are you trying to tell us? Art thou a new character reveal in disguise? Let the Prophecy of #47 come swiftly by thy Youtube trailer. And when the time is nigh, let tho mind be blow to smithereens by the epic sauce of #47's reveal. Or lest we burn to death in the hell that is Ridfirm Conley's office.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Maybe there will be another announcement. I do remember reading that whatever they were supposed to reveal was supposed to happen on sunday after grand finals. Maybe they jumped the gun though.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Maybe there will be another announcement. I do remember reading that whatever they were supposed to reveal was supposed to happen on sunday after grand finals. Maybe they jumped the gun though.
Well the video shown was a prototype of All-Stars Versus, and I do remember reading somewhere that they plan on showing more of the mode off soon. I figure that they would announce something else alongside that video.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Well the video shown was a prototype of All-Stars Versus, and I do remember reading somewhere that they plan on showing more of the mode off soon. I figure that they would announce something else alongside that video.
The youtube description says they're gonna release an in depth video covering it soon. That's prolly it.

Maybe more alt costumes. And double cherry if the pmbr really loves us :c

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
The youtube description says they're gonna release an in depth video covering it soon. That's prolly it.

Maybe more alt costumes. And double cherry if the pmbr really loves us :c
Since CEO isn't over yet, maybe this weekend will be good for more info. since we've had a drought since 3.02.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
C'mon Based #47!! Bless us with Isaac first and get the hype train rolling!!!

Malion

Smash Ace
Makes me sad that tetra is still so low... though I'm not entirely sure if OP is the most recent scoring or whatever. Last I was here I don't think people were voting anymore.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Makes me sad that tetra is still so low... though I'm not entirely sure if OP is the most recent scoring or whatever. Last I was here I don't think people were voting anymore.
Things have livened up a bit more since the recent flow of Smash 4 news and such. I don't think she is really doing any better though.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I hope they just bring someone new. I dont really have any hype for whatever next release there is at this point ;-;
I'm not a fan of Golden Sun. I've said it many times. But something about Isaac has that same visual charm that made me like Roy. That alone immediately lets me know I will love playing as the character. I've went by what character I find the most visually appealing since the beginning of fighters I've played, and not once has it betrayed me. Besides. One of my closest friends loves Golden Sun and thinks that Isaac would be awesome, despite liking Felix more. That only reinforces my choice in liking this character even more.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
I'm not a fan of Golden Sun. I've said it many times. But something about Isaac has that same visual charm that made me like Roy. That alone immediately lets me know I will love playing as the character. I've went by what character I find the most visually appealing since the beginning of fighters I've played, and not once has it betrayed me. Besides. One of my closest friends loves Golden Sun and thinks that Isaac would be awesome, despite liking Felix more. That only reinforces my choice in liking this character even more.
I'm fairly glad Felix wasn't in Brawl, because Isaac is infinitely preferable to me.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Isaac isn't my first pick, but he's definitely up there. I think we can all agree that he would be an excellent first reveal.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Isaac isn't my first pick, but he's definitely up there. I think we can all agree that he would be an excellent first reveal.
Pretty much how I feel. Even if I have my personal hype characters (Takamaru, Lip, Sami, Saki, Lyn), Issac is so universal you can't help but want him to show up.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The current Project M roster plus the large majority of those guys would pretty much make for my favorite fighting game roster ever.
Yeah. I feel the same. Ridley, Isaac, Sami, and Lyn contrast well with the newcomer selection we got with Smash 4. Ridley is of course Ridley, Isaac and Sami represent Golden Sun and Advance Wars which will be the last two major Nintendo franchises lacking a playable character after Smash 4's release (Animal Crossing, Punch-Out, Wii Fit, Xenoblade, Rhythm Heaven, and Mii's all received playable characters in Smash 4), and Lyn is a nice change of pace from the all blue-haired swordsmen line up we will be getting in Smash 4 (Marth, Ike, Chrom) as well as gives Smash Bros. its first katana-based fighter.

The only difference we have between our main votes is that I have Dixie Kong instead of Saki. I definitely think DK deserves a newcomer (especially considering how the series didn't get one in Smash 4), and Dixie Kong is definitely a Nintendo all-star.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Yeah. I feel the same. Ridley, Isaac, Sami, and Lyn contrast well with the newcomer selection we got with Smash 4. Ridley is of course Ridley, Isaac and Sami represent Golden Sun and Advance Wars which will be the last two major Nintendo franchises lacking a playable character after Smash 4's release (Animal Crossing, Punch-Out, Wii Fit, Xenoblade, Rhythm Heaven, and Mii's all received playable characters in Smash 4), and Lyn is a nice change of pace from the all blue-haired swordsmen line up we will be getting in Smash 4 (Marth, Ike, Chrom) as well as gives Smash Bros. its first katana-based fighter.

The only difference we have between our main votes is that I have Dixie Kong instead of Saki. I definitely think DK deserves a newcomer (especially considering how the series didn't get one in Smash 4), and Dixie Kong is definitely a Nintendo all-star.
Hey, you're back!

And yeah, I do agree. Ridley, Isaac and Lyn are solid choices.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Pretty much how I feel. Even if I have my personal hype characters (Takamaru, Lip, Sami, Saki, Lyn), Issac is so universal you can't help but want him to show up.
Unless I want to see lip confirmed before him

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486

Where did you see a Xenoblade and Rhythm Heaven be confirmed for smash 4?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Where did you see a Xenoblade and Rhythm Heaven be confirmed for smash 4?
The same guy who leaked every other newcomer for Smash 4 (except Rosalina) ahead of time, also said that Shulk, Chorus Men, and Chrom would be playable in Smash 4.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Off-topic, but are you going to do another series analysis?
Yeah. I will finish them when I get the chance, but I don't feel as motivated to since we basically know the entire roster as far as newcomers go. The only real question left is what veterans are coming back, and of the remaining veteran series, its really an argument of whether Jigglypuff and/or Mewtwo will return.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Look, as long as Skull Kid and Ridley have a strong chance with PM, this'll be the greatest Smash roster ever. (Although it'd be even better with a certain Kremling King, but it's whatever if I can main Skull Kid.) PMBR pls.

And yay for the GBA series getting reps, although even though they're cool, I have no personal attachment to them.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Look, as long as Skull Kid and Ridley have a strong chance with PM, this'll be the greatest Smash roster ever. (Although it'd be even better with a certain Kremling King, but it's whatever if I can main Skull Kid.) PMBR pls.

And yay for the GBA series getting reps, although even though they're cool, I have no personal attachment to them.
You should change your name to...

...ExcellentOpinions...Dorf....

look *igga i love yo opinions

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Though my opinion may not be favorable, Ray is literally the only thing that would hype me for Project M. Heck, I even went to my local game shop where a lot of my friends hang out to ask their opinions for a new Smash character. Almost everyone brought up Custom Robo. It was pretty surprising to me, but I guess since it is something we all grew-up liking, it stuck. Certainly I'll be happy to see characters like Isaac, Sukapon, Skull Kid, or Lyn, but they just don't make me feel hype for Project M. I just don't have personal attachments to these characters.

To put it simple... I'm just someone with a niche taste that hardly ever gets satisfied. And it is not something I do on purpose. I like the games I like, and those games hardly ever get noticed. But this is a case where I feel my taste is justified. I'm not alone in liking this series and I want to see it make a comeback. And Smash is just as good a place as any to start. Fan made or not.

Spleenhunter

Smash Cadet
So I've been trying to come up with an idea for a Shy Guy moveset. I'm having a lot of trouble though. I know one of them catches himself on fire and I think they can throw things. But I think he has potential for being a really polarizing character due to his unique move. Picture this:
Shy guy has a neutral B that shifts modes between his stilts from Yoshi's island 2 and his grounded form. This is similar in execution to Lucas' Offense up. Stilts mode makes him taller than the tall humans of the cast, but his entire lower half doesn't have a hitbox. This would make most characters be forced to use uptilts and aerials. Small characters like Squirtle would finally get out-meta'd and get hard-countered. Fox would be too short to Up Smash him, thus hard countered. But if he is hit out of his stilts, he goes into his small grounded form, allowing you to combo him until he can establish his stilts again to use in his strong neutral game.
Up B would be a propeller.
Side B would be kicking a soccer ball or driving a cart.
Aerial Down B would be a command grab, where you lift them above you and cargo carry them. Functions just like Mario's throw used in Super Mario 2 and incredibly ironic, especially if used on Mario, Luigi, and Peach. Grounded down b could be a variant of Peach's turnips.
Final Smash could be anti-guy.

Shy Guy is one of the coolest and uninspired characters in the Mario franchise. He does not have much of a moveset potential, but that means there is more potential for original ideas a la what was done with Captain Falcon. Toad is a better choice in most aspects, but Smash is all about strange and unexpected characters which means Shy Guy.

+1/2 Shy Guy

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Though my opinion may not be favorable, Ray is literally the only thing that would hype me for Project M. Heck, I even went to my local game shop where a lot of my friends hang out to ask their opinions for a new Smash character. Almost everyone brought up Custom Robo. It was pretty surprising to me, but I guess since it is something we all grew-up liking, it stuck. Certainly I'll be happy to see characters like Isaac, Sukapon, Skull Kid, or Lyn, but they just don't make me feel hype for Project M. I just don't have personal attachments to these characters.

To put it simple... I'm just someone with a niche taste that hardly ever gets satisfied. And it is not something I do on purpose. I like the games I like, and those games hardly ever get noticed. But this is a case where I feel my taste is justified. I'm not alone in liking this series and I want to see it make a comeback. And Smash is just as good a place as any to start. Fan made or not.
Imagine how I feel knowing that my Alpha-Omega tier holy grail is Mike Jones from StarTropics. Takamaru and Lip aren't too far off either.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Imagine how I feel knowing that my Alpha-Omega tier holy grail is Mike Jones from StarTropics. Takamaru and Lip aren't too far off either.
I know your pain about characters that are not in the game. We've all got a pile of those. But Ray is the only Nintendo character in this game that I would personally be excited for.

Plus, Imagine how I feel knowing my Alpha-Omega tier holy grail is Shadow the Hedgehog from Sonic Adventure 2. THAT hurts.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Man, Takamaru is so badass. One day, Takamaru. One day...

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
So I've been trying to come up with an idea for a Shy Guy moveset. I'm having a lot of trouble though. I know one of them catches himself on fire and I think they can throw things. But I think he has potential for being a really polarizing character due to his unique move. Picture this:
Shy guy has a neutral B that shifts modes between his stilts from Yoshi's island 2 and his grounded form. This is similar in execution to Lucas' Offense up. Stilts mode makes him taller than the tall humans of the cast, but his entire lower half doesn't have a hitbox. This would make most characters be forced to use uptilts and aerials. Small characters like Squirtle would finally get out-meta'd and get hard-countered. Fox would be too short to Up Smash him, thus hard countered. But if he is hit out of his stilts, he goes into his small grounded form, allowing you to combo him until he can establish his stilts again to use in his strong neutral game.
Up B would be a propeller.
Side B would be kicking a soccer ball or driving a cart.
Aerial Down B would be a command grab, where you lift them above you and cargo carry them. Functions just like Mario's throw used in Super Mario 2 and incredibly ironic, especially if used on Mario, Luigi, and Peach. Grounded down b could be a variant of Peach's turnips.
Final Smash could be anti-guy.

Shy Guy is one of the coolest and uninspired characters in the Mario franchise. He does not have much of a moveset potential, but that means there is more potential for original ideas a la what was done with Captain Falcon. Toad is a better choice in most aspects, but Smash is all about strange and unexpected characters which means Shy Guy.

+1/2 Shy Guy

I was with you until you said being tall makes Squirtle and Fox be out meta'd. Squirtle loves having people above him (USmash and U tilt) and Fox has that deadly Uair too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom