• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
Edit: You know I once wondered about a pilot wings character. I know that's silly but god was that game amazing to me...

oh snap that doub post was on accident sorry moddy

Last edited:

Doctor Pink

Smash Apprentice
You've played more than me man. I hardly deserve to vote for Ray I haven't played CR for ****.
Nonsense, anyone deserves to do anything they want as long as it isn't hurting anyone :) I imagine Ray as being a projectile based character with crazy movement. To balance this, he would need low weight and either a really poor recovery, or to be super floaty(just make him die as soon as the opponent gets in).

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
I actually imagined him being not only heavy but also with high gravity to get the sense that he was a million pounds, so like combining the toughness of Bowser and the potentially dangerous fall-speed of Falco. But then maybe he would have a jump jet up-B that lingered for a while, maybe he could be a floater next to Mewtwo and Peach.

Does Ray not have some sort of fancy melee weapon? I imagined him with a laser sword for some moves kind of like a gundam.

Last edited:

Doctor Pink

Smash Apprentice
Custom robos are actually only about 11 centimeters tall, and there aren't really melee weapons in Custom Robo :( there are close range guns, and Ray has a sort of Tackle thing. Custom Robo is mostly about controlling space via projectiles and crazy movement. Ray(as a Shining Fighter) has 2 air dashes, and is relatively average in all stats(compared to other robos) Ray 02(the model seen in smash) is actually what we use to get the base damage measurements for weapons in Custom Robo.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Just a stab in the dark here, but Event #47 in Melee is a Versus that takes place on a Majora's Mask stage. It's a bit of a stretch, but perhaps we'll see Skull Kid, or simply the Mask stage.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I sure hope it's Skull Kid. That'd be the best. Like...the best.

Honestly, movesets and everything else aside, my #1 want is to hear his laugh as a taunt. Best laugh.

Doctor Pink

Smash Apprentice
Skullkid final smash would be the song of healing played backwards, while an elegy of emptiness statue appears behind the opponent(s).

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
"LUIGI...DROWNED."
"MEWTWO...DROWNED."

Seriously though, Moon dropping is the answer. I've even seen PSAs of it pulled off already. Much hype. So win. Such Skull Kid. (Also the scream.)

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
#47 = event match 47 from melee.
Skull Kid was the first character deconfirmed for Smash 4, so that gave the PMBR time to begin work right away.
The leak.

He's in without a doubt. Feels good considering Majora's Mask is my favorite game.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Skull Kid was the first character deconfirmed for Smash 4, so that gave the PMBR time to begin work right away.
The leak.

He's in without a doubt. Feels good considering Majora's Mask is my favorite game.
I sure hope you're right. My god, I can feel the hype building right now!

PMBR plz. PLZ.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
It's quite the stretch though. I was actually going through the events today on Melee with some friends when I had my epiphany whilst starting Event #47. The only connection there is that Project M is based around Melee's elements.

Then again, perhaps it's just the right amount of far fetched. Perhaps, it's it has just the right amount if relation that the PMBR new it would take awhile to make such a connection, and that when that connection was made it wouldn't come with any certainty.

I'm gettin' too old for this ****.

Shin F.

Smash Master
It's quite the stretch though. I was actually going through the events today on Melee with some friends when I had my epiphany whilst starting Event #47. The only connection there is that Project M is based around Melee's elements.

Then again, perhaps it's just the right amount of far fetched. Perhaps, it's it has just the right amount if relation that the PMBR new it would take awhile to make such a connection, and that when that connection was made it wouldn't come with any certainty.

I'm gettin' too old for this ****.
As long as you're not seeing Ridley's NES sprite on random cliffsides like some of the Smash 4 leak guys. :p
So has all the new features been shown?
A PMBR said there's more to be announced.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Unpopular opinion time:

I'm actually opposed to adding brand new characters in general. Why? Because the original purpose of this mod is to celebrate what we love about Super Smash Bros. If we add entirely new characters, it becomes less of that and more "I'll start my own, with blackjack and hookers".

So, my only vote goes to Pichu, as long as he's not put on entirely even footing. I feel he should be handled like Dan Hibiki in Street Fighter IV; not completely hopeless, but still intentionally bottom-tier as his original purpose was to be a handicap character.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed if characters important to the Super Snash Bros. Series itself were being considered, such as Master Hand or Primid, but as that's not the case, meh.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
See, not only do I disagree with that opinion, since I'm a fan of seeing new characters given a spotlight, and I think the PMBR are too, or are definitely open to it, but I also don't see the point in adding a Dan-like character.

Sure, it's fun in theory, but really, they just end up being awful and people only play them for the novelty. I can't remember if Dan ever had moments of being competitive, but if you want to make Pichu into a joke, I just don't see the purpose in adding him. He'd just be another character, like Puff, where I got angry every time I had to fight them in randoms. #NotHype.

Besides, isn't adding new characters a way of celebrating what we love about Smash? It's an all-star game, and we're adding characters we think deserve to be included, who are all-stars in their own right, at least compared to some other characters in the game.

But opinions are opinions, I guess.

DON'T STAND BETWEEN ME AND MY SKULL KID HYPE!!

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Dan does have benefits such as deceptively high priority and a decent defensive game. "Dan's greatest strength is the illusion that he's supposed to be bad".

I also brought up Master Hand in the same post because he's technically a Melee veteran and can, I think, easily be handled like Giga Bowser was, except balanced due to not being an Easter Egg if he gets in. I know he's not in the poll and thus can't be voted for, but... Consider it.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Master Hand can be voted for, he's in the game.

I've also thought about how his moves can already be worked into a moveset. Maybe i'll plot them out or something, idk. I still said I would do Flint a while back and havent gotten around to putting it on paper.

Master Hand would be way easier to draw though...

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Master Hand can be voted for, he's in the game.
In that case, my second vote goes to Master Hand. A slow and heavyweight but very low-traction character would be pretty interesting, and I can imagine him using Mewtwo's Hovering capabilities easily.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
In that case, my second vote goes to Master Hand. A slow and heavyweight but very low-traction character would be pretty interesting, and I can imagine him using Mewtwo's Hovering capabilities easily.
I actually see MH as a faster mid weight floaty, sort of Samus like, and having three jumps.

Meh, Master Hand ideas are flowing, i'll do that instead.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I actually see MH as a faster mid weight floaty, sort of Samus like, and having three jumps.

Meh, Master Hand ideas are flowing, i'll do that instead.
I can see both jump options happening. That can be his strength - his large hit boxes will lead to him being hit a lot, but he has a massive amount of options in the air.

I'm also considering voting for Tails, a Super Smash Flash 2 veteran I'm pretty used to playing as, but I'm not sure about it yet. Partially because I doubt the PMBR will look at Tails:SSF2 for pointers when he had a unique niche there than no other character matched; He couldn't be guarded against. His attacks, weak but hitting multiple times, we're designed to reduce shields to nothing so he could go in for a combo or a disjointed KO. It fits his personality - the shields are a problem that he took it on himself to solve.

Last edited:

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
The leak.

Brawl event matches end at #41; signifying that #47 means less than nothing.:awesome:

Last edited:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Brawl event matches end at #41; signifying that #47 means less than nothing.
It's actually the opposite. That makes 47 being an event unambiguous. Plus, PM is a tribute to melee. I'd have to say 47 referring to Skull Kid is the most likely thing right now.

And -1 to Master Hand. It belongs strictly as a boss as it's always been. Its physics are also completely different than the rest of the players, and to transform that into a character that respects gravity is not worth the effort. MH is the one and only character that I would not even update my PM for if it made it.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm gonna agree on Master Hand. I actually don't think I've got 5 downvotes, so I have to give a -1 to that. I'm not going to say it's impossible for the PMBR to do it, but not only is it a seemingly gargantuan task to take that character in a game that has to use gravity like everyone else, which basically means he'd have to be almost completely rewritten, but seems unimaginative.

No offense to Master Hand fans, but honestly it's something that not only stomps on most of the hopes for characters, but just...isn't hypey. Does it really unhype someone so much if you add characters people really want, that it makes it OK to add something like Master Hand to avoid it? I'm legitimately asking here.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'm gonna agree on Master Hand. I actually don't think I've got 5 downvotes, so I have to give a -1 to that. I'm not going to say it's impossible for the PMBR to do it, but not only is it a seemingly gargantuan task to take that character in a game that has to use gravity like everyone else, which basically means he'd have to be almost completely rewritten, but seems unimaginative.

No offense to Master Hand fans, but honestly it's something that not only stomps on most of the hopes for characters, but just...isn't hypey. Does it really unhype someone so much if you add characters people really want, that it makes it OK to add something like Master Hand to avoid it? I'm legitimately asking here.
I'm not sure. For some reason, it just feels less okay to me to add totally new characters. I feel like we'll stop being taken seriously, or worse, dropped from canon.

Like I said, I'm willing to consider Tails for reasons previously stated, along with the fact that he was part of the EGM hoax that put Sonic in Brawl in the first place, but even that feels risky to me.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486

Any clone engine character would be a gargantuan task, so that point is kind of moot. I also want to point out that I dont think it's bad to add more characters that arent already there,but I do feel as if MH would be a cool character to play as. The way I see him, the main component of his moveset would be the grab move he uses as a command grab for side B.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I'm not sure. For some reason, it just feels less okay to me to add totally new characters. I feel like we'll stop being taken seriously, or worse, dropped from canon.

Like I said, I'm willing to consider Tails for reasons previously stated, along with the fact that he was part of the EGM hoax that put Sonic in Brawl in the first place, but even that feels risky to me.
Dude look. This project is taken seriously because of the direction it has taken. And the fact that people want new characters only cements that factor. Doing something that ultimately will upset your fans, like making something as silly as Master Hand playable over anyone else who has been highly demanded, is what gets people to stop taking you seriously. Honestly. There are always going to be people who don't like something no matter what you do. This is project is for the people who DO care about it. Not the people who don't.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Dude look. This project is taken seriously because of the direction it has taken. And the fact that people want new characters only cements that factor. Doing something that ultimately will upset your fans, like making something as silly as Master Hand playable over anyone else who has been highly demanded, is what gets people to stop taking you seriously. Honestly. There are always going to be people who don't like something no matter what you do. This is project is for the people who DO care about it. Not the people who don't.
I see your point.

In that case, my third vote goes to Tails. I strongly recommend that they take pointers from Tails:SSF2, though, for the sake of giving him a completely unique competitive niche, like I said before.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I really dont get all this salt over MH. There's always going to be someone out there upset because X character made it into the clone engine, so why is it silly to consider MH? He meets the criteria to be eligible, and shouldnt be bashed.

On the subject of that, I messed around with Bowser a bit, and i feel like he would have the right base to clone off of for MH. I see MH as being resized to Bowser's size, and appearing as he did in the original SSB with the cuff so it's easier to see where he ends. Bowser's Side B is already a command grab, which is easy to jump off of. His down
b buttslam could also be cloned for MH, as his fist smash thing.

Does anyone know if bowser has articles? Or whatever the type of thing is that allows projectiles.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Yeah, I do still support MH because Super Smash Bros. itself deserves a representative. That's my main reason for supporting him.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Sorry, guys, but I agree with Anti Guy, Banjodorf and Sol. Master Hand just isn't hype. He's a plain and boring character, and honestly, it would kill my hype to have him chosen over even straight-up clones. I don't feel that Smash needs a rep for itself, because Smash is all about bringing Nintendo characters together. The way I see it, every character is a Smash Bros rep, even if they don't use its symbol.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Sorry, guys, but I agree with Anti Guy, Banjodorf and Sol. Master Hand just isn't hype. He's a plain and boring character, and honestly, it would kill my hype to have him chosen over even straight-up clones. I don't feel that Smash needs a rep for itself, because Smash is all about bringing Nintendo characters together. The way I see it, every character is a Smash Bros rep, even if they don't use its symbol.
Please explain how MH is a boring character to you.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
You see, I disagree. He's not only the narrator (giving him a Shao Kahn vibe if he makes it), but he's basically the commander of the Smash universe, and don't pretend that him breaking out of the light chains and trying to strike back against Tabuu wasn't an awesome moment.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
It's just a generic, floating, white hand with a voice. It's practically the definition of boring.
You could cross out half the clone engine characters then. Lyn? Just another generic boring Swordswoman. Andy/Sami? Oh, they're just generic boring generals, aside from being child soldiers. Ray? Oh another generic boring robot like ROB.

Do you get my point? You can say that about ANYONE. You arent thinking about the moveset potential, which makes characters unique and fun to play as.

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
You could cross out half the clone engine characters then. Lyn? Just another generic boring Swordswoman. Andy/Sami? Oh, they're just generic boring generals, aside from being child soldiers. Ray? Oh another generic boring robot like ROB.

Do you get my point? You can say that about ANYONE. You arent thinking about the moveset potential, which makes characters unique and fun to play as.
They're not generic because they're established characters with established personalities, skills, and backgrounds.

Shin F.

Smash Master
You see, I disagree. He's not only the narrator (giving him a Shao Kahn vibe if he makes it), but he's basically the commander of the Smash universe. Don't pretend that him breaking out of the light chains and trying to strike back against Tabuu wasn't an awesome moment.
I like most SSE cutscenes, including that one, but that doesn't mean he's any less boring as a character. Besides, he didn't break out of the chains of light... he got knocked off of them by Ganondorf's body, then got beaten by a shield of all things. I was much more impressed by Skull Kid bringing down the moon.

Lyn, Andy, Sami, and Ray all have actual character and personality. What does Master Hand do? He fights you at the end of Classic mode and gets his ass kicked in SSE.

Moveset potential means nothing. Every character has that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom