• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I like most SSE cutscenes, including that one, but that doesn't mean he's any less boring as a character. Besides, he didn't break out of the chains of light... he got knocked off of them by Ganondorf's body, then got beaten by a shield of all things. I was much more impressed by Skull Kid bringing down moon.

Lyn, Andy, Sami, and Ray all have actual character and personality. What does Master Hand do? He fights you at the end of Classic mode and gets his *** kicked in SSE.

Moveset potential means nothing. Every character has that.
Moveset potential means EVERYTHING. If a character isint fun to play as, no one will really play it. Character and personality aare what really dont matter as much. I wouldn't have even considered any of the above except maybe Ray. But because of how people explained how their movesets could work, they became interesting.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Moveset potential means EVERYTHING. If a character isint fun to play as, no one will really play it. Character and personality aare what really dont matter as much. I wouldn't have even considered any of the above except maybe Ray. But because of how people explained how their movesets could work, they became interesting.
Dude... Sakurai made a moveset for the freaking Wii Fit Trainer. If someone like that can have unique moveset potential, any character can have unique moveset potential. Moveset potential means nothing because every character already has it equally.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Since you bring Skull Kid into the question, he's the character I would stop updating for. Creepypasta is a boring, not-funny, long-dead meme, and I can no longer take Majora's Mask seriously because it's been so thoroughly ruined by it. That's not enough to warrant a -1 vote, but I'm definitely never voting FOR him.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Since you bring Skull Kid into the question, he's the character I would stop updating for. Creepypasta is a boring, not-funny, long-dead meme, and I can no longer take Majora's Mask seriously because it's been so thoroughly ruined by it. That's not enough to warrant a -1 vote, but I'm definitely never voting FOR him.
So... you're against him because of something that basically amounts to fan fiction?

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
God this thread is making me sick right now with people's ignorance. I hate to be so blunt, but that is all this discussion currently is. Sheer ignorance. I'll be back in a few hours. See you all later.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Seriously guys. Master Hand is better than characters people clearly want? I mean, by all means, vote for Master Hand, but I expect it to get nowhere.

And to suggest Master Hand would take less or the same amount of work as Skull Kid, Lyn, anyone really, when he'd either be so unbelievably broken by his own standards and completely worthless for the competitive purposes of the game, or have to be remade to not even be the same character.

Do you really expect the PMBR, who do everything with complete professionalism in mind, to make a gravity-dependent, somehow-jumping version of Master Hand? There's an actual character that fits that, and it's Glover, who isn't eligible, but it'd probably make more sense to vote for Glover.

Come on now...

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Dude... Sakurai made a moveset for the freaking Wii Fit Trainer. If someone like that can have unique moveset potential, any character can have unique moveset potential. Moveset potential means nothing because every character already has it equally.
But nothing matters at all if the character isn't fun to play as. You could love Gannondorf to death but wont play as him in smash because the way he plays is not fun for you. Likewise, you could dislike a character in smash, but play as them because their playstyle suits you and you enjoy it.

Characters really shouldn't be bashed until after a moveset has been thought up, and brought to light in the thread.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Seriously guys. Master Hand is better than characters people clearly want? I mean, by all means, vote for Master Hand, but I expect it to get nowhere.

And to suggest Master Hand would take less or the same amount of work as Skull Kid, Lyn, anyone really, when he'd either be so unbelievably broken by his own standards and completely worthless for the competitive purposes of the game, or have to be remade to not even be the same character.

Do you really expect the PMBR, who do everything with complete professionalism in mind, to make a gravity-dependent, somehow-jumping version of Master Hand? There's an actual character that fits that, and it's Glover, who isn't eligible, but it'd probably make more sense to vote for Glover.

Come on now...
I dont expect any specific character from the PMBR. I just want whoever it is they create to be fun to play as. It just really irritates me when people write off characters as boring and generic when they won't put in the effort to consider a possible moveset for the character. As of now though, there's no point to even discussing MH, because apparently everyone is stuck in the mindset that he would be a "boring generic character".

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
So... you're against him because of something that basically amounts to fan fiction?
All I'm saying is I don't like the character. I'm not voting against him, though, because that's no excuse to kick him out away from everyone who does want him. I just hate him intensely on a personal scale because I'm sick to death of MM discussions inevitably turning into Ben Drowned worship.

It's like Ridley in SSB4 - I don't want him in because I don't like the character. But I won't gripe if he gets in because I know he has a lot of fans.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Oh my god are we really arguing that Creepy Pasta is ruining Skull Kid? There's a creepy pasta based on just about anything. Master Hand has his own creepy pasta! A character's wanting should not be affected by other material that isn't even canon.

I'll just down vote everyone while I'm at it. I've been on Creepy Pasta a lot lately, and I ran into some Rule 63 Nintendo **** and now I have nightmares... Except Master Hand. That kid crazy.

Last edited:

Doctor Pink

Smash Apprentice
All I'm saying is I don't like the character. I'm not voting against him, though, because that's no excuse to kick him out away from everyone who does want him. I just hate him intensely on a personal scale because I'm sick to death of MM discussions inevitably turning into Ben Drowned worship.

It's like Ridley in SSB4 - I don't want him in because I don't like the character. But I won't gripe if he gets in because I know he has a lot of fans.
I apologize for referencing that dumb creepypasta on the previous page, but I find the whole thing hilarious. I can understand your sentiment. The thing about that particular creepypasta, is that MM was already a pretty creepy game, and so people already had crazy assumptions about it. Ben Drowned only served to play on that creepy vibe, and turn it into something silly and nonsensical. At absolute worst, it introduced a generation to an excellent game. I thank you for being honest about your opinions, as it is easy for people to melt into a hivemind. I only really want Ray in Project M if they make him a projectile-based character who is somewhere between Samus and Jigglypuff, and if they give him Oil Can as an alt.

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
I personally love Master Hand but I must admit that he would be a terrible choice for clone engine character.

I just feel that the clone engine wouldn't be able to do any justice for him.

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761

Come on now...
Had do to it.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I'm not in favor of MH, but I just wanted to comment on one thing. It was mentioned that being free from gravity would present a problem. However, couldn't they just make it so MH is hovering slightly off the ground? I mean, Mewtwo does this whenever he moves, so I feel like hovering while idle as well wouldn't be a problem. I may be wrong about this though. Let me know. MH would also have to be shrunken down to work, but it's already in agreement that shrinking someone (Like Ridley) isn't something they're apposed to. I feel like they could make him work well if they wanted too, unless I'm just wrong about this stuff. Again, I'd rather not have him. Just playing Devil's advocate here.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'm not in favor of MH, but I just wanted to comment on one thing. It was mentioned that being free from gravity would present a problem. However, couldn't they just make it so MH is hovering slightly off the ground? I mean, Mewtwo does this whenever he moves, so I feel like hovering while idle as well wouldn't be a problem. I may be wrong about this though. Let me know. MH would also have to be shrunken down to work, but it's already in agreement that shrinking someone (Like Ridley) isn't something they're apposed to. I feel like they could make him work well if they wanted too, unless I'm just wrong about this stuff. Again, I'd rather not have him. Just playing Devil's advocate here.
This was exactly what I was thinking. Gameplaywise, it would translate into a low-traction character with good jumping ability; a heavyweight with a good wavedashing/aerial game.

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
God this thread is making me sick right now with people's ignorance. I hate to be so blunt, but that is all this discussion currently is. Sheer ignorance. I'll be back in a few hours. See you all later.
Dude all you do is say abrasiveness stuff and then don't back it up. It's totally lame. You can't just be like, "Um, well you're a STOOPID HEAD BAI" and take off. You do it to me too. Not liking what you like is not IGNORANCE lol jezus.

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
Gosh why can't we all chill
You wanna see real ignorance? I don't even know who skull kid is. That's right, I never played majora's mask, OR OoT. DUN DUN DUNNN. I only played WW TP and LbW. All awesome games but yeah I'm totally a poser when it comes to Zelda since I never touched the classics.

I'd like to be swayed on this Skullkid being a substantial PM character though. Like what are his powers? What kind of unique moveset could he have? Apparently he was in charge of the evil moon or whatever, right?

themaziest

Smash Cadet
Okay so I came to the point of being more hype toward Project M rather than Smash Bros 4. Their love for competition and the intelligence of their changes and additions delighted me. Don't get me wrong, I always want to play the next installment of the series... but I'm kind of glad that Skull Kid is confirmed as an AT to leave the field open to the PM Team.

I can not thank you enough for your awesome work. Anyway, let's vote. I hope I understood the rules correctly :

+1 Skull Kid : My most wanted newcommer for Project M, by far. Everything has already been said.

+1 Ridley : I feel like he is almost garanteed to be in Smash 4 so I'm afraid he can't make it in Project M, but an aerial fighter like him would make my day. He is so charismatic. Who said he was too big ? These are unbelievable words!

+1 Ninten/Boku : Give us the last kid of this wonderful trilogy. I was lately thinking about his specials :

Up-B : 4th-D Slip - A fast way to avoid the battle and also recover on the field, like a teleport.
Side-B : PK Beam - Similar to PK freeze, this shoots a fast beam in front of him, great for edge-guard.
Standard-B : Shield off - Could be the best shield breaker of the game but easy to dodge.
Down-B : PowerShield - It creates an energy field around Ninten and propels enemy who tries to strike it with high knock-back. When used in the air, it halts the player's falling speed similar to PSI Magnet.

And he could share standards/aerials with Ness & Lucas, but pay attention to give his own smashes. A lovely character to imagine, and probably fairly easy to include.

____

+1/2 Revamp Ganondorf : I feel he is correct right now, but he missed some moves representative of what is.

+1/2 Slippy : I'm really curious about what could give an entire Project M "spacie". More reliable arsenal but quite slow movements ? Plus he's hilarious.

+1/2 Isaac : He's maybe the most deserving character to integrate Project M and could bring fresh air to the cast.

____

Hmm... I also don't get the point of down vote... really... thus I'm going to miss out on it. Thanks to readers and good luck to count every votes. Hope it was readable (non-native speaker spotted).

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Since Majora's Mask is my all-time favorite game, the only problem I have with Skull Kid being playable is that it gives credence to that ****ty leak full of characters I don't want. :c

EDIT: Holy wow, who opened the stupid floodgates? You're letting all the stupid out.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
You wanna see real ignorance? I don't even know who skull kid is. That's right, I never played majora's mask, OR OoT. DUN DUN DUNNN. I only played WW TP and LbW. All awesome games but yeah I'm totally a poser when it comes to Zelda since I never touched the classics.

I'd like to be swayed on this Skullkid being a substantial PM character though. Like what are his powers? What kind of unique moveset could he have? Apparently he was in charge of the evil moon or whatever, right?
Skull Kid has appeared in 3 games - OoT, Majora's Mask and TP. He has a slightly different skill set in each game, with TP being the most different but Majora's Mask being the most significant and the one he'd be based on.

In OoT, he's associated with the Lost Woods and has a blow pipe he can use to fire darts. This is his least significant appearance with the fewest abilities.

In Majora's Mask, he's the villain for the majority of the game along with Majora itself. This is the most famous appearance and the one he would be based on the most. With Majora's power, he gains access to very powerful magic. Most of this magic is used to torment the people of Termina with curses. His specifically shown abilities include the ability to hover, to forcefully transform people into various things (including a Deku, a child, and even temporarily destroying the Great Fairies by breaking them apart into smaller ones), his scream (which is envisioned as being a paralyzing attack like the Redeads), and of course his iconic ability to summon the Moon.

Majora has its own skill set to bring with it, as well, though. The spikes on its mask can grow out into whip-like tentacles, it's able to fire large beams of fiery energy, and it can act independently of Skull Kid if needed. The tentacles can be used for both normal attacks and his grab attack. (Although unlikely to be used for more than a couple of attacks, he was once envisioned as the same sort of situation that Rosalina and Luma have, with Skull Kid and Majora able to act and attack separately.)

And Finally, you have his TP appearance, which is speculated for many reasons to be the same Skull Kid, centuries after the Majora's Mask. This Skull Kid has the ability to teleport and summon puppets that he can use to fight for him. He also has a lantern that has been suggested could cause some Fire damage if used as a Melee attack.

Altogether, there's a lot of material to use to construct a moveset. Because Skull Kid is a jokester / prankster type, that's the type of moves he's seen as having for his normals and his movement. Quick, erratic movements and a tricky playstyle with powerful magic to back it up.
Okay so I came to the point of being more hype toward Project M rather than Smash Bros 4. Their love for competition and the intelligence of their changes and additions delighted me. Don't get me wrong, I always want to play the next installment of the series... but I'm kind of glad that Skull Kid is confirmed as an AT to leave the field open to the PM Team.

I can not thank you enough for your awesome work. Anyway, let's vote. I hope I understood the rules correctly :

+1 Skull Kid : My most wanted newcommer for Project M, by far. Everything has already been said.

+1 Ridley : I feel like he is almost garanteed to be in Smash 4 so I'm afraid he can't make it in Project M, but an aerial fighter like him would make my day. He is so charismatic. Who said he was too big ? These are unbelievable words!

+1 Ninten/Boku : Give us the last kid of this wonderful trilogy. I was lately thinking about his specials :

Up-B : 4th-D Slip - A fast way to avoid the battle and also recover on the field, like a teleport.
Side-B : PK Beam - Similar to PK freeze, this shoots a fast beam in front of him, great for edge-guard.
Standard-B : Shield off - Could be the best shield breaker of the game but easy to dodge.
Down-B : PowerShield - It creates an energy field around Ninten and propels enemy who tries to strike it with high knock-back. When used in the air, it halts the player's falling speed similar to PSI Magnet.

And he could share standards/aerials with Ness & Lucas, but pay attention to give his own smashes. A lovely character to imagine, and probably fairly easy to include.

____

+1/2 Revamp Ganondorf : I feel he is correct right now, but he missed some moves representative of what is.

+1/2 Slippy : I'm really curious about what could give an entire Project M "spacie". More reliable arsenal but quite slow movements ? Plus he's hilarious.

+1/2 Isaac : He's maybe the most deserving character to integrate Project M and could bring fresh air to the cast.

____

Hmm... I also don't get the point of down vote... really... thus I'm going to miss out on it. Thanks to readers and good luck to count every votes. Hope it was readable (non-native speaker spotted).
Always glad to see some Ninten support! I like your moveset ideas, as well. If you want to check it out, I've got a post in my sig with a bunch of moveset ideas as well. It's pretty fun to look at.

http://smashboards.com/threads/clon...ting-more-votes.341479/page-291#post-16518709

Last edited:

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106

Reading this gave me a ****ing hernia.

____

reading this gave me a f*cking hernia.

Last edited:

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
-1 Master Hand:
He's uninteresting. Why make a moveset out of him when there is potential for so much more? If we follow basic Smash fundamentals to make his moveset, then he's just a hand that moves. If we don't follow fundamentals to make his moveset, then he'll either be broken or even more boring than he already is (or both). I'd rather have Wireframe Falcon clones, tbh. I would like him to remain as a boss, because that is the only appearance of his that could make sense in my eyes.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Dude all you do is say abrasiveness stuff and then don't back it up. It's totally lame. You can't just be like, "Um, well you're a STOOPID HEAD BAI" and take off. You do it to me too. Not liking what you like is not IGNORANCE lol jezus.
Dude, I've been gone for 6 hours. It is called walking away from the computer. Something I can obviously tell you haven't been doing, since you were stalking my status in the first place. Take a ****ing chill pill and read my last post. Jeeze.

Last edited:

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
-1 Master Hand:
He's uninteresting. Why make a moveset out of him when there is potential for so much more? If we follow basic Smash fundamentals to make his moveset, then he's just a hand that moves. If we don't follow fundamentals to make his moveset, then he'll either be broken or even more boring than he already is (or both). I'd rather have Wireframe Falcon clones, tbh. I would like him to remain as a boss, because that is the only appearance of his that could make sense in my eyes.
Agreed.
-1 to Master Hand

Reason: Because he is a boring character that was designed to be a boss, and nothing else.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514

The moon LOOKED evil, but it was unwilling. Skull Kid sent it slowly crashing down into the planet over a span of three days, ending all life on the planet if Link forgot to play the Song of Time to send himself backward and complete all of the tasks he needed to do.

Saying any more would be a major spoiler.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Btw all this '-1' talk, is just an informal expression right? We can't neg vote for realsies can we?
As long as you provide a good reason, yes, they count.
Agreed.
-1 to Master Hand
Now, Cool Blue, you know that I know why you're downvoting him, but you still gotta give us something or we can't count it.

Last edited:

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
YES!!! Oh my gosh. I must go to my thinking lair and I will return with a furious arsenal of neg votes. MWAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh so wait I imagine we only get 5 neg votes right?

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Btw all this '-1' talk, is just an informal expression right? We can't neg vote for realsies can we?
Refer to Shadow the Hedgehog if you want the most sophisticated answer to your question.

Shadow: -53.5 (12, 7, 69, 21.59%)

UltimateWario

Smash Master
The moon LOOKED evil, but it was unwilling. Skull Kid sent it slowly crashing down into the planet over a span of three days, ending all life on the planet if Link forgot to play the Song of Time to send himself backward and complete all of the tasks he needed to do.
"The Moon" from Majora's Mask is, in fact, an entity of pure magic (and, I guess, evil) created by Majora's Mask. The "inside" of the Moon is a realm entirely of the Mask's creation, and it dissolves upon Majora's banishment from the Mask.

Not to mention that the thing screams that it wants to consume everything as it's about to crash into Termina.

Shin F.

Smash Master
YES!!! Oh my gosh. I must go to thinking lair and I will return with a furious arsenal of neg votes. MWAHAHAHAHAHA
You might want to think very carefully about this. The reason we require a good reason for down-votes is because people try to use them to play the numbers and boost their own favorites. Down votes are for characters who would ruin your experience of the game. Not just for characters you're neutral on or slightly disllike. Characters who would ruin things for you. If we think you're downvoting just to make your own faves seem more popular than they are, and not for a sufficient reason, you're not gonna get your votes counted.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
"The Moon" from Majora's Mask is, in fact, an entity of pure magic (and, I guess, evil) created by Majora's Mask. The "inside" of the Moon is a realm entirely of the Mask's creation, and it dissolves upon Majora's banishment from the Mask.

Not to mention that the thing screams that it wants to consume everything as it's about to crash into Termina.
Huh... I was just thinking about the part where it shed a tear.

It HAS been several years since I last played it.

You might want to think very carefully about this. The reason we require a good reason for down-votes is because people try to use them to play the numbers and boost their own favorites. Down votes are for characters who would ruin your experience of the game. Not just for characters you're neutral on or slightly disllike. Characters who would ruin things for you. If we think you're downvoting just to make your own faves seem more popular than they are, and not for a sufficient reason, you're not gonna get your votes counted.
This. It's why I'm not downvoting Skull Kid; doing it out of merely not liking someone is just superficial, shallow, and ain't gonna' cut it.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master

I'm fairly sure it wasn't a real tear, it was just a gemstone that was shaped like one...

A reluctant moon wouldn't scream its desire to consume the world.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master

I forgot about that part. I suppose it could be interpreted that the "Moon" was unwilling. Interesting idea.

It wasn't a real tear, it was just a gemstone that was shaped like one...
I think he's referring to the symbolic nature of the event, rather than the fact that the tear is literally a tear. MM is practically made of symoblism, anyway. :p

Anyway, since you say that BEN DROWNED crap has ruined it for you, you should definitely give it another go. I recently went back and 100%ed MM again, and I was not disappointed. The game holds up like a dream.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
So just for a quick change in topic. Do you guys think that PMBR is going to announce anything tonight?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
So just for a quick change in topic. Do you guys think that PMBR is going to announce anything tonight?
Maybe some more of those costumes we haven't seen, yet.

I mean, Skull Kid would be great and all (if that's what #47 is referencing), but I'm not seeing it happen tonight, as well as the fact that I'd much rather see Isaac as the "harbinger" of the Clone Characters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom