• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltimateWario

Smash Master

Would there be any big disappointments?
Gonna go ahead and say, minus Lip, this is a solid-ass roster, and I would play P:M until the day I died with this ****.

Then I'm gonna tell you that nobody in this thread is going to like it because no Pichu and because at least half of the newcomer roster have to be clones of Ness and Lucas. :yeahboi:

-1 Ridley

;For a long time I've been wanting to say this, but this gigantic, mindless, squabbling vulture lizard does not belong in Smash Brothers beyond being some sort of annoying background stage gimmick. I know he's the classic monster in Metroid. If he were a bit smaller, humanlike perhaps, and more sentient and conscious, like a "villain" should be, I could understand. But I think Dark Samus is going to be more appropriate as a Samus villain and runner-up Metroid representative.
Ba!

BAHAHAHA!

BWAHAHAHA!

You clearly know literally nothing about Metroid. Go take five or so minutes to read about Ridley on the Metroid Wiki.

Go ahead, I'll wait.

This YouTube-tier **** is exactly the kind of stuff that needs to stay out of this thread. It's even got the requisite "RIDLEY'S JUST A MINDLESS MONSTER HE DOESN'T BELONG" and "DARK SAMUS OR A HUNTER WOULD BE FAR MORE APPROPRIATE". Please bother to do even the slightest semblance of research before posting a bunch of crap about a character that isn't even true.

Last edited:

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
-1 Ridley

;For a long time I've been wanting to say this, but this gigantic, mindless, squabbling vulture lizard does not belong in Smash Brothers beyond being some sort of annoying background stage gimmick. I know he's the classic monster in Metroid. If he were a bit smaller, humanlike perhaps, and more sentient and conscious, like a "villain" should be, I could understand. But I think Dark Samus is going to be more appropriate as a Samus villain and runner-up Metroid representative.
I say this as someone who doesn't care for Ridley, but... Ridley is all of those things you say he isn't. I know this because I made the same mistake by showing my overwhelming Metroid ignorance to my Metroid-obsessed cousin. Apparently he can even speak in human languages.

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
See, the problem with this argument is that Ness and Lucas were 'support' based characters as well, but they worked just fine because they're able to borrow moves from their allies. It could easily work the same way with Andy and Sami. I mean, is there anything Sami could do that Andy is just physically incapable of learning from her?
The very first and foremost reason I ever thought Andy was a good Smash character was that he could creatively use his wrenches in combat to define his entire basic moveset (his specials being more based on explosives and vehicles). I never considered Sami since she just seems to wield firearms as a character, and straight-up bullet-spitting firearms don't really belong in Smash Brothers.

I say this as someone who doesn't care for Ridley, but... Ridley is all of those things you say he isn't. I know this because I made the same mistake by showing my overwhelming Metroid ignorance to my Metroid-obsessed cousin. Apparently he can even speak in human languages.
I have to admit I'm basing him mainly on the Prime game he's in, the Prime series being all I've played. : / If in all the other installments he is actually an intelligent being with some form of character development I seriously do apologize for my ignorant assumption. But my points that he's too big and monstrous, even moreso than Bowser, to be in the roster I think are still valid.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Ya know... Despite the fact Ridley is one of my least favorite choices on the list, I'm starting to warm up to him a bit. Mostly because I can understand the fans who want him. Getting shut down all the time and treated like crap just for suggesting him. It sounds like a regular day in the Sonic Fan Base. I hope something good does happen to Ridley in some regard, rather it be in Project M or Smash 4.

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
Ya know... Despite the fact Ridley is one of my least favorite choices on the list, I'm starting to warm up to him a bit. Mostly because I can understand the fans who want him. Getting shut down all the time and treated like crap just for suggesting him. It sounds like a regular day in the Sonic Fan Base. I hope something good does happen to Ridley in some regard, rather it be in Project M or Smash 4.
Heck I'm shocked I get so shut-down and treated like crap for UN-suggesting him. People seem to really love this absurd looking pterodactyl monster.

edit: I won't be surprised if he winds up in S4 and I feel totes crunchy.

Btw I may as well put this neg vote in:

-1 Pichu

He just is too much like pikachu and there's more than enough pokemon. It'd be cooler to put in a raichu anyway haha. Right? A heavier pikachu clone easy peasy.

Last edited:

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
I have to admit I'm basing him mainly on the Prime game he's in, the Prime series being all I've played. : / If in all the other installments he is actually an intelligent being with some form of character development I seriously do apologize for my ignorant assumption. But my points that he's too big and monstrous, even moreso than Bowser, to be in the roster I think are still valid.
As I understand it, you actually have to delve into the supplemental material to know any of these things. I don't know that it's ever made explicitly clear in the games (it's not as if there's a lot of dialogue). As I said earlier, I know very little about Metroid, having only played Super Metroid and watched friends play some of the other games, so I could be wrong about this.

According to the wiki, his personality is elaborated upon in the manga, which was never released officially in English. And if you aren't a big Metroid fan, there would really be no reason to go searching up a fan translation. Even if you were going on the official descriptions in the game manuals, you get such gems as these:
"It's the head of Mini-Boss Hideout II. It jumps up into the air and breathes fire. It's the original life form of the planet Zebes and is controlled by Mother Brain." - Metroid

"Extremely dangerous! Enormous wing-span and long, whip-like tail. Moves very fast and attacks with alarming ferocity. Emits fireballs of gas from elongated beak. Will try to pick up enemies and crush them with razor-sharp talons." - Metroid: Zero Mission website

On the other hand, his Smash trophies do make mention of him being "highly intelligent", although I suppose if you don't know any better you could expect that to be similar to how people say that dolphins are very intelligent animals. But you wouldn't expect a dolphin to write you a book report on Great Expectations or devise a plot to kill your family, of course. Or would you?

Heck I'm shocked I get so shut-down and treated like crap for UN-suggesting him. People seem to really love this absurd looking pterodactyl monster.

edit: I won't be surprised if he winds up in S4 and I feel totes crunchy.
Well, the votes do show that Ridley is an extremely popular character, so it shouldn't be that surprising. Wouldn't you be bothered if someone said your favorite character sucked?

Last edited:

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
^lol yes and it happens on the reg.

dude Silver would be a crazy interesting smash char. if he wasn't like totally just a hedehog mewtwo haha

Last edited:

Pluid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pluiid
3DS FC
1435-4675-5379
Throwing in some votes here.
+1
Dixie (Need more DK reps, would be great and unique edition with her moveset.)
Paper Mario (I just love this idea all around, I can't give too much of a reason though haha)
Bowser Jr. (Wouldn't be too hard to make, really popular, a mobile Bowser, stays true to the Melee style of cloning.)
Dark Samus (Need more Metroid reps, reminiscent of Melee-esque cloning, wouldn't be too obscure of a pick.)
Pichu (OG Melee character, stay true to PM(elee), any other char that's picked would cause people to take PM less seriously)
+.5
Skull Kid
Lyn
Tom nook
Tails
Masked Man

I feel like there's enough negativity in here so I'll pass on negative votes.

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
Full Votes:
  • Black Shadow/ Ganondorf(Ganondorf greatly needs a more fitting moveset, just a few days ago I was telling a friend that we need another F-zero character, And Black Shadow seems to be a perfect fit.)
  • Sukapon(I-I don't know, 'just kinda like him.:))
  • Pichu(He's(She's?) a Melee veteran and deserves to come back.)
  • Ridley(Metroid needs another character. And I've wanted him since Melee.)
  • K.Rool(Because we need more evil kings.)
Half-votes:
  • Dark samus(If I may quote
  • Bowser Jr.(While I would enjoy him in the game, I feel he's too risky for a full vote.)
  • Tails(If Sonic was to get any of his buddies into this, I guess it would be Tails.)
  • Ray mkIII('Haven't played the game, but he looks like he'd be a good fighter. )
  • Isaac(pretty much the same as Ray.)
Down-votes:
  • Pokemon Trainer(We've got enough pokemon characters as it is. (Contradictions wow)
  • Paper Mario(We've got enough Mario characters.)
  • Toad(See paper mario)
If possible, I'd like to remove all my previous downvotes. (Red, Toad, and Paper Mario) Because I now realize that those were all stupid a** reasons, and I'm honestly just indifferent on those characters.

Last edited:

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
This thread makes me realize how much of a bad person I am because I cannot bring myself to respect people's opinions that are not my own

seanbb

Smash Cadet
Full votes
Black Shadow/ Ganondorf ( Ganondorf needs an unique moveset)
Shadow

half votes
None

Down votes
Toad (there are too mario characters)
Paper mario (there are too mario characters)
Bowser jr (there are too mario characters)
waluigi (there are too mario characters)
ridley

Last edited:

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
I don't think I've put this out here:

-1 Ridley (For the sake of time, let's just say he's ugly and I don't want him in Smash)

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641

-1 Ridley (For the sake of time, let's just say he's ugly and I don't want him in Smash)
See, I do support Ridley myself, (and avid fan of the space dragon), but your argument is one I can live with. Actually, I can live with most of them for the most part. It's essentially just the "He's too big" argument people are taking sizes too seriously in a non-canon, spinoff franchise. I don't see stuff that comes from Smash Bros that consistently stays in the other franchises.

I mean, yeah, we've had Kirby have a Smash powerup in Amazing Mirror, but it's not a recurring powerup, and stuff that has started IN Smash Brothers (such as Duon, for example purposes), has not consistently been in other games. You can't even use "Oh Metal Mario though" because he originated in Super Mario 64 as the Metal Cap Block, so he's Mario canon that has been a recurring thing in Smash Brothers, rather than the other way around.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット

If we can down vote a candidate because they're ugly, then I guess I'll have to place a -1 for your Mom!

Oooohhhhh.

But in all seriousness come up with a better reason man.

Last edited:

Exodo

Smash Ace
My Votes and ideas for moveset:
+1
Pichu:pichumelee:: Melee Veteran, could be done in such an awesome way.
Moveset: Make it faster but lighter than pikachu, could have that lucario smash 4 vibe, the higher its % the stronger its attack gets. for example: - down special 0-10% (15%) 11-20% (16%) 21-30% (17%) and like all the way up to 100%+ where it would do 25%.
this could also be applied on its stats as shown on lucario how building to much aura could be dangerous for him since its attack get to much range, for like the up b the higher his % the longer the distance or maybe it jumps more and more like on 100% its can do it 3 times instead of 2. its neutral b or maybe side b could use a stun mechanic that builds more stunning powers the higher the % like ZSS neutral b and down smash.

Slippy?:186:: an Aprils Fools joke striking for revenge.
Moveset: its stats could be based on the star fox assault stats, even tho fox and falco should be switched based on that. make him heavier and slower than fox and falco but give it some crazy vertical jumps. since he has short limbs he will have less range and slower attacks but a little bit stronger. slippy could incorporate some tripping mechanics like diddy's banana for example its side b could cause the enemy to trip and its dash attack could be him trippin foward the enemy as a missed try doing the same dash attack as fox and falco. its blaster should be green, and as game and watch down b having an random odd of hitting 9 it should have a random chance of causing the person shot to trip, maybe make them a bit slower than falco's and damage like fox's. its side b could also be a grenade like the one he is shown with on the star fox assault box, it could work like snakes neutral b.

Dark Samus: an perfect clone, better than ridley imo.
Moveset: she can be a much faster and ligther samus but also less damaging, her attacks like samus has fire and ice could be electric or dark energy like attacks, neutral b having it like fox blasters can shoot really fast without knockback without charging. up b can be faster and larger in range but instead of multiple hits it only strikes once. its smash attacks and aerials can be faster like samus with ice.

Black Shadow/Ganondorf:ganondorfmelee:: 2 on 1 combo, Black Shadow would fit better with the actual Ganons moveset based on that its a captains falcon clone.
Moveset: Ganondorf can incorporate its sword(finally) and give it some dark magic powers as shown in ocarina and other games. with the new alt skin of ocarina his sword could be the one from melee. maybe it could have a small levitation like mewtwo and peach and could have some ranged magic attacks. basicaly a moveset that actually fits its character based on the games.

i was planning to do a thread about specifically pichu and slippy but i dont feel like it.. anyway this are my up votes:estatic:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Your other votes are fine, but we don't count -1 votes without a good reason. (Too many Mario characters is a fine reason for the others).
The very first and foremost reason I ever thought Andy was a good Smash character was that he could creatively use his wrenches in combat to define his entire basic moveset (his specials being more based on explosives and vehicles). I never considered Sami since she just seems to wield firearms as a character, and straight-up bullet-spitting firearms don't really belong in Smash Brothers.
This is how I envisioned Andy, as well.
Just to expand here (as a Metroid fan), Ridley is highly intelligent. Not just "dolphin" intelligent, either. He's actually the general / commander / leader of the Space Pirates. He may even be beyond human intelligence. You don't really see this in the games when you fight him because he and Samus aren't the type to beat around the bush and banter back and forth before they battle. When they see each other, they just go straight for the kill. It's just a part of his ruthless personality, more than anything.

As for ability to talk - in the manga, I think he does, but I'm not sure if he can in the games.

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
I gotta throw down a formal negative on Slippy.

-1 Slippy

I can envision him to be a unique fighter being a frog and whatnot but 3 "Spacies" is enough, especially considering how much they already resemble one another.

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
If we can down vote a candidate because they're ugly, then I guess I'll have to place a -1 for your Mom!

Oooohhhhh.

But in all seriousness come up with a better reason man.
I chose that reason because a guy a couple pages back got his arguments dissed and was told something along the lines of "even saying he's ugly would be a better argument that", but if you don't think that's a good of enough reason for you, here you go (don't know if these will be eligible reasons tho):

~ I don't see him being a good fit for Smash.
~ He's too big.
~ I don't like him.
~ I'm afraid of him.
~ He loses to a girl, constantly.
~ He would have a moveset that relies on extremes, that while not being used before (Absolute preference to being airborne), would be difficult to balance effectively.
~ His menacing presence would be greatly subdued if he were to be reduced in size to fit in with the rest of the cast.
~ There would time constraints in order to suit Alfonso up to replace him as a boss character (along with Meta-Alfonso).
~ I'm salty because Sonic characters are being neglected

That's everything I can think of right now, even though part of the reason I did was also because SOME Ridley supporters seem feel completely entitled to have him in this game or Smash 4. And also, I think Dark Samus would be a better fit, but that can't be a reason as far as I've seen, hence why I didn't include it.

Also, you got my mama all up in tears, man, she even supports Ridley an' all!

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I just explored the internet today and found a character who I really think should be on the list on this thread.
He's a character whom was referenced in a trophy in Melee, but he's originally from the NES.

"Mach Rider takes place in the year 2112, and planet Earth has been invaded by evil forces driving vehicles known as Quadrunners. The player controls Mach Rider, who travels from sector to sector on a motorcycle, searching for survivors and destroying the enemies in his path."

This guy could make a sweet unique clone of C. Falcon. He's been suggested as a character to be added in Sm4sh, but if that doesn't happen, Project M should definitely take advantage of using this unique character.

Funny thing about him, if he does become a Captain clone, Mach Rider can be seen as the predecessor to F-Zero, due to both having muscular main characters, and both involve driving futuristic vehicles at high speeds.
What do you guys think of Mach Rider?

Shin F.

Smash Master
I just explored the internet today and found a character who I really think should be on the list on this thread.
He's a character whom was referenced in a trophy in Melee, but he's originally from the NES.

"Mach Rider takes place in the year 2112, and planet Earth has been invaded by evil forces driving vehicles known as Quadrunners. The player controls Mach Rider, who travels from sector to sector on a motorcycle, searching for survivors and destroying the enemies in his path."

This guy could make a sweet unique clone of C. Falcon. He's been suggested as a character to be added in Sm4sh, but if that doesn't happen, Project M should definitely take advantage of using this unique character.

Funny thing about him, if he does become a Captain clone, Mach Rider can be seen as the predecessor to F-Zero, due to both having muscular main characters, and both involve driving futuristic vehicles at high speeds.
He's been mentioned here before (I already gave him a half-vote, even), but we couldn't get him much support. I envisioned him as using a chain for the majority of his attacks like a whip, but I like the moveset you found as well. We debated whether he should always ride his bike or use it for a move like Wario did, but I can't remember if we agreed on one.

To be added to the list of characters in the OP, a character has to have 10 votes with at least 5 of them being positive votes. If you want him there, you need to get him some support before we can add him. Fortunately, he got some votes already the last time he was brought up and currently has one vote and four half-votes.

Last edited:

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106

wow man you put a lot of work into that. Good job. I ought to do that for the characters I'm pulling for as well.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Did you make that graphic with the moveset? I like the illustrations.

But that's not what Vs. Mach Rider is. At all.
Nope. Found it on Google Images, it was from Deviant art originally. But it linked to the Mach Rider Support for Smash 4 thread.
I wholeheartedly agree with that moveset for him though. Mach Rider looks buff and badass enough to use C. Falcon's moveset. His final smash can be him driving the bike.
I'll support Mach Rider and give him a 1/2 Vote.

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
You guys know what crazy idea I had recently that will never be but would be really fun?

A female pokemon trainer who uses Greninja, Braixen and Chespin. In a roster where the other Pokemon Trainer still existed.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
You guys know what crazy idea I had recently that will never be but would be really fun?

A female pokemon trainer who uses Greninja, Braixen and Chespin. In a roster where the other Pokemon Trainer still existed.
Sorry, but there are two issues:

1) Greninja is off limits because of Smash 4.
2) That would still count in-code as three more reps.

Anyway, +.5 to Mach Rider. I'm usually in favor of repping unrepped series compared to expanding on established ones.

Last edited:

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
You know what I want to know? How many characters is PM even willing to make?
Reading over the OP would answer a lot of these questions actually.

As it stands now, they are capable of making 7 characters (which includes Roy and Mewtwo, so only 5 slots are left), but there's no guarantee that the remaining slots will ever be filled.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Why does the salt content of this thread go waaay past normal everytime i leave? Anyway i'll just say a few things since i missed all the action. Not trying to rustle any jimmies here but i'd like to just present my (possibly unpopular) opinion.

@Saikyoshi and @PlateProp

I understand COMPLETELY how you feel about adding a new character. As was mentioned previously, this is the PMBR we're dealing with here so i'm confident they can pretty much do whatever they want with any potential characters and make them very enjoyable BUT... Something about them adding a new character....takes a speck of professionalism/legitimacy/whateveryouwannacallit away from the game for me at least. If i had to explain why i felt this way i suppose it would mainly have to do with the Project M overall just being more of a rebalancing mod. It doesn't have the "new game" spark to warrant new characters for me, which isn't a bad thing. The reason i and i'm sure many people love it is because they fix what needs to be fixed for relatively balanced competitive play and don't change the base of the game.

Just a few pages before you posted i had posted my opinion which falls in line with yours on why i thought PM needed a character that represented smash as a whole.(Link to Post) To keep things short i'll say this; I'm in agreement with you about PM needing a character that represents smash before adding any new characters. I'm in disagreement in that i think tabuu would be a much better choice than master hand or crazy hand. Perhaps they can be referenced in tabuu's moveset as a final smash or something, after all he did control them.

I'll follow this up by saying, i'd love to see PM add new characters, but not after they fix these things which are in order of importance.
  1. Get every mode working. If you can't, provide workarounds or replace the mode with something more useful/hype. If SHTF then remove the mode all together. (Namely SSE but also tournament)
  2. A new more uniform menu theme is in order.
  3. Balance balance and more balance. (Including Final Smashes)
  4. The stage select screen and the actual stages could use some work here and there.
  5. If possible add new items and assist trophies.
  6. Change the victory screen to be in line with the new menu theme.
  7. Make everyone's costume count the same. Regardless of whether they're normal or alternate, the total costumes should be the same across the board.
  8. Change the intro video as well as how to play video.
  9. Change the music.
  10. Fix Wifi
  11. Remove Fox :troll:
If they do at least 5 of these (don't care which just any 5) i would consider PM definitely worthy of new character additions. For right now honestly if new characters get added it would feel more like DLC to me than a worthy addition unless it is of course the exception to the rule (tabuu because he can represent smash as a whole).

@ Solbliminal Solbliminal The Ray concept work is marvelous however go tend to your life duties, we'll be here waiting. :)

@ CBO0tz CBO0tz That looks REALLY interesting. Since wario no longer has his bike they can use that for his final smash.

+1/2 Mach Rider: I can dig it.:shades:

@ Warsaint777 Warsaint777 I see your already receiving flak for what you said so i'll be a little nicer than others. The PMBR (Project M Back Room) are who you're are referring to. PM is just the game. Basically your asking how many characters is the game going to put into PM which is well....yeah you get the idea. Also please read the OP it should answer most of your questions regarding voting rules and clone engine specifics.

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Well, with that Mach Rider now has 1+ vote and 9 +.5 votes. Half votes are positive, right?
Also, little more info about that design of Mach Rider in the moveset illustration for him, it's based on his look from his Melee trophy.

Here's his original outfit, which could work as an Alt. Costume for him.

I can imagine his Alt costume getting a bunch of palette swaps that make him look like other classic game characters.. *cough cough Doomguy * or a color based on his look on the Mach Rider game cover art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom