• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatDolphin

Smash Cadet
I mean, let's be real, Pichu is only ever used to troll in Melee. If you wanted to seriously play Pichu, you played Pikachu. Also we have like 8000 pokemon.

Sukapon would REALLY have to grow on people. You could go the /r/smashbros and say "HEY GUYS HOW ABOUT SUKAPON FOR SMASH?", and a lot of people would have no idea what you're talking about. I agree 100% with Gascho.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Well for Pichu, Pichu was just a worse clone of pikachu and at least with my friends and the competitive players who play, pichu was only used when the person playing him thought they were way better than the other player.

Sukapon I have to be a jerk about because i find him extremely weird and the fact that he has support scares me because i would hate to see him take up one of the 5 character spots from another character.

Also if i came across as a jerk to anyone I'm sorry. I was rushing to get my votes across and could've gone into more details about my opinion.
+1
Paper Mario: He is the star in 4 very successful games and can have a multitude of different attacks from his different games. PMBR could take G&W as a base and make paper mario out of it, so it wouldn't be too hard to make him.

Bowser Jr: A quick Bowser that can do big damage and is harder to hit. Sounds like Fox but without a shine or lasers. You can even implement his paint into some moves.

Ninten: PMBR could take Ness and change his colors and then you get Ninten. A lot of intersting things coulds could come out of Ninten and he could hopefully be a mix of how Ness and Lucas play.

Ridley: Re-skin Charizard and give him a couple of new moves and you're good. We need another Metroid character and villians and Ridley fits perfectly.

Dixie Kong: Give Diddy Kong a pony tail and pink clothes then you get Dixie. Maybe make her a better camper than Diddy with different moves.

+1/2
Waluigi: I watched marioking64ds videos and he looked viable and fun.

Skull Kid: He's awesome and could be really cool, but seems like a lot of work.

Dark Samus: I would prefer Ridley, but if Ridley doesnt make it then Damus is good too.

Krystal: Like Skull Kid, she would be interesting, but a lot of work.

Isaac: I've never seen or played any of his games, but he seems really intersting.

Toad: He would be a useless character who doesn't bring much that represents his franchise.

Pichu: The only reason people want Pichu is because he was in melee and that if someone loses to pichu they would be embarrassed

Pokemon Trainer: They separated him up for a reason and there are already so many pokemon.

King K. Rool: If he was put in the game he would just be another big character who barely anyone uses and would just have the same recycled moves from DK, Bowser, D3, Charizard, and Ganon.

Black Shadow and Ganondorf: The only people that want Ganon to have a sword are TLoZ fans. Smash players who are focused on smash will just be angry that they have to play as this Captain Falcon rip-off

Tom Nook: There's no point in adding an animal crossing character unless it's villager and since that can't happen there shouldn't be Tom Nook.

Sukapon: He is really weird and doesnt fit in with the rest of the cast. No one really knows him and I and probably others will stop playing Project M if they include a bad character like him.
I must say, I agree with your +1 votes, they all would definitely be the easiest and perhaps the most satisfying of any straight clone characters the PMBR decides to make.
That reason alone is probably enough for them to incorporate most of those +1 characters, if not all of them.

And now I'm thinking if some potential B-moves for a Ninten moveset.

Up-B: 4th-D Slip, which I'm sure is considered a must-have Signature move for Ninten. Allows him to teleport like Mewtwo.

Down-B: PSI Shield, which I guess could function like Ness' PSI Magnet, but reflects projectiles instead of absorbing them.

Neutral-B: either QuickUp or LifeUp. QuickUp being able to function like Lucas' Offense Up in animations and giving Ninten a speed boost to his attacks, which could make his combo game amazing.. Or LifeUp, which heals Ninten like Ivysaur's Solar Beam charge.

Finally, his Side-B should really be Lucas's old PK Fire.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I must say, I agree with your +1 votes, they all would definitely be the easiest and perhaps the most satisfying of any straight clone characters the PMBR decides to make.
That reason alone is probably enough for them to incorporate most of those +1 characters, if not all of them.

And now I'm thinking if some potential B-moves for a Ninten moveset.

Up-B: 4th-D Slip, which I'm sure is considered a must-have Signature move for Ninten. Allows him to teleport like Mewtwo.

Down-B: PSI Shield, which I guess could function like Ness' PSI Magnet, but reflects projectiles instead of absorbing them.

Neutral-B: either QuickUp or LifeUp. QuickUp being able to function like Lucas' Offense Up in animations and giving Ninten a speed boost to his attacks, which could make his combo game amazing.. Or LifeUp, which heals Ninten like Ivysaur's Solar Beam charge.

Finally, his Side-B should really be Lucas's old PK Fire.
That's pretty similar to what I envisioned for him, although I'm thinking his Side-B would be better served as PK Beam, since it's an attack exclusive from his game and Ness already uses PK Fire, and I also thought he could use a special that inflicts status on another character. (Like PSI Hypnosis could inflict sleep, for instance). 4th-D Slip and QuickUp, I agree with completely.

As for the shield, I'd be fine with that as well if we're going for a version who's going to be more cloney.

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
That's pretty similar to what I envisioned for him, although I'm thinking his Side-B would be better served as PK Beam, since it's an attack exclusive from his game and Ness already uses PK Fire, and I also thought he could use a special that inflicts status on another character. (Like PSI Hypnosis could inflict sleep, for instance). 4th-D Slip and QuickUp, I agree with completely.

As for the shield, I'd be fine with that as well if we're going for a version who's going to be more cloney.
I just read up what PK Beam does. Yeah that would definitely be a better move. If it's like the lowest level. There's one level where it says it Insta-kills 1enemy.
Maybe if they just used the old PK Fire with some sort of special effect similar to the in-game PK Beam effect, it could be passed off as what the move looks like being cast.

I was thinking PSI Hypnosis would be pretty cool, but it would be pretty OP if you just approached somebody, put them to sleep, and F-Smashed them. Plus, if Ninten had LifeUp, you could just put someone to sleep and heal yourself on the other side of the map.

And finally, just being able to stun somebody, AND being able to teleport is kinda treading on Mewtwo's playstyle.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I just read up what PK Beam does. Yeah that would definitely be a better move. If it's like the lowest level. There's one level where it says it Insta-kills 1enemy.
Maybe if they just used the old PK Fire with some sort of special effect similar to the in-game PK Beam effect, it could be passed off as what the move looks like being cast.

I was thinking PSI Hypnosis would be pretty cool, but it would be pretty OP if you just approached somebody, put them to sleep, and F-Smashed them. Plus, if Ninten had LifeUp, you could just put someone to sleep and heal yourself on the other side of the map.

And finally, just being able to stun somebody, AND being able to teleport is kinda treading on Mewtwo's playstyle.
I was thinking more along the lines of Jigglypuff's Sing, but with the ability to charge it to increase range. It's not too OP with her (and, in fact, isn't used much if I understand how she's used correctly). And Ninten doesn't need LifeUp. I actually prefer the QuickUp idea.

I actually had an idea for 4th-D Slip that would make it more like Black Mage's Warp from SSF2. Basically, he jumps into a portal that the player can then move around the stage for a short time before he jumps back out of it. It's in my full Ninten moveset in my sig if you want to check it out.
I'll bite. Who is it?
Dr. Andonuts. He's in Earthbound and Mother 3. Also debatably Mr. Saturn since we don't know if they might be the same ones or how long they live...

Edit: Ninja'd on this part :p

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I was thinking more along the lines of Jigglypuff's Sing, but with the ability to charge it to increase range. And Ninten doesn't need LifeUp. I actually prefer the QuickUp idea.

I actually had an idea for 4th-D Slip that would make it more like Black Mage's Warp from SSF2. Basically, he jumps into a portal that the player can then move around the stage for a short time before he jumps back out of it. It's in my full Ninten moveset in my sig if you want to check it out.

Dr. Andonuts. He's in Earthbound and Mother 3. Also debatably Mr. Saturn since we don't know if they might be the same ones or how long they live...

Edit: Ninja'd on this part :p
Hmm. The fact that putting people to sleep isnt very offensive is kind of a turnoff.. But the idea might grow on me. PSI Shield is basically the Spacie's reflector, so maybe basing a move on a character like Jiggs' Singing is pretty original. Maybe it could even be used more effectively than Singing.

And wow, your idea of a 4th-D Slip sounds ****ing cool. But if it was like that, how would Ninten recover?

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Hmm. The fact that putting people to sleep isnt very offensive is kind of a turnoff.. But the idea might grow on me. PSI Shield is basically the Spacie's reflector, so maybe basing a move on a character like Jiggs' Singing is pretty original. Maybe it could even be used more effectively than Singing.

And wow, your idea of a 4th-D Slip sounds ****ing cool. But if it was like that, how would Ninten recover?
BY MOVIN HIS TELEPORTATION BALL OF JUSTICE TO THE STAGE.

Shin F.

Smash Master

BY MOVIN HIS TELEPORTATION BALL OF JUSTICE TO THE STAGE.
Haha, basically this. Ninten jumps into the portal, right? The portal shrinks down in size (or stays the same, it doesn't matter), and the player can move it freely around the stage. Wherever it is when the time limit on the portal (just a few seconds) runs out, that's where Ninten jumps out from. Or they could jump out of it early for more strategic recoveries. So if he's knocked off stage, he jumps into the portal, moves it over the stage, then jumps out of it.

Last edited:

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman

There are three characters with disabling moves, Jigglypuff has Sing, Mewtwo has Disable, and ZZS has the Paralyzer. Giving Ninten a disable move is definitely a possibility, could either be sleep with Hypnosis or disable with Brainshock or something.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Haha, basically this. Ninten jumps into the portal, right? The portal shrinks down in size, and the player can move it freely around the stage. Wherever it is when the time limit on the portal (just a few seconds) runs out, that's where Ninten jumps out from. Or they could jump out of it early for more strategic recoveries.

So its like PK Thunder.. Except you ARE the ball..

Shin F.

Smash Master
There are three characters with disabling moves, Jigglypuff has Sing, Mewtwo has Disable, and ZZS has the Paralyzer. Giving Ninten a disable move is definitely a possibility, could either be sleep with Hypnosis or disable with Brainshock or something.
I just had the most horribly evil idea - what if he had Brainshock as a way to force tripping?

So its like PK Thunder.. Except you ARE the ball..
I guess that's one way of looking at it, yeah! But it wouldn't have any hitboxes on it and wouldn't be as vulnerable to gimping as PKT is, since it can't be intercepted as easily.

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Well it definitely sounds cooler than just teleporting. It could also play on the QuickUp move, you could go faster when you're charged, thus going further than you normally would when it's uncharged.
EDIT: Actually giving some more thought into this move, it could still use original animations, such as Psykids PK Thunder.

The ball that Ninten falls into could be the same as the Thunder ball, but instead of electricity all over it, the same Blinking effects from when the Psykids double jump trail behind it. But they're much smaller than those effects, and grow in size as 4th-D Slip comes close to ending.
The ball would also be more whitish-purple than just blue.

Ninten could rocket out of the 4th dimension (similar to Psykids rocketing after PKT) on Smashing the C-stick at the very end of 4-DS. This would ensure Ninten can have a decent recovery, AND a surprise attack.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Well for Pichu, Pichu was just a worse clone of pikachu and at least with my friends and the competitive players who play, pichu was only used when the person playing him thought they were way better than the other player.
I mean, let's be real, Pichu is only ever used to troll in Melee. If you wanted to seriously play Pichu, you played Pikachu.
I exist solely to counter those arguments.

My Pichu was and still is better than my Pikachu in melee to this day.
As Pichu is technically my secondary character, I'm more likely to win with Pichu than I am with the majority of the cast.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Hey guys, before I forget I reached out to Warchamp about Arc's demo eligibility, and he asked me what characters we were thinking of.

I mentioned Giygas and Medusa off the top of my head. But if there's anyone else noteworthy let me know and I'll tell him.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Hey guys, before I forget I reached out to Warchamp about Arc's demo eligibility, and he asked me what characters we were thinking of.

I mentioned Giygas and Medusa off the top of my head. But if there's anyone else noteworthy let me know and I'll tell him.
Impa is another big one.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
How could you forget

Some characters are too good to be included. CuBlu. Deku lives on in our hearts...

Honest to god though can you imagine his competitive play? It'd be like trying to fight the stage.
I would propose a moveset where he's in the background like PokeTrainer and every single input causes deku seed to fall onto the stage. But they have a 12% success rate, making for an extremely poor, frustrating projectile game.

So what did he say?
Nothing yet. He read it and left. :sadeyes: He's a busy guy though. So either he didn't have time, is consulting with fellow PMBR, or doesn't give a **** and I'm a wet sandwich.

Last edited:

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
I got an awesome idea for a move and i feel like it could serve Ninten well but i don't know if there's a move like it in the actual game to base it off of.

The move would be like a dispel and could be mapped to down B. Basically Ninten creates a radius around him like gardevoir did in brawl and any projectile inside the radius is destroyed as opposed to being reflected. The projectiles wouldn't cause harm to ninten but to other characters. If you hold B, the radius size increases but it doesn't activate until you release. Once released, the radius would slowly shrink until it is nothing more. Holding down B while the radius' AOE is still up will just allow you to charge it. It wouldn't be cancellable at all (no jc or land canceling), but once the radius is up Ninten could fight as he normally would with the radius around him. The move would in no way affect attacks or other characters. All it does is destroys projectiles when they come in contact with it. The move starts with a radius size of about jigglypuff's sing and ends with a size of about bowser's body.

Even if Ninten can't get something like this I feel like this kind of move would be good to make people who spam projectiles rethink their approaches or possibly even entire gameplay style. This to me is what the shine was intended to be used for and giving someone a move like this could possibly give them an advantage over the majority of the cast. Rookie Falco's, Link and Samus players would definitely struggle against a character who had this.

/trainofthought

that was really off topic....

*insert a funny gif here*

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
So what did he say?
I got an awesome idea for a move and i feel like it could serve Ninten well but i don't know if there's a move like it in the actual game to base it off of.

The move would be like a dispel and could be mapped to down B. Basically Ninten creates a radius around him like gardevoir did in brawl and any projectile inside the radius is destroyed as opposed to being reflected. The projectiles wouldn't cause harm to ninten but to other characters. If you hold B, the radius size increases but it doesn't activate until you release. Once released, the radius would slowly shrink until it is nothing more. Holding down B while the radius' AOE is still up will just allow you to charge it. It wouldn't be cancellable at all (no jc or land canceling), but once the radius is up Ninten could fight as he normally would with the radius around him. The move would in no way affect attacks or other characters. All it does is destroys projectiles when they come in contact with it. The move starts with a radius size of about jigglypuff's sing and ends with a size of about bowser's body.

Even if Ninten can't get something like this I feel like this kind of move would be good to make people who spam projectiles rethink their approaches or possibly even entire gameplay style. This to me is what the shine was intended to be used for and giving someone a move like this could possibly give them an advantage over the majority of the cast. Rookie Falco's, Link and Samus players would definitely struggle against a character who had this.

/trainofthought

A little weed killer for Peach's turnips, eh? I like it.

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
Some characters are too good to be included. CuBlu. Deku lives on in our hearts...

Honest to god though can you imagine his competitive play? It'd be like trying to fight the stage.
I would propose a moveset where he's in the background like PokeTrainer and every single input causes deku seed to fall onto the stage. But they have a 12% success rate, making for an extremely poor, frustrating projectile game.
I sort of imagined him to just sprout from the center of the stage and was able to move his roots and branches around to attack enemies. When he reached about 200%, however, he would be uprooted and be able to be actually hit off the stage and KOed.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
A little weed killer for Peach's turnips, eh? I like it.
Well not only that but it would shut down every projectile in the game.

No more bacon, tranqs, fireballs, rangs, bombs, arrows, plasma shots, gordos, missiles, mines, nuts, bananas, vines, stun spores, lasers, aura bombs, thunder jolts, gyro's, needles, rocketbarrels, waddle dee's and doos', fire, water, grenades, c4, pikmin, stitch faces, paralyzer shots, glaciers, din's fires', eggs or PK anything.

PMBR Pls...

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Well not only that but it would shut down every projectile in the game.

No more bacon, tranqs, fireballs, rangs, bombs, arrows, plasma shots, missiles, mines, nuts, bananas, vines, stun spores, lasers, aura bombs, thunder jolts, gyro's, needles, rocketbarrels, fire, water, grenades, c4, pikmin, paralyzer shots, glaciers, din's fires', eggs or PK anything.

PMBR Pls...
I gotcha. I just picked turnips.

Why?

Because fu*ck turnips. Thats why.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord

/trainofthought

That move you described would basically be PSI Shield. That's way more intuitive than my idea for his PSI Shield, which was basically a Space reflector.
I like the concept but in order for it to be balanced, it should lose charge pretty fast. Like, it should shrink completely in a second and a half at least when first activated, and in about 2 and a half seconds maybe when fully charged.
The bright side is if it kept shrinking, QuickUp charging it would fully recharge it in half the time it normally takes to fully charge.

Shin F.

Smash Master
That move you described would basically be PSI Shield. That's way more intuitive than my idea for his PSI Shield, which was basically a Space reflector.
I like the concept but in order for it to be balanced, it should lose charge pretty fast. Like, it should shrink completely in a second and a half at least when first activated, and in about 2 and a half seconds maybe when fully charged.
The bright side is if it kept shrinking, QuickUp charging it would fully recharge it in half the time it normally takes to fully charge.
I'm thinking QuickUp should only work on normal attacks and movement to keep it from being too OP. Or maybe it should give him a few seconds of Turbo Mode. Basically, a temporary OHC.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I've always wanted an anti-projectile move that teleported the captured item. But it sent it add a random time. So, for instance, if you use the move to stop one of those damned turnips, people would go crazy knowing that at any given second a turnip could fly out of nowhere.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I've always wanted an anti-projectile move that teleported the captured item. But it sent it add a random time. So, for instance, if you use the move to stop one of those damned turnips, people would go crazy knowing that at any given second a turnip could fly out of nowhere.
Now, that's probably impossible to program.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I'm thinking QuickUp should only work on normal attacks and movement to keep it from being too OP. Or maybe it should give him a few seconds of Turbo Mode.
That'd be cool. I actually hadn't known Turbo was accessible in normal versus until the other day. My friend who mains DeDeDe pulled out a Turbo power up and pwned me. I didn't see it coming.

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I'm thinking QuickUp should only work on normal attacks and movement to keep it from being too OP. Or maybe it should give him a few seconds of Turbo Mode.
Maybe you're right. Lucas' OffenseUp only affects his Smash attacks, we are talking about a move that's supposed to increase speed in general. That's pretty powerful as it is.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704

I could see Junior playing in a variety of ways. I'm not sure how much limitations this engine has, but you could go quite a few different ways with him:

- Small / Faster Bowser Clone
- Paint / Paintbrush
- Clown Car / Bombs / Non-Sunshine based references

All of which I would be content with

I see Dixie as the Queen of throws. I have a moveset made up for her actually:

^B Hair-copter: On the ground it works similar to Ice Climber’s spin attack, only lasts a little longer, and moves quicker. It is however, slightly weaker as well. In air the move is a useful gliding tool.

B Chewing Gum: Hold down B, and Dixie will begin to blow a bubble. The longer you hold it, the bigger the bubble gets, but if you hold it too long it will EXPLODE in your face and cause you damage. When you release it it slowly floats across the stage, acting as a moving bomb, one touch and BOOM! You can use it’s slow moving properties to your advantage and aim to knock your opponent into it, if you’re cool.

B> Hair Grab: Dixie whips her Ponytail forward for an extra long reaching grab. If the opponent is too close to you however, it will simply act as a normal attack, and just hit them. So it can be used as a hair slap, or a hair grab. YOU DECIDE!

VB Barrel throw: Dixie puts her long blonde ponytail to work, and throws a barrel forward. Depending on how long you charge B, you could get a wooden barrel (Just rolls normally) a metal barrel (Bounces, but moves slower), or a TNT Barrel (Explodes when it comes in contact with something/someone, but moves the slowest)

Ridley just seems like a no brainier choice to me. People want him, and it looks like they may not get him in Smash 4.

Krystal using a staff physical based A moveset and then weilding the staff's Fire/Ice/Quake/Rocket abilities for the B moves would be ideal.

Lastly Tom Nook. I feel he should have been the Smash 4 AC choice, but Villager took that spot. Now he has his place he could shine.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Tomorrow and Wednesday should be great, we'd be able to know a few more characters who aren't playable in Sm4sh but are eligible for PM via possible assist trophy reveals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom