• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLippyLapras

Smash Journeyman
Sitting on a chair, letting my eyes burn.
Ok so let me preface what I'm about to say by saying that before i googled him, i had no idea who Daroach was. Not only that, but i wasn't sure if i should read your moveset or wait until later. Well...It was worth the read.

The Good: Fairly creative for a Dedede clone. In fact i think your the first person I've seen make a clone suggestion based off of dedede. Kudos to you for that from me. I really like the side special. The ability to teleport and leave something in place of you seems extremely useful and it makes good use of the projectile linked to D3's side special. I also like the grabs. I don't know if this was your intention but the way you described it kinda reminded me of mewtwo's back throw except he just doesn't give af where the character goes which seemed really cool. The second taunt is creative and i think is a nice feature to complement his personality. I also really REALLY like how you provided moves and the occasional picture/video for comparison. I had done it myself previously but i had no idea how much clearer they define a character.

The Not So Good: Well...This you can't really control but i think strictly speaking of the Kirby series, Daroach isn't next in line for a spot. Also....something is missing to me...Personally i would like to see some kind of gimmick or something unique going for the character and here i see....not too much. I'm assuming he has multiple jumps so that's something but other than that he really doesn't have anything special to bring to the table. If it were me, based on the moveset you provided, i would give him a really strong float. I understand this would make his recovery insane especially if he can jump out of the first teleport but i think it's just what his moveset needs. Perhaps make it so his float only carries him vertically? That in conjunction with his forward air and teleport special move would create some serious zoning opportunities. That float, teleport and multijump would need to be kept in check though. I would say make it so he's only allowed 2 teleports, 1 float out of a teleport or jump or 4 jumps by themself. That's just my opinion though.

Overall a solid moveset. Brought some interest to a character i never thought i could see in smash but it lacked an interesting gimmick and was with a character who isn't the next best choice.
7/10 would play friendlies with.
I was simply putting in the move set, however, I'll put various mechanic stuffs in the post.

TheLippyLapras

Smash Journeyman
Sitting on a chair, letting my eyes burn.
Absolutely flawless, cannot find a single thing to nitpick about or improve upon. Just by visualizing your moveset I have one question though. Regarding Daroach's specials, since majority of them are teleport based. will the opponent be able to anticipate which special is being used? I would think that the answer is no since this is a trick based character but it wasn't specified.
The specials are actually based upon the moves that he uses in Kirby: Squeak Squad, the teleport of course is like a slow fade out, the neautral b he would hold the triple star in the air above him, side b would be the same deal as the up b, so it would make you guess which was being used. Also like the down b.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Flint is one of the few characters I absolutely do not support from the series in any way, shape or form. It would be super awkward to have father vs son fights between Flint and Lucas.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I know I may be a little late to the party, but I just figured out that Pichu got added to Brawl-. I think this is cause for extreme measures. I personally hate Brawl-, and in order to please the (surprisingly) massive amounts of Pichu fans who like Project M,they NEEEEEDDD to add Pichu to Project M, so that we won't lose our place as #1 most popular Brawl mod to those, those, those... MINUSERS!!!! (Note: I don't like Pichu that much {but that's just my opinion}, but I like Project M, and would be fine if Pichu were added. He could be interesting.)(Note 2: Don't take this the wrong way, I have nothing against Pichu and have no problem with people who like him.)

Last edited:

ElGoombaswag

Hououin Kyoma
NNID
cdoggfuentes
I know I may be a little late to the party, but I just figured out that Pichu got added to Brawl-. I think this is cause for extreme measures. I personally hate Brawl-, and in order to please the (surprisingly) massive amounts of Pichu fans who like Project M,they NEEEEEDDD to add Pichu to Project M, so that we won't lose our place as #1 most popular Brawl mod to those, those, those... MINUSERS!!!! (Note: I don't like Pichu that much {but that's just my opinion}, but I like Project M, and would be fine if Pichu were added. He could be interesting.)(Note 2: Don't take this the wrong way, I have nothing against Pichu and have no problem with people who like him.)
it may happen

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I wouldn't worry about Brawl- overshadowing Project M.

We don't need Pichu to compete.

Not that I wouldn't mind if we had Pichu, that is. Just he isn't NEEDED like you say.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Flint is one of the few characters I absolutely do not support from the series in any way, shape or form. It would be super awkward to have father vs son fights between Flint and Lucas.
Why? There are several games that are more violent than smash that have fathers and sons fight. Really, your argument seems weak because it's not really any better when Lucas takes Ganon's elbow or Martha's sword to the face.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Why? There are several games that are more violent than smash that have fathers and sons fight. Really, your argument seems weak because it's not really any better when Lucas takes Ganon's elbow or Martha's sword to the face.
Whoa-hoa-hoa-HOA there, little guy!

You seem to have a very high desire to see father-son abuse!

I think you should look into that :troll:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Whoa-hoa-hoa-HOA there, little guy!

You seem to have a very high desire to see father-son abuse!

I think you should look into that :troll:
Maybe you should go look at all the other games/media that have father son fights. (i.e, FFX, Tekken)

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
I can agree with not supporting Flint, and not due to the whole father/son thing. Mother 3 really only included Flint in the first chapter, after that, he pretty much disappears from the story as a playable character. I really don't see dedicating an entire slot to a character that was only playable in 1/10th of his game, plus he really does not bring anything to the table that cannot be easily provided by any other character.

Don't get me wrong, Flint is badass, but his fighting style is all about smacking enemies with a 2 x 4, I don't really see, nor do I want to see, a moveset dedicated to just that. You'd really have to scrimp for a moveset there. Heck, if we really wanted a Mother 3 rep who wasn't Masked Man so badly, what's wrong with Duster? Granted the chances of him making the cut are about the same as Flint, but Duster is also badass, is playable almost the entire storyline, and I could see some awesome moves being devised using his bombs and thief skills.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Because I don't want to see what can be construed as child abuse in a Smash game, and Nintendo sure as hell wouldn't, either. When you've got a game where a father can smack around his 12-year-old son with a 2x4, you've got a big ****ing problem.
Maybe you should go look at all the other games/media that have father son fights. (i.e, FFX, Tekken)
The difference here is that Tidus and Kazuya are independent adults or close to it. When you have them fight Jecht and Heihachi, it's a fight between equals. Flint is still an authority figure to Lucas because he's a child. There's a world of difference in the details, here.

Last edited:

SmashBrosPM

Smash Cadet
Here's one very important thing to consider: when choosing a character for the last slots, it's not just about what you want (which is what this poll shows), it's also what is easiest for the PMBR. You basically don't like the concept of a clone character (and as DatDolphin pointed out, we already have quite a few already), but here are some key one points about clones:

1. The PMBR is not Sakurai. They don't have god powers that create characters from scratch. Many of these characters, like Isaac, are presented as if they were to be from scratch. There are many, many limitations. Clone characters do not have these limitations.

2. Animations: These are probably the most time-consuming thing. New characters will need a ton of time for new animations. Clone characters reuse animations. Maybe a few moves or walking/running animations can be edited, but not the whole character. Huge burden reduced.

3. Movesets: There are actually TWO factors with movesets: 1) Coming up with one -- which again, is minimized with clone characters -- you just change parameters and change 1-2 few moves. 2) Balance. People are familiar with these movesets that have been used for years. Creating a new one from scratch not only takes a lot of time to create, but it may take even longer to balance. If a moveset is based on an old one, balance will still need a lot of time, but considerably less compared to a novel moveset.

With so many restraints, the PMBR will undoubtedly have clone characters. They even said that's ideal in their post. Maybe even all the new characters would be clones.

So maybe you don't like Dark Samus, but when we have to choose characters that are clones, she is one of the better choices. The fact that the character can be implemented AS one is may seem like a big con for you, but it's a tremendous pro to the PMBR.
I totally agree with you! I actually worked Into some modding project and actually people seems to not understand how It's hard to make Something that isn't in the game (mainly because of the animations).

That's Why I +1Voted 3 clones (Dixie Dong, Dark Samus and Black Shadow) and only 2 VERY POPULAR AND CORRECT CHARACTERS (Isaac and Ray).

So I think people should vote only for POTENTIAL CLONES... If So, I would add Toon Zelda (as a Zelda Clone) and another One but I don't know who (maybe Bowser Jr. As a clone of Bowser)

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Because I don't want to see what can be construed as child abuse in a Smash game, and Nintendo sure as hell wouldn't, either. When you've got a game where a father can smack around his 12-year-old son with a 2x4, you've got a big ****ing problem.

The difference here is that Tidus and Kazuya are independent adults or close to it. When you have them fight Jecht and Heihachi, it's a fight between equals. Flint is still an authority figure to Lucas because he's a child. There's a world of difference in the details, here.
You should consider the source material here. In all honesty, Lucas contends with things SEVERAL times more dangerous in his own game, yet you're saying it would be child abuse for him to fight his father, not to mention the fact that he already fights everyone else. By your reasoning, Lucas/Ness/any young character shouldn't be in smash at all, because it promotes child abuse. Maybe we should just give them the axe, and while we're at it remove all the Pokemon plus Sonic because it could be viewed as animal abuse?

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
You should consider the source material here. In all honesty, Lucas contends with things SEVERAL times more dangerous in his own game, yet you're saying it would be child abuse for him to fight his father, not to mention the fact that he already fights everyone else. By your reasoning, Lucas/Ness/any young character shouldn't be in smash at all, because it promotes child abuse. Maybe we should just give them the axe, and while we're at it remove all the Pokemon plus Sonic because it could be viewed as animal abuse?
I think you should take your own advice and consider the source material. Flint is only playable in roughly 1/10 of the entire game. Let's at least pick someone from the Mother series who is playable for more than 10 minutes. Ninten, Masked Man ... heck, Loid, Ana, Duster, Kumatora, Poo, Boney ...

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
You're putting words into my mouth. There's still a big difference between Lucas fighting some random dudes and fighting his father. I can see that there's no getting through to you, though, so I'll just flat out say it even though I didn't want to.

I personally know people who were abused growing up and who play Project M. Knowing them as well as I do, I can say that this kind of matchup would set them the **** off. If you want to play as Flint at the possible expense of others who play this game and have real first-hand experience with this ****, then I have nothing more to say to you. But if Project M included Flint, I would never play it again, even if he was removed.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
This thread should just be changed to "Earthbound Character Discussion Thread".
Fine by me.

If you've player Mother 3 you'd understand how emotional of a game it is. We're not talking about Darth Vadet taking on Luke. Flint and Lucas have a heartfelt story, watching them fight is just tainting the feels, bruh.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
What happens when they finally tell us that Meta knight is kirby's father?

And what about Bowser JR against Bowser? I haven't seen any anti talk against Bowser JR for that reason.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
You're putting words into my mouth. There's still a big difference between Lucas fighting some random dudes and fighting his father. I can see that there's no getting through to you, though, so I'll just flat out say it even though I didn't want to.

I personally know people who were abused growing up and who play Project M. Knowing them as well as I do, I can say that this kind of matchup would set them the **** off. If you want to play as Flint at the possible expense of others who play this game and have real first-hand experience with this ****, then I have nothing more to say to you. But if Project M included Flint, I would never play it again, even if he was removed.
Well that's your and those people's choice isint it? And if it's NOT okay for fathers to fight sons, why is Bowser Jr. even being considered? Or why is Masked Man/Claus being considered when they're brothers? What makes that any better?

In all honesty, I dont think Flint should be excluded because of the father/son ordeal when other games can essentially get away with it "because they're adults." Lucas proves to be just as capable as any adult in those games.

Shin F.

Smash Master
What happens when they finally tell us that Meta knight is kirby's father?

And what about Bowser JR against Bowser? I haven't seen any anti talk against Bowser JR for that reason.
Bowser Jr competes like this against Bowser all the time. Seeing Bowser vs Bowser Jr is nothing special. Seeing Flint vs Lucas is. It's all about context. Mother characters, especially Mother 3, have much deeper emotional depth than Mario characters do. Unlike Bowser Jr, Lucas has had hallucinations of his father threatening to beat him in-game. There are different degrees between these two series that make the situations very different.
Well that's your and those people's choice isint it? And if it's NOT okay for fathers to fight sons, why is Bowser Jr. even being considered? Or why is Masked Man/Claus being considered when they're brothers? What makes that any better?

In all honesty, I dont think Flint should be excluded because of the father/son ordeal when other games can essentially get away with it "because they're adults." Lucas proves to be just as capable as any adult in those games.
It's not because they're adults, it's because they are equals. And siblings fight one another all the time. Seeing two brothers duke it out is nothing special. Seeing someone who typically has authority and power over another person fighting them is. You're failing to see that there are different degrees in situations like this.

Edit: I won't be able to respond for a while since I'm going to be out of the house. I've got nothing more to add, anyways, though.

Last edited:

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman

Look, I'm sorry if this is a touchy subject for you, but you're really projecting here. You make it sound like Flint as a Smash character would smack Lucas with his 2x4 and Lucas would start crying. The style of the game is meant to be good-natured cartoony.

Based on your argument, we should remove Luigi because Mario is smacking around his brother, and worse, we need to remove Peach because Mario is punching his girlfriend. I am not trying to make light of are issues with Flint vs. Lucas, but I think you're personally putting more into it than would be there. It's a fighting game with imaginary characters.

That said, I still don't approve of Flint, he's a bad choice in comparison to the many other Mother main characters that are available.

GeZ

Smash Lord
This conversation is dumb. Child abuse is bad. But it's not, not child abuse just because it's not Lucas's dad doing it. It's child abuse when most members of the cast beat on the earthbound kids. We don't need moral police and baby proofing for project M.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Bowser Jr competes like this against Bowser all the time. Seeing Bowser vs Bowser Jr is nothing special. Seeing Flint vs Lucas is. It's all about context. Mother characters, especially Mother 3, have much deeper emotional depth than Mario characters do. Unlike Bowser Jr, Lucas has had hallucinations of his father threatening to beat him in-game. There are different degrees between these two series that make the situations very different.

It's not because they're adults, it's because they are equals. And siblings fight one another all the time. Seeing two brothers duke it out is nothing special. Seeing someone who typically has authority and power over another person fighting them is. You're failing to see that there are different degrees in situations like this.

Edit: I won't be able to respond for a while since I'm going to be out of the house. I've got nothing more to add, anyways, though.
Erm, I dont know what game you were playing, but Bowserand Bowser Jr. never get into a fight. Competing against one another in sports is not fighting.

And I think your missing a major point of Mother 3 if you dont view Flint and Lucas as equals, as a majority of the game is Lucas growing up and becoming his own man. (Even if he is only 12.) Really all the fathers in the other games hold this power and authority you speak of, but that doesnt stop them from being included.
That said, I still don't approve of Flint, he's a bad choice in comparison to the many other Mother main characters that are available.
#Boney4P:M. #NewAgeRetroHippie4P:M

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
I would definitely prefer Claus over Flint as an Earthbound representative...
But statements like this are just ridiculous. Nintendo makes games where you can force your son off a road into a pool of lava, knocking your son offstage is no different. Frankly, you're being very picky when it comes to what should be considered offensive and what shouldn't, it's not fair to say that father-son violence is any worse than brother-brother or male-female violence.

But with all that aside, you need to look at the context all of this is happening in: a fighting game. "It's all about context."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom