• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
It's painful to me whenever someone dismisses her just because she's not the main character. She's been in just as many games and is just as an important character as Andy. She also has a better personality to boot.
But she doesn't have a giant wrench.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
That's what we have REGULAR Smash Bros. for. Let's let Sakurai give us the characters we don't want, and let The PMBR give us the characters we actually do, mkay?
That's not really fair to Sakurai
Sure every Smash game up until now was pretty much staple Nintendo characters and a bunch of semi-obscure Nintendo cousins, but Smash 4 seems to be bringing in some fan-favorites, like Villager, Megaman, Little Mac, and Rosalina.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
WARCHAMP WAS VIEWING THE THREAD LOCK YOUR FRONT DOORS, SHUT THE BLINDS, AND HIDE YO KIDS, CUZ THEY BANNIN ERRYBODY OUT HEA.

In all seriousness we should stop talking about leaks probably.

Last edited:

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
We shouldn't talk too much about leaks. I remember the PMBR not liking it.

While I'm always happy to see my suggestions getting support, I want to make sure you like the character first. I played a lot of "obscure" retro games when I was younger like Ice Climber, Devil World, Balloon Fight, Excitebike, etc. That's why I end up gravitating towards characters from those games and characters from that era due to my familiarity with them.
I'm not trying to deter you from voting, because like I said, I love seeing support. I just don't want you to feel like you have to support if you really feel indifferent.
Personally, I would like the clone engine characters to be unique in terms of originality, playstyle, and design. I didn't grow up playing retro Nintendo games so I'm not aware of certain games but that doesn't mean I shouldn't give them a chance. Ice Climbers, for example, I knew nothing about that game and when they were introduced in Melee I never personally cared for the character(s) but once I played as them and watched how people could be creative with the character(s) I started to enjoy their inclusion in Smash. Ultimately, I don't know a lot about retro games but I feel they deserve a chance to at least be considered as a potential character slot which is why I enjoy it when people educate me about obscure characters...I welcome it :)

We need more characters from obscure games, like Captain Rainbow.
I completely agree. I would prefer that an obscure character should receive at least one character slot. Any more and I would assume there will be a lot of negative feedback from the community, but that's the world we live in, there will be someone hating on something.

WARCHAMP WAS VIEWING THE THREAD LOCK YOUR FRONT DOORS, SHUT THE BLINDS, AND HIDE YO KIDS, CUZ THEY BANNIN ERRYBODY OUT HEA.

In all seriousness we should stop talking about leaks probably.
Noted. I probably should've read the rules before signing up. I'll remember this in future smashboards posts :p

Last edited:

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
I wanted to throw this idea out, a friend of mine wanted to see Pichu added to the game but with a bit of a rework. Now I don't particularly want another Pokemon character but perhaps this is a suggestion for how he could be different.

Instead of simply hurting himself with each attack, why not allow the option to amp up his attacks with an overcharge at the cost of hurting himself? This may mean a powered up version could be faster/do more damage/different hit reaction like meteor etc. Last stock and he could kill with just the right amount of damage? Or they have a stock lead and at a high enough percentage where they would die if hit anyway they may aswell use an overcharged attack to try get as much damage or kamikaze the opponent. Let him overcharge his smash attack by tapping B during it's startup. Or if he needs to overcharge his B moves let him power up by tapping A during it's startup. So long as the boost happens during the startup it means the move has a bit of commitment and people could just spam the safest move he has and then amp it up when they feel like it.

I have always thought the idea of a character who can have devastating attack options at the cost of self harm being pretty interesting, sortof like how the Dark Knights work in various Final Fantasy games mixed with having the option of EX moves in Street Fighter by using meter (only in this case you're choosing to take percentage).

As I said I'm not really wanting more Pokemon especially Pichu but hell even if you're looking for ideas for another character maybe try this. Like Ridley fights pretty recklessly because he's so instinctive and ferocious, perhaps he could amp up the damage of his moves where he slams into the opponent harder by tapping the altering attack button. Or perhaps for Ray Mk II it would be a reference to overcharging laser attacks limiting other options and such from Custom Chibi Robo. I could see this style working with a few characters to allow them a little more move variety and a unique risk/reward no other character if they choose to use it.
I had actually come up with a pichu moveset but didn't decide to post it and part of it had this idea but as a special move. I'd support this for pichu.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
People keep saying that at least one slot should go to an obscure character.

Why not Skapon?

Back me up, Cubelarooso.

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
People keep saying that at least one slot should go to an obscure character.

Why not Skapon?

Back me up, Cubelarooso.
In terms of obscure characters he would be my favorite choice in terms of design, but since I am limited with 5 +1 votes I gave Sukapon/Skapon a 1/2 vote. I'm sure if the PMBR is thinking of an obscure character, Sukapon/Skapon would be a top contender :)

Last edited:

Soupenomics

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-6913-7316
Is Ray considered obscure? If so, I'd prefer him as an obscure character. Nothing against Sukapon, I just think Ray is the much more bad ass robot of the two.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Is Ray considered obscure? If so, I'd prefer him as an obscure character. Nothing against Sukapon, I just think Ray is the much more bad *** robot of the two.
While certainly not that well known, I don't think it counts as an "obscure" character.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I'm not knocking any of the others, I voted for most of them but Skapon is the only one I gave a full vote to.

I'd also be fine with Ray or Saki for "obscure" characters.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
People talk as if Ray and Sukapon are mutually exclusive.
This makes me sad, as they are 2 of the best choices.

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
Is Ray considered obscure? If so, I'd prefer him as an obscure character. Nothing against Sukapon, I just think Ray is the much more bad *** robot of the two.
I agree that some people will find Ray obscure but my reasoning in why he isn't obscure is due to the fact that he was introduced as a Melee trophy (more of chance of being known) as opposed to Sukapon who was just introduced in Brawl.

People talk as if Ray and Sukapon are mutually exclusive.
This makes me sad, as they are 2 of the best choices.
By design alone I can agree that Ray and Sukapon can have truly diverse move sets than say Lyn for example. However, I do feel that character familiarity plays a huge factor in choosing a clone engine character. If there were more character slots I would be all for both but given the circumstances I would be grateful if even one of them makes the cut.

Last edited:

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Curious ... after taking another look at Kid Icarus: Uprising I am wondering ... are characters like Medusa and Hades strictly off-limits? I mean, to be fair Medusa and Hades are free domain at this point, does Nintendo really have any character copyright claim on them? Might be a dumb question, but I am just curious since these awesome characters are, of course, based on millennia-old myths.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Curious ... after taking another look at Kid Icarus: Uprising I am wondering ... are characters like Medusa and Hades strictly off-limits? I mean, to be fair Medusa and Hades are free domain at this point, does Nintendo really have any character copyright claim on them? Might be a dumb question, but I am just curious since these awesome characters are, of course, based on millennia-old myths.
Doesn't matter what they're based on - Nintendo still owns those particular depictions of those characters, which clearly have several differences from the originals. It's the same as if someone tried to use Marvel's version of Thor. Even though the original myth is public domain, their depiction of the character is not.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Doesn't matter what they're based on - Nintendo still owns those particular depictions of those characters, which clearly have several differences from the originals. It's the same as if someone tried to use Marvel's version of Thor. Even though the original myth is public domain, their depiction of the character is not.
This.

Palutena, however, is up for grabs if Sm4sh doesn't use her.

But believe me, Sm4sh is gonna use her so dont hold out hope for that.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
This.

Palutena, however, is up for grabs if Sm4sh doesn't use her.

But believe me, Sm4sh is gonna use her so dont hold out hope for that.
I would hope Sm4sh would use her, and to get off-topic for just a moment, I would hope Hades would be included as well, more villains! Give Ganondorf someone manly to wreak havoc with!

And as for the character thing, yeah I expected that to be the answer, but I wanted to ask and be sure.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
WAIT
Can't we have Medusa tho?
She appears in the original Kid Icarus
guess what game is demo'd in Brawl
Kid Icarus
BOOM win

EDIT: This actually applies to Impa too holy hell am I on to something

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
WAIT
Can't we have Medusa tho?
She appears in the original Kid Icarus
guess what game is demo'd in Brawl
Kid Icarus
BOOM win

EDIT: This actually applies to Impa too holy hell am I on to something
The Japanese version had an Earthbound Masterpiece. That means Giygas is an option, now, too... (using his other appearance, of course :p)

Assuming that PMBR accepts the reasoning that the characters are technically there.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Are we serious here? Demo's count?

I would love for Medusa to be a character, honestly! She is such an absolutely awesome character in Uprising! The only thing that could be better is if there enough sound clips to keep Cree Summer's voice in the game!

Shin F.

Smash Master
Are we serious here? Demo's count?

I would love for Medusa to be a character, honestly! She is such an absolutely awesome character in Uprising! The only thing that could be better is if there enough sound clips to keep Cree Summer's voice in the game!
We don't know, but it would certainly open up some possibilities.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Is the discovery of the demos allowing for a previously ineligible character to be eligible a good enough reason for changing an up vote?.

Last edited:

ElGoombaswag

Hououin Kyoma
NNID
cdoggfuentes
In terms of obscure characters he would be my favorite choice in terms of design, but since I am limited with 5 +1 votes I gave Sukapon/Skapon a 1/2 vote. I'm sure if the PMBR is thinking of an obscure character, Sukapon/Skapon would be a top contender :)
sukapon would be a great idea, but what about a final smash?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Is the discovery of the demos allowing for a previously ineligible character to be eligible a good enough reason for changing an up vote?.
I really don't feel like any of the characters made eligible are very big contenders.

Also, you can't POSSIBLY get to Giygas or Medusa in the demos, so I think their eligibility is questionable.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Not yet, no. Not until PMBR says whether the Demos count or not. Until they do, I think we should act as if they don't count.
I really don't feel like any of the characters made eligible are very big contenders.

Also, you can't POSSIBLY get to Giygas or Medusa in the demos, so I think their eligibility is questionable.
You could. The demos have the entire game on it. Just use a quick code to have unlimited time, and you can get to them eventually. Besides that, there's no arguing the point that they do, in fact, exist in Brawl's data and can appear. I'm just not sure if the demos count as appearing in 'Brawl' since it's a game within a game.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Since the entire "appearing in Brawl" thing is to avoid copyright issues, I suppose them simply appearing in the data (but not actually the game itself without cheating) is good enough in this situation.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Giygas as a Mewtwo clone (he'd have to appear as Giegue, though, right?), Medusa as a Zelda clone, and Impa as a Sheik clone?

Color me disinterested. Though, if we WERE to get a new EB character (meh), I'd want it to be Giygas.

Last edited:

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Don't wanna make the Earthbounders riot, but would Giygas even count then? Earthbound is only in the Japanese version of Brawl, so he's not technically in the data for the US game? Or would that not matter?

Should we make a thread about the eligibility loophole? Or wait for a PMBR to come lurking?
Depends on how badly you want them to be eligible. If you want them to be eligible now so you can start making Giygas, Medusa, and Impa votes, I'd say make a new topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom