• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I am here to bring tidings of ANDY.

If Andy makes it into Project M, as I hope he does, I think it would be cool if he had a money mechanic where he spent money he earned while fighting to summon units, airstrikes, powered up attacks etc.
May make a more complete moveset.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I am here to bring tidings of ANDY.

If Andy makes it into Project M, as I hope he does, I think it would be cool if he had a money mechanic where he spent money he earned while fighting to summon units, airstrikes, powered up attacks etc.
May make a more complete moveset.
I think that may be a bit too complex, but I still want Andy so I can smack people around with a giant wrench.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I think that may be a bit too complex, but I still want Andy so I can smack people around with a giant wrench.
Andy has to be a summoning character. That is what he does.

Shin F.

Smash Master
What about it sounds excessively complicated? It's just like summoning, just somewhat restricted.
It'd be very original.
That's the problem. It's a bit too original. It would require a bit of code to track, add, and subtract the amount of money he has throughout the fight. That's not really as big a problem as having a way to display how much he has, though. I'm not sure it would be possible to add a UI element to show the player how much money they have.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
That's the problem. It's a bit too original. It would require a bit of code to track, add, and subtract the amount of money he has throughout the fight. That's not really as big a problem as having a way to display how much he has, though. I'm not sure it would be possible to add a UI element to show the player how much money they have.
Yeah, a money-o-meter sounds like it might be tough. Does anyone here know if that is even possible?

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
It's an inside joke regarding people putting genders on Pokemon to match their headcanons despite the fact that they don't have a defined gender.
Personally, I tend to think of most Pokemon as male, mostly because of the tendency to refer to things with no gender (or ambiguous gender) as "he". Such as robots or generic monsters. If I don't say "it", I generally default to male pronouns. Eevee forms even more so, given that they're much more likely to be male (although it's hard for me to consider Sylveon female). Combine all that with the fact that I tend to like to make my teams out of male Pokemon, and always makes me do a double-take and think "why would you do that?" when I see someone referring to a species with female pronouns.

Speaking of Eevee genders, I was quite surprised when I spent a couple of weeks hatching eggs trying to get my wonderful shiny Sylveon, and I wound up with a female. I should probably be happy since that's even rarer, but I really did want a male :(

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Nice analysis! I always thought that Vaporeon seemed like a male, but I would have to agree with the popular consensus on the others.
Yeah if I were a modder, there would be a Project Pokemon vs Fire Emblem Smash game already in the works.
Vaporeon is a lot of people's water waifu. :smirk:

Personally, I tend to think of most Pokemon as male, mostly because of the tendency to refer to things with no gender (or ambiguous gender) as "he". Such as robots or generic monsters. If I don't say "it", I generally default to male pronouns. Eevee forms even more so, given that they're much more likely to be male (although it's hard for me to consider Sylveon female). Combine all that with the fact that I tend to like to make my teams out of male Pokemon, and always makes me do a double-take and think "why would you do that?" when I see someone referring to a species with female pronouns.

Speaking of Eevee genders, I was quite surprised when I spent a couple of weeks hatching eggs trying to get my wonderful shiny Sylveon, and I wound up with a female. I should probably be happy since that's even rarer, but I really did want a male :(
That's also a fair interpretation, but since you have the freedom to choose, people tend to take that freedom and just say what they like.

I said it, but restating it to give this post some more words lol. Lots of people like to give the cute and adorable ones as female, and the cute and cool ones as male.

caldw19940

Smash Cadet

For me it can be a mix of different traits, quite often voice alone makes me think of certain pronouns for gender if there isn't a specified one but other times the name or other aspects that come off as more masculine or feminine can change that. A good example of when I do this is in the game Shadow of the Colossus, the Collossi are never confirmed to have a gender but going by their names sounds and how some of them translate into English from Latin some can get an idea of what the gender may lean towards.

This is just a minor thing though, I'm very 50/50 on gender pronouns for things not specific depending on their voice/appearance at a first glance i.e Gardevoir in the Smash Pokeball being Female.

Having a tendency to lean towards your own gender is a sortof natural instinct of ingroups and outgroups whereby you associate better with others who have things in common so psychologically has a slight preference towards their own gender/age etc. It's very noticeable in groups, teams or parties where you form Us (ingroup) and Them (outgroup). Of course not everyone acts the same way. Oh how my high school psychology class has kept me interested in stuff like this :L

Last edited:

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
This Pokemon talk got me thinking about the potential for :pt: and i came up with a moveset. It's pretty long though so brace yourself and grab a snack or two.

Ok so my idea for a :pt: moveset is slightly different than others so i'll go ahead and explain it a bit before going into it. Basically in my head, :pt: would be smash's version of a puppet master. What this means is that he doesn't do any attacking but rather positions himself and his puppets so they can attack for him. By his "puppets" of course i mean his Pokemon. One problem however is that the question is raised "which Pokemon should he be able to command?" I chose two very common ones(:050: and :016:) and a very sought after one(:133:). I know there are numerous possibilities and options but i think my setup is the most unique without being too difficult. If done correctly it can be one of the most dynamic movesets in the game.

- :pt: would have 3 Pokemon, 1 at his side at all times, 1 in the air at all times and 1 on the ground at all times.
- His air Pokemon would be :016::017: and :018:
- While his ground Pokemon would be :050: and :051:.
- For his side pokemon it would be :133: :134::135::136::196::197:Sylveon, Leafeon and Glaceon.

Here's a picture of where the Pokemon would have the freedom to move to. The green represents where Diglett, and :051: can go while the red represents where :016:, :017: and :018: can go. :133: and her evo's are next to :pt: but since he isn't on screen they aren't either.

Of course all these pokemon would not be on the stage at the same time but they would evolve over the course of the match. :016:'s evolution ladder is straightforward as is :050:'s. :133:'s is a bit more complex though. To get the Pokemon to evolve would require you to meet one of the following requirements.

- The Pokemon needs to land a certain number of attacks
- The Pokemon needs to be used a certain number of times
- The Pokemon needs to be fed a certain number of rare candies.

If you lose a stock the Pokemon wouldn't devolve. Once they evolve that's it. Also after some time when the Pokemon has reached it's final form, feeding it rare candies only increases it's damage output by a little. The rest of the data remains the same. With all that being said, here is the WIP moveset.

Jab - :133: does a quick :pikachu2: like headbutt. (Evo's also headbutt)
Dash Attack - :133: curls up into a ball and throws his/her self forward. Same for Evo's.
Forwad Tilt - :133: bucks forward with back two legs. (Evo's all do a vertical arc elemental breath move. :136: does fire breath :135: electric etc. The arc is similar to waddle doo's electric beam)
Down Tilt - :133: crouches and does a tail sweep similar to :pikachu2:. ( Same for Evo's)
Up Tilt - :133: hops up and hits with head. Similar to :squirtle: hitbox wise but it looks like :charizard:'s up tilt/ up air. ( Same for Evo's except they emit a burst of their element.)
Down Smash - :133: does :pichumelee:'s dsmash from melee. (Evo's do :pikachu2:'s dsmash but for their element.) :050: pops up in the direction :pt: is facing while :133: just attacks around :pt:'s legs.
Up Smash - :133: jumps and arcs his/her head in a similar motion to wolf's up aerial. (Evo's do the same but emit their element in multiple bursts similar to :samus2:'s Up Smash)
Forward Smash - :133: curls up into a ball and propels his/her self forward. (Evo's do their elemental rendition of pikachu's fsmash. All are slightly different)
Nair - :133: .....Hard to explain this one so i'll start with the Evo's. They do an arc'ed elemental breath move similar to :ike:'s nair. It would cover in front of, under and slightly behind :pt:. :133: just curls up into a ball and follows the path of the nair.
Fair - :133: In an arcing motion similar to :marth:'s fair or :samus2:'s fair, :133: curls up into a ball and propels his/her self downwards with a slight curve. Evo's just do a breath based element attack following the same path.
Bair - :133: curls up into a ball and horizontally wips around the other side of :pt:'s body, :pt: turns around as it happens. Evo's do the breath thing again but horizontally instead of vertically.
Dair - :050: Pops up quickly then goes back under ground.
Uair - :133: Curls up into a ball and propels his/her self straight upwards. Evo's do an arc'ed elemental breath attack that follows the path of wolf's up air

Zair - :pt: uses the Pokemon ranger whip in a similar manner to :samus2:'s zair.

Grab - :pt: uses the Pokemon ranger whip to try and lasso the other character.

Pummel - This is where things get interesting. :pt: would have a semi wobble. His whip would have a shock mechanic which would be his actual pummel but :133: could jab the character with the infinity headbutt. For balance the character should be able to breakout after a certain number of hits or :133: would stop attacking after a certain number of headbutts.

Down Throw - :pt: slings the whip downwards which lifts the character slightly then as they're coming down :050: pops up under them for the attack.

Forward Throw - :133: curls up into a ball and propels his/her self into the body of the character

Back Throw - :pt: spins the character around and throws them with the whip similar to :samus2:'s back throw but at the end of the throw :133: curls up into a ball and launches his/her body into theirs.

Up throw - :pt: turns around with the whip over his shoulder and his back facing the character. Then he yanks forward and downward as hard as he can. The character is sent upwards and :016: swoops in to hit the character.

Time for Specials.

Neutral Special - :pt: picks up a rock and throws it. Small chance to pull a pokeball out of his backpack and throw it which captures the other character for a short period of time. More damage = longer time in the ball. The ball itself can't be damaged but can be picked up and thrown. I know it sounds broken because you can just pick the ball up and throw the character offstage but, you'd have to already have extreme amounts of damage for you to be in it that long and the chances of him pulling a pokeball would be like 1/10 and that doesn't even guarantee it. He has to actually hit you with the ball first.

Forward Special - Special move for :133: and her evo's. Haven't thought of them all yet but they will definitely be different from each other. I'm thinking some variation of a projectile.

Down Special (Dig) - :050: is called. Everytime he pops out of the ground is an attack. Tap :GCD::GCB: once to send him under ground as a trap. Tap :GCD::GCB: again to make him reappear where he currently is. Press :GCD::GCB: to make him go underground and follow you as long as you hold :GCB:. If you let go he'll resurface for a surprise attack. Before he resurfaces while your still holding :GCB: tilt:GCDR: or :GCDL: to make him resurface just in front of or behind you.:051: has a larger hitbox and deals more damage.

Up Special (Fly) - :016: is called. While on ground :016: will swoop down to the height that :pt: is at and fly straight across with extreme speed then flys back up in the air. The attack kocks other characters away from red. If :pt: is in the air off the stage, :016: swoops straight down then comes up under red who proceeds to grab onto :016:'s leg as he holds onto the foot of :133:. :016: is then controlled by the player in a similar manner to :pit:'s brawl up special as long as :GCB: is held. When :GCB: is released, :016: flings his/her leg and foot forward and red and :133: are sent tumbling in the direction the control stick is held. :016: then returns to the top of the screen. As :016: evolves, the amount of time he/she can stay in the air is increased. His/her hitboxes and damage is increased as well. Also :016: will auto attack any character that flies into him/her that isn't red. If red flies into :016: from an attack, Red will autotech against :016: as if he/she were a wall.

As :pt: moves around the stage, :016: positions his/herself on the same side of the stage as :pt:. If :pt: is more towards the middle of the stage, :016: will hover above the stage. Using up special while grounded switches sides that you would like :016: to be on. If :pt: is on the left and :016: is on the right, when :pt: goes to the right :016: will fly to the left. If you use up special :016: would then swoop to the right where :pt: is and when :pt: goes to the left :016: will also go to the left. Do the move again and :016: will now be opposite of :pt:. If :pt: is offstage and calls for :016: and :016: is on the opposite side of the map, :016: swoops downwards off screen and flies up just under :pt: however because they weren't on the same side :016: wouldn't gain as much altitude.

Taunt 1 - :pt: turns his cap around like ash and points forward saying something cheesy like "I'm ready to fight!" All Pokemon would then do a battle stance and battle cry.

Taunt 2 - :pt: raises his fist into the air and in the most annoying voice possible says "We did it!". The Pokemon would then howl and do some kind of happy dance.

Taunt 3 - :pt: reaches into his pack and throws out 3 rare candies at the same time. :016: then swoops down to catch one in its mouth, :133: jumps up and catches one in its mouth and :050: just catches it on its head and goes underground for a second then resurfaces with the rare candy missing.....weird. Sometimes :pt: will throw out a stone that can evolve :133:. If the stone thrown out isn't the evolution you prefer, there are two things you can do. 1 if you taunt cancel by sliding into the ledge as the candies are thrown, command :133: mid taunt. The candy will disappear and :133: will remain the same. 2 throw a rock at :133:. Use your neutral special just as :133: is evolving and he/she will stop. It's cruel but it will prevent the evolution.

This moveset would of course take at least 1000+ hours of work and would require multiple programming miracles but if it's done correctly i could see this character being incredible.
This seems... unnecessarily complicated.

I like it!

Edit: Well something got messed up here. Not sure what

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Andy's Money can be very simple. Let's say he can have max 5 moneys(not exact but roll with me)
He gets money through fighting
It costs 2 money to set one of X different units. It costs one to upgrade. You upgrade by standing next to the unit and using the upgrade special.
Let's say
B- Unit A
>B- Unit B
^B- Recovery move/Unit C
vB- Upgrade
You could make it like Lucario where he has normal specials but B+A actually brings out a Unit.
It's not as complex as it sounds, it's just a different spin on what Lucario already does.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Andy's Money can be very simple. Let's say he can have max 5 moneys(not exact but roll with me)
He gets money through fighting
It costs 2 money to set one of X different units. It costs one to upgrade. You upgrade by standing next to the unit and using the upgrade special.
Let's say
B- Unit A
>B- Unit B
^B- Recovery move/Unit C
vB- Upgrade
You could make it like Lucario where he has normal specials but B+A actually brings out a Unit.
It's not as complex as it sounds, it's just a different spin on what Lucario already does.
I've never been confused and pleased at the same time until now.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Just saw that the torch has been passed down and the OP is redone for 2014, nice.

At the same time, no links to my Toad moveset and no Lip banner make me a sad panda.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Just saw that the torch has been passed down and the OP is redone for 2014, nice.

At the same time, no links to my Toad moveset and no Lip banner make me a sad panda.
Well, to be fair we only add characters that reach up to 10+ votes to the banner. If you provide a link to your moveset ideas, I'll add it to the OP when I get time. As for Lip, show her more support until she reaches that vote limit. I'll add her to the OP afterwards and Anti-Guy can update when he gets the chance.

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
There are quite a few characters who should be added by this point, Lip being one of the major ones (we already have an icon made for her as well). The OP is a continuous project that we'll continue to update periodically.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
There are quite a few characters who should be added by this point, Lip being one of the major ones (we already have an icon made for her as well). The OP is a continuous project that we'll continue to update periodically.
Are we still going by the +10 thing or just adding characters based on worth? This is something to my knowledge we have not really been concrete about.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
They just need 10 votes period I believe, halfvotes and downvotes included. They could be -10 and could get on the list, they'd for sure show up on the next results.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
They just need 10 votes period I believe, halfvotes and downvotes included. They could be -10 and could get on the list, they'd for sure show up on the next results.
I think we discussed further back in our PMs that there has to be a minimum requirement of upvotes for them to make it, because if it's all downvotes then there's no point.

Edit: My suggestion: At least 10 votes, with at least 5 of them being upvotes.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Well, to be fair we only add characters that reach up to 10+ votes to the banner. If you provide a link to your moveset ideas, I'll add it to the OP when I get time. As for Lip, show her more support until she reaches that vote limit. I'll add her to the OP afterwards and Anti-Guy can update when he gets the chance.
Oh OK, I didn't know about that re:Lip before. As for the Toad thing, here's a link.

I really want to bump Ridley down to a half vote and Lip up to a full vote. I'm not feeling for him like I thought and the vote was more of a support thing than a personal desire...

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
I think we discussed further back in our PMs that there has to be a minimum requirement of upvotes for them to make it, because if it's all downvotes then there's no point.

Edit: My suggestion: At least 10 votes, with at least 5 of them being upvotes.
My only change I'd recommend with this one would be 5 "possitive" votes. Since a lot of the frequent thread visitors that would extend votes to them would have already used all of their +1s, it could be difficult for any other candidate to make the list. Counting +1 and 1/2 votes to this 5 of 10 total would be a good way to get more candidates in the OP. Does that sound like a good compromise?

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I was surprised as to the OP's lack of Slippy Toad. I guess he hasn't reached the requirements.

Or maybe he'll be in the next update by Tomato Guy. (I am never letting that one go.)

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
My only change I'd recommend with this one would be 5 "possitive" votes. Since a lot of the frequent thread visitors that would extend votes to them would have already used all of their +1s, it could be difficult for any other candidate to make the list. Counting +1 and 1/2 votes to this 5 of 10 total would be a good way to get more candidates in the OP. Does that sound like a good compromise?
That's what I meant by upvotes. ;)

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I was surprised as to the OP's lack of Slippy Toad. I guess he hasn't reached the requirements.

Or maybe he'll be in the next update by Tomato Guy. (I am never letting that one go.)
+1 Tomatoes (Tomato Adventure)

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
+1 Sami.
Because that "leak" still had a great Sami and I think it sums up that whoever PM puts in, it'll be fun.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
To be fair, I think he's gathered enough votes from the April Fools video alone to get him in the OP. He was brought up really early in this threads life as a trolly Snake clone before that though lol.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
+1 Tomatoes (Tomato Adventure)

I demand DaMille.

Also, my Wii and Wii U are going to be exploding from overuse when I get my hands on that new Gamecube controller for Smash 4. I'll be playing so much of Project M and Smash 4 that I won't see the light of day for at least a year or so.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
I had an idea for Skull Kid's down special, similar to Link's in that it uses bombs, but also a nod to the fact that Skull Kid used to be a part of the Bomber's Club:

Carpet Bomb: Skull Kid lobs two bombs a short distance onto the ground, one in front of him and one behind him. If Skull Kid collides with the bomb he can be given an extra jump, just like other bomb using characters. The bomb's are graphically the same bombs used in Melee, a nod to the OoT artwork, as opposed to Toon Link using the WW bombs, and Link using the TP bombs.

Strategically, it lobs bombs instead of throwing them, making them harder to shine/reflect, at the same time since they are only lobbed/dropped on front of and behind Skull Kid there's an increased chance SK may get caught in his own explosions. Also can be spammed in the air with short lag, to rain bombs from the sky! Seems like something I could see Skull Kid actually doing.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Can somebody link my rant on him I'm too lazy
I've lost the will to argue anything in this thread.
You gotta fight the good fight, Arc.

Here's how I feel about characters in Smash. Once a character is in the game, they are no longer the character from their universe. They are a fighter in Smash, and you have to respect that. You have to respect their personality and moveset together.
Say they took Ryu when developing SF5Turbo, and gave his moveset to Haggar and gave him a new moveset based on his headband or whatever. That wouldn't work, because it wouldn't be Ryu anymore. It would be Haggar and a guy that looks like Ryu.
Characters in Smash are just like characters in Street Fighter. They make up the roster and add variety to the game. That is it. They aren't repping anything. They're fighting game characters in a fighting game.
is it this one?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom