• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Is the fan base for Simon really that high? If anything I would have thought it would be for Alucard
There is really not much interest in a playable Castlevania character looking at this thread (though again, he is disqualified), as well as looking as requests for Smash 4 (the threads that exist for potential Castlevania newcomers are dead).

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Is the fan base for Simon really that high? If anything I would have thought it would be for Alucard

Alucard isn't half as iconic, and if he were he's more of an icon for the Playstation. Plus he signifies the death of true Castlevania games.

(Also, in Chrono's mind the Smashboards Smash 4 forums are the only Smash Bros fans)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
(Also, in Chrono's mind the Smashboards Smash 4 forums are the only Smash Bros fans)
No, I put that disclaimer there because then I have people sassing mean that I am "speaking for everyone". Personally, I have not seen much interest for a Castlevania character anywhere. While Simon Belmont sometimes comes up, he is an uncommon request even compared to other third-party choices.

These kind of childish insults towards me has to stop.

Malion

Smash Ace
Kat and ana would make cool ice climbers style characters. with swords!

(also Zant would be awesome! totally cool and collected but can turn into a crazy spaz at the drop of a hat)

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
No, I put that disclaimer there because then I have people sassing mean that I am "speaking for everyone". Personally, I have not seen much interest for a Castlevania character anywhere. While Simon Belmont sometimes comes up, he is an uncommon request even compared to other third-party choices.

These kind of childish insults towards me has to stop.

It wasn't an insult, I'm simply trying to point out to you that you're being narrow minded. By taking such small samples you're going to run into plenty of issues as far as bias is concerned. You need to look at why someone like Simon wouldn't be requested. For starters many people aren't expecting all that many 3rd parties and have settled for Pacman due to Namco's involvement. That doesn't mean they want him, mind you, it's more a matter of expectation. Add to the fact that many people believe that if Konami gets a 3rd party rep it's going to be Snake again and you're looking at a losing battle for Simon. If a character is as good as out of the running nobody is going to fight for them because they know how pointless it is. Personally, I have seen tons of Simon support all throughout the internet as well as in my day to day life talking to real people in real life in real person. Of course I've also seen a lot of anti-Simon sentiment as well as a fair share of total lack of interest. The point is, a single message board isn't going to be even a slightly accurate representation of what a fanbase wants, yet you seem to use this in your arguments time and time again. I'm not attacking you, hell, if anything I'm trying to help.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
That's because he's flapping his wings.... he's not levitating :p

Ridley could be a charizard/mk hybrid, and can be rescaled to that melee intro size, he can be ringed out. he's not impossible and is highly requested and is on the list. I don't understand why you think he's impossible pikachu with ketchup.

Also understand that this is the PMBR callin the shots, if they want him we get him.
Im not saying I would hate playing with him. I just think it would be slightly awkward to see ridley as a character that was as big as charizard, while I was used to him being 10 times larger than me. If he was implemented, I would certainly play with him, I was just saying I dont understand how his design would be made.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Im not saying I would hate playing with him. I just think it would be slightly awkward to see ridley as a character that was as big as charizard, while I was used to him being 10 times larger than me. If he was implemented, I would certainly play with him, I was just saying I dont understand how his design would be made.
they would base it off this
its not so big is it? doesn't look awkward either, note smash bros is not cannon.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
looks pretty cool actually, I had my mind on the brawl ridley design. I wouldnt mind it but I hope its not identical to charizard.
oh no bro they will probably use something similar to the melee design (but they are going to have to scale down the brawl one if its possible), since this is a mod for melee after all and people thought at the time that that's how ridley was going to look like. and yeah he'll be sightly bigger than charizard.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
oh no bro they will probably use something similar to the melee design (but they are going to have to scale down the brawl one if its possible), since this is a mod for melee after all and people thought at the time that that's how ridley was going to look like. and yeah he'll be sightly bigger than charizard.
sounds cool, but they would really have to perfect the design

red9rd

Smash Ace
Ive asked this before, but with all the breakthroughs happening with Project M If the PMBR were able to fix and make the Alloys Project M quality for multiplayer, do you think they would?

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Ive asked this before, but with all the breakthroughs happening with Project M If the PMBR were able to fix and make the Alloys Project M quality for multiplayer, do you think they would?
This is something I've always wondered, even before the clone engine. Probably not possible unless they can add B moves and other things they're missing, but that might be a little too much work anyway.

red9rd

Smash Ace
This is something I've always wondered, even before the clone engine. Probably not possible unless they can add B moves and other things they're missing, but that might be a little too much work anyway.
Yeah but with all they have surprised us with, what if they're just like "ah yeah we could have done that."

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Yeah but with all they have surprised us with, what if they're just like "ah yeah we could have done that."
If they were capable of doing it (theoretically), that would be pretty awesome.
However, I dunno if the alloys have their own hidden character data, or if modders use the forbidden seven slots (like I presume the clone engine does), to make them appear on their custom CSS's. If it's the former, then that would mean there could be 4 additional potential characters, which is what I think you're getting at with this.

red9rd

Smash Ace
If they were capable of doing it (theoretically), that would be pretty awesome.
However, I dunno if the alloys have their own hidden character data, or if modders use the forbidden seven slots (like I presume the clone engine does), to make them appear on their custom CSS's. If it's the former, then that would mean there could be 4 additional potential characters, which is what I think you're getting at with this.
If I remember right in one of the videos don't they use Roy or MewTwo to fight the Alloys?

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
If I remember right in one of the videos don't they use Roy or MewTwo to fight the Alloys?
I believe that was Ike, so there is a very, very small chance that they were using a build without the clones. But that wouldn't make much sense, so the alloys definitely have their own character data.......somewhere. Probably not the best place to talk about this, but nothing else is happening and it's at least somewhat relevant.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
I believe that was Ike, so there is a very, very small chance that they were using a build without the clones. But that wouldn't make much sense, so the alloys definitely have their own character data.......somewhere. Probably not the best place to talk about this, but nothing else is happening and it's at least somewhat relevant.
It might be better placed in the specific clone engine discussion, but I think its at least okay here.
Personally, what I want to know is if they can cannibalize the alloys for more clone engine character slots.

Edit: Apparently that's what people were getting at. Didn't read closely enough, it seems.
If their data actually lacks a place to put B move animations and other miscellaneous animations, and whatnot, I couldn't see it happening, but it would be cool nonetheless if possible.
The alloys might directly access their counterparts data, for example, meaning they don't have their own slots.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
It might be better placed in the specific clone engine discussion, but I think its at least okay here.
Personally, what I want to know is if they can cannibalize the alloys for more clone engine character slots.

Edit: Apparently that's what people were getting at. Didn't read closely enough, it seems.
If their data actually lacks a place to put B move animations and other miscellaneous animations, and whatnot, I couldn't see it happening, but it would be cool nonetheless if possible.
The alloys might directly access their counterparts data, for example, meaning they don't have their own slots.
Now that I think about it, I don't think they'd want to "sabotage" the single player experience by replacing the alloys.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, from what I heard they wanted to come back to Single player if they can
I totally understand if that's the case, but I would certainly be happy if they remodeled the alloys into 2 or 3 Project M enemies (each Smash has had a different iteration, after all). Given that they only use normals, and they're based off of generic fighting characters, they're hardly unique enough to merit 4, in my opinion. I'd say toss the yellow alloy if you wanted to pick just one. Leftover slots could then be salvaged for use. Really only useful if they needed space for that one extra character, and this assumes a lot about the technical side of making such a character, but I'd still greatly appreciate it if it ever happened by some miracle.

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
The Alloys are just standard characters from the roster with different skins, I don't see why they would need to be included in multiplayer.

red9rd

Smash Ace
You could always use the Polygon and Wire Frame fighters as alternate costumes

also from what I heard some of the Alloys share moves from multiple characters

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Lol, why so much downvotes on some characters? Anyway, here's my votes:

1.) Lyn
2.) Shadow
3.) Ridley
4.) Black Shadow idea (thought of this before for Smash 4)
5.) Waluigi

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Yes, you are right but:

That's kind of a different case. I mean since they're both the same character, shouldn't Shiek be called Zelda as well? The reason is that Shiek is a name given to Zelda's alternate form. The Masked Man never actually had a name besides what the battle system called him, other than, you know, Claus. Not even the the person who turned him into Masked Man knew his actual name. Keeping him as Masked Man would fit into what Smash has already done with Shiek, actually, and yeah it would help keep him as spoiler-free as possible.

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
That's kind of a different case. I mean since they're both the same character, shouldn't Shiek be called Zelda as well? The reason is that Shiek is a name given to Zelda's alternate form. The Masked Man never actually had a name besides what the battle system called him, other than, you know, Claus. Not even the the person who turned him into Masked Man knew his actual name. Keeping him as Masked Man would fit into what Smash has already done with Shiek, actually, and yeah it would help keep him as spoiler-free as possible.
Not to argue against the Masked Man or anything, but Shiek's name is derived from the Sheikah race, whom guarded Zelda in OoT. Impa taught Zelda the ways of her tribe so that she may escape and protect herself from Ganon. It wasn't a Smash thing, it was a Zelda thing.

I don't know enough about Claus to say for certain, but would people really like or understand the character more as the 'Masked Man' or just as Claus?

red9rd

Smash Ace
He gets his pissed off attitude towards the world after someone important to him dies at the beginning. Thats when I like to think He has the Masked Man persona.

Not to argue against the Masked Man or anything, but Shiek's name is derived from the Sheikah race, whom guarded Zelda in OoT. Impa taught Zelda the ways of her tribe so that she may escape and protect herself from Ganon. It wasn't a Smash thing, it was a Zelda thing.

I don't know enough about Claus to say for certain, but would people really like or understand the character more as the 'Masked Man' or just as Claus?
I would like him to be called Claus, but if we get him either way I don't give a ****.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
He gets his pissed off attitude towards the world after someone important to him dies at the beginning. Thats when I like to think He has the Masked Man persona.
No. He gets angry at the dino who killed his mom, dino kicks his butt. Pig Army finds him, and he basically gets mind-wiped by Porky, and it basically takes Lucas and the ghost of his mom to restore his memory as to who he is.

He is not "emo" at all. For the most of the game he is basically a mindless drone of Porky.

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
No. He gets angry at the dino who killed his mom, dino kicks his butt. Pig Army finds him, and he basically gets mind-wiped by Porky, and it basically takes Lucas and the ghost of his mom to restore his memory as to who he is.

He is not "emo" at all. For the most of the game he is basically a mindless drone of Porky.
Gah, spoilers! Naw, I'm kidding. So by that logic, is the Masked Man really a true representation of Claus?

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Full votes:
Ridley
Isaac
K. Rool
Claus
Samurai Goroh

Half votes:
Sukapon
Ganondorf / Black Shadow
Bowser Jr.
Saki

Anti votes:
Dixie Kong
Sami
Lyn
Paper Mario
Dark Samus
Andy

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman

It was a little more than just "being angry." Claus wanted to become stronger so he could protect himself and others like he couldn't when his mother was killed. He was hasty, as Flint says, but not just out for blood. Besides, the entire point of the Masked Man's story was that, in the end, he was still Claus. Just because something had to give him hope (because he has been pretty broken down emotionally at this point) to fight for his identity doesn't make that any less important.
Edit: I suppose this may seem a little combative, so I'll clarify, I mean to say that it is somewhat up to interpretation.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Porky pretty much flat out says he doesn't know who he is (Claus doesn't know who he is). So there was definitely mind wiping that went on.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
Porky pretty much flat out says he doesn't know who he is (Claus doesn't know who he is). So there was definitely mind wiping that went on.
That wasn't my point. You made a rather sweeping argument about the situation and its importance, and I responded by saying it was somewhat up to interpretation. Isn't half of what Porky says meant to demoralize anyway? He spews out a lot of self-aggrandizing talk and belittles you and tells you that your own brother doesn't remember you because he's the villain and the point of the game is for him to be wrong in the end. Yeah, there was mind-wiping, but Claus's personality still shines through in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom