• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
And the Geno fan base is huge.
More like was.

In regards to "repping" Mario RPGs, I think there are more important characters that can do just that like Paper Mario (who has the Mario RPG sub-series) or Fawful (the Mario & Luigi sub-series). There is also no complicated copyright issues with them, and have had important roles in more than one game.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Alright look shadow does have popularity, but he also has alot of people who dislike him. The people in other threads other than this one can tell you that, It didn't seem that what chrono said was biased, he was just mearly stating what he's seen on polls and such the last couple years. If he was doing something wrong I would have called him out on it, but he was just speaking from observation.

Now then it's going to be up the PMBR to decide what they are going to choose, I have a hunch that they are going to pick pichu, just because the mod is dedicated to melee not 3rd parties. Also just because its eligible doesn't mean the PMBR is going to say oh yeah let's pick em, In the end they'll decide who to choose based on who would make the game more hype worthy? I bet they have already decided on some by now. and if we were going to get a 3rd party I think they'd lean toward simon (cause why is there a castlevania stage?) and if you don't like the downvotes, then tell shadow fans to come in here and up vote him up if that's the case. I don't dislike shadow because of the downfall of sonic, I don't like him because he could easily be another reskin, what moves can he bring to make PM more hype? and m2k lyn is mine..... nice to see that he's interested in the choice though.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
There's only one character I would ask for. however I was told that the Project M people don't like the concept, so whoever get's made would be cool I guess.

I honestly don't even know why I'm here, then.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
There's only one character I would ask for. however I was told that the Project M people don't like the concept, so whoever get's made would be cool I guess.

I honestly don't even know why I'm here, then.
Curious what character that is?

Pokemon Trainer? They have not said much of anything about possible choices except what the qualifications are.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Secondly, I am not sure if Masked Man even qualifies for Project M considering he does not even make an appearance in Brawl. Claus, the innocent boy does, but the the cyborg mindless underling of Porky, Masked Man, doesn't.
That's like saying Link in his Magic armor, wearing the hawkeye, using a butterfly net and Mirror shield doesn't qualify.

Claus wearing a different costume doesn't change the fact he is Claus.

Spoiler alert, Masked Man = Claus

Therefore Claus = Claus

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
That's like saying Link in his Magic armor, wearing the hawkeye, using a butterfly net and Mirror shield doesn't qualify.

Claus wearing a different costume doesn't change the fact he is Claus.

Spoiler alert, Masked Man = Claus

Therefore Claus = Claus
That is not an apt analogy considering how there has been different playable incarnations of Link even within Smash Bros. (Link, Young Link, Toon Link), and how there is even different versions of the same characters (Dr. Mario and Mario, Samus and Zero Suit Samus).

Claus the innocent boy would obviously be much different than Masked Man the Pig Empire cyborg. Its like comparing Samus to Zero Suit Samus, both are the same character, but have profoundly different abilities and appearances.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Curious what character that is?

Pokemon Trainer? They have not said much of anything about possible choices except what the qualifications are.
actually, yes. you are right. the pokemon trainer. except not like brawl, but as his own character.

I don't know if they are against the the character or the concept used in brawl, but if it's the character, I would lose some hype for project m. but if it's just the bad concept, and if they do put PT (I call him Red) then my hype would go through the roof.

basically I want him cause there's no chance of him being playable in regular smash, despite how iconic he is.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
More like was.

In regards to "repping" Mario RPGs, I think there are more important characters that can do just that like Paper Mario (who has the Mario RPG sub-series) or Fawful (the Mario & Luigi sub-series). There is also no complicated copyright issues with them, and have had important roles in more than one game.
More like had* lol

I duno, I don't think he lost fans, I think fans lost hope.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
I don't see them calling Wario

"Warioware Wario" and "Warioland Wario"

your argument is just as flawed.

splat

Smash Lord
Really you don't care for Simon? I'm not a huge Castlevania guy, but he would be a fantastic character to add.

And the Geno fan base is huge. I don't know why you would despise him so much. Hes got a super cool set of moves, he was the best part of Mario RPG, and hes an obscure character who would be great to put in smash as a surprise. Sakurai loves adding random nonsense.

Also I would argue that other than Mario himself, Geno was THE most important part of Mario RPG. He was the mysterious character specifically opposing the antagonist (Smithy) and guiding the team along the way.

Perhaps 99% is a bit excessive, but there's certainly a large enough fan base for Geno to make him relevant.
I've yet to play any Castlevania game (not my kind of game), but from what I've Simon does look like a pretty cool character - but that's pretty much it for me. I wouldn't necessarily oppose him, but I'd much prefer any other third party (a Nintendo character would be even better).

I really don't think the Geno fan base is as big as many people think it is - again, I think it's just very loud. Which is exactly why I've grown to dislike him - when I made a Brawl roster back in the day, I'd be flocked by a few fans saying Geno should be on there because "Geno's as good as confirmed".
I don't really know why you bring up Sakurai - this is Project M we're talking about, not Smash 4, remember? ;) Just to respond to it, though - Sakurai is catering to the masses (as he should for a game of Smash's scope), and the masses mostly haven't heard of Geno (as tons of them started gaming well after Mario RPG first appeared) - not to mention, there's much better surprise characters to be picked, even among Nintendo's own property.

When it boils down to it, Geno has only been important in a single game - one that has been mentioned only once after it's release (with him appearing in that mini-game in Mario & Luigi). I could change a few words around to make something comparable:
Also I would argue that other than Mario himself, Kersti was THE most important part of Paper Mario Sticker Star. She was the mysterious character specifically opposing the antagonist (Bowser) and guiding Mario along the way.
Of course, it's more complicated than this, but it's a simple example; Geno's absolutely not important enough to take the fifth Mario spot as well as one of the limited third party slots.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I don't see them calling Wario

"Warioware Wario" and "Warioland Wario"

your argument is just as flawed.
Both of those characters have the same abilities. Whereas Claus as the innocent boy (how he appears in Brawl) definitely does not have the same abilities as Masked Man who has bat wings and other cyborg implementations.

Again, the example of Samus and Zero Suit Samus.

Also, I am not sure whether this is relevant to the topic, but Mother 3 is a rather divisive game in Japan:
http://earthboundcentral.com/2013/04/mother-3-and-japanese-fans-revisited/

Even on a popular Japanese website I used to explore what the Japanese felt about various software titles (particularly their opinions on each game for the Fire Emblem series), Mother 3's aggregate score from fan reviews was like 66 or 67, and a score of C.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
since feel and size isnt a difference, we should throw masterhand in there too. Im being legit, if we're pitching limitless ideas.
The problem with Master Hand is that in Smash Bros. the game operates on ring outs, and Master Hand is not really a character that can be "ringed out". He is always floating and is pretty much a typical boss.

However, I have the feeling you are being snarky.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I don't really know why you bring up Sakurai - this is Project M we're talking about, not Smash 4, remember? ;)

Ya sorry I get carried away sometimes, I'm on more than one forum so ya... And I went to Sakurai cause we already know Geno can't be in P:M

Just to respond to it, though - Sakurai is catering to the masses (as he should for a game of Smash's scope), and the masses mostly haven't heard of Geno (as tons of them started gaming well after Mario RPG first appeared) - not to mention, there's much better surprise characters to be picked, even among Nintendo's own property.

I don't know if he's catering to the masses. He doesn't always... He always picks random characters no one wants/thinks to want. PLUS he has said he won't be listening to the fans this time around (such is my understanding).

When it boils down to it, Geno has only been important in a single game - one that has been mentioned only once after it's release (with him appearing in that mini-game in Mario & Luigi). I could change a few words around to make something comparable:
Also I would argue that other than Mario himself, Kersti was THE most important part of Paper Mario Sticker Star. She was the mysterious character specifically opposing the antagonist (Bowser) and guiding Mario along the way.
Of course, it's more complicated than this, but it's a simple example; Geno's absolutely not important enough to take the fifth Mario spot as well as one of the limited third party slots.

ROB has been in 0 important games. Pit and Ice Climbers pretty much only one or two important games and became irrelevant until being re introduced in smash. I think Geno could EASILY get similar benefits from being added. Even the likes of you might gain some respect for him if you get to play as him. He's a very minor character, but at the same time he is this really mysterious, interesting character that I feel could use some more spotlight. Its not the characters fault he hasn't been seen since SMRPG. He could be given his own RPG and it could turn out awesome! We don't know. I also had no idea he showed up in any other game after SMRPG.. that even increases my hope more lol. I do see why you would hate him BECAUSE of the annoying fan boys, but I think if you give it a chance you could become a bit more open to him.
In case you can't see very well, I replied within your quote in bold italic!

Anyway, this is off topic too, so we don't need to go on and on. I see what you're saying, hopefully I've given you something to ponder :p
If not its all gravy.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
On a different note, how would you guys feel about a fourth Star Fox character? It may not be a new series, but I'm really curious how the PMBR will handle building a spacie from the ground up.

I'd love one! Peppy's my favorite, and I think it'd be hilarious if he got in. Plus, I think the Spacie archetype is so interesting that I'd love to see what the PMBR would do with a fourth character.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
In case you can't see very well, I replied within your quote in bold italic!

Anyway, this is off topic too, so we don't need to go on and on. I see what you're saying, hopefully I've given you something to ponder :p
If not its all gravy.
Game and watch, R.O.B., and now WFT represent the systems they come from. snes/nes, gameandwatch/gba, wii/wiiu. I see where sakurai went with this and if you look at it that way the choices aren't random at all. yeah sorry if I continued this somewhat, but i'd thought i'd let you know.

OT: As for the spacie, it could be krystal or peppy if there is a fourth, i'd like to see krystal but idk how others would feel about it.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Yuji Naka, the series Creator, is responsible for the direction Shadow took. Around the time Shadow's game was being considered, Yuji Naka wanted to experiment with the series using Shadow. The results as you can tell were not impressive. It was around the beginning of Sonic 06's development that Yuji Naka left the Sonic Team. After this happened, the game had no direction at this point and all hell broke loose. Many of the development team members were either fired or quit because of a pointlessly unbearable workload. The remaining members said "screw it" at some point and that is what we ended up with.

Yuji, after leaving the series behind, went to make games for new companies who were just getting started. Ivy the Kiwi was one of the games he made with a random company. It was a flop. He also worked on a game called Rodea the Sky Soldier. It was perceived as a spiritual successor to NiGHTS. The game was finished and has yet to be released from its initial announcement years ago. Yuji's craving for want to do something "new" is ultimately his downfall. He left the Sonic series in a poor state with Shadow as a scapegoat for the series decline.

Oo wow, I never actually knew that. What a shame!

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
Both of those characters have the same abilities. Whereas Claus as the innocent boy (how he appears in Brawl) definitely does not have the same abilities as Masked Man who has bat wings and other cyborg implementations.

Again, the example of Samus and Zero Suit Samus.

Also, I am not sure whether this is relevant to the topic, but Mother 3 is a rather divisive game in Japan:
http://earthboundcentral.com/2013/04/mother-3-and-japanese-fans-revisited/

Even on a popular Japanese website I used to explore what the Japanese felt about various software titles (particularly their opinions on each game for the Fire Emblem series), Mother 3's aggregate score from fan reviews was like 66 or 67, and a score of C.
Masked Man and Claus have different abilities, sure, but this has nothing to do with whether or not he is "allowed" in Project M.
Quote from the game:
"The Masked Man removed his mask. His face looked just like Lucas's."
"It was Claus"
There ya have it, they are the same character, abilities aside. That is why I think he isn't outright disqualified.

Saying Mother 3 was divisive and then pointing out an aggregate score is sort of unfair, I think. Mother 1 is also considered the original giant in the series by Japanese standards, but that doesn't really change anything. The way I understand it, Mother 3 took a lot of undeserved criticism because it was different than Earthbound and Mother 1. I personally think it is an amazing game.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
The problem with Master Hand is that in Smash Bros. the game operates on ring outs, and Master Hand is not really a character that can be "ringed out". He is always floating and is pretty much a typical boss.

However, I have the feeling you are being snarky.
Ridley was a boss in brawl, and floated

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Dude. Geno's not happening, nor should he. Stop.

We'll probably never get a Square Enix character in Smash Bros. And if we do, it'll probably be Sora. Not some character from one game that neither Square nor Nintendo cares about anymore. There are better Square Enix characters to pick from, and better characters to represent the Mario RPGs.

Also, I don't understand the issue with Claus? Claus is Claus. It's not like Masked Man is cloned from Claus's genetic material or something. He's literally just Claus with more powers and different clothes. Zero Suit Samus is also not a separate character from Samus, she's just Samus with less clothing and separate powers.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Ridley was a boss in brawl, and floated
That's because he's flapping his wings.... he's not levitating :p

Ridley could be a charizard/mk hybrid, and can be rescaled to that melee intro size, he can be ringed out. he's not impossible and is highly requested and is on the list. I don't understand why you think he's impossible pikachu with ketchup.

Also understand that this is the PMBR callin the shots, if they want him we get him.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Quote from the game:
"The Masked Man removed his mask. His face looked just like Lucas's."
"It was Claus"
There ya have it, they are the same character, abilities aside. That is why I think he isn't outright disqualified.
Again the example of Samus and Zero Suit Samus. Same person, but each with profoundly different abilities and aesthetics.

I think someone from the team should clear this up.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Isn't this supposed to be a project m thread, not a SSB4 thread? Why don't you guys just take all these inane arguments about your favorite nintendo characters back to that tumor of a forum you call the Smash4 boards? You have a whole forum dedicated to that garbage near the top of the page while we can't even have a social thread in our one section of a small forum near the bottom of the page, I see no reason that anything SSB4 related can't go there instead.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
How?

I think its a legitimate concern.
They're the same character.

ZSS is Samus without her suit. She's not an entirely different character. Yes, she plays differently, but they're the same exact person.

Likewise with Masked Man. He's the same damn person. He's Claus. Spin it however you want, but Claus is the Masked Man.

What exactly is the issue here?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
What exactly is the issue here?
That the Masked Man technically does not appear in Brawl?

As I said before it would be like if Bruce Wayne appeared, yet Batman did not.

Like I said, I am hoping for a backroom team member to clear this up.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
That the Masked Man technically does not appear in Brawl?

As I said before it would be like if Bruce Wayne appeared, yet Batman did not.

Like I said, I am hoping for a backroom team member to clear this up.
But Bruce Wayne is Batman. Masked Man is Claus. I don't know how to make this clearer. They are the same person.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
But Bruce Wayne is Batman. Masked Man is Claus. I don't know how to make this clearer. They are the same person.
I know they are the same person. But since one appears and the other doesn't the character technically may not qualify.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Also, it looks like I was right on another "fad" character emerging. There was a lot of Midna support on the previous page. :laugh:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
It seems I'm the only one who wants Red (pokemon trainer) to be playable himself.

........I'll just go now.

*sobs*

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I see what's going on, claus is masked man, however masked man doesn't appear in brawl which makes his masked man's moveset technically uneligible, that's what he's saying.

Drinkingfood I play all smash games competitively, i'm not reserved to one like the most of you's. I can be here if I want, and btw there is pointless garbage everywhere I go in SWF not just in the smash 4 thread. We are talking about PM, i don't see someone talking about smash 4 here.

You can thank wave for destorying the social thread, because that was somewhat his intention.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I know they are the same person. But since one appears and the other doesn't the character technically may not qualify.
But it doesn't matter. The characters are the same. Masked Man is just Claus with a helmet. Claus in a different costume. By this logic, armored Mewtwo should be disallowed as an alt costume because he doesn't appear in the game.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am not going to talk more about this. I already said what I needed to say.

Personally, I am not keen on Mother getting as many characters as it has games (and unlike other smaller franchises its a series that has been concluded).

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
CHrononbound, the best way I can counter your point(its a good point don't get me wrong) is that if you got the licensing rights to Samus from nintendo.

You could portray her in ANY of her forms. Example Retro Studios and Team Ninja did this, they presented samus in various forms and costumes in the Prime series and Other M.

If you received the licensing rights to Claus, you could represent him in any of his forms. One of which is the Masked Man. SO there would be no problem.

Thats all I can say for an argument, take it or leave it.

Abeebo

Smash Journeyman
Is voting still going? Imma vote anyway.

1 Vote
Ridley: I have a feeling this one is going to happen at some point for sure
Ganon/Black Shadow
Skapon: This oddball character seems like a diamond in the ruff. I think this idea has a LOT going for it. His image in the game could be like the Olimar of PM just by having such an unorthodox moveset. Plus, all the other reasons stated on the OP post. A Nintendo historic character, Megaman-ish storyline, unique retro-futuristic look brings in unique visual flavor to the cast. Plus, the cool colors he could have!

1/2 vote
Knuckles
Dark Samus
Bowser Jr: Not sure if i'd want him as a Bowser clone

Downvote
Shadow
Krystal
Pichu
Pichu
Pichu

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Yeah, there's really nothing holding MM back legally, let's be honest. Nintendo didn't even hit the fan translation of Mother 3 with a C&D, so there's no way MM being included in the game when Claus is already here would make them stop Project M.

Personally, I am not keen on Mother getting as many characters as it has games (and unlike other smaller franchises its a series that has been concluded).

I feel like the only thing that really matters at the end of the day is how fun the character will be to play + how feasible it is for Project M to create that character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom