• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
This may sound blasphemous to many here, but I actually do support Tails more than I do Dixie. He would have his flying abilities plus his tech and a spin dash for flavor.

TBH, I've just never been a fan of having another monkey. I'd prefer K Rool to Dixie.
I agree, I could see his Neutral Special being his Tail Glide, with two uses, if used on its own it allows Tails to fly using his tails, and if used when near an enemy, like Lucario's Force Palm, Tails would grab his enemy and lift them up into the air, able to drop them off over a pit or something to mes up their game.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I agree, I could see his Neutral Special being his Tail Glide, with two uses, if used on its own it allows Tails to fly using his tails, and if used when near an enemy, like Lucario's Force Palm, Tails would grab his enemy and lift them up into the air, able to drop them off over a pit or something to mes up their game.
Just play him in SSF2 and you'll know 90% of how I envision him.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Just play him in SSF2 and you'll know 90% of how I envision him.
I like Tails and Shadow, although I do lean a little more towards Shadow, as I love a dark antihero, but either one I think would be a great addition to PM.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
This may sound blasphemous to many here, but I actually do support Tails more than I do Dixie. He would have his flying abilities plus his tech and a spin dash for flavor.

TBH, I've just never been a fan of having another monkey. I'd prefer K Rool to Dixie.
I'm prepared for the backlash in saying that I find K. Rool about as hideously unappealing as Ridley, if not more. I find his character suggestion to be obnoxious like Ridley's as well, but to a lesser degree. As for Dixie, I had far more history with her than honestly any Nintendo character on this poll. I just don't care to speak about her since I'm almost certain she will appear in Smash 4.

Also, I guess you could say I feel the same way about Dixie that you do about Ninten. Easily my favorite of the trio too.

This is amazing! This should be a real thing, it has to be a thing!
The only way I would even bother supporting something this abominable is if this thing could even rank on the poll. I highly doubt it happening. Alakadoof has a better chance of happening.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
The only way I would even bother supporting something this abominable is if this thing could even rank on the poll. I highly doubt it happening. Alakadoof has a better chance of happening.
Abominable? it got everything: a sword, legs for days, sweet doppelganger armcannon, spiky rpg hair, big head, polemic electric mouse ears, and decloning villain torso!

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Shall we find out?

MINI POLL

Alakadoof

Ridfirm Conley
II

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Abominable? it got everything: a sword, legs for days, sweet doppelganger armcannon, spiky rpg hair, big head, polemic electric mouse ears, and decloning villain torso!
Yes, but his trophy description states:

"Ridfirm was born from the blood, sweat, and tears of the Smash Bros. fan base. The blood is from suicide, the sweat is from fear, and the tears are from their loved ones who just found out he 5 stocked their entire family without taking a hit. Even Mew2King was forced to resign his pro status in the Smash Community out of fear that his life may be in danger. The only force that has dared to challenge him was a creation born from the Pokemon fans who demanded more slots of the Clone Engine be dedicated to Pokemon characters. Fearing a public outcry, the PMBR took the two best Pokemon they thought could best represent the series and fused them together. Thus creating the completely original character and true rival of Ridfirm Conley, Alakadoof. Even in their recent encounters, Ridfirm claims himself to be too big of a threat to be taken out by the likes of anyone."

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
I have a question about Smash 4:

It looks like we don't want to do a character that has been confirmed to he in Smash 4. I like this; this is a good idea. What if, however, Project M releases a new character assuming that that character will not be playable in Smash 4 and then it turns out that it will, in fact, be playable in Smash 4? Does Project M pull the character? If so, is whatever Project M is secretly working right now in danger of being scrapped entirely because it happens to be in Smash 4?

If yes, I'm totally cool waiting until a bit after Sm4sh is released for any new M characters. What do you guys think?

EDIT: I have no idea if this has been brought up already (I'm sure it has), this thread is way too long.

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I have a question about Smash 4:

It looks like we don't want to do a character that has been confirmed to he in Smash 4. I like this; this is a good idea. What if, however, Project M releases a new character assuming that that character will not be playable in Smash 4 and then it turns out that it will, in fact, be playable in Smash 4? Does Project M pull the character? If so, is whatever Project M is secretly working right now in danger of being scrapped entirely because it happens to be in Smash 4?

If yes, I'm totally cool waiting until a bit after Sm4sh is released for any new M characters. What do you guys think?

EDIT: I have no idea if this has been brought up already (I'm sure it has), this thread is way too long.
It's been brought up like 50 times, yeah. It really needs to go in the OP.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Here're what everyone's waiting for: movement options!
In Joy Mech Fight, Konnan Irahen is Sukapon's longest-ranged, strongest (besides a secret super) attack. She throws her head in front of herself then catches it when it comes back, but if the player holds forward while her head is at max range then her body shoots forth instead. This ability would be quite cool in Smash, where movement is the name of the game.
Making this one was actually kinda hard. Properly moving is highly dependent on situation, and can require some ingenuity. As such, it's difficult to whittle it down to a good collection of significant examples. On the other hand, zoning is a much more subtle game, and is fully implied by the area covered by the move. Hope I did a good job, though!

That imperative at the end is directed both to the players, and the developers. There are endless extra tricks that could potentially be added to the Smash version to increase versatility and depth.
In particular, I notably intentionally omitted recovery as an example, as the move's aerial behavior is unprecedented, and there's quite a lot that could be done with it.
There's also a question of what would happen when her head hits a wall (or if it touches a floor before her feet, if she's falling). The most obvious answer would just be for it to ignore and pass through surfaces, as other moves do. But, it could instead cause her to bounce away, perhaps creating some new AT's.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
In Joy Mech Fight, Konnan Irahen is Sukapon's longest-ranged, strongest (besides a secret super) attack. She throws her head in front of herself then catches it when it comes back, but if the player holds forward while her head is at max range then her body shoots forth instead. This ability would be quite cool in Smash, where movement is the name of the game.
Making this one was actually kinda hard. Properly moving is highly dependent on situation, and can require some ingenuity. As such, it's difficult to whittle it down to a good collection of significant examples. On the other hand, zoning is a much more subtle game, and is fully implied by the area covered by the move. Hope I did a good job, though!

That imperative at the end is directed both to the players, and the developers. There are endless extra tricks that could potentially be added to the Smash version to increase versatility and depth.
In particular, I notably intentionally omitted recovery as an example, as the move's aerial behavior is unprecedented, and there's quite a lot that could be done with it.
There's also a question of what would happen when her head hits a wall (or if it touches a floor before her feet, if she's falling). The most obvious answer would just be for it to ignore and pass through surfaces, as other moves do. But, it could instead cause her to bounce away, perhaps creating some new AT's.
Gameplay-wise, I think Sukapon is the most potentially unique character the PMBR could possibly add.

My sig supports ya to the fullest man.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87

Just wondering, didn't you agree to refer to Sukapon as "it" earlier? ;)

Dr. Bran

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2062-9647-8749
And now, A Shadow Moment:
A good way to incorporate Shadow with the clone engine is to make him a clone of sonic. "Wul Durrrrrrr, idiot!" Well, not exactly. I think that most of Shadow's A moves would use the same effect as Lucario's aura, but with a fixed power and some red highlights. His up-B could be a teleportation move, Side-B and Down-B would be more powerful versions of Sonic's (but would only hit once for balance), and his Neutral-B would be a projectile of some sort. Good ideas? Okay for cloning? Oh, and I don't know what the heck his final smash should be, because he has, like, a billion different powers and forms. Maybe just his assist trophy move. Tell me what you guys think.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
A good way to incorporate Shadow with the clone engine is to make him a clone of sonic. "Wul Durrrrrrr, idiot!" Well, not exactly. I think that most of Shadow's A moves would use the same effect as Lucario's aura, but with a fixed power and some red highlights. His up-B could be a teleportation move, Side-B and Down-B would be more powerful versions of Sonic's (but would only hit once for balance), and his Neutral-B would be a projectile of some sort. Good ideas? Okay for cloning? Oh, and I don't know what the heck his final smash should be, because he has, like, a billion different powers and forms. Maybe just his assist trophy move. Tell me what you guys think.
My advice to you

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
This post may interest you.

http://smashboards.com/threads/clon...results-3-15-14.341479/page-293#post-16522256

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
While I don't particularly care for Shadow to be frank, can I just say your avatar is glorious?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So yeah. Ninten is cool and stuff. In the right thread this time.

Maybe I should actually take a look at your moveset, Shin.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Banjodorf, I love your sig,
Anyways, I started as a mother main, so the idea of a new one sounds like a fresh amount of fun... at least from a gameplay perspective. So a mother inbetween sounds great.

...But honestly, I'm really excited for the idea of a brand new character with no meta behind it. It may sound crazy, and 100% arrogant, but I want the potential to define a characters metagame with no "role models" or anything. The idea of a new character with a blank slate, neither Melee or Brawl, sounds really tempting.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That's part of the reason I find the concept of these new characters so interesting for P:M.

Getting to see brand new characters to the series develop their metagame in a competitively-geared Smash game. Such hype. Much fun. Wow.

Dr. Bran

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2062-9647-8749
That's part of the reason I find the concept of these new characters so interesting for P:M.

Getting to see brand new characters to the series develop their metagame in a competitively-geared Smash game. Such hype. Much fun. Wow.
This is why Slippy needs to be his own character. (Actually, I don't care If he's a Fox clone or not. I just want to beat him up)

Shin F.

Smash Master
So yeah. Ninten is cool and stuff. In the right thread this time.

Maybe I should actually take a look at your moveset, Shin.
It's in the middle-bottom of my sig whenever you want to look :) Saito had a take on it, too. I put them all into one post so it's easy to look at. I even did a bunch of sketches of a full potential moveset.

Edit: Does anyone know why sigs sometimes only show for our first post on the page?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom