• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
And that's the problem with brawl's model, his proportions are just awkward.
I think he shouldn't have that lanky body, and give him more buffed limbs, torso and neck (like in other m don't hurt me) with a smaller head.
I agree that he needs bulk. That being said.. I think he looks cooler how he does in Brawl. Its my favorite Ridley design to date. God forbid the PMBR try to use Other M's actual model.. That pink, prepubescent-hulk hogan look did not please me.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
What's Elsword like? I played Grand Chase once then never again. It wasn't that i didn't like it but i just didn't commit to it.
I actually play this game regularly. As I said above, it has a blend of styles. It is pretty much like taking a Smash Bros like environment and gameplay style, mixing it with a traditional fighter / beat em up, and giving it MMO elements. The game relies more on a players actual skill than the skill set provided by leveling up. That is not to say the skills aren't useful though. Everything lays out for the convenience of the player. You can even choose how you would like to progress through the game:

-Dungeon Leveling
-Field Enemy Grinding
-PvP
-A mix of all or any of the above

Also, as mentioned by Rasgar, Elsword's gameplay has greatly improved from the concept of Grand Chase. Everything is much more precise and smooth. The combat and PvP especially. The best way to explain it is that Grand Chase is like Smash 64 and Elsword is like Melee.

The only downfall is the Stamina Meter which does not allow you to run dungeons or fields once it hits zero for the day. Which isn't a big issue for people who don't have all day to play the game. Even then, you can still run PvP if you feel like playing more. Or if you've collected a special type of coin enough times, you can exchange them for potions that refill that Stamina.

As for the characters:
Elsword
The title character of the game, and the standard swordsman class.

"Elsword is a master swordsman that excels at close range combat. He's quick on his feet, and can hack and slash with the best of them. Not only can he dish it out but he can take a lot of punishment as well. His only real weakness is magic but in his mind, there's nothing a sharp piece of steel can't beat."

Aisha
The standard mage class character.

"Aisha is a mage who relies on her spell-casting abilities to inflict major damage to an opponent. She also has the abilities to attack multiple targets at once. All of the Mage's spells are elemental, meaning she can gain an advantage by tailoring her attacks to a monsters natural element. In hand to hand combat, she favors the staff."

Rena
The combat archer class.

"Rena is a marksman with ranged weapons but can call on the elements to fuel her magic attacks as well. When cornered though, she has no problem striking enemies with her awesome kicks. She also has the ability to seemingly fly through the air with her double jump."

Raven
Your quintessential bad@ss friendly rival, who is the technical swordsman with robot arm class.

"Raven excels in close combat as he uses his Nasod (a robot race from the lore of Elsword) arm to strike down enemies with a single blow to those who dare get near him. He also uses his sword to slice up anything in his path in order to build up all sorts of combos to tear down the enemy."

Eve
The technical oddball class, like a summoner or mechanic.

"Eve may not look tough like the others, but she uses her powers of machinery to take down enemy forces for her. Since Eve is the Queen of Nasods, she can summon Nasods from her kingdom to aid her in her battle."

Chung
Your heavy, cannoneer, gunslinger, tank class character.

"Chung’s weapon is the big cannon called the Destroyer, and his armor is the full body panoply called Freiturnier. In spite of his young and delicate looks, he can freely handle the big cannon with a tough combat style. His creed: no innocent human will get hurt under his watch."

Ara
A martial artist, spearman class built for speed.

"Ara is a skilled martial artist that uses a spear. She is a highly versatile character, with extremely long melee attack range, as well as superior attack speed and mobility. Having an air-dash in addition to the double jump, Ara's aerial mobility rivals that of Eve, who is known for having remarkable overall movement freedom. Her range also allows her to catch enemies in her combos from a safe distance, and even hit enemies behind, above, and below her easily. Ara also has a unique trait to her different from others, as she uses "Spirit Energy" which can be used as substitution of MP."

Elesis
If Elsword is Ike, then Elesis would be Roy. The main character of Grand Chase, sister of Elsword, and Claymore class swordsman.

"Elesis is as fierce as she is calculated, expressing sedate attacks with her claymore onto her enemies. Although wielding a mighty claymore, Elesis herself is agile. She is able to evade and gap close with extreme effect unlike her brother Elsword, who incorporates a more defensive fighting-style. In addition to her swordplay, Elesis is capable of harnessing and expressing energy into fire, enhancing her combat effectiveness."

Add (Currently unreleased, next character for NA Elsword)
The deceptive appearance character. Appears a mechanic, is really a brawler.

"Staying true to his concept of being a mechanic, Add fully utilize his mechanized weapon; the 'Nasod Dynamo', to aid him in battle. The Dynamos are not only able to physically hurt targets, but are also able to shoot out electricity. As a ranged alternative, his dynamos can also be configured to form a electricity cannon by the same way. Add is also able to either fire electrical bullets with his hand inside the cannon or kick out a powerful electrical rocket. This allows his attack style to freely transition between long and close range attacks. Another aspect of Add is that some of his skills have the concept of 'Magnetism', allowing numerous homing attacks which compensates for his low HP and physical defense values."

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I agree that he needs bulk. That being said.. I think he looks cooler how he does in Brawl. Its my favorite Ridley design to date. God forbid the PMBR try to use Other M's actual model.. That pink, prepubescent-hulk hogan look did not please me.
Of course, i was just saying that they should take inspiration from his various appearances like his Other M body proportions, Brawl/Super Metroid head (but smaller) and things like that.

Mowg

Smash Cadet
Aesthetics persist..... :rolleyes:

Ok. Metroid Prime´s Meta Ridley is my favoirte. Just don´t give him any wing attacks and have no wing hurtboxes. Then you would have a fairly daunting villain, but not as much as if he would enter the fighting cage with Brüno (Other M Ridley).

Last edited:

Mowg

Smash Cadet
Here´s an idea for Ridley´s final smash:

Ridley flies up out of sight beyond the playing field. Then there is his winged-cretin shadow moving over the stage. When the shadow lines up with the opponent, the player simply inputs the command, and Ridley´s going to merc whoever is unfortunate to be in his shadow. The shadow only passes through the stage once, if you don´t input the command then you lose the opportunity. The final smash should not be too hard to avoid for the opponent but not too easy either.

This reminds me of how when you first get to the snow level of Metroid Prime you see Meta-Ridley´s shadow fly over in a chilling silence. All other sounds should be muted when Ridley´s finals smash is in effect.

Marthmario

Smash Lord

Ridley flies up out of sight beyond the playing field. Then there is his winged-cretin shadow moving over the stage. When the shadow lines up with the opponent, the player simply inputs the command, and Ridley´s going to merc whoever is unfortunate to be in his shadow. The shadow only passes through the stage once, if you don´t input the command then you lose the opportunity. The final smash should not be too hard to avoid for the opponent but not too easy either.

This reminds me of how when you first get to the snow level of Metroid Prime you see Meta-Ridley´s shadow fly over in a chilling silence. All other sounds should be muted when Ridley´s finals smash is in effect.
YES!

Last edited:

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman

While that would be cool, I don't know if the PMBR would be able to program something like that.

I think the best we can hope for is Meta Ridley.

Last edited:

Mowg

Smash Cadet
More like

Not

While that would be cool, I don't know if the PMBR would be able to program something like that.

That´s an accurate induction, unfortunately for me. I´m not talking about a perfect-physics looking shadow. Most of my ideas I try to deliver underhanded, Asking for a pitch-perfect looking shadow of Ridley would be like asking the bartender at the restaurant where I work to make me an arnold palmer during a rush. I never play this game with items anyway I really don´t care about final smashes because some are better than others and that goes against P:M´s credo.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Tingle would actually be pretty awesome. Considering he has his own series in Japan which has kind of inherited Balloon Trip. I mean, if cleverly designed he could present a really cool move set.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord

Probably not, because alternate forms are actually considered different characters, so that's a lot of space needed, even if the PMBR will use a clone engine that goes beyond the original clone engine character limit. (lol dat mysterious #47) I'd rather have Meta Ridley as an alt costume anyway.

Last edited:

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman

When you explained this to me i just got the most bad*** visual in my head. I can't replicate the details but the best way to describe it is to picture a hybrid of ikes 0hit ko, metaknights final smash.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Tingle would actually be pretty awesome...if cleverly designed he could present a really cool move set.
SOLBLIMINAL, TINGLE ICON PLEASE

You don't actually have to do this unless you're really bored and also want to. This post is mostly a joke. Mostly.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
That's because no voting.

I should do another Pichu rant to stir up this threads inner salt.

I do have a few words to say on it though...

Pichu actually might be in the works but be taking the most amount of time for two potential reasons.

1. They are trying to retain what made Pichu; Pichu.
in this development process the PMBR would be working on keeping Pichu intact but trying to balance him out to be competitively viable. Which in itself is far more difficult than adding someone like mewtwo because they have to go through matchups, move changes, property changes that don't ruin his core, while changing his shortcomings.

2. They are heavily revamping Pichu
They would have to give him a different Niche to fill than Pikachu while not making him overshadow him. Along with keeping some of his gimmicks, they'd be changing them, and seeing how they work. With Mewtwo and Roy all they mostly had to do was buff some moves accordingly and change a few here and there. If they were to take this route with Pichu, it could take an extremely large amount of time because of all the variables they have to do.

e.g. changing properties, seeing how they mesh well together, making sure they aren't broken, making sure they can't be exploited somehow.

It might be as problematic as making Lucas' moveset.

Last edited:

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
That's because no voting.

I should do another Pichu rant to stir up this threads inner salt.

I do have a few words to say on it though...

Pichu actually might be in the works but be taking the most amount of time for two potential reasons.

1. They are trying to retain what made Pichu; Pichu.
in this development process the PMBR would be working on keeping Pichu intact but trying to balance him out to be competitively viable. Which in itself is far more difficult than adding someone like mewtwo because they have to go through matchups, move changes, property changes that don't ruin his core, while changing his shortcomings.

2. They are heavily revamping Pichu
They would have to give him a different Niche to fill than Pikachu while not making him overshadow him. Along with keeping some of his gimmicks, they'd be changing them, and seeing how they work. With Mewtwo and Roy all they mostly had to do was buff some moves accordingly and change a few here and there. If they were to take this route with Pichu, it could take an extremely large amount of time because of all the variables they have to do.

It might be as problematic as making Lucas' moveset.
At least there is hope for Pichu. (Even if it is somewhat grasping at straws)

Mowg

Smash Cadet
La sal está real. But if they would revamp Pichu like Saito anticipates then i'd be open to the idea. He would need a lot more work than that was put into mew2 & roy thats for sure.

Mowg

Smash Cadet
I personally dont like these 1/2 votes because i anticipate they will gather more votes for the popular series(dixie, isaac, ridley, pichu) and take more potential votes for the less-popular series (ninten, masked man, sukapon). It will give a lot of extra votes to characters who dont need them.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
I personally dont like these 1/2 votes because i anticipate they will gather more votes for the popular series(dixie, isaac, ridley, pichu) and take more potential votes for the less-popular series (ninten, masked man, sukapon). It will give a lot of extra votes to characters who dont need them.
If the system were up to me i would do it in rounds like this:

Round 1
Choose the one character you think definitely deserves to be in.

Display Results

Round 2
Choose two other characters that you think should be playable. Your answer from Round 1 shouldn't be repeated.

Display Individual and Totaled Results

Round 3

Choose the one character you want to be in the least.

Round 4

Choose two characters that you could be persuaded on either way.

Display Individual and Final Results

Shin F.

Smash Master
If the system were up to me i would do it in rounds like this:

Round 1
Choose the one character you think definitely deserves to be in.

Display Results

Round 2
Choose two other characters that you think should be playable. Your answer from Round 1 shouldn't be repeated.

Round 3
Choose the one character you want to be in the least.

Round 4
Choose two characters that you could be persuaded on either way.

Display Individual and Final Results
That is far, far too restrictive.

As Friesnchip said, a few of us have gotten together and are working out a few details, then we'll begin accepting votes again. Anti Guy has shared his spreadsheet with us, so votes from before will carry over.

Last edited:

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Tingle would actually be pretty awesome. Considering he has his own series in Japan which has kind of inherited Balloon Trip. I mean, if cleverly designed he could present a really cool move set.
N Special: Kooloo-Limpah!, seems to be nothing at all, Tingle does his special magic and throws up a bunch of magic sparkles ... 1 in 100 chance that this move will cause Tingle to become under the effects of a Smash Ball. Special, Tingle must press the attack button again to use this Smash Power, if he is attacked, there is a chance a Smash Ball will is knocked out of him, even if Smash Balls are turned off!

S Special: Say Cheese!, Tingle pulls out one of his father's Pictographes and takes a picture in front of him, anyone caught in the flash will be stunned, acts similar to Mewtwo's Disable.

D Special: Kooloo Balloon!, Tingle inflates his special balloon, having an inflated balloon gives Tingle improved jumping, but makes him much more floaty, also can be used in conjunction to his U Special. If inflated too much, it will explode overtop of him, you know it's about to explode when Tingle panics, ducks, and covers his ears. Mild damage on Tingle but can do severe damage on anyone caught in the explosion. Balloon can be popped by other fighters.

U Special: Up, Up, and Away!, Tingle leap, leap, LEAPS into the air! If Tingle has a balloon, he can leap very high, the balloon on his back knocking enemies, bouncing them away! If Tingle uses this move without a balloon, he will just give a leap into the air not realizing his balloon isn't inflated, and fall to the ground with a THUNK, stunned for a second, like how he reacts to having his balloon shot down in Majora's Mask.

Final Smash: Rosy Rupeeland!, Tingle summons his great mentor, Uncle Rupee, to rain endless rupees from the heavens, they only fall where Tingle moves, and the dangerous sharp gems cut and slash anyone unfortunate enough to get in their way! Make it rain, Tingle, make it rain!

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Sukapon is composed of multiple disconnected pieces. Because of this, with correct positioning, she might avoid an enemy's attacks by allowing them to slip right through the gaps. These pieces float independently, so she might use her attacks to quickly and drastically rearrange them, moving them out of harms way without actually moving.
Some fairly basic examples of these principles are depicted below.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
That is far, far too restrictive.

As Friesnchip said, a few of us have gotten together and are working out a few details, then we'll begin accepting votes again. Anti Guy has shared his spreadsheet with us, so votes from before will carry over.
Ahhhh. That makes things much easier.

Spleenhunter

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this is possible, but making the new characters unlockable by doing certain things in VS mode would be really hype. Imagine playing a match and then a new character that hasn't even been revealed yet challenges you. My favorite moments from playing Melee the first time through were discovering the new characters.
Considering that PM has no unique save data, this might be a bit challenging. Maybe there could be two slightly different codes, with a quick update from the launcher menu that would toggle the "locked character" option once you want to start with all the characters.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I don't know if this is possible, but making the new characters unlockable by doing certain things in VS mode would be really hype. Imagine playing a match and then a new character that hasn't even been revealed yet challenges you. My favorite moments from playing Melee the first time through were discovering the new characters.
Considering that PM has no unique save data, this might be a bit challenging. Maybe there could be two slightly different codes, with a quick update from the launcher menu that would toggle the "locked character" option once you want to start with all the characters.
Locked costumes tho

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
While we're at it, let's lock use of the L and R buttons. No rolling, shielding, air dodging, or wavedashing until you beat Subspace.

...oh wait :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom