• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Since we'll all know the Smash 4 roster this summer, I think we can all expect a new character reveal around Christmas at the latest.

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
I would hope for before E3, so that if they have a character that they are working on right now that is going to be in SM4SH, then they wouldn't have to flush their hard work down the drain.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Well my uncle-mom works for Nintendo and it says that Sakurai rejected all of the PMBR's applications.

Can confirm.
Well my uncle-dad Gabe Newell said that was only a publicity stunt so he could get the credit for things like Wii Fit Trainer's Deep Breathing, which is just a better Offense Up from Project M Lucas.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Well my uncle-mom works for Nintendo and it says that Sakurai rejected all of the PMBR's applications.

Can confirm.
MY MOM DAD WORKS INSIDE OF SAKURAI'S GENITALS AND TOLD ME THAT HES GOT SOME SERIOUS MOJO GOING DOWN.

The truth is the PMBR is out celebrating 4/20 and they're going to get home and release a demo because they're too high to call out their own mistake. So expect an extremely glitchy PM that includes Slippy Toad to be released.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Suckurai confirmed Danny Trejo for Super Smash Bros 4: Project M. He is eligible because he isn't anAssist Trophy in Smash 64 and was deconfirmed in Cooking Mama.

Can confirm.

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
MY MOM DAD WORKS INSIDE OF SAKURAI'S GENITALS AND TOLD ME THAT HES GOT SOME SERIOUS MOJO GOING DOWN.

The truth is the PMBR is out celebrating 4/20 and they're going to get home and release a demo because they're too high to call out their own mistake. So expect an extremely glitchy PM that includes Slippy Toad to be released.
Well my reliable septic tank is the PMBR's cat-niece and it says that they are just eating burgers at Ihop while working on the latest character: The pencil sharpener.
OF DOOM
Can confirm.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Do you folks think they've already decided the roster? They'll obviously have to have some back-ups in case some seemingly-impossible characters get confirmed, but I think, for the most part, the big choices are all pretty much counted out of Smash 4's roster.

And I'm going to have to say that the top-however-many should be the ones they pick. What's the point of letting us vote if they're just going to do whatever they please?

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Do you folks think they've already decided the roster? They'll obviously have to have some back-ups in case some seemingly-impossible characters get confirmed, but I think, for the most part, the big choices are all pretty much counted out of Smash 4's roster.

And I'm going to have to say that the top-however-many should be the ones they pick. What's the point of letting us vote if they're just going to do whatever they please?
All this poll was made to do was display what the community is okay with. It gives the PMBR a good idea of what the fans would like to see. And the PMBR did say they would likely pick a character based on popularity and other factors. It doesn't hurt to be a fan and voice your opinion.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord

Technically we only voted amongst ourselves, it's not an official vote started by the Project M Backroom.

Though yeah, seeing as this was a popularity contest it could tell them who most people would want for the next update, so it at least gives them the information that people really, REALLY want Isaac and Ridley. It could also indicate to them that we are very split on Black Shadow / Ganondorf thing, which should be an indicator to them to maybe not try it if they think the change will be too controversial.

Overall, this vote tally's purpose is to just indicate a lot of things. Not really anything more.

Edit: Greninja'd

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Ah, I was unaware that the vote was unofficial.

I don't think Ganondorf needs so much of an overhaul that it would require making him an entirely new character. That seems extremely silly.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Ah, I was unaware that the vote was unofficial.

I don't think Ganondorf needs so much of an overhaul that it would require making him an entirely new character. That seems extremely silly.
Hardcore Zelda fans usually disagree. The fact Ganondorf is cloned from Captain Falcon made a lot of Zelda fans upset and want something that is more reminiscent of Ganondorf from canon Zelda games, using sword, trident, and dark magic.

MLGF

Smash Lord
I dunno, talking about Isaac and Ridley for 50 pages sounds pretty hype.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Hardcore Zelda fans usually disagree. The fact Ganondorf is cloned from Captain Falcon made a lot of Zelda fans upset and want something that is more reminiscent of Ganondorf from canon Zelda games, using sword, trident, and dark magic.
I suppose I'm just less refined than other hardcore Zelda fans, then. :laugh:

Brute Ganon seems to fit his character fairly well. Yes, he definitely needs more magic attacks, but the fact that he foregoes any weapons training and prefers to beat his opponents to death with his bare goddamn hands seems plenty fitting to me. Even in battles where he uses weapons, he still tends to knock Link around himself quite a bit.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I dunno, talking about Isaac for 50 pages sounds pretty hype.
Fixed for accuracy.

I suppose I'm just less refined than other hardcore Zelda fans, then. :laugh:
More like, easier to satisfy. Which nothing is wrong with that, but neither is wanting Ganondorf to be his own character. By the end of the day, it was Sakurai's fault for exposing people to Ganondorf as a Falcon clone from the start.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
True. Screwy priorities are certainly some of the biggest problems with the Smash Series "Prime".
Not like it should really be a big deal. Mario fans have to put up with F.L.U.U.D as a change, and now Smash 4 is pushing the limits of what change really is. This is something that everybody should be used to by now. Expect to see Ganondorf get overhauled in Smash 4 after that major change with Sheik and Zelda.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Ganon's move set makes him seem clunky and dimwitted, even in PM. The constipated sfx do him no favors. I think a Ganon based off of Wind Waker would be sick nasty, considering there's never been a double wielder before.

I don't understand why reimagining Ganon would require Blak Shadow. Sure Ganon mains would be at a loss. But it's not as if everybody in Project M has had to reimagine their strategy at some point along the way due to changes.

Bubble Berry

Smash Rookie
I think it's kind of ludicrous that Pichu is the only melee veteran NOT to be transferred into Project M. The mere fact that there is Dr. Mario, who is literally just Mario with some very slight changes in damage values and different animations. Hell I'd want it if for no other reason that they add new characters when they can find the time just to keep things fun and interesting, even if it means those characters may not be allowed in actual competitive play with their release in the early stages due to balance issues. I get it's a lot of work, but I honestly don't see a negative side (at least from the community's point of view) to him being added. I think, if for no other reason, to be a true and almost perfect Brawl-Melee lovechild, it is necessary to have all the characters plenty of us know and love, even if some people don't. Pokemon is a huge part of the Nintendo franchise, same as the Super Mario series, so it makes sense that there would be a lot of character slots for these games, but I don't think that honestly causes a negative impact on the game towards anything other than file size.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Ganon's move set makes him seem clunky and dimwitted, even in PM. The constipated sfx do him no favors. I think a Ganon based off of Wind Waker would be sick nasty, considering there's never been a double wielder before.

I don't understand why reimagining Ganon would require Blak Shadow. Sure Ganon mains would be at a loss. But it's not as if everybody in Project M has had to reimagine their strategy at some point along the way due to changes.
This being said, Black Shadow could be a skin...albeit modified to fit Ganon's body type in PM. And Ganon's moveset in general could generally use a change, something more inspired at the least. I dunno how controversial Sword Mode would be, but ideas like that are a step in the right direction. Even moves inspired from Phantom Ganon aren't out of the question, seeing as how some characters in the Smash series use moves that didn't EXACTLY originate from the character themselves (Ness and Lucas' Psy Moves, the Zero Laser and MULTIPLE final smashes, things like Villager's Balloon Fight recovery)

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Young Link hasn't been, either. I think they're both equally large wastes of resources and space.
Young link was mostly incorporated into Toon Link

Pikachu pretty much stayed Pikachu.

How difficult would it be to make a slightly larger Pichu with a slightly different move set as a skin for Pikachu?
I'm pretty sure they can't just have a costume with modified moves. Apparently the case with mario's fireballs to pills was a special case.

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
Young Link hasn't been, either. I think they're both equally large wastes of resources and space.
Then you clearly don't have much imagination.

How difficult would it be to make a slightly larger Pichu with a slightly different move set as a skin for Pikachu?
That's against the rules. You can't have an alt that is a different character entirely.

Ninja'd

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Then you clearly don't have much imagination.
So, because I don't think giving Pichu Flail or Discharge is a revolutionary, game-changing idea, I don't have much imagination?

k

Pichu should not exist purely because it has potential or because it was a thing in Melee. Every character has potential. Pichu is no different from Dark Samus, Blood Falcon, Slippy, or Ninten, besides the fact that it has already appeared in a Smash game. My opinion is that Pokemon has enough to work with, and that Pichu's potential "Damage = Offense" gimmick isn't worth leaving out other characters with similar or greater potential who haven't already been portrayed in an official Smash or ever will be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom