• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
My apologies if this idea seems stupid, but wouldnt it be a good idea to go for an under repped series?
IE- metroid, mother/earthbound,etc.
I feel the games who have 3 reps already should be on the lower end of the list, but thats just me.

Though, as a counter arguement to myself, the character who would have the most unique moveset should get priority.. Damnit! Just tell us already PMBR! ;-;
This, and it's not stupid in any possible way, especially for Metroid, as mentioned before, a franchise criminally underrepped.

Last edited:

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
This, and it's not stupid in any possible way, especially for Metroid, as mentioned before, a franchise criminally underrepped.
I wouldn't say Metroid is under repped. 2 of the games bosses belong to the metroid franchise. There is 1 assist trophy from it and there is 1 item that is from it. Not to mention the 5 stages and 2 characters. Please understand (lol) that while there are other franchises that have waaaaay more representation, Metroid is fine as is. You can argue that ridley should be playable but don't provide "under representation" for reasoning. Dankey Kung is under repped. Metroid is not.

Last edited:

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
I understand how important Metroid is and the impact it had. But really....How much unique content from metroid can you add into the game while making it fit. For characters 2 maybe 3, it's debatable. Assist trophies you could probably add a bunch (4-7), items meh (1-3), stages you'd probably have more of (4+) and bosses (3+). I personally don't see Metroid as a series that needs to be repped by the number of playable characters but rather how much other content is in the game that it's from. The only two consistent personalities in Metroid are Samus and Ridley. Again, it's debatable whether Rid deserves to be playable or not but honestly if Metroid is lacking anything it's another stage or two, some items and a bunch of AT's.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say Metroid is under repped. 2 of the games bosses belong to the metroid franchise. There is 1 assist trophy from it and there is 1 item that is from it. Not to mention the 5 stages and 2 characters. Please understand (lol) that while there are other franchises that have waaaaay more representation, Metroid is fine as is. You can argue that ridley should be playable but don't provide "under representation" for reasoning. Dankey Kung is under repped. Metroid is not.
Sure Metroid has a fairly good representation i some aspects, like stages, but when it comes to playable characters it falls pretty short.
I don't count ZSS as a second Metroid char, she's just Samus with another playstyle.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Sure Metroid has a fairly good representation i some aspects, like stages, but when it comes to playable characters it falls pretty short.
I don't count ZSS as a second Metroid char, she's just Samus with another playstyle.
Ok well now your limiting your options. Sure zero suit may not be the character metroid deserves, but she's the one it needs.
Ridley is debatable. The rest are AT status.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Ok well now your limiting your options. Sure zero suit may not be the character metroid deserves, but she's the one it needs.
Ridley is debatable. The rest are AT status.
Boi, I barely give two ****s about Metroid and I know for a fact what you be spouting is bologna. Any of the Hunters are unique characters. Dark Samus is a unique character, despite the name. Ridley has been a highly requested character since way back when. Metroid needs some content bro. Something that isn't the same character canonically. I can feel for you Metroid'ies.

AT Status. Let sakurai make the decision.
This is Project M. Not Smash 4.

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
AT Status. Let sakurai make the decision.
Sakurai is not developing P:M though.
And Prime subseries is always put in second plane by Sakurai. Dark Samus is far more important and could be a perfect character choice.
However i gotta say that at this point Ridley deserves the spot more out of other Metroid characters. (even though i personally want Dark Samus the most)

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Boi, I barely give two ****s about Metroid and I know for a fact what you be spouting is bologna. Any of the Hunters are unique characters. Dark Samus is a unique character, despite the name. Ridley has been a highly requested character since way back when. Metroid needs some content bro. Something that isn't the same character canonically. I can feel for you Metroid'ies.
Sure they're unique in a game or two. In the entire series? It's all about samus and rid. They deserve content i agree. All the hunters should be AT's, and they should get more stages.
This is Project M. Not Smash 4.
Exactly. The BR will operate more like a professional developer than a community based mod group. The community says "put in dark samus". Sakurai said "lol nope but have an AT". The BR will say "meh, sorry guys we're with sak on this one." From a developing standpoint there are other characters that should get in before Dark Samus does.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Sure they're unique in a game or two. In the entire series? It's all about samus and rid. They deserve content i agree. All the hunters should be AT's, and they should get more stages.

Exactly. The BR will operate more like a professional developer than a community based mod group. The community says "put in dark samus". Sakurai said "lol nope but have an AT". The BR will say "meh, sorry guys we're with sak on this one."
Uhh no. That's exactly how this does NOT work. If we listened to what bs you're saying, Roy and Mewtwo wouldn't be a thing. And that is simply because Sakurai was "lol nope, moving to next gen characters". Your logic is seriously flawed.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Metroid is under repped. ZSS does the series no favors IMO. DK could use a character, I think K. Rool would be great. And I, (I know a lot disagree) think Mother is poorly repped, considering the lack of differences between Luke and Ness movewise, and it's an extremely original franchise that has so much to offer, but little of that was used. That's why Ninten and Masked Man are my two favorite Clone Engine choices.

Last edited:

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Uhh no. That's exactly how this does NOT work. If we listened to what bs you're saying, Roy and Mewtwo wouldn't be a thing. And that is simply because Sakurai was "lol nope, moving to next gen characters".
Of course Roy and Mewtwo would be a thing. Mewtwo is already most likely making a return for smash 4 but that's besides the point.

Yes this is a community mod.
No this isn't a mod ran by the community.

They will act as professionally as possible to deliver the best possible product based on the experience that all of us enjoy. Roy and Mewtwo being added in would have happened regardless of whether the community said yay or nay. This mod is based off of melee and as such they're going to try and pay as much tribute to melee as possible by representing all of the characters that were once in but aren't anymore. Mewtwo and Roy both had unique playstyles in their melee environment which is why they were readded. It wasn't because of community outcry.

Also Sakurai isn't just adding characters from new games. He's adding characters who deserve representation in smash from the impact they had. That's precisely why charizard got in and squirtle and ivy didn't.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
...we seriously arguing if Ridley deserves to be in?

Because there is literally no question that he is. He's the (highly requested) Bowser of a series that has fewer reps than Star Fox, yet has sold exponentially more and is leagues more popular, as well has having about double the games. The PMBR has (more than likely) decided that this game is getting its own characters, and who better than to add to the game's appeal than one of the most (if not the most) requested characters in Smash history? Especially since Mewtwo's suddenly looking like a no-show for Smash 4.

I mean, seriously. Smash 4 can have its "unique" choices that nobody really wanted, and P:M can have the more obvious ones that Sakurai is too stupid to add didn't get picked (i.e., Mewtwo, Ridley). It's not like these characters lack moveset potential.

Just saying, not adding Ridley would be missing a huge opportunity for publicity and popularity. It would basically be saying "We did what Sakurai couldn't/didn't want to, come check us out". Project M trumps the other installments in every way ever (except graphically, in 4's case), so why not the roster, too?

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Of course Roy and Mewtwo would be a thing. Mewtwo is already most likely making a return for smash 4 but that's besides the point.

They will act as professionally as possible to deliver the best possible product based on the experience that all of us enjoy. Roy and Mewtwo being added in would have happened regardless of whether the community said yay or nay. This mod is based off of melee and as such they're going to try and pay as much tribute to melee as possible by representing all of the characters that were once in but aren't anymore. Mewtwo and Roy both had unique playstyles in their melee environment which is why they were readded. It wasn't because of community outcry.
I doubt Mewtwo would make it in the roster... I see Nintendo making him a Stage Boss as his Mega transformations.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
No Lyn
No Saki
No Dark Samus
No Ashley
No Waluigi
No Goroh
No Starfy
No Knuckle Joe
No Midna
No Skull Kid

Sakurai said so

Last edited:

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Metroid is under repped. ZSS does tr series no favors IMO. DK could use a character, I think K. Rook would be great. And I, (I know a lot disagree) think Mother is poorly repped, considering the lack of differences between Luke and Ness movewise, and it's an extremely original franchise that has so much to offer, but little of that was used. That's why Ninten and Masked Man are my two favorite Clone Engine choices.
Metroid is fine character wise. The only character that maybe deserves a spot is ridley. Every other character should be an AT and the series should get some stages.

DK deserves dixie before krool

Earthbound is certainly unique and i think they should get 1 or 2 more characters but maybe not in pm because there are other characters to be added.

Because there is literally no question that he is. He's the Bowser of a series that has fewer reps than Star Fox, yet has sold exponentially more and is leagues more popular, as well has having about double the games.
We're not arguing about ridley. I said that's debatable and i'm staying away from that discussion. I'm talking about why dark samus and all the other hunters should be an AT as opposed to a playable character.

I doubt Mewtwo would make it in the roster... I see Nintendo making him a Stage Boss as his Mega transformations.
Not gonna go too deep into it but out of all the Pokemon that made a huge impact, Mewtwo is easily in the top 3. His launch video from the PMBR was the most watched pm video for some time. Excluding his representation in the game would be a horrible move on his part. He should be trying to attract as many pm/melee players as possible. He deserves AT/Boss status minimum.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Metroid is under repped. ZSS does the series no favors IMO. DK could use a character, I think K. Rool would be great. And I, (I know a lot disagree) think Mother is poorly repped, considering the lack of differences between Luke and Ness movewise, and it's an extremely original franchise that has so much to offer, but little of that was used. That's why Ninten and Masked Man are my two favorite Clone Engine choices.
Oh, yeah, that reminds me. Since the revelation that Smash 4's roster is probably going to be garbage, I bet K. Rool isn't getting added either.

So, K. Rool, Ridley, Isaac, Ray...yeah, on those choices alone, I'd probably never play another Smash game.

Last edited:

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Oh, yeah, that reminds me. Since the revelation that Smash 4's roster is probably going to be garbage, I bet K. Rool isn't getting added either.
Blasphemy! But you are right about k rool not getting in but he really probably wouldn't have a good moveset anyway. I'll bet he's an AT or regular trophy if he gets in at all.

Because there is literally no question that he is. He's the (highly requested) Bowser of a series that has fewer reps than Star Fox, yet has sold exponentially more and is leagues more popular, as well has having about double the games. The PMBR has (more than likely) decided that this game is getting its own characters, and who better than to add to the game's appeal than one of the most (if not the most) requested characters in Smash history? Especially since Mewtwo's suddenly looking like a no-show for Smash 4.

I mean, seriously. Smash 4 can have its "unique" choices that nobody really wanted, and P:M can have the more obvious ones that Sakurai is too stupid to add didn't get picked (i.e., Mewtwo, Ridley). It's not like these characters lack moveset potential.

Just saying, not adding Ridley would be missing a huge opportunity for publicity and popularity. It would basically be saying "We did what Sakurai couldn't/didn't want to, come check us out". Project M trumps the other installments in every way ever (except graphically, in 4's case), so why not the roster, too?
A few things:
1. Dis aint about ridley. If you want to argue for him...idk give us like 10 minutes it'll probably escalate to that anyway. This is about the hunters and metroid representation.

2. 1 Mewtwo looking greninja reveal and all of a sudden the guy is doomed. Sakurai already said he's not putting everything on the table like he did with brawl. If there are 29 announced characters now, expect at least 10 finished secret characters ready to go. At this point he has probably already surpassed PM's character count or is about to with Mewtwo included.

3. Sakurai may be a troll but one thing he isn't is stupid. He knows about PM, he knows about the clone engine and he knows about our limitations. With the last direct he put the ball in the BR's court. Smash 4 is going to pull hype from the smash community regardless of whether pm releases an update or not. He told us his release intentions so now it is on the BR to try and ride the flux of smash newcomers with updated content and some never before played characters before smash 4 comes out. Once it does, it will be overshadowed whether we try to prevent it from happening or not. Sak will not include characters that nobody wants. He's going to add characters that made a huge impact that everybody loves. Another thing to consider is that he may have added potential characters from pm as a secret so that if we want to make him we can do so without warranting a C&D.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal

Metroid is fine character wise. The only character that maybe deserves a spot is ridley. Every other character should be an AT and the series should get some stages.

DK deserves dixie before krool

Earthbound is certainly unique and i think they should get 1 or 2 more characters but maybe not in pm because there are other characters to be added.

We're not arguing about ridley. I said that's debatable and i'm staying away from that discussion. I'm talking about why dark samus and all the other hunters should be an AT as opposed to a playable character.
Blasphemy! But you are right about k rool not getting in but he really probably wouldn't have a good moveset anyway. I'll bet he's an AT or regular trophy if he gets in at all.
Man, there are so many things wrong with what you are saying...I'm not going to even waste my time. I'll leave it up to someone else for once.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
She is one of the primary protagonists in the series and would create a much more diverse and interesting move set based on her unique personality. Plus as a player, you've experienced more Dixie screen time than K Rool screen time. For the most part her body structure can be modified based off of diddy's where K rool would be based off of DK? Rob? Ganon? Bowser? No thanks. Melee was a game based on movement and keeping with tradition PM favors precise movement. Dixie will more than likely have better movement options than K Rool. There are already issues with bowser and ganon due to their poor movement. Why create a character who falls under this category when you can just create one with satisfactory mobility. Shall i continue?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
There's a good chance that K. Rool could make it into Smash 4, anyways, and the return of the Kremlings helps his chances as well.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
There's a good chance that K. Rool could make it into Smash 4, anyways, and the return of the Kremlings helps his chances as well.
Perhaps. I think the kremlings may have represented his presence as a character but i would count on him being more of a boss character like the golden rock guy thing from the megaman stage

Last edited:

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.

/PMBR reaction

That post is literally perfect xD Maybe its because Bruce Almighty is my all time favorite movie, or maybe its because its soo effin true.

/Community reaction
That post is literally perfect xD Maybe its because Bruce Almighty is my all time favorite movie, or maybe its because its soo effin true.

-Edited because im a noob who apparently cannot quote correctly. :|

Last edited:

Spire

III
BRoomer
What exactly is wrong with what I'm saying?
There's nothing wrong with what you are saying. Metroid is well represented in Brawl with stages, trophies, stickers, music, and two playable characters. But that's just it. Two playable characters. Who happen to be the exact same canonical entity. As far as the roster goes, and considering Metroid's size as a franchise, it is safe to say the series is under-repped. Compare that to dusty Star Fox's three [individual] reps, or the supreme cult [and dead] RPG series Mother's two [individual] reps and you've got some questioning. Granted, Metroid is all about Samus vs. the universe. Considering so much of the series rests on Samus' suit-upgrading/changing, it makes sense that her two playable forms in Smash Bros. would be based on two radically different suits. Really, two versions of Samus accurately represent the Metroid series... but they don't best represent the Metroid series. Samus, Zero Suit Samus, and RIDLEY best represent the Metroid series. Having those three alone would seal the deal forever. They'd honestly never have to add another Metroid character again and all would be right in the universe.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
1. You are saying that Metroid, one of Nintendo's biggest franchises, doesn't need more reps.
2. You are saying the exact opposite of what the PMBR does.
1. If you check my post you'll see that i said Metroid is under represented in certain categories besides characters.
2. I'm not sure what specific quote you are referring to.

There's nothing wrong with what you are saying. Metroid is well represented in Brawl with stages, trophies, stickers, music, and two playable characters. But that's just it. Two playable characters. Who happen to be the exact same canonical entity. As far as the roster goes, and considering Metroid's size as a franchise, it is safe to say the series is under-repped. Compare that to dusty Star Fox's three [individual] reps, or the supreme cult [and dead] RPG series Mother's two [individual] reps and you've got some questioning. Granted, Metroid is all about Samus vs. the universe. Considering so much of the series rests on Samus' suit-upgrading/changing, it makes sense that her two playable forms in Smash Bros. would be based on two radically different suits. Really, two versions of Samus accurately represent the Metroid series... but they don't best represent the Metroid series. Samus, Zero Suit Samus, and RIDLEY best represent the Metroid series. Having those three alone would seal the deal forever. They'd honestly never have to add another Metroid character again and all would be right in the universe.
Right. But this isn't about Ridley. This is about the hunters.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
No. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that Metroid is fine representation wise but if Metroid were to get more representation in the form of playable characters there is only 1 debatable character and that is Ridley. If you want more representation from Metroid in the game then the hunters should be AT's and there should be more stages.

Last edited:

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
No. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that Metroid is fine representation wise but if Metroid were to get more representation in the form of playable characters there is only 1 debatable character and that is Ridley. If you want more representation from Metroid in the game then the hunters should be AT's and there should be more stages.
Dark Samus is also debatable.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Dark Samus is also debatable.
This is where i disagree. Dark Samus deserves to be an Assist Trophy or a Boss on a stage. He/She does not however deserve playable character representation. If Ridley were already in the game then i might debate you on the reasons why dark samus should or shouldn't be in but because Ridley is just debatable, Dark Samus' chances are that much lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom