• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
You do know that Sheik is a guy, right?

Unless you are in to that kind of stuff. I won't judge.
Sheik being a guy or girl is a whole different can of worms, and there's really no concrete answer to that. The trophy information from Brawl, for instance, clearly refers to Sheik as just a 'persona' of Zelda, meaning she's still female.

Melee Trophy Info: This is Zelda's alter ego. Using a variation of the name of the ancient Sheikah tribe, she appears before Link and teaches him melodies instrumental to his success. It's believed that she's not just a quick-change artist, but rather that she is able to instantaneously alter her clothing and her eye and skin color by using her magical skills.

Brawl Trophy Info: The persona Zelda adopted to escape from Ganondorf. She completely hid all traces of her Zelda identity and appeared to Link as the last member of the Sheikah tribe. She taught Link essential ocarina melodies and then vanished in an instant. She didn't appear very often--rather, she would show up to support Link in crucial situations.

EDIT: Ninja'd, told ya this topic was a can of worms.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
you heard it here first folks smash bros trophy info is more canon than the games from which characters originate

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
There was a really good page linked somewhere(probs in this thread, but might've been elsewhere) explaining Sheik's gender and why she is definitely a she.

Shin F.

Smash Master
you heard it here first folks smash bros trophy info is more canon than the games from which characters originate
Wait, wait, wait - you're telling me Zelda has a **** in the original games? That's news to me.

You guys, I never knew that all those people were right when they called Zelda a "he".

Last edited:

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
You had it right. Sheik's definitely a girl. I don't know what Cool Blue has been smoking lately, but I want some.
Taken from Zelda Wiki
"Sheik (pronounced /ˈʃiːk/SHEEK) is one of the last surviving Sheikah in Ocarina of Time. He[0] aids Link on his quest without really describing who he is or why he is doing so. He has great advice, wisdom, and knowledge of the world, making him an invaluable ally for Link. Sheik also teaches Link various warp songs with the use of his Harp."
Unless the people who wrote that article were smoking whoever knows what.

Also, is there a canonical source that refers to Sheik as a female? If there is, please point my head to it.

Edit: The Triforce of Power turned Ganondorf into a giant pig with dual swords, and that's cool, but turning a woman into a man? That's completely out of the question.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
I'm starting to think you never learned the difference between a boy and a girl.
I mean it's pretty widespread knowledge in the 21st century that biological sex and gender identity are not synonymous but I mean kudos on proving to everyone present that you're not really sure what you're talking about

Shin F.

Smash Master
Taken from Zelda Wiki
"Sheik (pronounced /ˈʃiːk/SHEEK) is one of the last surviving Sheikah in Ocarina of Time. He[0] aids Link on his quest without really describing who he is or why he is doing so. He has great advice, wisdom, and knowledge of the world, making him an invaluable ally for Link. Sheik also teaches Link various warp songs with the use of his Harp."
Unless the people who wrote that article were smoking whoever knows what.

Also, is there a canonical source that refers to Sheik as a female? If there is, please point my head to it.

Edit: The Triforce of Power turned Ganondorf into a giant pig with dual swords, and that's cool, but turning a woman into a man? That's completely out of the question.
Wiki's not canon, and besides that, you'll note that Sheik is also referred to as a she in later parts of the page.
I mean it's pretty widespread knowledge in the 21st century that biological sex and gender identity are not synonymous but I mean kudos on proving to everyone present that you're not really sure what you're talking about
We're not talking about gender identity, we're talking about Sheik's biological gender. Her gender identity is irrelevant, considering she specifically disguised every aspect of herself, and so any affiliation towards masculine or feminine identity is merely a part of the disguise.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Common sense dictates that Shiek is a girl.

Shiek was referred to with male pronouns by some characters in Ocarina of Time, but that was only a testament to how great the disguise was.

It's later revealed, however, that Shiek is the alter ego of Zelda.

Who is a woman.

So Shiek is a woman.

/stupid debate

Shin F.

Smash Master
Bleck has a point. It´s not just in the genitals but in the perception of the self, which encompasses ¨gender identity¨.
And as I said, Sheik is a disguise of Zelda. Her entire persona as Sheik was a disguise - any indication towards either gender identity is a part of the disguise. If you want to know Sheik's gender identity, you have to look at the real her - IE Zelda, who you'll note (while called a tomboy) is very feminine.

In-game references to her as a male are a part of the story to prevent the player from connecting her to Zelda. Much in the same way Samus was called a male the entire first Metroid game.

Last edited:

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman

Shiek was referred to with male pronouns by some characters in Ocarina of Time, but that was only a testament to how great the disguise was.

It's later revealed, however, that Shiek is the alter ego of Zelda.

Who is a woman.

So Shiek is a woman.

/stupid debate
Alright, fine. My mistake.

But still, the Triforce could turn her into a guy if necessary.

Bleck

Smash Master
We're not talking about gender identity, we're talking about Sheik's biological gender.
no I'm pretty sure that you're the only person whose talking about that because it's the only perception of the conversation in which you don't appear to be an enormous tool

Her gender identity is irrelevant, considering she specifically disguised every aspect of herself, and so any affiliation towards masculine or feminine identity is merely a part of the disguise.
yeah that's the point

the masculine identity is a part of the disguise

and sheik is the disguise

therefore sheik's masculine's identity makes sheik a man

common sense dictates that as was already said sheik's gender isn't the same thing as sheik's sex - the only frame of mind where the latter overrides the former is not really what I'd call common sense but rather common stupidity

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Okay look
Sheik was posing as a boy
That doesn't mean she wanted to be a boy
It was a temporary identity to stay alive
Gender identity is irrelevant

Bleck

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure that anybody with a furry avatar is literally incapable of understanding what 'trolling' means

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
like I guess let's all talk about how I'm such a ~troll~ and then everyone can dismiss me and continue having offensive perceptions of sex/gender concepts, sure

I miss when "trolling" people meant something other than "this person is saying I'm wrong and I'm too dumb to do anything but strawman their statements so they'll stop making me look like a moron"

Last edited:

Mowg

Smash Cadet
I´ve learned more about the legend of Zelda in this one night than I have in all the rest of my life just by observing some of you squatting on Ganon´s cueball noggin´, arguing. I think you´re all quite bright, but your playing pong with your self-importance. Take a break. It´s not worth it. This all started with Cool Blue´s funny troll but then everyone blew it up. forgive the vulgarity.

Last edited:

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
like I guess let's all talk about how I'm such a ~troll~ and then everyone can dismiss me and continue having offensive perceptions of sex/gender concepts, sure

I miss when "trolling" people meant something other than "this person is saying I'm wrong and I'm too dumb to do anything but strawman their statements so they'll stop making me look like a moron"
I am not saying you are right or wrong, I am saying the topic of Sheik's gender is a hot button that's caused flame wars elsewhere, such as Zelda forums, because many sources say different things, in Smash she's a girl, in the Manga its a guy, and in the game, they never actually say outright what Sheik is. In the end it just doesn't really matter and doesn't really have any pertinence in a New Character Discussion thread.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
yeah I really got that from the part where you said I was a troll yeah

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Now that that misadventure is over, how about we talk about, you know, clone engine characters?

I still don't know how Samurai Goroh could play, even though I gave him a half vote. F-Zero fans help me pls.

Bleck

Smash Master
make him a clone of marth but change like three of his moves and nobody will complain

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I understand gender identity just fine
Sheik's gender is not a case of that

EDIT:That took awhile to post
I do want to move on
Samurai Goroh could be a Falcon clone with a sword
S'all I got tho
Yw

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.