• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenericName

Smash Apprentice
But what would the point in having a thousand unique builds of PM be? That wouldn't work for tournaments, and I can promise you that it wouldn't be nearly as professional and balanced as what the PMBR could do.
I said A character. As in one. Not many... <.<

Yes, well - no ****, Sherlock. If you can find someone else capable of figuring out PMBR's Clone Engine, by all means - get them to use it. But it's a lot more complex than just accessing the empty slots. Hell, it took Dantarion - one of the best hackers in the community - years before he got the Clone Engine to a workable state. If you want to add your own clones, you're better off just using BrawlEx (which unfortunately isn't compatible with Project M).
You do know the entire thing is there? Kind of in the P:M files? And that the only reason you can't use the slots already is because they're locked by pmbr right? Therefore the only work would be unlocking those slots from the user side, and then character development begins. Yaaay.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
You do know the entire thing is there? Kind of in the P:M files? And that the only reason you can't use the slots already is because they're locked by pmbr right? Therefore the only work would be unlocking those slots from the user side, and then character development begins. Yaaay.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Even if the community managed to use the slots for their own purpose, nothing would change for the official releases, and as a result, for tournaments as well. Any personal additions would be purely for fun and there would be no point in becoming better with them (other than personal satisfaction).

GenericName

Smash Apprentice
There's no real reason a character created that was accepted by most of the community would not be allowed. No one said we have to adhere to only the characters in the mod, there just really arent any psas that are good enough.

Lets take "x" character. If it was on par quality of M2 and Roy, was widely accepted, and added to the game, what real reason would you have to deny the rules being changed other than "oh pmbr didn't make it so it's crap". Or something of the like.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I'm not saying that it's crap if the PMBR hasn't made it. It could be the best psa in the world, but if it's not added in the official release, than big events would most probably not include it in their tourneys. Now if the quality of the psa is truly top-notch (hence being widely accepted by many), then maybe the backroom could consider adding it/hiring the author. If not, then too bad.

GenericName

Smash Apprentice
I just meant dont use that as the reason. Wasn't trying to imply that you personally said that.

But if most of the community was accepting it, doesn't really make sense that TO's would not include it, or not even put it to a vote of the participants.

Project M is a mod after all. I dont undersand why they're so uptight about outsider people developing characters with the clone engine, or outsider content in general.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I just meant dont use that as the reason. Wasn't trying to imply that you personally said that.

But if most of the community was accepting it, doesn't really make sense that TO's would not include it, or not even put it to a vote of the participants.

Project M is a mod after all. I dont undersand why they're so uptight about outsider people developing characters with the clone engine, or outsider content in general.
Because they're trying to be legitimized within the competitive community and maintaining complete professionalism instead of changing things willy-nilly is absolutely integral to that end?

This is f***ing basic, people.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Yes, I do know that. You do know that there's more to it than just accessing the slots, right? There are slot-specific codes that are different for each character. Think about it logically. You're not just adding a character when you're doing this: You're adding an announcer call, a franchise mark, a victory theme (as well as their name on the top of the victory screen), and cosmetics. Then you have to know how to create a new Module file for the character, which almost no one would even know how to do! Even some of the most talented modders out there like Eternal Yoshi or Pikazz have a hard time modifying modules properly. You then have to know how to use the code to actually assign all of these things you've created to your new slot.

You then have to do extensive PSA work to ensure the character doesn't have conflicting graphics with whoever they're cloned from, replace their soundbank with the soundbank of a boss, then PSA the sounds so they use them. Then you have to balance the character, which is going to be hell without a dedicated team of testers like what PMBR has. Along with this comes a bunch of code to fix any glitches or errors. It happens when porting characters over normal slots, so there's no way there won't be any over these dummied-out slots. That's not even including the actual creation of the moveset at a high quality level.

Like I said, if you can find someone both able and willing to do all that for you, props. You've probably snagged a high-up PMBR Member. But I highly doubt that's going to happen.

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
So I suggest Ridley get that orange and white swag to channel the Condor's pure awesomeness.
ridleycantcrawl.png

them white chompers:troll:
I hope PMBR considers Ridley if he doesn't show up playable in SSB4. Hardly any projectiles to worry about, very tooth-and-claw, he'd be like a lanky, flying version of Giga Bowser. Strong but surprisingly light.
also, :pichumelee:

GenericName

Smash Apprentice
Yes, I do know that. You do know that there's more to it than just accessing the slots, right? There are slot-specific codes that are different for each character. Think about it logically. You're not just adding a character when you're doing this: You're adding an announcer call, a franchise mark, a victory theme (as well as their name on the top of the victory screen), and cosmetics. Then you have to know how to create a new Module file for the character, which almost no one would even know how to do! Even some of the most talented modders out there like Eternal Yoshi or Pikazz have a hard time modifying modules properly. You then have to know how to use the code to actually assign all of these things you've created to your new slot.

You then have to do extensive PSA work to ensure the character doesn't have conflicting graphics with whoever they're cloned from, replace their soundbank with the soundbank of a boss, then PSA the sounds so they use them. Then you have to balance the character, which is going to be hell without a dedicated team of testers like what PMBR has. Along with this comes a bunch of code to fix any glitches or errors. It happens when porting characters over normal slots, so there's no way there won't be any over these dummied-out slots. That's not even including the actual creation of the moveset at a high quality level.

Like I said, if you can find someone both able and willing to do all that for you, props. You've probably snagged a high-up PMBR Member. But I highly doubt that's going to happen.
I figured most would assume that I meant all the hard work would be included with the character development part.
Guess not.
Because they're trying to be legitimized within the competitive community and maintaining complete professionalism instead of changing things willy-nilly is absolutely integral to that end?

This is f***ing basic, people.
It's not changing things "willy nilly" at all. It's the inclusion of a character. Which is up to the TO anyways. And has been done with the banning of MK in tourneys before.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I figured most would assume that I meant all the hard work would be included with the character development part.
Guess not.

It's not changing things "willy nilly" at all. It's the inclusion of a character. Which is up to the TO anyways. And has been done with the banning of MK in tourneys before.
Don't you think if someone was willing and able to do all of that, they already would have? It's not that hard of a concept to grasp. Like I said, even the best modders that we have aren't able to create the module files, and that's a vital step that the Clone Engine would simply not work without. The ones who are able would not be willing to do it.

And tournaments don't typically allow PSAs. Yes, they banned Meta Knight because he was broken. There's a difference between banning a broken character and allowing a totally new character to be played.

cmart

Smash Lord
This is completely, totally false. We have to "make" every single slot, and put a ton of work into it from around a dozen different, highly specialized modders who are probably the best at what they do in the brawl modding community. To suggest that we just "unlock" the slots and slap a character in there is pretty highly dismissive of the immense amount of work the whole process takes.

If it was as easy as you seem to think, then the Clone Engine and Brawl EX would not have taken literally years of work.

GenericName

Smash Apprentice
This is completely, totally false. We have to "make" every single slot, and put a ton of work into it from around a dozen different, highly specialized modders who are probably the best at what they do in the brawl modding community. To suggest that we just "unlock" the slots and slap a character in there is pretty highly dismissive of the immense amount of work the whole process takes.

If it was as easy as you seem to think, then the Clone Engine and Brawl EX would not have taken literally years of work.
Plz read above posts.

All work is intened to be under the phrase "character development"

Moving along now

Shin F.

Smash Master
Plz read above posts.

All work is intened to be under the phrase "character development"

Moving along now
Plz check the ribbon under cmart's name. Being a member of PMBR, no one but another PMBR member would be more qualified to tell you this. Show some respect to one of the people who even made this possible! You're either incredibly simple-minded or in extreme denial. You can't just put a character (developed or not) into one of the slots and expect it to work. Here you are, hearing it right from a developer, and you still think you can just unlock the slots and add a character. Ugh.
I've never had to use the Ignore button before...

...Until now.
I think he might be my second or third time.

Last edited:

GenericName

Smash Apprentice
Okay, so I guess we should just pointlessly repeat something then, and when it's called out it's just wrong because its someone from the pmbr.
Shin had literally said the same exact thing as his main point, so there was no need at all for cmart's post. I even pointed my intentions of the word out after shin commented.

But I guess we all have too big a bug up our asses to admit that we were wrong. So in the end, no one will care.

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I had completely forgotten about U-Throw. :p He just sort of disappeared, but apparently he's on the Smash 4 boards, after all. How fortunate for us.

Best. Comment. Ever. Wish I could like it again.
I can confirm that he hangs out in the mewtwo thread 4 smash 4.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
So, anyone wanna discuss Mach Rider?

Because I mean, other than Skapon and Our Saviour The Condor we haven't discussed characters from the NES era too much. He and Balloon Fighter interest me. Neither has a ton of defined skills besides the basics, so they could be creative to work off of.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
So, anyone wanna discuss Mach Rider?

Because I mean, other than Skapon and Our Saviour The Condor we haven't discussed characters from the NES era too much. He and Balloon Fighter interest me. Neither has a ton of defined skills besides the basics, so they could be creative to work off of.
Hmm... How about this guy?

NEVER MIND HE'S NOT IN BRAWL

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Mach Rider is definitely an interesting choice. I would like to see the PMBR do something nice with the scrapped Wario bike. And plus, he's got a totally badass design.

+1 Vote from me.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Hmm... How about this guy?
Mike Jones from StarTropics would be awesome.

Still, we already have a character that uses a bat and yo-yos, so I don't know how he could be implemented in a unique way.

EDIT:

That would be awesome, but StarTropics wasn't so much as referenced a single time in Brawl ):<
SAKURAAAAAAAIIIII!!!!!

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Mike Jones from StarTropics would be awesome.

Still, we already have a character that uses a bat and yo-yos, so I don't know how he could be implemented in a unique way.
If he was eligible, he could take some cues from my Ninten moveset. Ness only uses his bat and yoyo for his smashes. A moveset implementing them for normals or specials would be pretty unique. The yoyo could even be a tether grab.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
If he was eligible, he could take some cues from my Ninten moveset. Ness only uses his bat and yoyo for his smashes. A moveset implementing them for normals or specials would be pretty unique. The yoyo could even be a tether grab.
I missed your post while replying to andalsoandy, but yeah a yo-yo is a great weapon to build a moveset around. If Ninten got in I'd like for it to be used almost all the time.

But since Mike ain't eligible then it's back to Mach Rider and Balloon Fighter.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Balloon Fighter's number of balloons could relate to his number of double jumps, falling speed and air speed/acceleration, and he could use his down-special on the ground to get more.

He should lose a balloon 15% after he pulls another out.

Also, instead of a model, he could be entirely in sprite form.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Balloon Fighter's number of balloons could relate to his number of double jumps and his falling speed, and he could use his down-special on the ground to get more.

He should lose a balloon 15% after he pulls another out.
That sounds pretty cool. His B move could be like Pikmin Pluck, and he blows up a balloon when he uses it, giving him an extra jump until it pops. We can call it Balloon Blow.

I would want his Side B to have him spin around so his balloons hit people kind of like Tails' side b in SSF2.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
That sounds pretty cool. His B move could be like Pikmin Pluck, and he blows up a balloon when he uses it, giving him an extra jump until it pops. We can call it Balloon Blow.
I would want his Side B to have him spin around so his balloons hit people kind of like Tails' side b in SSF2.
During this he should be able to control his vertical speed slightly, and it should put him into special fall.

(I made edits to my earlier post btw.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom