• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Post #10,000!

Let's take this moment to honor the great discussions we've had thus far.
Well, according to my data, we have

1% Genuine Discussion
3% Butt Jokes
6% Condor
24% Ridley Size Debates
and an astonishing 66% Pichu Arguments

Fortress

Smash Master
I prefer the idea of Ray being very projectile-heavy with very few physical attacks, like Solbliminal envisioned him. He'd essentially be like the Mega Man of Project M.
That's fine, I'm not saying he should have a lot of physical attacks. I am saying however that a projectile jab is bat**** loco. The Knuckle Gun is totally viable for a jab and a few tilts, as the way the weapon lifts you in Custom Robo incarnations makes perfect sense for an up-tilt and jab 3.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Well, according to my data, we have

1% Genuine Discussion
3% Butt Jokes
6% Condor
24% Ridley Size Debates
and an astonishing 66% Pichu Arguments
I don't believe this Data.

I'm pretty sure we have like
10% genuine discussion
40% Vote casts
3% Condor
20% Ridley
20% Pichu
7% Salt

Shin F.

Smash Master
I don't believe this Data.

I'm pretty sure we have like
10% genuine discussion
40% Vote casts
3% Condor
20% Ridley
20% Pichu
7% Salt
I'd say take 5% off of Vote casts, and give it to people talking about how awesome Isaac would be. Or is that part of the genuine discussion portion?

Also, we have to have like 2-4% of red9rd posting Masked Man pics.

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
This is ten percent luck, twenty percent tech skill,
Fifteen percent combos on Pokemon Stadium's windmill,
Five percent Johns, fifty percent Fox,
And a hundred percent reason to study hitbox

Last edited:

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
5 Pichus...Real talk.
How could we have been so blind? This Legion of Pichus will surely consume the last clone slots out of necessity for it's existence. You thought Pichu would be weak on it's own? Well, you obviously didn't figure in the sheer power of 16 extra stampeding rodent legs crawling over your half-paralyzed, half-broken body, in spite of all feeble attempts to shake them off.
They will fight as one, taking their opponents by a thunderstorm as they cry out for mercy. Only one sound answers:
"Piiiiiiichuuuuuuuuuuu!"
I mean, it takes 5 slots just to contain this unstoppable force. That alone provides a glimpse of its greatness. Ridley? Lyn? Isaac? They never stood a chance.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
How could we have been so blind? This Legion of Pichus will obviously fill the last clone slots. You thought Pichu would be weak on it's own? Well, you obviously didn't figure in the sheer power of 16 extra stampeding rodent legs crawling over your half-paralyzed, half-broken body, in spite of all feeble attempts to shake them off.
They will fight as one, taking their opponents by a thunderstorm as they cry out for mercy. Only one sound answers:
"Piiiiiiichuuuuuuuuuuu!"
I mean, it takes 5 slots just to contain this unstoppable force. That alone provides a glimpse of its greatness. Ridley? Lyn? Isaac? They never stood a chance.
I dunno... Isaac's gonna put up one hell of a fight. He's a Ground type, after all, so he's strong against Electric types.

I think he might be able to take out at least one or two of them before he goes down.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Imma just sit here and quietly support Blackondorf.

Nope, don't mind ol' Edge here, it's all just opinion all around after all.

Hmm...

Am I even adding anything?

I guess I'll just leave with the remark that Blackondorf is not 100% opposed, m'kay???

I swear though, it'd be cool for me and other people too. I know how the other side feels, though, so I'll leave it at that and nothing more out of fear of being seen as inflammatory.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Y'all crazy. Black Shadow/Ganondorf is easily the best idea that has emerged in all of Clone discussion. Page 1!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
For the record (Do we have a record?)

I don't 100% oppose Blackondorf. I do vastly prefer Skull Kid however.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
When I saw the name of Blackendorf, I thought it was a black Ganondorf. With a personality from the 70's.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Just dropping in for my periodic visit, and I find out that there is a Condor Nation. Where is this magical land and how do I apply for citizenship?

Also, I like the idea of Mokka suggested a few pages back. In Magical Starsign, he's an earth-user. He's not the main character, but he's probably the most popular character because of his personality. It'd be neat to have an earth-user in PM, and the game could use another heavyweight. The game is pretty obscure, though, so I do recognize that there'd be a problem in pleasing the fans with such an addition.

As for Boney, I offer a superior alternative:

Poochy. Yeah, that's right. From Yoshi's Island. This dog doesn't mess around. Poochy ain't stupid. He walks on lava like Jesus on water, as if it ain't no thing. He's confirmed to show up in Yoshi's New Island too, so he's relevant. Poochy > Boney, all the way.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Just dropping in for my periodic visit, and I find out that there is a Condor Nation. Where is this magical land and how do I apply for citizenship?

Also, I like the idea of Mokka suggested a few pages back. In Magical Starsign, he's an earth-user. He's not the main character, but he's probably the most popular character because of his personality. It'd be neat to have an earth-user in PM, and the game could use another heavyweight. The game is pretty obscure, though, so I do recognize that there'd be a problem in pleasing the fans with such an addition.
If PM was going to have an Earth user, my money would be on Isaac. Still, I'd be interested in seeing the player characters of Magical Starsign using multiple elements in their movesets.

I'm not even going to begin to go into Boney or Poochy.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
If PM was going to have an Earth user, my money would be on Isaac. Still, I'd be interested in seeing the player characters of Magical Starsign using multiple elements in their movesets.

I'm not even going to begin to go into Boney or Poochy.
Oh, I definitely agree. Isaac is the definitive Earth-user. I feel like Mokka would be a nice alternative if for some strange reason Isaac were dismissed.

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
Blackendorf
Pichu
Lyn
Isaac
Ridley

I think everyone agrees that it's between these 5.
Wow, no not really at all. Those are all main contenders sans Pichu but there are more than those whom people are very much interested in. We wouldn't go in circles so much if there was a clear most popular five already.

Sonicthesneak

Smash Ace
Blackendorf
Pichu
Lyn
Isaac
Ridley

Considering the post as of late... this seems similar. Compared to the "leaked 5" from a few weeks back, 2 out of 5 were hit with only one "surprise".

And as much as I want Ridley in (I mean who doesn't at this point), I'm worried that his possible inclusion in Smash 4 will keep him out of Project M until the very end. I mean what if Ridley is a secret unlockable character for Smash 4? We won't know about him until AFTER release. That would make me sad. So for Project M's sake, I hope Ridley is confirmed as playable for Smash 4 soon... or confirmed as a stage hazard again real soon.

Also, just to confirm: "Blackendorf" is a term for Black Shadow getting Ganondorf's current moveset and Ganondorf getting a moveset based off the Zelda franchise, right?

EDIT: Lol. My post was too slow. There is no real consensus then. At least it's given that Ridley, Issac and Lyn are in the top 3. I'm sure that'll stick even once the poll in the OP is updated.

Last edited:

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Blackendorf
Pichu
Lyn
Isaac
Ridley

Wow, no not really at all. Those are all main contenders sans Pichu but there are more than those whom people are very much interested in. We wouldn't go in circles so much if there was a clear most popular five already.
Not lyn, sorry guys, we already have 3 FE sword users. You gotta think like a game designer here.

As much as I hate to disappoint fanboys, Nis is correct (besides lyn). I'm well aware of the mentality of the developers who are in charge of adding more characters to the game. With the possible exception of an advanced wars commander it is down to these 4, while I can say that many of the devs are not in favor of changing gannodorf, the more experimental PMBR members that got lucario revamped may be able to convince them, because after all, G-dorf's moveset would still exist unchanged. Pichu has a lot of good ideas floating through the PMBR as what to do to improve and differentiate the character, and adding pichu would be the completion of adding all smash veterans to the roster. In regards to the other characters in Nis' list, they are simply the most popular and relevant picks that the very Cannon-conscious PMBR could make. This is of course assuming, they ever add another character at all, it's a massive time investment and disrupts the already fragile metagame.

Last edited:

Sonicthesneak

Smash Ace
Not lyn, sorry guys, we already have 3 FE sword users. You gotta think like a game designer here.

As much as I hate to disappoint fanboys, Nis is correct (besides lyn). I'm well aware of the mentality of the developers who are in charge of adding more characters to the game. With the possible exception of an advanced wars commander it is down to these 4, while I can say that many of the devs are not in favor of changing gannodorf, the more experimental PMBR members that got lucario revamped may be able to convince them, because after all, G-dorf's moveset would still exist unchanged. Pichu has a lot of good ideas floating through the PMBR as what to do to improve and differentiate the character, and adding pichu would be the completion of adding all smash veterans to the roster. In regards to the other characters in Nis' list, they are simply the most popular and relevant picks that the very Cannon-conscious PMBR could make. This is of course assuming, they ever add another character at all, it's a massive time investment and disrupts the already fragile metagame.
Hmm... that would make sense. While I do like Lyn and could see her being different then Marth/Ike/Roy, I could see them just not wanting to add her just because. So it'd be...

Advance Wars Rep (Sami could work)
Ridley
Issac
Pichu
Ganondorf/Black Shadow Shenanigans.

And in that list, Ridey & Issac are 1st tier, Pichu being middle and then Advance Wars rep & Capt. Ganon scenario being the questionable group. In the end, this is a fan-team development and the team will do what they feel is right. Not exactly what the fans want.

Though I would love to see someone make a playable Lyn character somehow for Brawl. It's not like she's likely for Smash 4.

But my question would be to the Backroom guys in charge of choosing who gets in to P:M or not... what happens if someone they pick has to get axed because of Smash 4 reveals? I'd feel horrible if they put Ridley in only to have to take him OUT because he comes out for Smash 4 after the fact. :/

Either way, I'm so happy that Project M exists and that it's gotten THIS far to begin with. They brought back Mewtwo. They did what Nintendon't for Brawl and possibly Smash 4. :D That alone makes them heroes for me.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
They said that if they announce a character before smash 4 does, then the character stays.

Dunno how that applies to secret unlockables though.

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
Hmm... that would make sense. While I do like Lyn and could see her being different then Marth/Ike/Roy, I could see them just not wanting to add her just because. So it'd be...

Advance Wars Rep (Sami could work)
Ridley
Issac
Pichu
Ganondorf/Black Shadow Shenanigans.

And in that list, Ridey & Issac are 1st tier, Pichu being middle and then Advance Wars rep & Capt. Ganon scenario being the questionable group. In the end, this is a fan-team development and the team will do what they feel is right. Not exactly what the fans want.

Though I would love to see someone make a playable Lyn character somehow for Brawl. It's not like she's likely for Smash 4.

But my question would be to the Backroom guys in charge of choosing who gets in to P:M or not... what happens if someone they pick has to get axed because of Smash 4 reveals? I'd feel horrible if they put Ridley in only to have to take him OUT because he comes out for Smash 4 after the fact. :/

Either way, I'm so happy that Project M exists and that it's gotten THIS far to begin with. They brought back Mewtwo. They did what Nintendon't for Brawl and possibly Smash 4. :D That alone makes them heroes for me.
That's a really good point actually, as far as Shadic (the dev in charge of Roy's design) let on, they haven't really started any kind of design process for anyone, it's still just ideas floating around in the back room. And because they aren't sure who will be in smash 4, and are very very serious about not having newcomer overlap, they will probably wait until we have a clearer picture of smash4's roster before beginning any development of a new character.

Shin F.

Smash Master

Think like a game designer? You know what a game designer does? They do what's going to be popular with their fanbase. As popular as Lyn is, and as unique as she has the potential to be, she's still a very likely candidate. (FYI: I don't support Lyn, I'm just calling it as I see it.)

If anything, Ridley is the unlikely one in that group just because of the technical difficulties in balancing a character like that. Not that it can't be done, but there's no denying that he'd be a tough character to implement.

Also, while Blackendorf has a lot of support, the fact is that it's still very controversial. There are many who are attached to Ganon as he is in Smash and don't want to see him changed, even if his moveset is still around.

And let's not forget the other B-Tier characters. All of them are popular and therefore have a chance of being chosen. There really aren't any five characters this comes down to yet. The fact is, the possibilities are still very much open. Absolutely nothing is set in stone, except maybe Isaac's spot as the top character. I'm having a hard time seeing him lose that distinction.

Last edited:

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
Think like a game designer? You know what a game designer does? They do what's going to be popular with their fanbase. As popular as Lyn is, and as unique as she has the potential to be, she's still a very likely candidate. (FYI: I don't support Lyn, I'm just calling it as I see it.)

If anything, Ridley is the unlikely one in that group just because of the technical difficulties in balancing a character like that. Not that it can't be done, but there's no denying that he'd be a tough character to implement.

Also, while Blackendorf has a lot of support, the fact is that it's still very controversial. There are many who are attached to Ganon as he is in Smash and don't want to see him changed, even if his moveset is still around.

And let's not forget the other B-Tier characters. All of them are popular and therefore have a chance of being chosen. There really aren't any five characters this comes down to yet. The fact is, the possibilities are still very much open. Absolutely nothing is set in stone, except maybe Isaac's spot as the top character. I'm having a hard time seeing him lose that distinction.
Apologies, what I should have said was think like a PMBR member, who are not subject to any of the opinions and desires of people who post in these threads, trust me on that, they are grateful for the community's input, but it's really up to a PMBR member to take who he thinks would be interesting to make to start the process of adding a character, regardless of popular opinion (excluding the popular opinion of the PMBR, which to reiterate, is swayed only slightly by our discussion). Their main interests are diversity in fighting styles, technical feasibility, and franchise representation. With that in mind, lyn is not a prominent front runner for a clone engine slot.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Apologies, what I should have said was think like a PMBR member. Their main interests are diversity in fighting styles, technical feasibility, and franchise representation. With that in mind, lyn is not a prominent front runner for a clone engine slot.
While I can agree with their main interest being diversity in fighting styles and technical feasibility, I have to say - Lyn has all that, except perhaps franchise representation, which it can be argued doesn't matter as much to PMBR, given the 7 Pokemon characters. Just using a sword doesn't mean the character has the same fighting style. It's been discussed that Lyn could have an on-hit cancel system like Lucario's, which is indeed something we haven't seen yet for a sword user.

Like I said, I don't even support Lyn. I didn't vote for her one way or the other, nor am I going to. I think there are better choices, and I think the Clone Engine should be limited to one character per franchise that it's used for. But I can still see the potential in her character. She's not out of the running by a long shot.

Last edited:

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
While I can agree with their main interest being diversity in fighting styles and technical feasibility, I have to say - Lyn has all that, except perhaps franchise representation, which it can be argued doesn't matter as much to PMBR, given the 7 Pokemon characters. Just using a sword doesn't mean the character has the same fighting style. It's been discussed that Lyn could have an on-hit cancel system like Lucario's, which is indeed something we haven't seen yet for a sword user.

Like I said, I don't even support Lyn. I didn't vote for her one way or the other, nor am I going to. I think there are better choices, and I think the Clone Engine should be limited to one character per franchise that it's used for. But I can still see the potential in her character. She's not out of the running by a long shot.
While a good point, I think that franchise representation is a more substantial issue when adding in newcomers, which the PMBR has not done yet. Mewtwo was added to an already over-represented franchise, but the real purpose for his addition was to complete the melee roster. Now pichu would be the final step in that process, although his pikachu-clone status and overall lack of support in the melee scene dampens his chances from what would be an almost assured choice. However, for lyn, who would be a newcomer, a fourth character in the FE lineup does bode poorly for her since, unlike the first two additions, franchise representation is a major factor now.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
However, it has been proven MANY times by this thread that overrepresentation is a subjective issue. 4 FE reps and 6 Zelda reps may not be an issue for the PMBR.

3 Mother reps MIGHT be too many for them, but obviously it's not for other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom