• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
However, it has been proven MANY times by this thread that overrepresentation is a subjective issue. 4 FE reps and 6 Zelda reps may not be an issue for the PMBR.

3 Mother reps MIGHT be too many for them, but obviously it's not for other people.
as far as the one PMBR member I know in real life, 6 zelda reps is definitely a no-go for the PMBR.

Shin F.

Smash Master
While a good point, I think that franchise representation is a more substantial issue when adding in newcomers, which the PMBR has not done yet. Mewtwo was added to an already over-represented franchise, but the real purpose for his addition was to complete the melee roster. Now pichu would be the final step in that process, although his pikachu-clone status and overall lack of support in the melee scene dampens his chances from what would be an almost assured choice. However, for lyn, who would be a newcomer, a fourth character in the FE lineup does bode poorly for her since, unlike the first two additions, franchise representation is a major factor now.
While that's possible, it's not really something we can know for sure, so I won't really argue against it.

Also, while looking at the most recent poll results, I noticed how characters with overall lower votes could have higher approval percentages just because they also lacked negative votes or were introduced later on. I wanted to see what the list would look like if arranged by approval ratings, and the results were fairly interesting to me, so I'm just going to put them here. Keep in mind, this doesn't really reflect the results since these ratings are percentages rather than actual numbers of votes, it's just a fairly interesting way to look at the figures.
Isaac: 95 (95, 20, 10, 92.00%)
Masked Man/Claus: 24 (21, 12, 3, 91.67%)
Skull Kid: 9.5 (8, 7, 2, 88.24%)
Saki: 24.5 (21, 23, 8, 84.62%)
Ridley: 67.5 (75, 25, 20, 83.33%)
King K. Rool: 31.5 (30, 27, 12, 82.61%)
Lyn: 51.5 (60, 19, 18, 81.44%)
Tom Nook: 11.5 (11, 15, 7, 78.79%)
Andy: 9.5 (9, 15, 7, 77.42%)

Skapon: 28 (36, 20, 18, 75.68%)
Dark Samus: 30 (37, 28, 21, 75.58%)
Bowser Jr.: 22 (27, 22, 16, 75.38%)

Samurai Goroh: 9.5 (11, 19, 11, 73.17%)
Ganondorf/Black Shadow: 38.5 (59, 19, 30, 72.22%)
Paper Mario: 12 (17, 28, 19, 70.31%)
Sami: 12 (23, 12, 17, 67.31%)
Dixie Kong: 11.5 (25, 29, 28, 65.85%)

Hector: 0.5 (7, 13, 13, 60.61%)
Tetra: 0 (8, 6, 11, 56.00%)
Plusle & Minun: -1.5 (5, 7, 10, 54.54%)
Waluigi: -6 (18, 20, 34, 52.78%)
Toad: -4.5 (10, 13, 21, 52.27%)

Krystal: -9.5 (8, 21, 28, 50.88%)
Pichu: -12.5 (24, 19, 46, 48.31%)

Tails: -25 (12, 14, 44, 37.14%)
Toon Zelda: -10.5 (6, 5, 19, 36.67%)
Knuckles: -29.5 (9, 7, 42, 27.59%)

Shadow: -44.5 (10, 7, 58, 22.67%)

Pretty interesting way to look at the results. It gives a sense of how approved a character might be if they haven't been around for people to vote for as long, like Skull Kid, who was introduced much later than many of the other characters.

Also, lol at how Tails technically has higher approval than Toon Zelda like this.
as far as the one PMBR member I know in real life, 6 zelda reps is definitely a no-go for the PMBR.
You know a PMBR member? Mind sharing who?

Last edited:

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Warning Received
While that's possible, it's not really something we can know for sure, so I won't really argue against it.

Also, while looking at the most recent poll results, I noticed how characters with overall lower votes could have higher approval percentages just because they also lacked negative votes. I wanted to see what the list would look like if arranged by approval ratings, and the results were fairly interesting to me, so I'm just going to put them here. Keep in mind, this doesn't really reflect the results since these ratings are percentages rather than actual numbers of votes, it's just a fairly interesting way to look at the figures.

Isaac: 95 (95, 20, 10, 92.00%)
Masked Man/Claus: 24 (21, 12, 3, 91.67%)
Skull Kid: 9.5 (8, 7, 2, 88.24%)
Saki: 24.5 (21, 23, 8, 84.62%)
Ridley: 67.5 (75, 25, 20, 83.33%)
King K. Rool: 31.5 (30, 27, 12, 82.61%)
Lyn: 51.5 (60, 19, 18, 81.44%)
Tom Nook: 11.5 (11, 15, 7, 78.79%)
Andy: 9.5 (9, 15, 7, 77.42%)

Skapon: 28 (36, 20, 18, 75.68%)
Dark Samus: 30 (37, 28, 21, 75.58%)
Bowser Jr.: 22 (27, 22, 16, 75.38%)

Samurai Goroh: 9.5 (11, 19, 11, 73.17%)
Ganondorf/Black Shadow: 38.5 (59, 19, 30, 72.22%)
Paper Mario: 12 (17, 28, 19, 70.31%)
Sami: 12 (23, 12, 17, 67.31%)
Dixie Kong: 11.5 (25, 29, 28, 65.85%)

Hector: 0.5 (7, 13, 13, 60.61%)
Tetra: 0 (8, 6, 11, 56.00%)
Plusle & Minun: -1.5 (5, 7, 10, 54.54%)
Waluigi: -6 (18, 20, 34, 52.78%)
Toad: -4.5 (10, 13, 21, 52.27%)

Krystal: -9.5 (8, 21, 28, 50.88%)
Pichu: -12.5 (24, 19, 46, 48.31%)

Tails: -25 (12, 14, 44, 37.14%)
Toon Zelda: -10.5 (6, 5, 19, 36.67%)
Knuckles: -29.5 (9, 7, 42, 27.59%)

Shadow: -44.5 (10, 7, 58, 22.67%)

Pretty interesting way to look at the results. It gives a sense of how approved a character might be if they haven't been around for people to vote for as long, like Skull Kid, who was introduced much later than many of the other characters.

Also, lol at how Tails technically has higher approval than Toon Zelda like this.
great post. Also, lol **** shadow. go sukapon!

As for the PMBR member I know, it's Shadic, he who designed roy. We play every week and I usually bug him about PMBR happenings, not that he isn't tight lipped as they all are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
great post. Also, lol **** shadow. go sukapon!

As for the PMBR member I know, it's Shadic, he who designed roy. We play every week and I usually bug him about PMBR happenings, not that he isn't tight lipped as they all are.
Take him to a bar sometimes and pay for his drinks, please. Then come back here. :alakadoof:

Last edited by a moderator:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
He just doesn't want anyone to know that Alakadoof is going to be the next reveal. If we all exploded of awesomeness at that, there'd be no one to watch his reveal trailer ;)

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I'm actually sad I wasn't around for the Mewtwo reveal. That must have been hype as hell.
There'll be another trailer for someone and you won't miss it, don't worry.

But yeah we loved dat

"We dreamed of creating the world's strongest Pokémon...

...and we succeeded."

Fortress

Smash Master
[collapse=Ray stuff]Alrighty, to steer this thread back on topic, I was wanting to continue where I left off on my take on Custom Robo's Ray (Ray II that is, only losers use Ray III and its ugliness (protip: winners use Little Raider models)). I'm going to try and go pretty in-depth with this one, with some fantasy hitbox/frame data.

NORMALS

Jab String: Three hits, no rapid. Using the Knuckle Gun from the CR series, implementing a similar trajectory (albeit on a much smaller scale) to the one used in the games, that being up-and-away for the final hit. ~9% total damage.

Jab 1: A stomach jab dealing 2% damage. Hits on frames 5-7, can perform Jab2 as early as frame 2 (transitions at frame 10). Hitbox would be placed from the end of Ray's attacking arm to his elbow (the Knuckle gun is kind of huge).

Jab 2: A faster cross punch dealing 3% damage. Hits on frames 4-6, can perform Jab3 input as early as frame 3 (transitions at frame 9). Hitbox would be smaller and slightly higher than Jab1, with Ray itself leaning forward slightly (but not moving position-wise).

Jab 3: An uppercut dealing 4% damage. Hits on frames 5-6, with a noticeable amount of endlag. The attack would lift the opponent up and push them away.

Up Tilt: A slower, but stronger version of Jab3, but with more reach and a different trajectory. 7% damage, lifts the opponent up and very slightly towards Ray, more similar to the weapon's use as an aerial setup in the Custom Robo series. Hits on frames 6-10, with 3 hitboxes; two throughout Ray's arm, and one in the shoulder at the inside of his center/body.

Forward Tilt: Lifts its leg and uses the booster on its leg to force an opponent away. 6% damage, with a 10% damage sweetspot at the bottom of its foot (where the boost would be). Ray unfolds its leg to perform the attack, potentially hitting twice. Four hitboxes, a small one in the upper leg, a small one at the knee, a larger one taking up the entire lower leg/knee, and a very small one in the foot.

Down Tilt: Ray fires a weak pod below and in front of itself, knocking the opponent away on a low trajectory. Deals 6%. One 'medium-sized' hitbox, about half a Ray-width in size, and halfway up its lower leg in height.

Aerials

Neutral Aerial: Ray utilizes the Stun Gun to attack with bursts of electricity, doling out multiple weak hits, similar to Wolf and Mewtwo's n-airs. 1% per hit, possibly doing 10% in total.

Up Aerial: The Satellite Pod explodes above Ray, delivering a blow that launches the opponent upward, and sports a powerful sweetspot near the launch of the pod (which would be level with Ray's head, pretty much). 7% normally, 12% sweetspotted with powerful knockback.

Forward Aerial: Ray detonates the Freeze Bomb directly in front of itself, allowing for technical followups like Fair > U-smash > B-air thanks to the unusually high hitstun of the attack. Having its weakness as in its home series, the Freeze Bomb is slow; with a high startup lag, high endlag, a small hitbox, and minimal damage. It is extremely unsafe to use on an opponent expecting it, and is difficult to SHFFL due to the long startup on the attack. However, used properly, it can leave an opponent frozen in time while Ray fires away, similarly to other 'freeze' attacks such as ZSS's E-Pistol and DK's forward-B. 3% damage.

Back Aerial: Ray detonates a Standard Pod behind itself, with minor knockback and damage similar to a b-air like Mario's. 7% damage. Useful for stagespiking and spacing because of how quickly it comes out and ends, making it one of Ray's viable SHFFL attacks.

Down Aerial: Ray utilizes the Acrobat Pod, dealing minimal damage, but propelling itself upward, and the opponent downward on a meteor trajectory should the attack connect. Useful for recoveries and finishers, but the hitbox itself is near Ray's waste, making it somewhat difficult to connect.

SPECIALS

Neutral Special: The Normal Gun, sporting quick three round burst with a decent range, can be used for gimps similar to needlesnipes, or to put on pressure from a distance (but not as great as a distance) similarly to Falco's blaster. Grounded or in the air, the attack has somewhat high ending lag, so care should be taken to not be punished for using the attack. Low knockback with decent damage. 3% per hit.

Up Special: Ray rises upward with the Umbrella Pod. The pods explode at the peak of the boost, giving Ray extra protection when recovering. Like Snake, the pods can damage an opponent who comes in contact with them (and they are rather large), although Ray is much more vulnerable during the boost, lacking the same sort of aura that Snake possesses. Ray can attack out of this recovery similarly to Snake and Sonic, allowing the attack to bolster his on-stage game. 5% damage on direct contact, 9% with the explosion.

Side Special: Ray deploys Satellite Pod into the air, where it floats above him for a brief time before exploding. An opponent coming into contact with the pod also detonates it. The move has little startup and endlag, meaning pod placement can be quick, but only one pod can be out at a time, and pods malfunction without detonating if Ray places another manually.

Down Special: Ray sets down a Spider Pod, which wanders until an opponent comes near, at which time it jumps and explodes on the opponent. Only one Spider can be out at a time, and they wander forward until they fall off of the stage. The attack has little startup and endlag similar to Ray's Side-Special, but the Spiders malfunction in the same way should Ray choose to deploy another manually.[/collapse]

My hands and brain hurt too much to think of Smashes at the moment, but that's what I'm able to come up with from Sol's ideas and my own from a thousand pages back.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
haha, I have tried guys, he only ever drinks one beer when we hang out.
One beer eh? How about putting some "stuff" in there?

Just kidding, wouldn't want anything bad to happen to our friendly neighborhood Alakadoof.

You have the right to misinterpret this post. Carry on with your mission.

Sonicthesneak

Smash Ace
I couldn't find Daftatt's exact post about Sukapon > Shadow... but I totally agree. Sukapon should be showing up in SSB4 if not Project M, for the symbolism that he was the first mascot of Nintendo's original fighter.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
what about.....

4 for Fire emblem?

Edit: Read what you said before, still hope they pick lyn at least, the other ones could be anyone and i'd be okay with it.

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
Lyn's cool and all, but has nobody considered the Black Knight, or even a Sheik-like character from the series, such as Volke?

in fact, why are characters from outside of Path of Radiance, the best game in the entire series hands-down non-debatable and you know it, even being discussed?

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I challenge you to prove it. You're probably a Sacred Stones kind of player. Pah. And don't you dare tell me 'Awakening'.
Um.

*looks at Ragnell replica*
*looks at Ike Halloween costume*
*looks at hours logged on P:M/Brawl with Ike*
*looks at copies of PoR/RD and Wii specifically bought for those games*

Yeah ... Sacred Stones. Yep. Fav game in the series. Uh-huh.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Oh, I know. Path of Radiance is an incredible flipping game and Radiant Dawn even more so. I am disagreeing that it's non-debatable because preferences are extremely subjective. So the notion that dismissing characters not from PoR out of hand is just silly.

Also, I personally avoid investing myself at all in characters that aren't popular and aren't likely. I don't really care what Vigilante says, I know the Black Knight isn't making it in. Besides, I've wanted Lyn playable in Smash since I played FE7. So, you know.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Yes, Lyn and not member of terrible class with hackneyed 'troubled past mysterious dude' personality.

See? Subjective.

Besides, there's an eligibility list. I don't think Rath was in Brawl, sticker or otherwise.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Not funny, @ Empyrean Empyrean . Sorry, but a line was crossed.
Of course I never would want someone to do that. I do realize now that what I said was unnecessary, so I apologize for my carelessness. I usually spurt out something incredibly stupid once in while irl too, I guess it caught on here.

Fortress

Smash Master
Funnily enough Joshua, Navarre and Guy are all stickers. Sakurai likes him some Myrmidons. (He has stated Navarre is his favorite character.)
As much as I dislike the game, some of my favorite FE characters are from Sacred Stones. Joshua, Gerrik, Colm, Ephraim, Gilliam...

...Cormag and Glenn... Gilliam...

GenericName

Smash Apprentice
You know if someone figured out how to access those clone spots, we really wouldn't need to wait. And if a character was created and was accepted over most of the community there's no real way the pmbr could just stop them from being added by said community...and used. >_> <_<
*shots fired*
*runs before the doom wave*

Fortress

Smash Master
You know if someone figured out how to access those clone spots, we really wouldn't need to wait. And if a character was created and was accepted over most of the community there's no real way the pmbr could just stop them from being added by said community...and used. >_> <_<
*shots fired*
But what would the point in having a thousand unique builds of PM be? That wouldn't work for tournaments, and I can promise you that it wouldn't be nearly as professional and balanced as what the PMBR could do.

Shin F.

Smash Master
*shots fired*
Yes, well - no ****, Sherlock. If you can find someone else capable of figuring out PMBR's Clone Engine, by all means - get them to use it. But it's a lot more complex than just accessing the empty slots. Hell, it took Dantarion - one of the best hackers in the community - years before he got the Clone Engine to a workable state. If you want to add your own clones, you're better off just using BrawlEx (which unfortunately isn't compatible with Project M).

王女 クマトラ

Outta my way, dammit!
NNID
ChieSatonaka
Eh, I think there's a reason Amy is in Sonic Boom and Shadow isn't. She deserves a Smash spot before Shadow. How I see it, it goes
Tails
Knuckles
Eggman
Amy
Shadow and Blaze

By that point the rest of the list has pretty much lost all hope of a Smash spot.
Man, Amy should be above Knuckles and Eggman. She came before Knuckles.. I guess Eggman could be higher, but meh, I'd rather have more female characters on the roster. Even then, I place her above Tails on mine.

Sonicthesneak

Smash Ace
He/It looks so cute there. Come on. Wouldn't females like that? I honestly have no idea, but he looks like a fusion of Kirby and Rayman there. I hope he gets a PSA even if he doesn't get into P:M. He looks so cool and could easily be a Mascot for the PMBR. Heck, just replace the Yellow or Red (Kirby & Mario) Alloys with him. I'd love for him to replace them or something. ^__^

He just makes total sense and props to the person who remembered his/its existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom