• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I'll just await the day they make Ridleychu, complete with Ganondorf's sword.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I honestly don't agree with the underlined statement. I've never struggled that badly with projectile spam from any of those three enough to dislike fighting them, nor have any of my friends playing against them. And I know the point is that you are expressing distaste in projectile heavy characters, but we shouldn't rule them out just "bcuz spam". Spam is going to exist no matter what character you play against. It is just a matter of knowing how to deal with that situation. Power Shielding, characters with reflect moves, super armor, counters, or you know....dodging, are all options to use against spam.

That being said, I think the projectile heavy character spot should be saved for Ray rather than Dark Samus. Ridley deserves the spot as a Metroid rep more than Dark Samus anyways, as I'm sure you agree.
I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear enough. Personally, I love all the "spammy" characters. But it didn't take me too much time of roaming these boards to see how much their playstyle is disliked. It also doesn't help that everyone I play with hates Samus. As for Dark Samus, I was just stating that I would prefer if she didn't have a projectile-centered gameplan. In regards to Ray, I agree with you that anything besides a projectile-heavy character wouldn't make sense. But I can assure you that people would complain about Ray if he were added and how "gimmicky he is" or how he "encourages camping" (then again, the same people would most probably complain about anyone that is added).

Better?

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear enough. Personally, I love all the "spammy" characters. But it didn't take me too much time of roaming these boards to see how much their playstyle is disliked. It also doesn't help that everyone I play with hates Samus. As for Dark Samus, I was just stating that I would prefer if she didn't have a projectile-centered gameplan. In regards to Ray, I agree with you that anything besides a projectile-heavy character wouldn't make sense. But I can assure you that people would complain about Ray if he were added and how "gimmicky he is" or how he "encourages camping" (then again, the same people would most probably complain about anyone that is added).
I understood what you meant, but it doesn't change my position on my statement. On the surface, casuals are going to complain about different characters based on what playstyle opposes the one they learned. I also can safely say that Ray isn't as much the camping type as he is the fixed distance fighter. I would say Ghost Rider, or even more so Dormammu from UMvC 3 is the best example of this. Your attacks have to be incredibly accurately placed to land them in combos.

One is too big, the other is too small. Together (with a sword), they're just right!
Just like a child's storybook~ #ThreeLittlePigs #GoldieLocs

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I understood what you meant, but it doesn't change my position on my statement. On the surface, casuals are going to complain about different characters based on what playstyle opposes the one they learned. I also can safely say that Ray isn't as much the camping type as he is the fixed distance fighter. I would say Ghost Rider, or even more so Dormammu from UMvC 3 is the best example of this. Your attacks have to be incredibly accurately placed to land them in combos.
The sad part is that even competitive people on these forums tend to complain about them.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Did a sketch version of the jab string for those who prefer the sketch layout. If you guys prefer this more, I'll proceed to sketch the rest of the moveset out.

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
"That being said, I think the projectile heavy character spot should be saved for Ray rather than Dark Samus. Ridley deserves the spot as a Metroid rep more than Dark Samus anyways, as I'm sure you agree."

Even though Ridley is the most optimal Metroid candidate, I doubt he is going to make it in. I say this because even though there are lots of pro-Ridley people, there are just as many anti-Ridley people. I'm pretty sure the PMBR doesn't want to displease anyone, so they will probably have to come to Dark Samus as a compromise or just not put in another Metroid representative.

Last edited:

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
"That being said, I think the projectile heavy character spot should be saved for Ray rather than Dark Samus. Ridley deserves the spot as a Metroid rep more than Dark Samus anyways, as I'm sure you agree."

Even though Ridley is the most optimal Metroid candidate, I doubt he is going to make it in. I say this because even though there are lots of pro-Ridley people, there are just as many anti-Ridley people. I'm pretty sure the PMBR doesn't want to displease anyone, so they will probably have to come to Dark Samus as a compromise or just not put in another Metroid representative.
You can't please everybody. If they add Dark Samus the people who want Ridley will get upset and if they add Ridley the people who don't want Ridley will get upset. So really the only compromise is to not add either.

Bleck

Smash Master
the only compromise is to add Ridley anyways because Dark Samus is a dumb ****ing character

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
But seriously, some feedback. Do you guys want me to continue with using the Ray model or sketch the moveset?

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior

No, there are not as many anti-Ridley people. The people who absolutely do not want Ridley are just very vocal about it. There are many people out there who are simply indifferent to the idea, yes, but they wouldn't be bothered if he was in. If they add him, then I can guarantee you that PM will have a massive surge in popularity, more so than Dark Samus. I doubt that the anti-Ridley people would stop playing PM because of his inclusion. That said, there are a handful of other reasons why Ridley possibly won't be added, but "unpopularity" is not one of them.

But seriously, some feedback. Do you guys want me to continue with using the Ray model or sketch the moveset?
Both methods are pretty cool, but I suggest you use the less time-consuming one.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Whichever way you're more comfortable with.
Both methods are pretty cool, but I suggest you use the less time-consuming one.
I'm completely comfortable with doing this either way, which is why I gave the option. Both are going to consume my time regardless, so I'm not worried about how much effort I have to put into either method. I'm just trying to appeal through whichever method is most preferred.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I'm completely comfortable with doing this either way, which is why I gave the option. Both are going to consume my time regardless, so I'm not worried about how much effort I have to put into either method. I'm just trying to appeal through whichever method is most preferred.
If you put it that way, then I myself prefer the sketches. Gotta say you're doing an excellent job.

Kuroda

Smash Rookie
I may get lynched for this but if a metroid prime antagonist is what people want why not consider Sylux? I think he can be cloned from samus (he appears as a trophy in the game too) and that will add a new character, a metroid prime antagonist which can negate both ridley and dark samus. On another note, is young link out of the question?

Last edited:

Spire

III
BRoomer
I prefer the sketched method. More uniform, less demanding of 'shopping; innately more convincing.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I may get lynched for this but if a metroid prime antagonist is what people want why not consider Sylux? I think he can be cloned from samus (he appears as a trophy in the game too) and that will add a new character, a metroid prime antagonist which can negate both ridley and dark samus. On another note, is young link out of the question?
Because Sylux is unimportant next to both Ridley and Dark Samus. They're both better candidates. Young Link is not out of the question, as it were, but Toon Link IS Young Link, so YL has almost no chance.

Solbliminal, I really don't favor either method so I'm neutral, but a lot of people seem to be leaning towards the sketches.

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
Hi, I'm here to shut up the nutbar suggesting Young Link. You may remember me for my works back in earlier pages, such as in the 60's, 70's, and onward. I'm here to let you know that this is a bad idea, and that people care about you. It is because we care that we have to tell you that the notion is stupid, and that all of Young Link's mechanics have been consolidated into Toon Link already.

Also, as much as Sylux was my favorite character in MP:H (dat alt-form attack, bruh), he's just not significant enough to be considered, in my opinion. I still prefer Dark Samus over Ridley, though.

Also, also; I still say a projectile jab for Ray is downright backwards. What's your full moveset, again?

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
I still say the Knuckle Gun should be the jab, and that the Normal Gun would make an excellent neutral special. I mean, what goes on n-B if the jab is the projectile? It's downright goofy.

Fortress

Smash Master
I've had thoughts that n-B could be the Dragon Gun, with weak homing and good range, the Flame Gun for a constant spread of damage, or... I forget.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I'm just sitting here waiting for the next Project M character reveal.

The discussion here has gotten pretty dull aside from those awesome Toad and Balloon Fighter ideas. Also, Solbliminal's Ray is interesting, too.

But overall I think a lot of us are just checking in kind of with a bored countenance like *sigh* maybe something cool will happen today, maybe not.

...ALTHOUGH

XXXX1000

Smash Apprentice
Hey, do you guys remember how even though Fox and Captain Falcon never got into fist fights in their games, they still use their arms and legs for attacks in SSB because it makes sense that they could do that

well what if Ray used his arms and legs for attacks, even though he never got into fist fights in his games, because it makes sense that he could do that

(seriously he's a robot, his neutrals can be robot-related melee attacks and no one would lose sleep)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom