• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Hey, do you guys remember how even though Fox and Captain Falcon never got into fist fights in their games, they still use their arms and legs for attacks in SSB because it makes sense that they could do that

well what if Ray used his arms and legs for attacks, even though he never got into fist fights in his games, because it makes sense that he could do that

(seriously he's a robot, his neutrals can be robot-related melee attacks and no one would lose sleep)
Didn't someone say something about him having melee attacks but even though they were melee weapons they were still called "guns"?

Fortress

Smash Master
Hey, do you guys remember how even though Fox and Captain Falcon never got into fist fights in their games, they still use their arms and legs for attacks in SSB because it makes sense that they could do that

well what if Ray used his arms and legs for attacks, even though he never got into fist fights in his games, because it makes sense that he could do that

(seriously he's a robot, his neutrals can be robot-related melee attacks and no one would lose sleep)
To be fair, the Knuckle Gun is a psuedo-physical attack that already fits the bill, and all of the models in the series have a physical attack utilizing their bodies. Does nobody actually play Custom Robo but me?

Didn't someone say something about him having melee attacks but even though they were melee weapons they were still called "guns"?
Probably myself, since I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one who's played the series lol

Last edited:

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Oh! I'll definitely get around to it, I loved the Pokémon one so yeah. They're both by 1Kids Entertainment, right?
No, Yu-gi-oh abridged was made by CardGameFTW, he hasn't been posting to Youtube much anymore due to legal issues to my knowledge, but he does have a website. I'll PM you the link if I can find it.

Shin F.

Smash Master

That's crazy. You're crazy. Stop being crazy.

In all seriousness, though, I want Ray to be analogous to SSB4's Mega Man, with most of his attacks being projectiles and very few physical ones where it fits the bill. (Like the Mega Upper / Knuckle Gun)

Oh! I'll definitely get around to it, I loved the Pokémon one so yeah. They're both by 1Kids Entertainment, right?
LittleKuriboh does YuGiOh Abridged.

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
No, Yu-gi-oh abridged was made by CardGameFTW, he hasn't been posting to Youtube much anymore due to legal issues to my knowledge, but he does have a website. I'll PM you the link if I can find it.
Actually, they've been posting a lot recently. We're finally out of the digital world and back into the tournament.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
He's actually called LittleKuriboh, CardGamesFTW is just his channel name because the original was taken down bcuz copyright.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Alright, cool.

So enough dawdling around, let's actually discuss ol' Mach here. How do you think Wario's motorcycle would work in a Project M environment since Mach would obviously have to use it?

EDIT: apparently it's actually LittleKuriboh. I'll look HIM up then.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Alright, cool.

So enough dawdling around, let's actually discuss ol' Mach here. How do you think Wario's motorcycle would work in a Project M environment since Mach would obviously have to use it?
The better question is - should he always be on it, or just use it as a move like Wario does? That'll play a heavy part in what his moveset becomes. It might be hard to believably animate things like jumps and ledge grabs while he's on his bike. I think that's why Sakurai passed over him for Melee, even.

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Well I don't think he has to or should use Wario's bike. He could be designed as always on his bike. There are plenty of ways to fight on a bike. Just watch Ride to Hell:Retribution.

XXXX1000

Smash Apprentice
bleh I haven't played Custom Robo since before Wii launched so it's been ~8 yrs, never got the ds one either. I don't remember there being melee "guns" but you seem to know more than I do!

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
The better question is - should he always be on it, or just use it as a move like Wario does? That'll play a heavy part in what his moveset becomes. It might be hard to believably animate things like jumps and ledge grabs while he's on his bike. I think that's why Sakurai passed over him for Melee, even.
Hmm good point. Personally I think he should only have it as one of his moves, though that move could be central to what he does. It might also have to work differently than Wario's Bike did as a move.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Well I don't think he has to or should use Wario's bike. He could be designed as always on his bike. There are plenty of ways to fight on a bike. Just watch Ride to Hell:Retribution.
Fighting, yes, but what about jumping and ledge grabbing? Dodging? Air Dodging, even? How would he pratfall? What would be his get-up attack? It's the little things like that which would be hard to do right.

Either way, I want to see him use a Ghost Rider-like chain somewhere in his moveset. The idea just screams 'right' to me.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
The bike could spontaneously appear for his dash and be used for followups, but that could be pretty weird. He could also use it for some specials. Whatever it becomes, it should be jump-cancellable, because, you know, everything good and sweet is always JC-able

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Am I the only one who really wants Banjo & Kazooie to be in project M? We all know they won't be in SSB4, there final smash could be like yoshi's, kazooie flying and shooting bomb eggs, or they can sumon the giant jingo, you know, the one who knocked grunty off the tower, and the victims who are Infront of him during the final smash would be paralyzed in fear, some one please take my thought into consideration ^-^

Fortress

Smash Master
bleh I haven't played Custom Robo since before Wii launched so it's been ~8 yrs, never got the ds one either. I don't remember there being melee "guns" but you seem to know more than I do!
Did you play the N64 titles, the gameboy one, or the gamecube one?

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Jumping doesn't seem like that much of a problem. Ledge stuff is definitely more complicated but still doable, I can think of a few ways it could work.

Last edited:

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Am I the only one who really wants Banjo & Kazooie to be in project M? We all know they won't be in SSB4, there final smash could be like yoshi's, kazooie flying and shooting bomb eggs, or they can sumon the giant jingo, you know, the one who knocked grunty off the tower, and the victims who are Infront of him during the final smash would be paralyzed in fear, some one please take my thought into consideration ^-^
No Nintendo, no go.

Shin F.

Smash Master
They can't be in the game because they aren't already in Brawl. That's PMBR's rule, not ours.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
http://projectmgame.com/en/news/clone-engine-blogpost-limits-restrictions-and-possibilities

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Fighting, yes, but what about jumping and ledge grabbing? Dodging? Air Dodging, even? How would he pratfall? What would be his get-up attack? It's the little things like that which would be hard to do right.

Either way, I want to see him use a Ghost Rider-like chain somewhere in his moveset. The idea just screams 'right' to me.
Maybe the chain could be a major part of his physical attacks. He could be cloned off of Zero Suit Samus.

But then we wouldn't have Wario's bike article within easy reach. Hmm...

Fortress

Smash Master
How about have him use the chain for the majority of his attacks, and no bike at all? I mean, Cap. Falcon doesn't use the Blue Falcon at all outside of FS.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
How about have him use the chain for the majority of his attacks, and no bike at all? I mean, Cap. Falcon doesn't use the Blue Falcon at all outside of FS.
This is what I was thinking, as well. Perhaps the bike could be used for one of his specials, like Wario's, and PMBR can just get creative with the rest of it like Sakurai did with the good Captain.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Not a bad idea, but at the same time it doesn't make Mach Rider stand out as unique. I doubt Mach would be hype to lots of people if he was just another generic physical fighter with ZSS' whip weapon.

Edit: to elaborate I'd be fine with it if the PMBR did what Sakurai did with Cap. Falcon like Shin says, but the bike should still play a vital role in his arsenal as a special.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Not a bad idea, but at the same time it doesn't make Mach Rider stand out as unique. I doubt Mach would be hype to lots of people if he was just another generic physical fighter with ZSS' whip weapon.
But just think of all the Belmont skins that will pop up for him on the Vault!

I would keep his bike for at least a couple of moves, though. We really shouldn't ditch it completely, just don't have him on it all the time.

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
This is what I was thinking, as well. Perhaps the bike could be used for one of his specials, like Wario's, and PMBR can just get creative with the rest of it like Sakurai did with the good Captain.
I figured that Mach could be have a moveset similar to Falcon's, but with some long-range stuff with the chain.

As for attacks that could incorporate the bike?

Up-B
Forward-B
Various aerials (could do some sweet tricks and whatnot)
Neutral-B

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I see his bike being more similar to Sonic's SideB than Wario's bike. You just kinda roll through ******* but you also have options out of it.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I figured that Mach could be have a moveset similar to Falcon's, but with some long-range stuff with the chain.
In that case the tip of the whip should have a kneecap on it. The Knee of Justice, used on the ground from afar.

Oh, I can imagine how hated it'll be already *grins*

Last edited:

XXXX1000

Smash Apprentice
I played the GC Custom Robo, I loved using Shrike robo but don't remember what other parts. I want to say Dragon Gun but I might just be mixing that up with something else

Fortress

Smash Master
I played the GC Custom Robo, I loved using Shrike robo but don't remember what other parts. I want to say Dragon Gun but I might just be mixing that up with something else
Shrike? Not as good as Swift, but not as bad as... anybody else. Little Raiders all the way. My old build was:

Body: Swift
Gun: Knuckle
Bomb: Geo-Trap/Wall (matchup dependent)
Pod: Umbrella
Leg: anything to assist in turning ability

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, the Knuckle Gun is a psuedo-physical attack that already fits the bill, and all of the models in the series have a physical attack utilizing their bodies. Does nobody actually play Custom Robo but me?

Probably myself, since I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one who's played the series lol

It's a pretty pretentious thing to suggest that you're the only person here who knows anything about Custom Robo, especially when it's clear that at least Solbliminal knows the series well.

To note, I have also played Custom Robo and the way I see it is that while the knuckle gun might be the obvious choice to make the move like other characters have it it's also the most boring choice when thinking about making Ray an interesting and unique character. He has such a clearly different theme that it'd really be a wasted opportunity to restrict him to fighting exactly like everyone else. Essentially giving Ray a proper projectile for his most base attack really captures the sort of character he should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom