• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
You missed the entire point of my post, didn't you? The point was that Sakurai (who is the one who first said Ridley is too big) can be wrong about character's potential as a fighter. He changed his mind about Villager and made it work. That was the point.

Ridley's size is almost a non-factor next to his tenacity and ferocity. Also, if you hadn't noticed, PM has already enlarged Bowser's size from vBrawl. Ridley wouldn't need to be much bigger than that.
Now, what's wrong with that picture above? Absolutely nothing. Ridley could be perfectly feasible as a playable character at that size. Also, take a look at this:
In this hunched over stance (similar to his crouch and only slightly smaller than his size in Super Metroid), Ridley still maintains a good deal of his size while not being too big for gameplay purposes. He could even be a bit bigger and he probably wouldn't be overly large.
Never said that Sakurai could never be wrong.

You do realize that Ridley was still over three times Samus' size in Super Metroid? The reason why Ridley has changed much in size throughout the franchise was because of the incarnations like Meta Ridley or Omega Ridley. Any actual size changes that the real Ridley has are two inch differences that it isn't even worth noting since Ridley has always been three times Samus' size. Samus could even fit in his mouth; that's how big he is in the franchise.

Charizard made sense due to his anatomy and his size in the games as well as the animes. I don't see why the Squirtle comparison is valid in the sizing. Samus being the same height as Ridley makes no sense to Ridley as a character. Throughout the Mario franchise, Bowser's size has fluctuated from Super Mario World to Super Mario 64 to even his godzilla size in Super Mario Sunshine. Throughout the majority of those games, Bowser has always been at a size that Nintendo wants him to be like the size in Super Mario 64 and the original Super Mario Galaxy. Bowser is still towering in comparison to his arch-rival Mario in the Smash franchise. You take a look at Smash 4 and you can clearly see the similarity of sizing throughout the Mario franchise as well when you compare him to Mario. It's the same thing with Ridley throughout the majority of the Metroid franchise except that Ridley has always been over three times Samus' size. To shrink him down to something like Bowser's size in Project M or Smash 4 would make Ridley look like a hunched-back lizard than a ferocious space pirate leader that caused the deaths of many innocent people including Samus' parents.

I do want Ridley in Smash Bros as a playable character. I really do; he deserves it given his deadly history with the powerful bounty hunter. The sad thing is that Ridley just doesn't have a place in the Smash universe as a playable character. Maybe the PMBR might throw in Ridley just because many people are begging them to do it, but you certainly won't see him in Smash Bros 4. I just see that as a mistake.

Speaking of sizing down, why not have Mother Brain in Project M as a playable character? Make her design the same as she was in Super Metroid with the legs and such. I'm sure she could be sized down as many people say that Ridley can be. I mean, the "one size fits all" works right?

Oh dear, my analysis is long. x_x

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
So is the fact that Ridley doesn't look that humanoid to some people what's keeping them from supporting him?

Somebody explain Ivysaur to me, then.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Spoilered to keep from cluttering the page.
Never said that Sakurai could never be wrong.

Charizard made sense due to his anatomy and his size in the games as well as the animes. I don't see why the Squirtle comparison is valid in the sizing. Samus being the same height as Ridley makes no sense to Ridley as a character. Throughout the Mario franchise, Bowser's size has fluctuated from Super Mario World to Super Mario 64 to even his godzilla size in Super Mario Sunshine. Throughout the majority of those games, Bowser has always been at a size that Nintendo wants him to be like the size in Super Mario 64 and the original Super Mario Galaxy. Bowser is still towering in comparison to his arch-rival Mario in the Smash franchise. You take a look at Smash 4 and you can clearly see the similarity of sizing throughout the Mario franchise as well when you compare him to Mario. It's the same thing with Ridley throughout the majority of the Metroid franchise except that Ridley has always been over three times Samus' size. To shrink him down to something like Bowser's size in Project M or Smash 4 would make Ridley look like a hunched-back lizard than a ferocious space pirate leader that caused the deaths of many innocent people including Samus' parents.
You again missed the point - this time of the size comparison chart. It was there to show how he could easily be resized to that point and was showing him against other characters of varying size (and Samus) to give a sense of scale. It wasn't making a statement at all about resizing other characters. Also, it may have escaped your notice, but uh...

^ Ridley is a hunched-back lizard.

He's not even the same height as Samus in the chart. He's bigger because he's hunched over and still reaches her height. Now, besides that, Ridley changes quite a bit in size. Case in point: just look at Other M by itself.

I'd say he changed in size, and unless he just magically grew instantly to 3x Samus, it was likely fairly gradual. There's no reason that his playable state can't be at a size where he hasn't yet reached his full growth. Put him in a state just after Mysterious creature where he has his iconic look, but still isn't fully grown. Hell, you don't even need him to fight in his iconic appearance. You could put him as his appearance as the mysterious creature and have him change into the hulking monstrosity up there for his FS.

Finally - since when has Smash cared about canon, anyways? Ganondorf is much smaller in Smash than he is in the game his appearance was based on.

I do want Ridley in Smash Bros as a playable character. I really do; he deserves it given his deadly history with the powerful bounty hunter. The sad thing is that Ridley just doesn't have a place in the Smash universe as a playable character. Maybe the PMBR might throw in Ridley just because many people are begging them to do it, but you certainly won't see him in Smash Bros 4. I just see that as a mistake.
He could work as long as whoever designed him had the creativity and will to make him work. Someone could even make him work as his gigantic size if they really put the effort into it - and make no mistake, if PMBR choose to do Ridley, they'll put the effort it. To do anything less would undermine all the hard work they've put into the rest of the game. There's no way they would just "throw him in."
Speaking of sizing down, why not have Mother Brain in Project M as a playable character? Make her design the same as she was in Super Metroid with the legs and such. I'm sure she could be sized down as many people say that Ridley can be. I mean, the "one size fits all" works right?
Because she's not as iconic as Ridley, of course. If she were, I'd say "why not?"
Oh dear, my analysis is long. x_x
That would be because you looked too much into the size comparison chart :p

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Ridley can work in smash.

They probably won't put him in Smash 4 or Project M though.
I still think he'll be in smash 4.

If the stages shown= character, he has a strong chance.

But again I agree, he can work in smash, the question really is.... are they willing to put in the work?

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I wish people would just drop "character" already.

I don't like them, or have a personal reason I feel they shouldn't be in the game, so everyone should adhere to that.

Anyone who disagrees with me should just not do that because that's obviously a dumb idea as only my ideas are the best ideas.

GenericName

Smash Apprentice
I wish people would just drop "character" already.

I don't like them, or have a personal reason I feel they shouldn't be in the game, so everyone should adhere to that.

Anyone who disagrees with me should just not do that because that's obviously a dumb idea as only my ideas are the best ideas.
Did I ever say that? No. It's really annoying how people pretty much complain about Ridley all the damn time instead of proposing new ideas.

If anything, you're proving to be an example of your own capriciousness you tried to "find" in my statement.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I still think he'll be in smash 4.

If the stages shown= character, he has a strong chance.

But again I agree, he can work in smash, the question really is.... are they willing to put in the work?
Don't bet on it. Sakurai even said in a subtle hint that an enemy will come into the fight on the Pyrosphere stage. Ridley is going to be a stage hazard there and to put him in as a playable character would cause them to disable the stage hazard which messes up competitive play viability for that stage.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
SOLBLIMINAL'S GRAND TOPIC CHANGING ENTRANCE!!!!

I think we should talk about Ray.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Don't bet on it. Sakurai even said in a subtle hint that an enemy will come into the fight on the Pyrosphere stage. Ridley is going to be a stage hazard there and to put him in as a playable character would cause them to disable the stage hazard which messes up competitive play viability for that stage.
He never said the hazard was ridley. I saw the quote from him as well, there's alot of bosses that could appear on the pyrosphere, it doesn't necessarily mean ridley.

But this isn't the place for smash 4 talk, lets just talk about *looks up* ray.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Did I ever say that? No. It's really annoying how people pretty much complain about Ridley all the damn time instead of proposing new ideas.

If anything, you're proving to be an example of your own capriciousness you tried to "find" in my statement.
Divisive characters causing debates. Would you expect anything less?

As for new ideas, I'm sure we've pretty much covered an extremely good amount of ideas and now the ones that are being discussed are the ones that really interest people, or people really don't want to see. I.E Pichu, Ridley, Lyn.

There was nothing to find in your statement, I merely adjusted the first statement to fit every divisive character that a specific individual is sick of hearing about. The following statements only apply to you if you want them to.

Ridley is what people are arguing about right now. If something else is to be argued, someone has to propose something that is more interesting to argue about.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Hey, I have a novel idea ~ Let's look through Brawl's stickers, pick a character no one has brought up but could have potential, and talk about them!

Or we could talk about Ray or Balloon Fighter or someone like that.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I'd like to talk about Amy for Project M. She could smash very well with her Piko Piko Hammer. She'd be like a faster version of Dedede without multi-jumps.

NWRL

Smash Ace
I'd like to talk about Amy for Project M. She could smash very well with her Piko Piko Hammer. She'd be like a faster version of Dedede without multi-jumps.
naw, no more sanic please, my autism hurts after sonic boom

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Seriously? I don't get how everything about Sonic Boom is so wrong other than Knuckles missing out on Leg Day. xD If we don't want another Sonic character, then why do many people want Lyn? We already filled in a clone slot for a Fire Emblem character.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Seriously? I don't get how everything about Sonic Boom is so wrong other than Knuckles missing out on Leg Day. xD If we don't want another Sonic character, then why do many people want Lyn? We already filled in a clone slot for a Fire Emblem character.
Considering that Sonic and Metal gear characters are third party characters whereas FE characters are Nintendo characters, it's kinda understandable why people wouldn't be keen on more than one character per third-party franchise whilst being okay with another FE character, and this is coming from a huge Sonic fan.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Maybe he meant they would appear there IN RIDLEY'S REVEAL TRAILER YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Considering that Sonic and Metal gear characters are third party characters whereas FE characters are Nintendo characters, it's kinda understandable why people wouldn't be keen on more than one character per third-party franchise whilst being okay with another FE character, and this is coming from a huge Sonic fan.
Yeah, but we already got a FE character filled in with a clone slot. Why not have Krystal put into the game with her own moveset? She is a Nintendo franchise character, she is significant during Star Fox Adventures, Assault, and Command as well as filling in for more female fighters.

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
Krystal... oh god no.
Yes, let's get one of the most hated characters and put her in, that'll really reel them in.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Yeah, but we already got a FE character filled in with a clone slot. Why not have Krystal put into the game with her own moveset? She is a Nintendo franchise character, she is significant during Star Fox Adventures, Assault, and Command as well as filling in for more female fighters.
Slippy tho
SLIPPY tho
SLIPPY THO
SLIPPY THOOOOOOOOO
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO slippy tho

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Yeah not touching any argumentative topics.

So about Ray. Would it interest anyone to say the way I envisioned him working is rather opposite to that of how Little Mac appears to play? He would be a ranged combo character who heavily relies on distance to land his best moves, whole his close range moves deal minor damage with very little knock-back. The close range moves could likely even be used as set ups to get some distance apart from the opponent. I guess the best term would be a reverse spacies.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Going to put this out here before you guys get started on a pointless argument.

Opinions, opinions.
Yes, you have yours and we have ours. The poll usually speaks for what the majority is willing to talk about. Majority is uninterested in Krystal and anyone else in the negatives. Unless you can prove her worth to that majority, there is no point in bringing her up. Same goes for anyone in the top 5 positions. They've proven both popularity and capability. There is no point in discussing something that has enough ground support.

Opinions like this are no better, and should be kept to ones self. It is opinions like these that start ignorant Pichu/Ridley/Ganon type discussions that have taken place more times than they've needed to. Stop feeding the fire.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
P:M said third party is fine if it appears in game, so ****ing suck it up, pancake.
They also said Shadow and Gray Fox are the least worrisome to put in because they had voice actors credited in Brawl. Does that mean those two, out of all other possible choices, would actually satisfy Sonic and Metal Gear fans? I know there are a lot of Shadow fans for whatever reason, but I don't see people being excited for Gray Fox, so even if they could make it in there's little chance it'd actually go over well with players.

Personally, if a Sonic character got in, I'd like it to be Tails, Knuckles, or Eggman Robotnik. They were in the Genesis games that you don't have to be a hardcore Sonic fan to love and enjoy like the best of the Super Nintendo classics.

I'll admit, I haven't played much of Metal Gear aside from Metal Gear Solids 2 and 3 on PS2, but I think I can conjecture that if Metal Gear fans wanted another MGS character, they'd probably go for either Raiden or someone else they played with at length. I know how inflammatory Raiden was back when MGS 2 came out, but people have warmed up to him now, and even back then people that didn't immediately go into HATE MODE because you weren't really playing Snake himself thought he was interesting because he was everything Snake wasn't (and not in a lame horribly clichéd way like Shadow was--if he did things embarassing to himself you could tell the development team was sort of in on the joke and wasn't always trying to make you take this seriously). So he has his fans.

If Shadow or Gray Fox got in it wouldn't be because tons of people wanted them, it'd be because they were the most legal to do with voices. And what fun is that? EDIT: I'd wager the PMBR is aware of this, so I think they're going to be less inclined to add any third party characters either way.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I think we discussed this already.
No i'm 100% sure we did.

Amy definitely could do well in smash, but would more than likely get pushed back in favor of Tails, Knuckles or even Shadow.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
God damnit, I do not know what you people have against Shadow the man.

He was like the best character in Sonic Adventure 2, and that game was still more fun than all the old sonic games. (OPINION)

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
God damnit, I do not know what you people have against Shadow the man.

He was like the best character in Sonic Adventure 2, and that game was still more fun than all the old sonic games. (OPINION)
I think it might be because of his own game. :p I do like Shadow though until he showed up again in Sonic Generations. His voice actor was terrible.

It is a shame that Amy doesn't have much of a chance even though she can transition well in a Smash environment.

For Metal Gear characters, I'd like to see The Boss from MGS3. I can't think of a more influential female character that I have seen. Emphasis on that I have seen since I'm sure that there are cooler female characters in video games that other people know of, but I digress since she probably won't be popular enough to be considered. I find it a bit of a crime myself, but it is my opinion. Gray Fox is awesome, but so could Raiden. Raiden can have possibilities more so than Gray Fox where he is mostly a sword character. Although more people want to see more characters from actual Nintendo franchises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom