• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
That is actually interesting. Where would the clones get their voice clips from? Do we have any confirmation on this?

As for Lyn, we can pull a Lucina (PSA) and grab clips from Fire Emblem: Awakening. They have plenty of voice clips to swipe.

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
Awakening's Einherjar don't have voices, so if one were to pull voice clips from Awakening for Lyn, they would not be able to be actual Lyn voice clips. Which just makes the whole idea a bit silly. I'd suggest finding a new voice actor.
While they're at it, they should give Marth and Roy English voices.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
The backroom said earlier that they don't like replacing music with other games' music (i.e. putting Hyrule Castle, Dream Land 64, and Saffron City's music over other tracks even though they weren't already present in Brawl), and that they have people working on putting original music into the game. As such, I imagine they'll make the same approach with voices, so I'm sure they'd work on that when need be.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Voice actress seems like the favorited and best choice. I would worry if they brought voice clips from Awakening as maybe potential C&D infringements..

Last edited:

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
So, no Little Mac for Project M...
YEAH WOO HOO! ER... umm... dammit.

The PMBR could have done a lot of cool stuff with him.

Not to say that Sakurai did a bad job or anything.

Either way, it's cool to see that Mac is back.

I'm a poet and I know it.

Ginge

Smash Ace
My only issue is with his Final Smash. But since I don't use items, that doesn't matter much. It looks like a fun move set.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Yeah, he looks like fun. I can't wait to play as Balrog er... Dudley... Akihiko... Smash boxer.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I'm gonna be one of those people that says that Ridley can't be in Project M as a playable character even though I really want him in it due to his history with Samus. Soooo, yeah. :p

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Funny thing about telling people what they "can't do". They tend to do it.
I never said that they can't. I'm just saying that having Ridley in any Smash game as a playable character is not a good idea. There is a reason why some people say he is too big. It goes a bit deep on that front.

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
I never said that they can't. I'm just saying that having Ridley in any Smash game as a playable character is not a good idea. There is a reason why some people say he is too big. It goes a bit deep on that front.
There has been a considerable amount of discussion as to why this is not the case.

Shin F.

Smash Master
People say Ridley is too big just because Sakurai said he's too big. They're just mindlessly repeating why Sakurai said he didn't include him.

You know what? Sakurai also said Villager's not a fighter. Guess who's in Smash 4 as a fighter?

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
My only issue is with his Final Smash. But since I don't use items, that doesn't matter much. It looks like a fun move set.
Giga mac is from punch out wii, so they got everything down.

they did a great job, though PM would have added more star punches.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
There has been a considerable amount of discussion as to why this is not the case.
People say Ridley is too big because Sakurai said he's too big. They're just mindlessly repeating why Sakurai said he didn't include him.

You know what? Sakurai also said Villager's not a fighter. Guess who's in Smash 4 as a fighter?
First off, I don't see how Villager is relevant in the Ridley discussion as he is a human. Any person that is human/humanoid can be resized to fit in the Smash environment. Case in point, Olimar. I will admit that I didn't think of having Villager in a Smash game, but I could see him be able to fight. If they could get a robot to be a fighter, then I could see Villager fight too. :p

I certainly would like to be linked to such arguments to see why that isn't the case. Personally, I do find the whole size argument to be a strong one. The thing is that just because the resizing tactic worked for Bowser doesn't mean that it can work for Ridley as well. His size is part of what makes Ridley intimidating and dangerous in the Metroid franchise. He's big enough to hold Samus in the palm of his hand and grind her across the walls like in Metroid and in the Brawl cutscene with Ridley, Pikachu, and Samus. Do you realize how weird and deformed Ridley would like at Bowser's level of height in Project M or even Smash 4? Resizing Ridley just doesn't work because of his anatomy.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
First off, I don't see how Villager is relevant in the Ridley discussion as he is a human. Any person that is human/humanoid can be resized to fit in the Smash environment. Case in point, Olimar.

I certainly would like to be linked to such arguments to see why that isn't the case. Personally, I do find the whole size argument to be a strong one. The thing is that just because the resizing tactic worked for Bowser doesn't mean that it can work for Ridley as well. His size is part of what makes Ridley intimidating and dangerous in the Metroid franchise. He's big enough to hold Samus in the palm of his hand and grind her across the walls like in Metroid and in the Brawl cutscene with Ridley, Pikachu, and Samus. Do you realize how weird and deformed Ridley would like at Bowser's level of height in Project M or even Smash 4? Resizing Ridley just doesn't work because of his anatomy.
You missed the entire point of my post, didn't you? The point was that Sakurai (who is the one who first said Ridley is too big) can be wrong about character's potential as a fighter. He changed his mind about Villager and made it work. That was the point.

Ridley's size is almost a non-factor next to his tenacity and ferocity. Also, if you hadn't noticed, PM has already enlarged Bowser's size from vBrawl. Ridley wouldn't need to be much bigger than that.
Now, what's wrong with that picture above? Absolutely nothing. Ridley could be perfectly feasible as a playable character at that size. Also, take a look at this:
In this hunched over stance (similar to his crouch and only slightly smaller than his size in Super Metroid), Ridley still maintains a good deal of his size while not being too big for gameplay purposes. He could even be a bit bigger and he probably wouldn't be overly large.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm still expecting Ridley to make an appearance in Smash 4. If he doesn't, I'm sure the PMBR can do an amazing job with him.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
The only thing "too big to fit Smash" about Ridley is the amount of hype he generates.

....Oh, and hi guys.

Arteen

Smash Lord
If anything, I'd be more concerned about animating Ridley.

He's non-humanoid with a strange posture, which is difficult enough. Then he's got a long tail, large wings and an elbow neck to deal with. Every single animation will need to take all of those appendeges into account. I expect that will take considerable more work than just a regular human character would.

GenericName

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, he looks like fun. I can't wait to play as Balrog er... Dudley... Akihiko... Smash boxer.
Wow...

Little Mac came before all of these characters.

If anything, you're playing as Little Mac in those games

MLGF

Smash Lord
Yes, but this is Little Mac's fighting debut, so his playstyle is based around the boxer archetype rather then the boxer archetype being based on him.
And take a joke.

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
People say Ridley is too big just because Sakurai said he's too big. They're just mindlessly repeating why Sakurai said he didn't include him.
Not really. I thought it was proven a while back that Sakurai never said Ridley was "too big". My quick Google-based research tells me that his words in the interview were these: "I think that would probably be pretty impossible. [Laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that be all right? [Laughs]"

In any case, just because someone has an opinion you don't like, doesn't mean they are mindlessly parroting someone else. He gave detailed reasons as to why he feels Ridley wouldn't work out well, which doesn't seem to be the stance of someone who doesn't know what they're talking about about and are just repeating a tidbit they heard somewhere. I tend to agree with what Alex Night said, and I don't care what Sakurai says about the matter.

....Oh, and hi guys.
There you are! Almost all the Ray hype disappeared while you were gone. These are sad times.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
There you are! Almost all the Ray hype disappeared while you were gone. These are sad times.
Sorry. Life was calling. Had to take a break from Smash Boards and had some downtime to work on personal projects.

But no worries. I still am going to work on the Ray moveset.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Rasgar is right. Sakurai didn't say that Ridley was too big to be a character. People just started assuming that because of Ridley's Brawl appearance, where he is significantly larger than some of his canon appearances, mind you.

That said, I completely support Ridley for the clone engine as I believe that he has more to bring to the table than the rest of the choices, especially if he were developed as a "godlike air-game but sloppy ground-game" type of character. As long as he is about Bowser-size or slightly bigger, it shouldn't come off as weird. They could also rework their design to make it look less lanky. Also keep in mind that he would be hunched over, the same way DK is (DK in a T-stance is actually the tallest character in the game).

As far as the PMBR is concerned, there are however 2 problems with Ridley. The first of which is his likelihood of being included in Smash 4, and with all the stuff going on there, his chances have never been better. The second problem, like Arteen said, is that he would be somewhat harder to animate, notably the tail and the wings.

I do believe that the PMBR is more than capable to make this character a reality, and the benefits of having Ridley (massive hype, more exposure to the mod, completely defining itself as a distinct Smash, etc.) in PM will outweigh the difficulties they might encounter in the process of making him. If, for one of two reasons listed in the above paragraph, Ridley does not make it, I expect them to necessarily give the slot to Dark Samus.

Roy of Pharae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4442-1640-3373
has there been any model leaks of Lyndis? are they using her brawl or awakening model? if they do take voice clips from brawl, it better be the japanese one, if that doesn't work, why not try awakening or maybe get someone to provide their own voice?

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
Regardless of what the reasons behind what he said are, Sakurai did say that Ridley wasn't doable and I'll bet that a lot of people do take that as an absolute on the subject. Also you really can't go making assumption about what someone is thinking but wasn't Shin F. making a generalisation just to raise the point about Sakrai maybe not always being right? I read that as, "a character that may not look doable is not necessarily so (even when the guy with the most authority on the subject says so) and that shouldn't just be assumed."
I don't really want to speak on his behalf but people kept bringing it up after he already tried to clarify himself so . . . my two cents.

That said, anyone saying Ridley is too big is still wrong. :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom