• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Seriously, who is Ray? I tried looking that name up and found nothing...

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
You aren't going to find anything on Ray if you just search Ray in google, it's a real name as well as being a noun.

Custom Robo is really one of those things more people should care about than do.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Seriously, who is Ray? I tried looking that name up and found nothing...
Ray is a type of robot series in the game Custom Robo. Robots of Ray's kind are generally the default robots you receive at the start of the game or upgrades for that series line. Ray MK III is the model used for the Assist Trophy in Brawl and the default robot of Custom Robo Arena. Though severely undersized to display the concept that your character is summoning a toy robot, Ray actually would be around the same height as Little Mac from the recent Smash 4 unveil, if not taller, when scaled to a fighter format.

In short:

These are Ray.

Roy of Pharae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4442-1640-3373
When I first thought of Ray, thought of Ray from Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals. speaking of which, we should have more unique characters that don't always use swords.

Spire

III
BRoomer
You aren't going to find anything on Ray if you just search Ray in google, it's a real name as well as being a noun.

Custom Robo is really one of those things more people should care about than do.
Then Nintendo needs to give people a reason to care about it. I've never played a Custom Robo and have no interest in doing so; Nintendo will have to make a new game [for the 3DS most likely] to spark new interest. Any series and its respective characters can take the limelight if properly strategized. No one really cared about Medusa before Kid Icarus Uprising. Palutena became popular thanks to Brawl, but it was more or less a one-man show before then. Case in point: I love Medusa! Her original design was very uninteresting however, and I cared not a smidgen until her redesign in Uprising. I've never played a Kid Icarus game, but I care a bit about its characters because their designs are Final Fantasy-esque. Sakurai and co have done a good job reviving it imo.

Oh yeah, on topic: Ray is pretty cool. 1/2 vote for Ray for sure. With the jetpack, gun, and general size, would he work best as a Diddy clone?

Last edited:

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Then Nintendo needs to give people a reason to care about it. I've never played a Custom Robo and have no interest in doing so; Nintendo will have to make a new game [for the 3DS most likely] to spark new interest. Any series and its respective characters can take the limelight if properly strategized. No one really cared about Medusa before Kid Icarus Uprising. Palutena became popular thanks to Brawl, but it was more or less a one-man show before then. Case in point: I love Medusa! Her original design was very uninteresting however, and I cared not a smidgen until her redesign in Uprising. I've never played a Kid Icarus game, but I care a bit about its characters because their designs are Final Fantasy-esque. Sakurai and co have done a good job reviving it imo.

Oh yeah, on topic: Ray is pretty cool. 1/2 vote for Ray for sure. With the jetpack, gun, and general size, would he work best as a Diddy clone?
I've never played the games giving me no way to know about their character but I still like them anyway bcuz... next gen grafix?

Shin F.

Smash Master
Not enough articles, probably. He's got quite a few, but I'd say Ray would probably work better as a Snake clone, since he would likely be pretty projectile-heavy and Snake has more articles than any other character.

For reference for those not around at the time, there was a member of PMBR who posted this link to Dantarion's website which lists every characters' articles.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal

Kind of the point of introducing a character to Smash is to expose a series. It is also a form of market strategy for overlooked games, which unfortunately was the case of Custom Robo in both its US released games. I would totally be up for a reboot of the series if Sakurai takes the wheel. They could do a greatly improved version of Kid Icarus: Uprising's multiplayer for the overall gameplay.

About his clone status, he can be rigged to really any character with a humanoid structure, but would likely be downscaled to around Luigi's height.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
They could do a greatly improved version of Kid Icarus: Uprising's multiplayer for the overall gameplay.
Implying Kid Icarus Uprising's Multiplayer wasn't already good.

Although if they do reboot the series, I hope they don't just make it Kid Icarus Uprising with robotz.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I've never played the games giving me no way to know about their character but I still like them anyway bcuz... next gen grafix?
If this is mockery, it's a piss-poor attempt. I mentioned nothing about the graphics of Kid Icarus Uprising. It's the artwork! Sure, it translates rather well into the game. The reboot was an opportunity to redesign old elements and I think they did a fantastic job at that. I'm a fan of design, not graphical prowess. They could have made a new 8/16-bit Kid Icarus utilizing the new character designs and even beyond the graphical limitations, the supportive artwork would remain the same. The character design could still be that of Uprising, but in-game they'd be composed of only a handful of pixels.

Take Yoshiitaka Amano's (added an extra i in his first name because of censor) artwork for the early Final Fantasies vs. how the games actually looked. The enemy sprites were larger so they could reflect his artwork as best as the graphics allowed, hence why they were inanimate, while the player sprites were simplified abstractions barely reminiscent of his artwork for they required animation. Sacrifices are made in translating concept art/design into the gaming interface. Those sacrifices are human decision and are very interesting to me. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Not enough articles, probably. He's got quite a few, but I'd say Ray would probably work better as a Snake clone, since he would likely be pretty projectile-heavy and Snake has more articles than any other character.

For reference for those not around at the time, there was a member of PMBR who posted this link to Dantarion's website which lists every characters' articles.
Actually come to think of it, Fox and Samus would be great bases for Ray. Don't know why they didn't come to mind initially.

Last edited:

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
If this is mockery, it's a piss-poor attempt. I mentioned nothing about the graphics of Kid Icarus Uprising. It's the artwork! Sure, it translates rather well into the game. The reboot was an opportunity to redesign old elements and I think they did a fantastic job at that. I'm a fan of design, not graphical prowess. They could have made a new 8/16-bit Kid Icarus utilizing the new character designs and even beyond the graphical limitations, the supportive artwork would remain the same. The character design could still be that of Uprising, but in-game they'd be composed of only a handful of pixels.

Take Yoshiitaka Amano's (added an extra i in his first name because of censor) artwork for the early Final Fantasies vs. how the games actually looked. The enemy sprites were larger so they could reflect his artwork as best as the graphics allowed, hence why they were inanimate, while the player sprites were simplified abstractions barely reminiscent of his artwork for they required animation. Sacrifices are made in translating concept art/design into the gaming interface. Those sacrifices are human decision and are very interesting to me. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Oh, sorry then. I thought you were one of those people who will love a game if it looks good enough. Although did they say it was a reboot? They constantly mention Pit defeating Medusa 25 years ago, and there was that 8 gate in the Pandora level where Pit sees the shops from the old games and goes "Now this takes me back" implying he's been there before.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Implying Kid Icarus Uprising's Multiplayer wasn't already good.

Although if they do reboot the series, I hope they don't just make it Kid Icarus Uprising with robotz.
Not implying that at all. I am implying that the Multiplayer as a standalone game would need improvements. This including greater customization of ones character, playstyle, and overall functions.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Well, I've not been exposed to the Custom Robo series and probably never will unless Nintendo wants to do a revive for it. The only Ray that I know off the top of my head in games is Metal Gear Ray. :p

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Well, I've not been exposed to the Custom Robo series and probably never will unless Nintendo wants to do a revive for it. The only Ray that I know off the top of my head in games is Metal Gear Ray. :p
The only way that will happen is if fans like myself are able to successfully expose the game enough to where it garners interest to demand a reboot. The most I can say is that it is worth the effort to pick up a cheap copy of the game to experience it yourself.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Graphics only exist to make a game look prettier.

A game can be really well done without stellar graphics, but you bet your ass people will go crazy over a great game with great graphics.

It's why they still want them to remake FF7.

Ginge

Smash Ace
I only ever played the store demo version of Custom Robo back when it came out. It was enjoyable, from what I remember.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Graphics only exist to make a game look prettier.

A game can be really well done without stellar graphics, but you bet your *** people will go crazy over a great game with great graphics.

It's why they still want them to remake FF7.
This is why Nintendo is a successful company. They do exactly what other companies are not willing to do. They appease their fans.

I only ever played the store demo version of Custom Robo back when it came out. It was enjoyable, from what I remember.
...And this. This is what I'm talking about. The game was successful enough to merit a sequel on the DS, so they were doing something right. It is just a matter of how little attention the game got from both the developers and players. To create a successful IP, you have to put time and effort into it making it an even better experience. I'm certain if this game got another shot on the 3DS, after getting proper Smash Bros exposure like Fire Emblem and Earthbound did, it would be more successful. This game was not properly marketed, and therefore it suffered.

Shin F.

Smash Master
...And this. This is what I'm talking about. The game was successful enough to merit a sequel on the DS, so they were doing something right. It is just a matter of how little attention the game got from both the developers and players. To create a successful IP, you have to put time and effort into it making it an even better experience. I'm certain if this game got another shot on the 3DS, after getting proper Smash Bros exposure like Fire Emblem and Earthbound did, it would be more successful. This game was not properly marketed, and therefore it suffered.
It's sad, really, just how many awesome games and series met their fate at the hand of bad / no marketing and being overshadowed by mainstream games with teh graficks. That applies to many mediums, as well, not just games.

But more on topic, Snake has more articles than I thought before I saw that page on Dantarion's website. A total of 11. Is that enough for the Ray moveset you came up with earlier, Sol, or would he need more?

Last edited:

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
they said they would make a remake of FF7 if they could make a game that sold more copies (so basically never).

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
It's sad, really, just how many awesome games and series met their fate at the hand of bad / no marketing and being overshadowed by mainstream games with teh graficks. That applies to many mediums, as well, not just games.

But more on topic, Snake has more articles than I thought before I saw that page on Dantarion's website. A total of 11. Is that enough for the Ray moveset you came up with earlier, Sol, or would he need more?
That is more than enough. In fact, I can go all out with that many and even improve what I had in mind.

Last edited:

Spire

III
BRoomer
they said they would make a remake of FF7 if they could make a game that sold more copies (so basically never).
Considering the visual style, character design and open-world nature of FF15, as well as Nomura's helming of the project, I could see its engine being used for a FF7 remake. The main cast look like The Turks.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Uh duh, The King of Hyrule's FS would be calling upon a flood. Could borrow the lavafall from Norfair, retexture to be water and deal big damage.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I want an Ice Climber sequel because Ice Climbers were the Pit of Melee and Pit got revived so they deserve it even more now *nobiashere*. I understand why it's hard to reboot Ice Climber, because it had no real interesting plot and only like 5 characters(Popo, Nana, the Polar Bear, the Condor, and the Topis). Regardless I'd love to see Ice Climber Uprising, or Icicle Mountain Warriors, or New Ice Climbers U, or Popo's New Mountain, or Nana's Return to Summit, or

Nice rant rite. CONDOR 4 CLONE ENGINE SCREW RIDLEY
actually an alt color reference to the condor for riddles would be pretty cool #instamain

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
You say that like their money is tainted somehow. If C.o.D fanboys shell out dollars to Nintendo so they can afford projects like Star Fox, Metroid and fund other lesser-known series, I don't care what they say on any website. Game companies have to make a profit and ultimately it doesn't matter what the quality is if it doesn't sell.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
You say that like their money is tainted somehow. If C.o.D fanboys shell out dollars to Nintendo so they can afford projects like Star Fox, Metroid and fund other lesser-known series, I don't care what they say on any website. Game companies have to make a profit and ultimately it doesn't matter what the quality is if it doesn't sell.
SUPER SMASH BROS. MODERN WARFARE!!!! BRB CONTACTING THE GHOST OF SHIGURA MIYAMOTO!!!!

Shin F.

Smash Master
CoD fanboys are just that - CoD fanboys. What makes you think they would buy any other game, but CoD? If that were the case, the Metroid Prime Trilogy probably would've done much, much better.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Where did I say the Shooter Crowd will "taint" their money? I was making a joke about how elitist a majority of the CoD fanboys are. I do have a question however:
Game companies have to make a profit and ultimately it doesn't matter what the quality is if it doesn't sell.
Please tell me you aren't implying that you think it's ok for game companies to not try as long as they sell. I don't care if Nintendo makes a FPS, as long as it's a good FPS.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Where did I say the Shooter Crowd will "taint" their money? I was making a joke about how elitist a majority of the CoD fanboys are. I do have a question however:
Please tell me you aren't implying that you think it's ok for game companies to not try as long as they sell. I don't care if Nintendo makes a FPS, as long as it's a good FPS.
Not like Metroid Prime was a bad FPS series. If they release that series on the 3DS, it will sell like hot cakes.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Not like Metroid Prime was a bad FPS series. If they release that series on the 3DS, it will sell like hot cakes.
Where the hell did I say or even imply that I thought Metroid Prime was bad? I love the Metroid Prime series, I even bought the trilogy despite already owning all the games.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Where the hell did I say or even imply that I thought Metroid Prime was bad? I love the Metroid Prime series, I even bought the trilogy despite already owning all the games.
Over reaction much? I was cementing your statement with solid backup. Calm your ****.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Over reaction much? I was cementing your statement with solid backup. Calm your ****.
What can I say? I'm an unpredictable ball of rage ready to strike at any moment with long ranting posts. I have a bit of a tendency to overreact to everything, I'm trying to get better at it.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
What can I say? I'm an unpredictable ball of rage ready to strike at any moment with long ranting posts. I have a bit of a tendency to overreact to everything, I'm trying to get better at it.
It's all good man.

Back on topic guys. What kind of character are you guys expecting out of Ray? What are your expectations of his playstyle?

Rage83

Smash Ace
As I said before. When compared to the options, Pichu is easily outshined. Of course any character brought to the table can be made fun and unique to the same extent if not more than what people are claiming Pichu can.
OutShined? Somebody has a case of DatAin'tFalco. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom