• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soupenomics

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-6913-7316
Honestly, Knuckles is iffy because of potential legal issues. That's the main thing from making me really believe this is true.
I don't think legal issues will get in the way. There are countless Brawl mods that add third party characters, but their companies never take legal action. Why? Because they're just mods, not actual games making profit off of their characters.

GenericName

Smash Apprentice
I don't think legal issues will get in the way. There are countless Brawl mods that add third party characters, but their companies never take legal action. Why? Because they're just mods, not actual games making profit off of their characters.
You forget that Smash 4 is on the way.
Ninty will take action if they think P:M will harm sales. And for one, most people arent publically using brawl mods the way P:M is. The mod is really starting to gain attention and the PMBR needs to keep their cards close to the vest to avoid a C&D. Plus Ninty hates wiimodders in general.

If only the PMBR somehow met Sakurai and they all just joined up into one awesome Smash Bros team. Imagine the greatness.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I'm a person that's very careful about spoiling anything, just because I absolutely hate spoilers, even for things that are really old.

That said, by gum, you're right! It's not like I haven't played Majora's Mask 10 times over, how could I forget how much of a prankster he was (Kafei anyone.) That wasn't just the mask.

Still though, since he was so enamored by the Mask, it would make sense that all of his attacks are either fierce and physical or involve dark magic and the mask. All the extra additions such as the blowgun still might not fit with that incarnation of him, just because of how into the Mask he was.

Edit: Also, I've decided to make a mockup of a CSS using the 5 "leaked" characters. I don't think it looks too bad, although something feels off and I'm not sure what.

I really like dat CSS, but I think all of the veterans need to be as close as possible to where they were in Melee. Ganon still needs to be under Falcon and ICs need to be roughly on the right.
I suggest...
-Move ICs to where Zelda is and shift the whole Zelda series right.
-Order the Kirby series so Kirby is closer to the middle of the roster.
-Maybe move Olimar to Pit's spot and move Pit in between Kirby and Ness? Idk, try it.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
Legal issues aren't a problem because Knuckles is already present in Brawl as a trophy/sticker/Green Hill Zone background.

He won't get in because it'd be mad sketchy. This isn't Mario & Sonic at the Winter Smash Games, it's Nintendo All-Stars in: Super Smash Bros Project M: The M Doesn't Stand for Melee Anymore Edition. Sonic is lucky to be included at all.

GenericName

Smash Apprentice
Legal issues aren't a problem because Knuckles is already present in Brawl as a trophy/sticker/Green Hill Zone background.

He won't get in because it'd be mad sketchy. This isn't Mario & Sonic at the Winter Smash Games, it's Nintendo All-Stars in: Super Smash Bros Project M: The M Doesn't Stand for Melee Anymore Edition. Sonic is lucky to be included at all.
Um no. Just because he's already in the game doesn't mean that Sega cant C&D the PMBR. Knuckles is their property and they can frankly do whatever they want with it. The PMBR hasn't licenced him after all.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Um no. Just because he's already in the game doesn't mean that Sega cant C&D the PMBR. Knuckles is their property and they can frankly do whatever they want with it. The PMBR hasn't licenced him after all.
But SEGA is incredibly open to mods, so they won't give a crap. Like, whether it's legal or not is up for debate, but SEGA simply won't care.

cmvnb3

Smash Apprentice
Skull Kid could be cloned if done so by a clever means. For instance, you could clone him off ROB and have him attack with his two fairy companions as his "arms". Majora used spinning bladed tops in the MM final battle that could replace ROB's gyro projectile, which would move very slowly on the ground as hazards. You could also replace ROB's laser with the fire beam majora used in its basic mask form. That's two specials easily cloned. ROB's arm spin could be red tentacles that sprout from majora's mask similar to another attack it used. The final special is ROB's thruster, which could be changed into something more unique for skull kid such as a flying ram with the mask, maybe with some magic effect coming off him like a blur similar to that super-speed the majora incarnation had when it ran around in the middle form with skinny legs. This is quite a good coverage of majora's moves as well as some of Skull kid's(the fairy attacks on Link that knocked him down when Skull kid escaped) and it's all more/less a ROB clone done in a very clever way that makes it seem almost completely different.(the fairy physicals would really set it apart)

ElGoombaswag

Hououin Kyoma
NNID
cdoggfuentes
Skull Kid could be cloned if done so by a clever means. For instance, you could clone him off ROB and have him attack with his two fairy companions as his "arms". Majora used spinning bladed tops in the MM final battle that could replace ROB's gyro projectile, which would move very slowly on the ground as hazards. You could also replace ROB's laser with the fire beam majora used in its basic mask form. That's two specials easily cloned. ROB's arm spin could be red tentacles that sprout from majora's mask similar to another attack it used. The final special is ROB's thruster, which could be changed into something more unique for skull kid such as a flying ram with the mask, maybe with some magic effect coming off him like a blur similar to that super-speed the majora incarnation had when it ran around in the middle form with skinny legs. This is quite a good coverage of majora's moves as well as some of Skull kid's(the fairy attacks on Link that knocked him down when Skull kid escaped) and it's all more/less a ROB clone done in a very clever way that makes it seem almost completely different.(the fairy physicals would really set it apart)
or make him a clone off of toon link

cmvnb3

Smash Apprentice
or make him a clone off of toon link
You need to elaborate on his moves. The PMBR has been saying that Skull kid would be made from scratch and they really don't want to have to put in so much work so there's a much higher chance of getting a character in when you can clone them. In Skull kid's case, using the two fairy companions Skull kid had as his "hands" that actually do the physical attacks would make it super easy to animate him as a clone!

Last edited:

El Fonz0

Smash Apprentice
Hmm
I like the idea of using the fairies as "hands", or "arms", so to speak.
Mainly, usage as the "physical" attacks

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
With PM confirmed for CEO, I wonder if we'll see a new release before June. If we're lucky enough they might even include a new character, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
It really wouldn't have the sort of polish that marks P:M's work if it was done like that. They wouldn't just be using another character's attacks with the new character's body in there, the only things that really need consideration when selecting who to clone a character off is how many articles the new character will need and having the number of bones match. They can and will be wanting to edit everything from there to make fitting movesets for the characters.

Last edited:

cmvnb3

Smash Apprentice
I know they aren't just re-skinning movesets, I mean it would be a lot easier to start with ROB's moves to modify into this Skull kid set. I'm just trying to find an easier way to make it as unique and true-to-the-character as possible while still being feasible and not too much work.

ElGoombaswag

Hououin Kyoma
NNID
cdoggfuentes
You need to elaborate on his moves. The PMBR has been saying that Skull kid would be made from scratch and they really don't want to have to put in so much work so there's a much higher chance of getting a character in when you can clone them. In Skull kid's case, using the two fairy companions Skull kid had as his "hands" that actually do the physical attacks would make it super easy to animate him as a clone!
well skull kids size is nearly identical to toon link. plus the wind waker could be textured as a blowpipe that skull kid could use to shoot you.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Diddy's already hunched over as Skull Kid has been in his MM and TP appearances. Diddy's tight traction physically translates to the imagined grounded portions of Skull Kid's movement. Of course, his aerial game should revolve around levitation via Majora's Mask. Attacks, without aerial/ground division, should originate from both Skull Kid and Majora's Mask. Majora's Mask would use its whips and dark magic, while Skull Kid would use his various toys, flute, puppets, etc.

This could so work, so well. Diddy base, gotta start there. He's got plenty of articles that could be transformed into Skull Kid trinkets. I mean, Bananas → Deku Nuts is an easy and obvious start.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Diddy's already hunched over as Skull Kid has been in his MM and TP appearances. Diddy's tight traction physically translates to the imagined grounded portions of Skull Kid's movement. Of course, his aerial game should revolve around levitation via Majora's Mask. Attacks, without aerial/ground division, should originate from both Skull Kid and Majora's Mask. Majora's Mask would use its whips and dark magic, while Skull Kid would use his various toys, flute, puppets, etc.

This could so work, so well. Diddy base, gotta start there. He's got plenty of articles that could be transformed into Skull Kid trinkets. I mean, Bananas → Deku Nuts is an easy and obvious start.
You.

I like you.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion

MLGF

Smash Lord
Diddy only has two articles correct?
I dunno, I think Skull Kid could use a few more projectiles, as I envision him to be an Projectile character with focus on his aerial movement.
Maybe Diddy is an entirely different direction for Skull Kid then I had imagined. What do people envision Skull Kid's move set to be anyways?

andalsoandy

Smash Lord

Deku nuts don't need to be an article, as he could just spawn the item itself.

cmvnb3

Smash Apprentice
Maybe we should focus more on the ends rather than the means and then decide which means will best reach that ends, that is, let's first decide what we want Skull kid to do and how his playing style should be without regarding any clone bases.

Bleck

Smash Master
they aren't making money off it, sega can't do ****.
That's not how it works; it's not whether or not the PMBR would be making money off of it, but rather whether or not the inclusion of copyrighted characters would affect the owner of those characters in any capacity. All Sega would have to say was, for example, that Knuckles' inclusion in Project M puts him in a "free" fighting game modification that infringes on their desire to maybe make something similar at some point should they choose, and that would be reasonable enough to justify a C&D if they wanted to.

This is why other free game mods or fan sequels/prequels often get shut down, and also, why the PMBR won't use characters confirmed to be playable in Smash 4 - because if Nintendo felt that Project M was interfering with their ability to sell copies of Smash 4, they would be within their rights to shut it down.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
My friend and I have been talking about Skull Kid a bunch, and she's of the opinion that Lucas would make a good base for him. He's got two or three projectiles to work with, a tether grab, decent proportions and size, and a good Final Smash to clone if they were to go with dropping the moon. Plus a lot of his normals would work decently ported over to Skull Kid, with dark purple energy instead of Lucas's PSI. Thoughts, anyone?

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I just don't think Skull Kid should be using Link's items (e.g. Deku nuts) in his moves, nor moves from other characters from the Majora's Mask universe.

Last edited:

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
Whoa who whoa. The only reason they would ever clone anyone would be to be more efficient when it comes to animating. Cloning ROB? Wat. That would be MORE work. Rob is a robot. You would be able to use literally 0 animations from him. Even if his hands were replaced with fairies, the skull kid himself would still need to be animated in his like 500 animations... I can't imagine them going out of their way to deliberately make something a clone.

S

Sharic X

Whoa who whoa. The only reason they would ever clone anyone would be to be more efficient when it comes to animating. Cloning ROB? Wat. That would be MORE work. Rob is a robot. You would be able to use literally 0 animations from him. Even if his hands were replaced with fairies, the skull kid himself would still need to be animated in his like 500 animations... I can't imagine them going out of their way to deliberately make something a clone.
Wait, who's idea was it to use Rob as a clone to Skull Kid? While I appreciate the effort, this is not something that will work. Like you said, barely any animations for ROB while Skull Kid will need quite a few. I think our best bet would be to use Diddy as a Skull Kid clone.

At least for now. Until we figure out something better.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
No offense to other mods, but no other mod gets as much mainstream attention as Project M. It's more of a concern for us than it is for any other mod.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Wait, who's idea was it to use Rob as a clone to Skull Kid? While I appreciate the effort, this is not something that will work. Like you said, barely any animations for ROB while Skull Kid will need quite a few. I think our best bet would be to use Diddy as a Skull Kid clone.

At least for now. Until we figure out something better.
Why Diddy?

Ginge

Smash Ace
Why Diddy?
I was thinking they could use Diddy as Skull Kid's base, to help get that erratic feel he has going on(cartwheel dash attack and all).

It was all just discussed on this page.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Eh, I think Lucas is a better fit, but I suppose Diddy could work. Does his jetpack count as an article when it's flying loose? Then he'd have three, just like Lucas--though one of Diddy's spawns a pre-made item, which will probably only work if we want Skull Kid to do the same, and I don't think he should have Deku nuts, so I'm not sure if that would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom