• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm in agreement about the whole MM vs TP thing.

While the TP Skull Kid adds some theoretical moveset potential, It just involves things like blow darts and things that are more complicated and difficult to create for the PM team, rather than just a Mask based magic/physical set.

The Skull Kid people love is the one from Majora's Mask, and I don't expect the PMBR to misunderstand that.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I'm in agreement about the whole MM vs TP thing.

While the TP Skull Kid adds some theoretical moveset potential, It just involves things like blow darts and things that are more complicated and difficult to create for the PM team, rather than just a Mask based magic/physical set.

The Skull Kid people love is the one from Majora's Mask, and I don't expect the PMBR to misunderstand that.
Just because it's a different Skull Kid that isn't as popular or well-loved doesn't mean we should absolutely exclude anything it can offer, though. Case in point: Link. Plenty of his attacks come from Zelda II, of all places. While I agree we should try to keep it consistent in how the character feels, there are some abilities that TP Skull Kid has that could work well with MM Skull Kid. His teleport, for one, is one that would fit very well, but I also think the puppets wouldn't be out of place, considering Skull Kid himself is essentially Majora's puppet.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
Now if P:M decides to base Knuckles look after Sonic Boom, then I'll have to withdraw everything positive that I've said about Knuckles.
I don't know a lot about majora's mask, but what about a move where he takes out his flute (I think it's a flute) and if the music can either hurt, stun, or put you to sleep?

Shin F.

Smash Master
Now if P:M decides to base Knuckles look after Sonic Boom, then I'll have to withdraw everything positive that I've said about Knuckles.
I don't know a lot about majora's mask, but what about a move where he takes out his flute (I think it's a flute) and if the music can either hurt, stun, or put you to sleep?
I was thinking he could do that scream of his and have it chargeable so it goes further and gets louder when it's charged, and it stuns enemies like a Re-Dead scream does.

Last edited:

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
That's not his flute: it's Link's.

I was thinking he could do that scream of his and have it chargeable so it goes further and gets louder when it's charged, and it stuns enemies like a Re-Dead scream does.
That scream could certainly be convincingly incorporated as a special.

Last edited:

Zeallyx

like I said, don't know enough about majora's mask, but I remember him playing some instrument in OoT.
I like the scream idea as a stun. :3 He could also use a deku seed as a stun weapon too.
You're right, I somehow assumed you meant the blue Ocarina in Majora's mask that he stole from Link. Sorry.

I admit, it's been a while since I've played MM/OoT, but I don't recall him ever using deku seeds.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Just because it's a different Skull Kid that isn't as popular or well-loved doesn't mean we should absolutely exclude anything it can offer, though. Case in point: Link. Plenty of his attacks come from Zelda II, of all places. While I agree we should try to keep it consistent in how the character feels, there are some abilities that TP Skull Kid has that could work well with MM Skull Kid. His teleport, for one, is one that would fit very well, but I also think the puppets wouldn't be out of place, considering Skull Kid himself is essentially Majora's puppet.
You're right. I'm just saying that it might be more feasible for them to focus resources. Granted, since the Skull Kid was known to steal things, they could give him some attacks based on other things in MM. If they really wanted to give him a blow dart, (assuming they clone him from Lucas or something and they need an easy side-b, just give him the one the Bombers have. It could keep the character consistent while still indirectly referencing one from a later game.

I just feel like everything he has needs to share the same theme. If he's based on MM Skull Kid, which he inevitably would be, all of his attacks need to use flavor from that game, rather than bringing in art assets from TP. If they can make puppets look like they belong in Majora's Mask, I'm totally down. Am I making sense?

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
You're right. I'm just saying that it might be more feasible for them to focus resources. Granted, since the Skull Kid was known to steal things, they could give him some attacks based on other things in MM. If they really wanted to give him a blow dart, (assuming they clone him from Lucas or something and they need an easy side-b, just give him the one the Bombers have. It could keep the character consistent while still indirectly referencing one from a later game.

I just feel like everything he has needs to share the same theme. If he's based on MM Skull Kid, which he inevitably would be, all of his attacks need to use flavor from that game, rather than bringing in art assets from TP. If they can make puppets look like they belong in Majora's Mask, I'm totally down. Am I making sense?
Yeah, but I don't mind references to other games. :o

Shin F.

Smash Master

Oh, yeah, completely. I agree that whatever they use should feel like it belongs.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah, but I don't mind references to other games. :o
Oh yeah, I mean that's perfectly fine, as long as it feels like its the same theme.

Like how TP Link uses the downward strike, but it's just a sword strike, so it could fit with any Link. It'd be like TP Link using the Skyward Sword bombs, where it just feels off.

Stuff just has to mesh. I'm down for some MM puppets. Although that also aounds like a nightmare, so I expect them to keep him simpler.

Zeallyx

he doesn't use deku seeds,I just like deku seeds..
Well, I wouldn't really like him using Link's items.

I agree with Banjodorf that it'd be awesome if they base Skull Kid solely on Majora's Mask, as that would do his character (and model) from Majora's Mask justice and, as I've mentioned before, his moveset already has quite some potential based on Majora's Mask alone. However I do think that moves based on what he did in the game (like that scream) and original moves based on what he did in the game (like using majora's magic in some way for an aerial for example) would fit him much better than giving him moves from other characters in the same universe (i.e. the Bombers, Link etc.).

Last edited:

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
Well, I wouldn't really like him using Link's items.

I agree with Banjodorf that it'd be awesome if they base Skull Kid solely on Majora's Mask, as that would do his character (and model) from Majora's Mask justice and, as I've mentioned before, his moveset already has quite some potential based on Majora's Mask alone. However I do think that moves based on what he did in the game (like that scream) and original moves based on what he did in the game (like using majora's magic for an aerial for example) would fit him much better than giving him moves from other characters in the same universe (i.e. the Bombers, Link etc.).
Oh, I agree. I just thought Deku seeds would fit his foresty theme.

Zeallyx

Foresty describes OoT and TP Skull Kid pretty well, but MM Skull Kid is more about darkness, madness and magic, I think. I don't feel like Deku Nuts would fit him very well.
I agree. As I would word it/have worded it: Majora's Mask Skull Kid is all about Majora's Mask; sinister, mysterious, able to float and use magic.
As
Skull Kid was revealed to be controlled by Majora's Mask all along, so Skull Kid's PM moveset should reflect this to do the character and model of the character justice and because that would be incredibly awesome imo.

The fact we are seriously debating about Skull Kid is already make me really hyped. If Skull Kid really gets added to PM I'll be very happy and I trust that the PMBR members'll make him awesome anyway.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Potential MM spoilers

That's another good point. The Skull Kid isn't really a Skull Kid during MM, he's just a vessel for Majora.

So really his moveset should be all about the darkness, shadowy magics, him being crazy and potentially Tael.

Last edited:

Zeallyx

Potential MM spoilers

That's another good point. The Skull Kid isn't really a Skull Kid during MM, he's just a vessel for Majora.

So really his moveset should be all about the darkness, shadowy magics, him being crazy and potentially Tael.

I agree completely.

Also yes, Teal could certainly be a nice addition. I can imagine Teal being included in one of his taunts.

Last edited:

GenericName

Smash Apprentice
i don't really know about skull kid being a clone. what attacks would he use? besides, shadow would be a better choice
Shadow is not a better choice over Skull Kid.

But not all of every characters moveset should have to be based on the game they're from. Not like ROB ever shot lazers or flew before. Personally, Skull Kid/MM seems like the type to just make things up as they go along, and I feel like it's moveset should reflect that.

I.e. , his back air could be a sex kick type deal where he reclines on his side (Sort of like 3D? That lying on his side pose thing he does). It's something the character would probably do, and fits it's taunty nature.

(I will draw a picture of this at somepoint to better explain myself)

ElGoombaswag

Hououin Kyoma
NNID
cdoggfuentes
Shadow is not a better choice over Skull Kid.

But not all of every characters moveset should have to be based on the game they're from. Not like ROB ever shot lazers or flew before. Personally, Skull Kid/MM seems like the type to just make things up as they go along, and I feel like it's moveset should reflect that.

I.e. , his back air could be a sex kick type deal where he reclines on his side (Sort of like 3D? That lying on his side pose thing he does). It's something the character would probably do, and fits it's taunty nature.

(I will draw a picture of this at somepoint to better explain myself)
i would actually want to see the picture. the more i think about it, sonic uses the spikes on his head as a attack. maybe skull kid will take off the mask and use its points to attack. and maybe shadow would use his shoes as a attack.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Seriously though. People suggesting Shadow instead of Skull Kid.

1. Er...wait a second...
2. Knuckles has caused enough ruckus and people may have finally warmed up to the potential idea if this all turns out to be true. You think another Sonic character with an even bigger hatebase--fanbase ratio is going to make the general populace happy?
3. What?

GenericName

Smash Apprentice
image.jpg

Sort of like that, with him sort of snapping into position for it as the animation. Kind of like Squirtle's bair

Shin F.

Smash Master
That might seem good to you on paper but from an animation and usefulness standpoint that makes no sense.
Well, it might work as a down-throw, kind of like what Ness/Charizard does but with his shoes. Having said that, Shadow is a bad choice, considering how unpopular he is. He is literally at the bottom of the list - below Tails and Knuckles, below Pichu, below Waluigi, below Black Shadow/Ganondorf... In short, he's in his own league with how many people voted him down. (58 downvotes, more than DOUBLE the next lowest character, who had 27)

I would laugh so hard if his Assist Trophy was changed so that he took off his shoe and hummed it at the nearest player.

Last edited:

GenericName

Smash Apprentice
Hey Shin. Instead of another human rep from Mother, how would you feel about Boney?

I feel like there's lots of potential for a unique moveset with a character that doesnt walk upright.

His jab could be a quick bite, with an effect simular to how Ganon's works.

FTilt could be a headbutt short rush type deal.

Dtilt could have him reaching out and scratching towards the ground

Idk for UTilt...

Fsmash could be a leap forward, simular to TL's but using his face and shoulders as the hitbox areas sort of like Squirtle's fsmash

Dsmash could be him "chasing his tail" making two quick snaps on both sides.

Sideb could be a Pencil Rocket
(Idk for the rest of his moveset. Pencil Rocket would be very fun though xD)

Shin F.

Smash Master
Hey Shin. Instead of another human rep from Mother, how would you feel about Boney?

I feel like there's lots of potential for a unique moveset with a character that doesnt walk upright.

Idk for UTilt...

Fsmash could be a leap forward, simular to TL's but using his face and shoulders as the hitbox areas sort of like Squirtle's fsmash

That's not a bad idea, but I would much rather complete the trio of main characters from each of the games. Although, having a new Mother rep that used a Bottle Rocket could be pretty cool (I have no trouble seeing this as a possible move for Ninten). We actually discussed the idea of Jeff being a Snake clone much earlier in the thread, which was pretty cool.

As for characters that don't walk upright, pretty sure Pikachu, Squirtle, and Ivysaur count. Also the P-Bomb, if he was added.

Last edited:

andalsoandy

Smash Lord

Idk for UTilt...

This is a fantastic idea. There are obviously better reps out there for Mother, but this character could bring a lot of interesting stuff to the table.

He and Starman are great "underdog" reps for another Mother character in Project M.

Except Boney is a literal dog.

GenericName

Smash Apprentice
Ninten just doesn't seem like he would bring as much uniqueness to the table. I feel like he would just end up as a midway between Ness and Lucas :/

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
Potential MM spoilers

It's been long enough that MM spoilers aren't things you need to worry about any more. With that said, Skull Kid in MM isn't so much possessed and controlled by Majora's Mask as deceived and manipulated. That's why everything he does other than the moon drop is more him being a jerk than being evil.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Ninten just doesn't seem like he would bring as much uniqueness to the table. I feel like he would just end up as a midway between Ness and Lucas :/
Shin has a pretty kick ass moveset for him in his signature.

Even if it doesn't cover everything, there's a lot of attacks in the games that haven't been used in Smash.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
There are plenty of unique ideas he could use that none of the others do. He can use weapons that Ness and Lucas don't, like slingshots, boomerangs, and bottle rockets, could potentially use his bat as more than just an f-smash (I really want to see him have an aerial spike attack using it), can use Quick Up as a counterpoint to Lucas' Offense Up, could use 4th-D Slip or PK Teleport instead of PK Thunder for his recovery, could use Hypnosis or Paralysis, PSI Brainshock or Brain Cyclone, or he could use PK Beam since that move is exclusive to Mother 1.

In short, there are plenty of things that can really set him apart. If your concern is that he would be a clone just because he looks alike and it would be easier to just make him a copy, just remember - this isn't Sakurai. PMBR actually care about their characters and probably wouldn't just make 1:1 clones for the sake of bulking their roster. Ninten in their hands is likely to come out much more unique than Ganondorf did in Sakurai's.

Last edited:

GenericName

Smash Apprentice
Eh. It just seems to be that Boney would be the more fun character to play. His moveset would be very quirky and it would be tons more fun to figure out how to play as him.

ElGoombaswag

Hououin Kyoma
NNID
cdoggfuentes
Well, it might work as a down-throw, kind of like what Ness/Charizard does but with his shoes. Having said that, Shadow is a bad choice, considering how unpopular he is. He is literally at the bottom of the list - below Tails and Knuckles, below Pichu, below Waluigi, below Black Shadow/Ganondorf... In short, he's in his own league with how many people voted him down. (58 downvotes, more than DOUBLE the next lowest character, who had 27)

I would laugh so hard if his Assist Trophy was changed so that he took off his shoe and hummed it at the nearest player.
exactly like a down throw!!!!! like the kick from SilentDoom's shadow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom