• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
I didn't like brawl, just like I didn't like Pichu. The fact he was a star in shorts and was a replaceable favorite means nothing. The character was received negatively and the proof is in front of all of you. Yes the character is popular. But in the context of Smash? Pichu is not.
Pichu was implimented as a joke, however it would generate a lot of Hype to have Pichu be decent, also mine and OrangeSodaGuy's arguments were valid but you refuse to refute the claims that we gave,
also if anything Pichu is far more popular and likable than Roy

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Guyz

Guysguysguys I found the perfect justification Pichu would be added as one of the 5 clone engine slots.

Whether if he's good or bad, most people would be upset at his inclusion if we're thinking realistically, right?

So, if all 5 slots end up actually being used with 4 awesome Project M created characters--and Pichu is the fifth slot--he'd be the absolute best character to replace with community created ones! Pichu fans could keep him in their build, while the rest of us put in other characters from Brawl Vault without having to agonize over which other slot to replace because EVERYONE is cooler than Pichu.

I'm serious, everyone, this is why Pichu's inclusion might actually be awesome. But if he doesn't make it in I wouldn't have a problem with it.

EDIT: Removed a big mistake Qx7 pointed out, my bad.

EDIT 2: also just to be clear I'm not giving him a full vote since I already gave him a half vote, Anti Guy.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Pichu was implimented as a joke, however it would generate a lot of Hype to have Pichu be decent, also mine and OrangeSodaGuy's arguments were valid but you refuse to refute the claims that we gave,
also if anything Pichu is far more popular and likable than Roy
Oh~ Well in that case I can argue Shadow is a far more popular character than Pichu with more than enough evidence.

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
Oh~ Well in that case I can argue Shadow is a far more popular character than Pichu with more than enough evidence.
too bad you can't argue why he would be a better character in smash because he is just a generic emo anti-hero.
Pichu on the other hand has a decent ability that the PMBR can turn him into the ultimate character through disadvantage

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
And PMBR said they'd release the clone engine to the public one day, right?
No, what they ACTUALLY said is that the Clone Engine was made for Project M and they can`t just copy/paste it onto brawl and make it work. They said that it might not be possible to port it to Brawl.

too bad you can't argue why he would be a better character in smash because he is just a generic emo anti-hero.
dear god, reading these ill-informed post is painful. Shadow isn`t/hasn`t/and will never be emo. Just because a bunch of fanfic writers say Shadow is emo doesn`t mean that Shadow is actually emo. Shadow has no canonical signs of being emo so I really find it stupid that people go "He`s frowning so he must be emo harharhar".

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
No, what they ACTUALLY said is that the Clone Engine was made for Project M and they can`t just copy/paste it onto brawl and make it work. They said that it might not be possible to port it to Brawl.
Thank god, I would hate to see unprofessional worked characters in project M like Shadow or Cloud

Shadicles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JKSmashFan
3DS FC
3780-9779-8728
#WreckingTheDiscussPichuInOtherThreadRule

Also if I may interject, it's pretty BS and boastful to make the claim that Pichu is more of a hype-machine likeable character than Roy :X

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
#WreckingTheDiscussPichuInOtherThreadRule

Also if I may interject, it's pretty BS and boastful to make the claim that Pichu is more of a hype-machine likeable character than Roy :X
actually the other thread to discuss Pichu was locked, also i'm not stating that he is, im just stating that a super charged (pun intended) Pichu would be very hype worthy

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
Pichu arguments are the most boring things to read on this forum, even arguments about sonic characters are more bearable.

Also yay for gifs working now, they ought to let us put in bigger image files though.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
God damn.

TopTierPichu makes supporting Pichu hard.

I could argue all day about legitimate reasons why he should come back and at least get people to be neutral on the idea but I bet that TTP makes them all Negative on the idea because of the way he says everything.

It's like if I was telling you that you should get solar panels on your house and telling you all the good things it can do for you then TTP just comes in and is just like
" ****ING WHO NEEDS NORMAL ELECTRICITY WHEN YOU GOT SOLAR POWER UP THE ASS. STILL USING NORMAL ELECTRICITY. ****ING CASUAL, GIT GUD SCRUB AND BUY A REAL WAY TO GET ELECTRICITY.
Telling people that everything they like is wrong and only the thing that you like is the ONLY answer is going to get you negative backlash from people that are neutral, anti, and even a few supporters.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Pichu arguments are the most boring things to read on this forum, even arguments about sonic characters are more bearable.
Hah.

Also yay for gifs working now, they ought to let us put in bigger image files though.
I still haven't been able to get mine to work AT ALL.

Any tips?

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Well I'm satisfied with MY reason I support Pichu getting in. The community scene would boom with Project M ready PSAs over Pichu at least. So that Waluigi PSA someone is optimizing for Project M doesn't have to go over Pit anymore since he's actually cool.

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
I still haven't been able to get mine to work AT ALL.

Any tips?
If you're looking at this page http://gyazo.com/9ea0e173c790810d6ec1de65305d6282.png and the image isn't moving don't worry it just isn't moving on that page.

If it's file size just try making the image smaller, if you don't have an image editor that does gifs I'm pretty sure the freeware program gimp can do them. I also took out duplicate frames and extended the duration that the remaining frames appeared.

other than that I don't think I can help you.

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
I defend Pichu from illogical arguments and suddenly im the bad guy, ok whatever you want to believe.

Any ways we havnt talked about masked man in a while so I had an idea, how about we clone him, from Diddy Kong, because he already has a jet pack that MM can use, and we can alter his pop gun into his blaster

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I defend Pichu from illogical arguments and suddenly im the bad guy, ok whatever you want to believe.

Any ways we havnt talked about masked man in a while so I had an idea, how about we clone him, from Diddy Kong, because he already has a jet pack that MM can use, and we can alter his pop gun into his blaster
But Lucas has a Masked Man skin

Nautilus

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3308-5000-4410
Haven’t really read much of the thread, but I figured I’d put in votes based on what info the OP gives

Plusvotes:

+Bowser Jr.
This just sounds like the funnest thing in existence, to be honest. I love Bowser and think another spin on him would be great.

+Isaac
One of my favorite games growing up, so it’s a no-brainer vote for me. He'd be fun to play, as well.

+Lyn
Also sounds pretty fun. Not a fire emblem fan (I find them to be horrible examples of their genre), but a fan of their smash incarnations. Playing a swordy woman is pretty much one of the things I want most.

+Dark Samus
Sounds like she’d have a really fun and somewhat easy to brainstorm moveset, and look really cool to boot. Metroid needs more reps.

+Ridley
Again with the Metroid reps thing. Have you seen that Ridley in the Melee opener? I want that. (but only if it can be done to a near perfection, somehow.)

Halfvotes:

.5 Pichu
Wow, how unpopular. I like the guy a lot personally, but not enough for him to be a top priority.

.5 Dixie Kong
Again, not a top priority, I don’t even really play Diddy. I like the idea of Dixie as a character though (and of more femme fatales).

Downvotes:

-Black Shadow (F-Zero) and Ganondorf(Legend of Zelda)
Completely against this. Plastering Ganondorf’s current moveset over another character model while giving Ganon a new moveset just feels wrong. I’d probably stop playing Project M entirely if that happened; it’s definitely not something I feel like is in the spirit of this game. Part of the reason I like Ganondorf at all is because of his Melee self, he’s a relatively rare sight in games honestly. Perhaps I’m alone here, but I feel I could never get used to it, as a Ganondorf main.

-Shadow
If there’s a way to seem unprofessional, it’s this. I don’t think he’d be interesting enough or is iconic enough to get in. The only other viable sonic character I’d want less is probably Silver.

-Tails
I feel like if there’s a guy iconic enough to deserve this, it’s Tails, but I really don’t think we need to increase 3rd party representation.

-Knuckles
Would be the most interesting to play, and most fitting in a fighting game. Iconic too. But, I honestly wouldn’t like more sega characters in general.

Neutral to all else.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
If it's file size just try making the image smaller, if you don't have an image editor that does gifs I'm pretty sure the freeware program gimp can do them. I also took out duplicate frames and extended the duration that the remaining frames appeared.
Maximum size 97.7KB

Kept reading it as 977KB.

I've found my issue. thank ye.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Now I`m not going to argue for Pichu`s inclusion as even though I would like him in, I accept that he most likely won`t be in, but you can say that for every pokemon. Squirtle is a starter that you don`t have to pick, Ivysaur is the evolution that isn`t required to a starter that you don`t have to pick, Charizard is the evolution that isn`t required to a evolution that isn`t required to a starter that you don`t have to pick, Pikachu, Jigglez, and Lucario are a pokemon you don`t have to catch, and Mewtwo is a pokemon that you might not even know exist if you thought that the Elite Four was the end of the game and never watched the movies.
QQQQQQQ7777777 said:
QQQQQQQ7777777 said:
What the hell is this ****. Why must you make things so hard to read.

Anyways... your arguments for the Pokemon were terribly weak.

Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard were not supposed to be original characters, but rather part of Pokemon Trainer, who WAS an important character (the protagonist), so that argument is moot.

Do you really need to argue for Pikachu being not important? It doesn't matter if he or anyone else you didn't have to be caught, that's COMPLETELY irrelevant when you compare it to his value as a mascot... which seriously doesn't need to be explained.

Jigglypuff was a pretty popular Pokemon, but I'm not really sure why she made it in. Probably because she was similar to Kirby and easy to do. Either way she stuck around. On the show, she was also one of those characters that had a significant personality and role for a significant span of time (the only other ones being Pikachu, Meowth, and Togepi)

Lucario is the mascot character of Gen 4. He was the first to be announced and he's always been the poster boy of the generation. That's why he was in Brawl. If there was going to be a fifth gen rep, it would be Zoroark, hands down.

And everyone knows Mewtwo; he's the most well-known legendary pokemon.

So regarding PIchu, I suppose he was the mascot character of 2nd gen; I'm not sure who else would be other than possibly Togepi. He was mainly included because he was an obvious candidate for a clone and because the 2nd gen had more relevance at that time. And honestly, I don't have very high hopes for Lucario returning for SSB4 either now that the 4th gen is two generations in the past. I'd say Zoroark would make it given that I don't think there's been a clear mascot for Pokemon X/Y.

T-Cash

Smash Apprentice
Pichu is an unwanted character and I`ll accept that but please explain to me how Roy was demanded? Nobody knew the Clone Engine existed until Roy (and two weeks later, Mewtwo) was revealed so how could a character be demanded when we didn`t even know that adding him in was possible and the PMBR kept telling us no? Also, they have said time and time again that they don`t intend on using all 5 slots so I hardly see how he is stealing a slot when that slot might not have been used at all otherwise.

I`m not going to fight for Pichu`s inclusion because then I`ll be written off as the stereotype this vocal minority has made for itself but I will continue to debate the stupid reasons people don`t want him (stupid being the key word as there are legitimate

this wasnt directed to you at all!! I saw someone else hyping pichu up on the last page so I felt it would fit, plus this is the character discussion. I have nothing against anyones opinion its just mine

T-Cash

Smash Apprentice
this wasnt my intentions but im honestly glad to see all this negativity towards putting him in. If you wanna play pichu play melee

+vote for lyn she would be awesome!! a female sword character, and it looks like her weight would be amazing

+vote for tom nook also he would be such a creative character not sure how they would make that fit into the game but it would be a good twist to see

my main vote still goes to waluigi though and seeing what they can do with his moveset and being a rival to Wario would be an amazing asset to pm

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Since Young Link won't be coming back, i would love if they put him in Hyrule Castle background grabbing Keapora Geabora's leg while the bird is flying (obviously) beacause he was in Melee and at least deserves a cool easter egg.

Xaranid

Smash Apprentice
Thank god, I would hate to see unprofessional worked characters in project M like Shadow or Cloud
So over 170 pages of discussion later, it should be pretty obvious that TTP is a troll. Can we just make a pact to ignore him or something? *eagerly awaits an angry Pichu related tyrade against me*

But yeah, go Masked Man!

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
agreed it would be nice to know who is actually a member.

anyways, how would Pokemon trainer even be implemented if he got in?

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
So if i talk about Pichu i'm not gonna get ignured?

HALF-VOTE for Pichu (While not my favorite character or request i would like to see what the PM guys can do to that little mouse)

KingOfNothing

Smash Apprentice
http://smashboards.com/threads/ganondorf-sword-mode-for-projectm.342640/

There is also YouTube videos in this link showing the moveset.

I posted this before in my "vote" post.
It's a mod for PM allowing to draw his sword using Down taunt.

It's made by someone in the PMBR and it's extremely well done! And pretty balanced making Sword Ganon slower but with more range and a bit less power on some moves, but fundamentally keeping the play style between Falcondorf and "True Ganon" the same just adding a sword and magic based moves. I'm on my cell so I can't post the video directly here, sorry. So guys press that link an watch the latest video maybe even try out the mod it's really good.

I think doing this is a better alternative to adding Black Shadow and making a totally unique Ganon but either way I think Ganon deserves a more unique and personal moveset.
Yeah, that mod isn't bad. I'd still like to be able to play Ganondorf with a true moveset competitively though. I am a Ganondorf main in P:M and I think it would be great for Black Shadow to get his moveset. I understand how some Ganondorf mains wouldnt like that though. However, I cant really consider him to truly be Ganondorf with a moveset that is so uninspired for a character that is so important to the Zelda series and could easily have an unique moveset.

On the Pichu discussion, I keep seeing a lot of support for Pichu mainly because he'd be cool to see actually good. Is that really a good enough reason to place him in PM over other characters? I think we have too much Pokemon characters as it is. Im sure Pichu could be made interesting by the PMBR, but I really do not want to see another Pokemon character I have no desire to play. There are many other characters that could be added to the game that would be wayy more interesting to me. That's just my opinion though.

B1ackJack

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zakabajak94
3DS FC
4596-9584-8500
In addition to my votes, I'd just like to express my opinion that I think everyone is way too concerned about the characters themselves and the series' that they hail from rather than the unique gameplay opportunities that they could bring to Smash Bros. That said, I do think it is slightly important to not oversaturate with characters from the same series, especially since not everyone that plays Project M sees it as just a competitive fighting game, but just as significantly as a thematically important mascot fighter. Some of the characters that I think could be very interesting additions to the game I'm seeing being shot down by many simply because "there's already too many characters from that series" or "that character isn't that popular." I just don't really see those as valid arguments and I just think people should try to look past that, also since Smash has in the past proven to make games and characters more popular.

I also think that the PMBR has shown that they are willing to commit the time to make quality additions to the game, considering the 10000+ hours spent on Mewtwo, a character that could hardly be called a clone. With that in mind, I wouldn't like simple clone characters put in just because they would be easier to implement. I would much rather they leave the clone slots left unfilled than that. If they're going to put in new characters, they should offer something seriously new to the game, and not just another addition to the game for the sake of it.

All that preaching aside, here are my votes:

+1 - Isaac: There are plenty of unique options for movesets with his psynergy and and swordplay, not to mention I love the Golden Sun games.

+1 - Bowser Jr.: The one prospect for a clone-like character I would be okay with. Since Bowser's whole thing is that he's super heavy and powerful, seeing a similar moveset applied to a smaller and faster character would be really cool.

+1 - Hector: No axe wielders in Smash yet, and I'd like to see what a new weapon type would bring to the table.

+1 - Krystal: Unpopular and unlikely, but I love the way Krystal plays in Crusade and I'd really enjoy seeing that in a fully fledged console Smash (no offense to Crusade).

+1 - Tom Nook: Just by looking at all the crazy new things the Villager looks to bring to Smash 4, I think a really great moveset inspired by Animal Crossing could be put into Tom as well.

1/2 - Dixie Kong: I can see how the ponytail could be interesting, but besides that I'm not too sold on it.

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
agreed it would be nice to know who is actually a member.

anyways, how would Pokemon trainer even be implemented if he got in?
I was thinking it might be a better idea to have him chilling in the background the same way he does in SSBB whenever you play as Squirtle, Ivysaur, or Charizard. The only difference is that you wouldn't be able to switch.

Yeah, that mod isn't bad. I'd still like to be able to play Ganondorf with a true moveset competitively though. I am a Ganondorf main in P:M and I think it would be great for Black Shadow to get his moveset. I understand how some Ganondorf mains wouldnt like that though. However, I cant really consider him to truly be Ganondorf with a moveset that is so uninspired for a character that is so important to the Zelda series and could easily have an unique moveset.
The only thing I'm concerned with is the possibility that this may seriously alienate old-school SSBM Ganon mains. Considering that competitive players (especially competitive Melee players) are arguably P:M's target audience, this may not be the best move.

I think the win-win solution to the issue is to give Ganon new moves to replace the attacks that were never really used in competitive play that would draw more inspiration from the actual Zelda series. I was thinking they could give Ganon a new neutral B, a new Nair, and a Utilt that uses his sword just for starters. That's just my two cents though-- and for the dedicated Ganon players, stop me please if I got anything wrong about Ganon's seldom-used moves in competitive play!

On the Pichu discussion, I keep seeing a lot of support for Pichu mainly because he'd be cool to see actually good. Is that really a good enough reason to place him in PM over other characters? I think we have too much Pokemon characters as it is. Im sure Pichu could be made interesting by the PMBR, but I really do not want to see another Pokemon character I have no desire to play. There are many other characters that could be added to the game that would be wayy more interesting to me. That's just my opinion though.
Copypasta from a previous post of mine in this thread:
I don't support Pichu because of the possibility that he could be made good.
The PMBR can make anyone good.

The reason I support Pichu is because I think it would be fun to see just one underdog amongst the ranks of top-tier beasts-- in that sense, Pichu is by far the most realistic and doable choice to fill that niche. There are plenty of ways to revamp it's playstyle and still keep it's "underdog" persona intact.

While there are many other characters who are arguably cooler, I think Pichu does a lot more to fill a niche that P:M doesn't really have yet. Part of what makes fighting games so great isn't just being able to master awesome characters-- it's being able to utterly humiliate your friends by beating them with the garbage-tier fighter.

On top of that, I feel kinda bad for the Pichu players who are the only ones who won't be able to use their main in P:M. Especially considering that P:M is essentially Melee 2.0. If my main weren't included in a game like this, I'd be clamoring for them too no matter how disliked or low tier they were.

/joke characters need love too

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
+1 - Hector: No axe wielders in Smash yet, and I'd like to see what a new weapon type would bring to the table.
I like your opinions, and therefore, I like you

Since you seem interested in Hector, here's a moveset I made for him a while back.
Lemme know what you think.
Just click the arrow above, spoilers no work.
Much Self
Very Advertise
No Shame
Wow

Last edited:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Copypasta from a previous post of mine in this thread:
I don't support Pichu because of the possibility that he could be made good.
The PMBR can make anyone good.

The reason I support Pichu is because I think it would be fun to see just one underdog amongst the ranks of top-tier beasts-- in that sense, Pichu is by far the most realistic and doable choice to fill that niche. There are plenty of ways to revamp it's playstyle and still keep it's "underdog" persona intact.

While there are many other characters who are arguably cooler, I think Pichu does a lot more to fill a niche that P:M doesn't really have yet. Part of what makes fighting games so great isn't just being able to master awesome characters-- it's being able to utterly humiliate your friends by beating them with the garbage-tier fighter.

On top of that, I feel kinda bad for the Pichu players who are the only ones who won't be able to use their main in P:M. Especially considering that P:M is essentially Melee 2.0. If my main weren't included in a game like this, I'd be clamoring for them too no matter how disliked or low tier they were.

/joke characters need love too
And like I've said before, joke characters are nice and all, but not when you have to spend at least 300 hours making them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom