• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I've never played WarioWare extensively so I don't know a whole lot about Ashley, though I DID give her a half vote because she looked interesting. Any WarioWare fans care to make a moveset?

Because Wario's games need more representation, and sadly Wario Land is disqualified so no Captain Syrup :(

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
It wouldn't necessarily take two slots. As I've said before, Eternal Yoshi has said that Nana is an article of sorts for Popo, and Dantarion has created 'double' characters before, so it's possible that by cloning Ice Climbers, you can have Plusle & Minun in one slot.
Really? I thought Nana was her own character slot rather than an article or whatever.

Well that's cool.

I've never played WarioWare extensively so I don't know a whole lot about Ashley, though I DID give her a half vote because she looked interesting. Any WarioWare fans care to make a moveset?

Because Wario's games need more representation, and sadly Wario Land is disqualified so no Captain Syrup :(
I forgot about WarioWare for a while. I think I'll make a Jimmy T. moveset when I get around to it. Personally I'd rather have him than Ashley (she isn't even very significant in WarioWare.)

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Really? I thought Nana was her own character slot rather than an article or whatever.

Well that's cool.
So did I - but when you think about it, Nana's model, textures and bones at least are definitely stored in the same .pac and .pcs files as Popo's. Looking in the Data Partition on Brawl Vault's resources page in the fighter directory, she doesn't seem to have a folder of her own, nor does she have one to modify her in the P:M folders. It's odd because until I saw that comment by Eternal Yoshi, I thought she had one.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
So did I - but when you think about it, Nana's model, textures and bones at least are definitely stored in the same .pac and .pcs files as Popo's. Looking in the Data Partition on Brawl Vault's resources page in the fighter directory, she doesn't seem to have a folder of her own, nor does she have one to modify her in the P:M folders. It's odd because until I saw that comment by Eternal Yoshi, I thought she had one.
So she shares a model with Popo and only swaps textures? Or is it like G&W where the models are just in the same .pac/pcs?

At this point we should just wait until the PMBR pulls something out of their magic hat and blows everyone's mind with it. Everyone on this thread is a little to afraid to think out of the box. The Clone Engine isn't as ridiculously limited as everyone perceives it to be.

That's kind of why I've been posting so many crazy ideas on this thread.

Shin F.

Smash Master
So she shares a model with Popo and only swaps textures? Or is it like G&W where the models are just in the same .pac/pcs?

At this point we should just wait until the PMBR pulls something out of their magic hat and blows everyone's mind with it. Everyone on this thread is a little to afraid to think out of the box. The Clone Engine isn't as ridiculously limited as everyone perceives it to be.

That's kind of why I've been posting so many crazy ideas on this thread.
Each costume file has both Nana and Popo's models and such stored together in it like G&W, except that there's a different file for each pair. So, default Popo and Nana are stored together in the same file (FitPopo00), Red Popo and Nana are stored together in the same file (FitPopo01), etc. They have different models and textures for the most part, although I believe that they initially shared the same face texture.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Each costume file has both Nana and Popo's models and such stored together in it like G&W, except that there's a different file for each pair. So, default Popo and Nana are stored together in the same file (FitPopo00), Red Popo and Nana are stored together in the same file (FitPopo01), etc. They have different models and textures for the most part, although I believe that they initially shared the same face texture.
Well then Plusle and Minun should be completely possible then.

4:00 AM, I'm going to bed.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Here, I just went into BrawlBox to take a snapshot of what I mean, though you responded before I could upload them :p. This is inside of FitPopo00.pac. The first part (ModelData[0]) stores Popo's model, then the second part (ModelData[1]) stores Nana's model. TextureData[0] contains the textures for both, and ModelData[10] is a shared, simpler version of their model that's used for casting shadows (to avoid lag when casting shadows from their more complex models.)

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I forgot about WarioWare for a while. I think I'll make a Jimmy T. moveset when I get around to it. Personally I'd rather have him than Ashley (she isn't even very significant in WarioWare.)
Ashley is incredibly significant to Wario Ware. She has her theme song in Brawl twice for her English and Japanese varients respectively, due to her popularity with the Japanese fanbase. I'm not 100% sure about her popularity in the US though. At the very least I would say she is fairly popular.

When it comes to choosing, I'd like either one of them. They are both noticeable faces of Wario Ware.

Last edited:

El Fonz0

Smash Apprentice
Okay, here's my votes. Question: Can I give a full vote and a half vote to the same character? And similarly, can I change a half vote to a full vote later?
Up-Votes:
Tails-This might be the little guy's only chance to be in a Smash game, and I like to think he'd be a more aerial-based Sonic Luigi-clone.

Pichu-Originally, I thought that Pichu shouldn't be a character, but then I saw all of the ideas for him, and I really like the idea of incorporating Pichu's self-damage aspect into increased damage.

Ridley-Now, I know that resizing Ridley would be no problem, but we all know that he can't be too small, cause then the intimidating space dragon won't be intimidating. I'd like to see him hunched over on the ground like those fancy images of with the red-line Ridley on SSB4's Battlefield. I can easily see him using Charizard as a base.

Half-Votes:
Blaziken-I don't think I've seen anything about Blaziken. He could very easily be a clone of Captain Falcon
<strike>Skull Kid</strike>
<strike>Dark Samus</strike>
Samurai Goroh
Waluigi
Isaac

Indifferents:
Fire Emblem Guys
Pokemon Trainer
Black Shadow
If I can, I'd like to change some of my half-votes to full votes:

Skull Kid: I remembered that Skull Kid was confirmed to be an assist trophy in SSB4, so Skull Kid in P:M would be his only chance to be in a Smash game until (maybe) SSB5.

Dark Samus: I wasn't really that sure if I wanted to put one of my votes for Dark Samus, but then I decided that I don't really care that much about anyone else. Besides, Dark Samus was one of the most badass villains ever, and one of the most important(and memorable) Metroid characters.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
The whole point of porting Gdorf's set to BShadow is just that- to port his set over. If they changed Flame Choke it would no longer be Gdorf's set and thus you just removed Gdorf from the roster and that'd be an even ****tier move to Dorf mains.
Chill out, man, no need to swear.
Do you realize that some people still like Gerudo Dragon?
And that Flame choke fits Ganondorf at all, plus they have room for making enough Ganon-esque moves.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Chill out, man, no need to swear.
Do you realize that some people still like Gerudo Dragon?
And that Flame choke fits Ganondorf at all, plus they have room for making enough Ganon-esque moves.
The new Gdorf can have Gerudo Dragon then. Black Shadow is supposed to inherit everything from Gdorf and changing one of his coolest moves in the process already contradicts that.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
About Ganon,

I think I Ganon can get better moves over his useless ones it would be good.

Taking inspiration from the mod I posted.

If he gets his Sword ONLY for his smashes and he gets a new Uptilt and Down tilt like those in the mod and maybe a new Nair (don't got any ideas for it though...) and of course a new Neutral B! I think both Ganon mains plus people who want a canon Ganon would be happy. And over all Ganon would still be the same but now is more unieqe and is just a better and more viable character.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Huh what? It should just been a taunt that unsheathes his sword and changes four or five moves, like Samus.
Ganondorf just needs a few new tools, not this dumb Black Shadow idea.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
While I'm still in favor of the Black Shadow idea I still think we should stay away from discussing this since it ALWAYS erupts into a flame war.

KaosHavok

Smash Rookie
I just want to weigh in with a single upvote:
+1 For Skull Kid/Majora's Mask
The Zelda series does have quite a bit of representation, but beyond that I believe Skull Kid has the potential bring a unique playstyle to the series that not many other characters can boast. The roster is full of superpowered psychics, master swordsmen, and cute killers. An impish, playful trickster with a dark streak could add a different style to the game as a slippery stealther, trap setter, doppleganger, or position-dependent backstabber. Because of his loosely defined powers in Majora's Mask, you also get a lot of leeway to add your own creativity with him. I understand that's a lot of work, but I'm going to support the little fella and hope for the best.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I don't think Captain Falcon's moveset fairly represents the character and I find that insulting. I say we move his moveset to Blaziken so Falcon can have a true moveset based on his car. #CanonFalcon2014

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I don't think Captain Falcon's moveset fairly represents the character and I find that insulting. I say we move his moveset to Blaziken so Falcon can have a true moveset based on his car. #CanonFalcon2014
Just to clear something up (as well as contradicting my previous post) I'm sure a LOT of us are okay with how characters like Captain Falcon, Shiek, and the spacies play PRECISELY because the creators couldn't really pull any of their moves directly from canon. However, Ganondorf is quite clearly the exception because there's a LOT to take inspiration from. Barring the obvious Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess games it's important to remember that Ganon, the other form of Ganondorf, has been in more titles and some of Ganondorf's moves could be inspired by him as well. Summoning flaming bats and teleporting around like in A Link to the Past would be more awesome than copying the moveset of another character--one whose canon didn't allow for a lot of inspiration for it.

In short, no, making Ganondorf more original and canonical is not a ridiculous prospect like you think. Still I WILL concede that changing Ganondorf this way will no doubt alienate people like you, and that IS a big problem in all this, so I nonetheless understand where you're coming from.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
7:07-8:10
It's been done before this is an outrage!!!!!!!11
I must see Captain Falcon use his car for his moveset like it should have been in the first place. But don't worry Falcon mains you'll get Blaziken so the moveset is still there just not the aesthetic and personality that was there before. Same diff whateva mang erryone wins.

El Fonz0

Smash Apprentice
I must see Captain Falcon use his car for his moveset like it should have been in the first place. But don't worry Falcon mains you'll get Blaziken so the moveset is still there just not the aesthetic and personality that was there before. Same diff whateva mang erryone wins.
That sure was an immature way of going about this.
Don't think you have to stoop to mockery to get your point across

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
That game looked bad

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
About Ganon,

I think I Ganon can get better moves over his useless ones it would be good.

Taking inspiration from the mod I posted.

If he gets his Sword ONLY for his smashes and he gets a new Uptilt and Down tilt like those in the mod and maybe a new Nair (don't got any ideas for it though...) and of course a new Neutral B! I think both Ganon mains plus people who want a canon Ganon would be happy. And over all Ganon would still be the same but now is more unieqe and is just a better and more viable character.
I was thinking the same thing. I might keep his Up/Down-smashes intact and replace his Utilt, Fsmash, and Nair-- all three of whom use involve his sword. His new Neutral B could be a close-range version of his OoT energy balls (since projectiles aren't possible to code as far as I know).

Summoning flaming bats and teleporting around like in A Link to the Past would be more awesome than copying the moveset of another character--one whose canon didn't allow for a lot of inspiration for it.
A new roll animation and air-dodge, perhaps?

So of the people that want him, there are people that want Pichu to be good, and there are people who want him to be bad... If you make him good, then he can't be a joke character. And if you make him a joke character, then he can't be good...
Or we could make Pichu so bad he's good :troll:
Joking aside, Dan in Street Fighter who's clearly the joke character is still fairly competent in Street Fighter 4. That may be the happier medium between the two camps.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
And people thought Shadow was a bad choice... I'm pretty sure when a game stoops low enough to make bears, miniature farting dinosaurs, cars, and salmon into playable fighters, we've hit the all time low. I think Santa Claus and Dracula we're better ideas.

Sandbag confirmed for 4.0.

Shin F.

Smash Master
BTW, is it me or does that pic of Ben that Solbliminal posted look a lot like Barry Burton?

Err... anyways, back on topic and away from WW3 causing arguments involving electric mice and Dark Lords... what would people think of Impa? She's a staple of the Zelda series and has been for a long time and she could have abilities based on her status as the Sage of Shadows. Perhaps she could have Sheik as a base, with an added dagger or sword or something to give her more reach but slightly less speed. I dunno. I just want something interesting to talk about again.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
BTW, is it me or does that pic of Ben that Solbliminal posted look a lot like Barry Burton?

Err... anyways, back on topic and away from WW3 causing arguments involving electric mice and Dark Lords... what would people think of Impa? She's a staple of the Zelda series and has been for a long time and she could have abilities based on her status as the Sage of Shadows. Perhaps she could have Sheik as a base, with an added dagger or sword or something to give her more reach but slightly less speed. I dunno. I just want something interesting to talk about again.
He looks more like Chuck Norris to me.

As for interesting character topics, Ray MK III has been getting some notice recently. I want to see ideas for him.

JediLink

Smash Ace
Doesn't appear in Brawl, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom