• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
I'd been thinking a SMASH based character would be a fantastic choice. :3
The character could be something of an automation of the three generic Multi Man foes, the Fighting Polygons, Wire Frames, and Alloys. To round this out, the bot is controlled by our two "Manic Laughing Limb Extensions", Master Hand and Crazy Hand. Perhaps they could be a wacky Mix and Match of character movesets, like the bots, with a very combo oriented twist.The downside of such a fantastic offensive mix would be the fact that they have beyond spacie fall speed, similar to metal Mario.

GIVE ME MORE IDEAS PERTAINING TO THIS, LADIES AND GENTS!!

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Starfy's pretty lame to me. I played the DS game (the first one that came to America) and the whole game felt like a slog to me. It felt like all the game mechanics were added in a vacuum and only served to give the game more "personality."

...and on that joyful note, Merry Christmas everyone! Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

Seriously, what are you doing up? I know that I for one am going to bed. I'll check back in the morning.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I'm still kinda surprised that no one has nominated/voted for Ray 01 from Custom Robo yet. I feel like bringing him up as I've was looking through the OP and surprisingly found he was not in there at all. Just thought I'd bring him up. If no one wants him then what eves.
Sorry if this is a bit of a late reply. I believe the issue mentioned was that he is a projectile reliant character, which PMBR cannot create projectiles. It has been ages since I've played Custom Robot, but I absolutely loved it. I don't remember if there was ever any physical attacks in that game.. But hey if Ray 01 were playable, I'd be pretty happy.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
Sorry if this is a bit of a late reply. I believe the issue mentioned was that he is a projectile reliant character, which PMBR cannot create projectiles. It has been ages since I've played Custom Robot, but I absolutely loved it. I don't remember if there was ever any physical attacks in that game.. But hey if Ray 01 were playable, I'd be pretty happy.

I'd just like to say that making projectiles is completely possible. if the PMBR were able to use Samus as a base, they'd have three-four projectiles (not sure if morph ball bomb is considered a projectile) to mess around with. See Mewtwo's Shadow Ball, and Snakes tranq gun for a better idea of what projectiles were edited.

But as I've said, I'd be super hyped if Ray got in with that design. Make her a semi clone of samus, only changing specials and a few smashs/normals, and you got yourself a competent Ray 01.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I'd just like to say that making projectiles is completely possible. if the PMBR were able to use Samus as a base, they'd have three-four projectiles (not sure if morph ball bomb is considered a projectile) to mess around with. See Mewtwo's Shadow Ball, and Snakes tranq gun for a better idea of what projectiles were edited.

But as I've said, I'd be super hyped if Ray got in with that design. Make her a semi clone of samus, only changing specials and a few smashs/normals, and you got yourself a competent Ray 01.
Editing existing projectiles is possible, but not creating new ones.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Starfy's pretty lame to me. I played the DS game (the first one that came to America) and the whole game felt like a slog to me. It felt like all the game mechanics were added in a vacuum and only served to give the game more "personality."
Really? I haven't tried the DS game but the first two GBA games are pretty fun so far.

As for Starfy as a character, I posted a moveset for him ages ago. I think he'd be a fun character to play as and would be generally easy (definately easier than others) to make.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Really? I haven't tried the DS game but the first two GBA games are pretty fun so far.

As for Starfy as a character, I posted a moveset for him ages ago. I think he'd be a fun character to play as and would be generally easy (definately easier than others) to make.
Maybe, but I don't see myself excited to play someone like Starfy. That's why, even though I voted for him, I don't harp on about Toad anymore because the reaction to him has been mostly "Ehhh..." Maybe if he was another Jigglypuff character (the Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass type) I'd like him, but if PMBR made a trailer for him trying to drum up hype I don't see myself getting excited.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal

VvVvVvV

Editing existing projectiles is possible, but not creating new ones.
This is what I was saying. I'm aware of the requirements of the clone engine character. But you cannot create projectiles from thin air. You have to edit an existing one. So whichever character is most projectile heavy would be the best choice. Snake or Link would be the best options. I would go for Snake. If anyone is up for Ray 01 I'm game.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Zelda's new look in Smash 4 is based on her Twilight Princess design again! Boy howdy do her eyes look murderous in some of those pics!

http://www.smashbros.com/sp/us/characters/zelda.html

*please don't attack me for saying "boy howdy" I just like saying old-timey terms

Of note is how she seems to command a pink Phantom like her appearance in Spirit Tracks. Meaning she might lose the ability to become Shiek if it's her new down special o_0

If Shiek (who I theorize will be reskinned as Impa from Skyward Sword) and Zelda do end up getting separated and with their own specials, do you guys think Project M should follow suit? While I don't see them giving her a Phantom it'd be great if both Shiek and Zelda got a new option for fighting. In tourneys I hardly see anyone switching between the two anyway.

EDIT: I woke up in the middle of the night and realized that this actually has no bearing on the clone engine. Man have I been bad at being relevant lately :(

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
That Phantom is clearly an assist trophy, she's just posed to look like she's controlling it in the screenshot. She's doing the same pose in the one with Link and Peach in it.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
That Phantom is clearly an assist trophy, she's just posed to look like she's controlling it in the screenshot. She's doing the same pose in the one with Link and Peach in it.
Yeah you might be right.

Also I edited my post after a nightmare of being flogged (flagged) by a giant, murderous can of Spam. I should stay relevant. Going back to bed now...

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
I have to say, as a big fan of Custom Robo, having Ray as a playable character would be awesome. Though I'm wondering why Ray01, as Ray MK III is already an assist trophy in Brawl.

Anyhow, my votes:

1) Gray Fox (Nearly impossible to win on this one, but I can try)
2) Ray MK III (maybe votes for Ray could just be tallied for the same character, if anyone's planning to vote for him)
3) Pokemon Trainer
4) Saki
5) Andy

I would've voted for Isaac and Lyn, but it doesn't look like they need my help.

Downvotes:
Ridley - I know about all the arguments about whether or not he's "too big". I do like Ridley, but I just don't think he'd fit well as a playable character. I can't really complain about the fact that he'd be smaller than his boss counterpart that's already in the game, because I'd like Ray MK III to be about the same size as other playable characters instead of an action figure. But I feel that when Ridley is shrunken to the "proper" size, he lacks a lot of what makes him cool and imposing. Mostly I'm thinking of the video of the PSA that was linked at the beginning of the thread - mini-Ridley looked kind of unimpressive (not trying to say that I don't respect the amount of work that went into making him).

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I have to say, as a big fan of Custom Robo, having Ray as a playable character would be awesome. Though I'm wondering why Ray01, as Ray MK III is already an assist trophy in Brawl.

Anyhow, my votes:

1) Gray Fox (Nearly impossible to win on this one, but I can try)
2) Ray MK III (maybe votes for Ray could just be tallied for the same character, if anyone's planning to vote for him)
3) Pokemon Trainer
4) Saki
5) Andy

I would've voted for Isaac and Lyn, but it doesn't look like they need my help.

Downvotes:
Ridley - I know about all the arguments about whether or not he's "too big". I do like Ridley, but I just don't think he'd fit well as a playable character. I can't really complain about the fact that he'd be smaller than his boss counterpart that's already in the game, because I'd like Ray MK III to be about the same size as other playable characters instead of an action figure. But I feel that when Ridley is shrunken to the "proper" size, he lacks a lot of what makes him cool and imposing. Mostly I'm thinking of the video of the PSA that was linked at the beginning of the thread - mini-Ridley looked kind of unimpressive (not trying to say that I don't respect the amount of work that went into making him).
I don't care what version of Ray they use. I'm all for it.

+½ vote for Ray MKIII

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
How about Dracula as a character? Not Dracula from Castlevania specifically, just a regular old Dracula. He's in public domain and it's the closest we can ever get to a "Castlevania" character to go along with his castle.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
How about Dracula as a character? Not Dracula from Castlevania specifically, just a regular old Dracula. He's in public domain and it's the closest we can ever get to a "Castlevania" character to go along with his castle.
Adding Dracula alone would be odd. At that point you might as well add Santa, The Easter Bunny, and a Leprechaun. I'd rather have Pichu if we are that desperate for characters.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Adding Dracula alone would be odd. At that point you might as well add Santa, The Easter Bunny, and a Leprechaun. I'd rather have Pichu if we are that desperate for characters.
I'd rather have Santa than Pichu to be honest. But yeah I see your point.

It's just I'm tired of Luigi's Mansion being replaced by a stage that doesn't have any representation in Smash. At least balance it out by including another non Nintendo stage, like from Contra or Final Fantasy or something.

EDIT: Christmas is sadly over so I changed my avatar. How about you guys?

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
I'd be cool with Starfy if Pichu or Tingle didn't make it. I could see him working pretty well as a quasi-:troll: character like Jiggs.

Sorry I've been kinda quiet. It feels like we've discussed the heck out of all of the characters I've been really hoping for (Ridley, Pichu, Lyn, Issac, etc). As great as so many of these suggestions are, it's too bad that there's only room for five more characters.

(I'm also seriously doubting they'll add another Sonic character, but you never know-- I could be totally wrong! If they do, I'm rooting for Knuckles.)

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I had this crazy idea for Excite Biker in the shower earlier...

He could be clone off of Wario so he can use his bike. He could also do attacks with the bike and be able to jump with the bike. He could do things like pop a wheelie, then run into you, use you as a ramp and launch himself into the air. Seems difficult to make but it might be worth it and is definitely possible.

I think Mach Rider was mentioned before, but I feel like Excite Biker is better known and would fit right in with the cast.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
So what would you do to make Wario's motorbike fun and tactical to use for Mach Rider / Excite Biker? Other than as a weird offstage spike it was useless in Brawl.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I think OrangeSodaGuy is right--we've discussed a lot of great characters that it's hard to think of anymore would excite a lot of people. All we can really do now is come up with movesets for characters again. Like, does anyone have a good idea of how Skull Kid would play? Did I miss someone's moveset for him?

Also it looks like this thread has had a significant drop in traffic :( I loved seeing everyone post here with minute by minute frequency but I guess everyone's spending time with their family. My family's not doing anything so I have a lot of time to myself...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom