• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
Which is the exact reason I think the Metroid, F-Zero, and Star Fox universes should merge, especially the latter two. I'm totally biased when I say I'd rather Legend of Zelda stay its own, but if Nintendo decided to merge it with Fire Emblem and Golden Sun, at least for a spinoff crossover, I wouldn't complain. Could be interesting!

Metroid x F-Zero would be killer but Starfox shouldn't have anything to do with either of those series. When you try to mix a universe with real people (+ realisticish aliens I guess) with a universe filled entirely with anthropomorphic animals it just falls apart.
Even if you consider that F-Zero has some really anthro characters it still doesn't work out.

Actually considering that there's also a character who's a reference to Star Fox in F-Zero who is also a human really erases the last chance of that working out in any way.

edit: This talk doesn't really belong in this thread though.

l3thargy

Smash Journeyman
Metroid x F-Zero would be killer but Starfox shouldn't have anything to do with either of those series. When you try to mix a universe with real people (+ realisticish aliens I guess) with a universe filled entirely with anthropomorphic animals it just falls apart.
Even if you consider that F-Zero has some really anthro characters it still doesn't work out.

Actually considering that there's also a character who's a reference to Star Fox in F-Zero who is also a human really erases the last chance of that working out in any way.

edit: This talk doesn't really belong in this thread though.
I agree with all this

Shin F.

Smash Master
Canon ignoring wacky all stars type games don't count. That should be obvious.
The point you were making, though, was that it wouldn't work because it would be mixing human and alien universes with an anthropomorphic animal universe. But SSB has proven that it IS possible to make them feel as though they belong together. As you've said, F-Zero already has anthro characters. Metroid has a number of non-human aliens. There's no reason Star Fox would feel out of place.

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
The point you were making, though, was that it wouldn't work because it would be mixing human and alien universes with an anthropomorphic animal universe. But SSB has proven that it IS possible to make them feel as though they belong together. As you've said, F-Zero already has anthro characters. Metroid has a number of non-human aliens. There's no reason Star Fox would feel out of place.

Not if that crossover was meant to be at all taken seriously which really is what I'd be wanting with it. Even if you make the crossover be born from some alt universes colliding style plot point having one of those universes be one full of these animal people becomes too far fetched.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Not if that crossover was meant to be at all taken seriously which really is what I'd be wanting with it. Even if you make the crossover be born from some alt universes colliding style plot point having one of those universes be one full of these animal people becomes too far fetched.
Why would they need to be alt universes? Why not distant galaxies? In any case, I don't see why anthros would be farfetched in a setting where we already have anthros. Let's not forget that the Chozo were anthro birds, shall we? Not unlike Falco, in fact. There's some interesting character interaction, right there.

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
I used alt universes as the absolute most distant the series can be, it's an extreme that I wouldn't be that fond of. Anyway as much as you can say "hey look this is similar" and "wouldn't this be an interesting scenario" it would still just feel too silly with Starfox in there. Really I'd say the clincher is that Starfox is %100 Anthros while Metroid and F-Zero are very human focused with an alien element that for the most part is really very aliens that look like aliens. I cannot put Starfox next to either Metroid or F-Zero and think that they could go together while Metroid and F-Zero synch up just fine.

Also this is absolutely my closing argument, we've driven this thead way too far off topic and really it's pretty clear that continuing's just going to go nowhere.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Not if that crossover was meant to be at all taken seriously which really is what I'd be wanting with it.
Why so serious?

Also, in one of Star Fox Command's alternate endings, Fox and Falco retire from space fighting and transform their arwings into "G-Zero Racers":

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Humans and anthros?...Gotta go fast?...Reminds me of this tragedy.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I could swallow any crossover Nintendo throws our way, but please leave Metroid and Zelda out of it. It just...doesn't feel right...

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I would've preferred it if Sonic's only human was Robotnik since he was cartoonishly proportioned. Seeing him and Sonic and his friends coexist with realistic human people in the newer games is so jarring to look at. Other that, I don't like anthros and humans coexisting like that.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I can't stand Sega's choice to include proportional humans in the Sonic games. They tried making Sonic too serious and it really scarred the series. Glad they abandoned that with Lost Worlds.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
YES! Let's hope SEGA continues the Sonic Colors and Sonic Lost World route, great artistic choice on their part. Even if I wasn't completely satisfied with Lost World (it was okay but I liked Super Mario 3D World way more) I'd like them to give it another shot.

...now, what are we supposed to be talking about again?

(Looks at thread title)

OHHHHH! Alright. I got nothin' :p

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Hey Anti Guy, in celebration of Christmas can we campaign for Santa Claus for today and tomorrow? Good Dedede clone potential here...

EDIT: checked the bottom of the page, he's not here right now. Quick, discuss movesets!

...ahh, never mind. This joke wouldn't catch on anyway :laugh:

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
But Santa's public domain, so there are no legal issues. Thus, the rules that were put in place to avoid a C&D because of legal issues can be considered null and void for Santa.

I still think Charles Barkley would make a great Captain Falcon clone. There are laws protecting us from prosecution for using the likeness of real people in the instance of parody.

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
Why so serious?

Also, in one of Star Fox Command's alternate endings, Fox and Falco retire from space fighting and transform their arwings into "G-Zero Racers":
I said I wasn't going to continue but I can't resist saying that to me the idea of Samus and C. Falcon teaming up is extremely cool but that only remains the case while the setting is fairly serious. So I guess that's why so serious.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I know Falcon is a bounty hunter too, but an intense racing franchise crossing over with a dark, exploration-focused franchise seems too unfeasible in my eyes. It would be like........I have nuthin...

And Merry Christmas to you guys!

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
I imagine such a crossover wouldn't involve very much racing, most of the characters in F-Zero are taking a break from doing a real job to be in the race so it would be a great opportunity to show that. Although seeing Samus participating in an F-Zero race would be pretty cool.
This is seriously starting to feel like it deserves it's own thread.

Edit: Merry Christmas from Australia! it's still a while till it hit America where it seems most of you are right?

Shin F.

Smash Master
I imagine such a crossover wouldn't involve very much racing, most of the characters in F-Zero are taking a break from doing a real job to be in the race so it would be a great opportunity to show that. Although seeing Samus participating in an F-Zero race would be pretty cool.
This is seriously starting to feel like it deserves it's own thread.

Edit: Merry Christmas from Australia! it's still a while till it hit America where it seems most of you are right?
Merry Christmas! About six more hours where I live till Christmas, but eh.

Go on ahead and make a thread for it if you want. It'll keep the clutter out of here.

Anyways, I imagined that the game would have different segments based on each series throughout the story. There would be parts where you have to race, explore, battle... play an on-rails shooting course. And then, you'd have different characters who are better at different aspects. Captain Falcon would be the best racer, Samus would be the best adventurer, Fox the best battle pilot, etc. They would each have weaknesses, as well - Fox might have trouble with adventuring portions, for example, or Samus might not be a good racer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom