• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
See, now I want to see a Fire Emblem x DW game next. Ike/Marth/Hector/Chrom hacking apart armies of thousands? I'd throw my money AND my chest hair at that.

Also, I'm not really for Telda, just because it'd either take two slots to include Tetra because people want her, or use one slot for Telda, which honestly just kills the hype. I understand it's theoretically easier by miles than most other things, but...yeah.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
So, let's talk about the very real possibility of geno in p:m, since Shadic has made a geno for project m...
Geno doesn't qualify since:
1. He is third-party (Square-Enix in particular is notorious for shutting down fan projects)
2. He makes absolutely no appearance in Brawl.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Geno made a cameo in Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, explaining one of the mini games. That's the game it's from.

Also, Mallow's also not eligible for the same reasons as Geno. Owned by Square, not in Brawl.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
In general there was a lot of bad blood between Square and Nintendo regarding Super Mario RPG. Nintendo basically took most of the money that game made, and in compensation (more like a raw deal) Nintendo gave Square the rights to any characters and music created exclusively for that game.

It was among the reasons why Square basically abandoned Nintendo during the Nintendo 64 era despite being such a major developer on the Super Nintendo.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Two things.

a) Shin Megami x FE as well as DW x Zelda? Nintedo's doing quite a few crossovers on the Wii U and I for one am excited. I've always said that a Fire Emblem x Zelda would work pretty well (Link and Zelda would make excellent lords.) FE gameplay, Zelda mythos.

b) I'm hoping that Hyrule Warriors - crazy idea here, absolutely NUTS - has Zelda playable, because hey, wouldn't it be loony if you could *play* Zelda in a Legend of Zelda game?!

You may now return to the topic. And FYI on Tetra/Telda - I'd rather we just have Telda.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I'm hoping that Hyrule Warriors - crazy idea here, absolutely NUTS - has Zelda playable, because hey, wouldn't it be loony if you could *play* Zelda in a Legend of Zelda game?!

Isn't she playable in Spirit Tracks?

You may now return to the topic. And FYI on Tetra/Telda - I'd rather we just have Telda.

I'd rather just have Tetra.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Here is what I see happening as far the five slots go:
- Lyn
- Isaac
- Metroid newcomer

The next two I am less certain about:
- Mario or DK newcomer (Dixie, Bowser Jr., or Waluigi)
- Pichu or another new series newcomer (Saki, Sukapon, Sami)

I think we will see the next character for Project M in March at the absolute earliest and June at the absolute latest.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Well, depends on what you mean by "chapter". We're getting 3.0b soon (I've heard as early as "before January"). But that's just bug fixes.

It also depends on what PMBR feels like doing. If they're against Lyn (for instance), there's no point fighting it. I think my top three are Lyn, Isaac, and Dixie, though.

Ginge

Smash Ace
If they made Claus / Masked Man into a character, would they remove the Claus coloring from Lucas? Or the new alt costume they had made?

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I disagree. Fire Emblem is already about big battles and all that good stuff. Fire Emblem Warriors would be largely the same except a different genre. Hyrule Warriors gives them a chance to open up the world of Zelda, delve into the history, and expand upon the lore.
It is because Fire Emblem has more to offer to the "Warriors" system than Zelda does. You usually have a handful of characters to play as. If Link is the only playable character, it honestly defeats the purpose of being a "Warriors" series game. Even with Ganon, Zelda, Sheik, Impa, Vaati, Skull Kid, and various one off villains or heroes, it does not nearly supply the list of characters that the Fire Emblem series offers. Anything after Impa and maybe Vaati is pushing it in terms of characters as it is. If they add new characters, then sure. Why not? I'm not saying Hyrule Warriors is a bad idea. I'm just saying it makes less sense than a series that has established that setting already.

Shin F.

Smash Master
It is because Fire Emblem has more to offer to the "Warriors" system than Zelda does. You usually have a handful of characters to play as. If Link is the only playable character, it honestly defeats the purpose of being a "Warriors" series game. Even with Ganon, Zelda, Sheik, Impa, Vaati, Skull Kid, and various one off villains or heroes, it does not nearly supply the list of characters that the Fire Emblem series offers. Anything after Impa and maybe Vaati is pushing it in terms of characters as it is. If they add new characters, then sure. Why not? I'm not saying Hyrule Warriors is a bad idea. I'm just saying it makes less sense than a series that has established that setting already.
From that standpoint, yes, but think of it from Nintendo's point of view - Zelda is a far more popular game than Fire Emblem, so chances are Hyrule Warriors will probably sell more than a Fire Emblem game would based on that alone. Nintendo is, after all, a business, and making $ is their number one priority. That's not to say Fire Emblem isn't popular, but Zelda is much more so.

Let's see- characters the game could use...

Link
Zelda
Ganondorf
Vaati
Sheik
Skull Kid
Majora
Midna
Tetra?
Impa
Zant
Ghirahim
Demise
Saria
Darunia
Darbus
Darmani
Ruto
Kafei
Nabooru
Aveil
Rauru
Medli?
Makar?
Fado
Laruto
Tingle
Garo
Generic soldiers of each race
Any number of original characters
Tons of others I can't be bothered to list

While Fire Emblem definitely has more characters (no argument there), Zelda has enough to have a good cast, and being the more popular franchise, it's pretty much a no-brainer which of the two to choose. How many characters does a Dynasty Warriors game typically have? I haven't played one, so it'd be good to know.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
From that standpoint, yes, but think of it from Nintendo's point of view - Zelda is a far more popular game than Fire Emblem, so chances are Hyrule Warriors will probably sell more than a Fire Emblem game would based on that alone. Nintendo is, after all, a business, and making $ is their number one priority. That's not to say Fire Emblem isn't popular, but Zelda is much more so.

Let's see- characters the game could use...

Link
Zelda
Ganondorf
Vaati
Sheik
Skull Kid
Majora
Midna
Tetra?
Impa
Zant
Ghirahim
Demise
Saria
Darunia
Darbus
Darmani
Ruto
Kafei
Nabooru
Aveil
Rauru
Medli?
Makar?
Fado
Laruto
Tingle
Garo
Generic soldiers of each race
Any number of original characters
Tons of others I can't be bothered to list

While Fire Emblem definitely has more characters (no argument there), Zelda has enough to have a good cast, and being the more popular franchise, it's pretty much a no-brainer which of the two to choose. How many characters does a Dynasty Warriors game typically have? I haven't played one, so it'd be good to know.
Let's not forget Deku, Zora, and Goron Link.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
The same. Just like the rest of Majora's Mask, really.
Skull Kid for Clone Engine. Obey. Obey. Obe- ****, I don't think it's working.
Yeah, fair point! :laugh: I actually kinda think the Garo might have been planned to be playable at one point in development, considering the importance they put on that mask--and how ****in' cool it would be.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Ok guys i got one question about animations, would you like to see every Clone Engine Char. with reused animations from other characters?
I mean someone like Isaac should have totally original animations, he's from a non playable-represented franchise, and his play style would differ a lot from others because sword and magic, what im trying to say is giving some characters like Isaac, and Lyn an individual personality.

While others like Dixie could use more animations from her primate friends combined with some new animations, and in a little extent Ridley could use a few animations from Charizard, maybe with little editing to make them look more bestial combined with new ones akin to his -again- bestial personality.

I know you get my point, it certainly means more work, but it could benefit the characters to stand apart.
Again, maybe they can be called Clone Engine Characters, but the Clone word doesn't mean they necessarily means they all will be clones, that word only stands because of the process of adding new characters.
What do you guys think?

Ginge

Smash Ace
[collapse=Mario Vid]This was enjoyable.
[/collapse]

I don't think there will be any mods to Ganon's playstyle unless they do that idea about Black Shadow. But a lot of the Ganon players WOULD NOT be happy about that.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord

But that's exactly why Zelda makes more sense than Fire Emblem. Fire Emblem is already heavily about big war settings and character development, changing the genre doesn't provide any potential to work on the expanded universe. Zelda has always been very much about the Triforce trio with story focusing almost exclusively on Zelda and [insert villain here]. Making a spinoff hold the potential to delve into the different parts of history, races, characters, that Zelda has to offer. Any story that a Fire Emblem Warriors game could have to offer could just as easily be done as a main series game.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Ok guys i got one question about animations, would you like to see every Clone Engine Char. with reused animations from other characters?
I mean someone like Isaac should have totally original animations, he's from a non playable-represented franchise, and his play style would differ a lot from others because sword and magic, what im trying to say is giving some characters like Isaac, and Lyn an individual personality.

While others like Dixie could use more animations from her primate friends combined with some new animations, and in a little extent Ridley could use a few animations from Charizard, maybe with little editing to make them look more bestial combined with new ones akin to his -again- bestial personality.

I know you get my point, it certainly means more work, but it could benefit the characters to stand apart.
Again, maybe they can be called Clone Engine Characters, but the Clone word doesn't mean they necessarily means they all will be clones, that word only stands because of the process of adding new characters.
What do you guys think?

Silly question. Sure, we would like to see original animations, but that's probably not going to happen, and that's asking too much of the team. That's like asking a game developer to add on 100 unlockables despite their budget (money + time). Sure it can benefit the characters, but asking them to do that much and flesh out like 5 original characters is overkill. And sometimes they don't even care too much about characters standing apart, like how they made Falco more like his cloney self in Melee.

Overall, I'm not seeing this understanding from many of the posters here, despite me repeating it several times. When it comes to "I think it looks like this is going to be the 5" it usually boils down to popularity based on these results or fitting some series slots. I really doubt it's going to be like that. The number one criteria is what selection of characters are going to be most time efficient and then try to make them as diverse and hype-generating as possible. Given that, I think the five slots would more resemble 3 clones and 2 uniques.

So for example:

Clones:
1. Lyn (off Ike)
2. Dark Samus (off Samus) - The fact that Dark Samus would be much easier to make and that she doesn't lag far behind Ridley in demand makes her more appealing as a project.
3. Bowser Jr. (off Bowser)

Unique characters:
4. Isaac (because he is by far the most demanded)
5. ??? K. Rool or Skapon based on popularity. Or maybe a surprise character like Andy or Tom Nook.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
like how they made Falco more like his cloney self in Melee.
*Rage Mode Engage*

Falco is unique from Fox in more ways then you think. Most of his specials serve completely different purposes then Fox and just because his animations are the same doesn`t mean they are 1:1 copies of each other. Falco was what started this project and there is no real reason to change him.

Ginge

Smash Ace
And sometimes they don't even care too much about characters standing apart, like how they made Falco more like his cloney self in Melee.

To be fair, it took more work to make Falco like he was in Melee than it would have been to leave him in his Brawl attack style. I think it was almost required for characters like Falco, Fox, Marth, and Sheik to be returned to their Melee movesets. And if they made Falco unique now, there might very well be riots :p

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
*Rage Mode Engage*

Falco is unique from Fox in more ways then you think. Most of his specials serve completely different purposes then Fox and just because his animations are the same doesn`t mean they are 1:1 copies of each other. Falco was what started this project and there is no real reason to change him.

I'm pretty sure he just meant that Melee Falco resembles Fox more than Brawl Falco, even though they play nothing alike in both games, hence the word "cloney". And agreed, Falco should stay the same no matter what.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
*Rage Mode Engage*

What a waste of a Rage Mode Engagement. What you just described to is EXACTLY the definition of a clone in the Smash Bros sense. Reused animations but different attack properties to create a different character.

And I never said anything about what Falco should be. I'm just saying that regarding animations, evidence shows that sometimes they don't really care to make them that different when they could. That's all.

Edit: Ninja'd by Empyrean

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
2. Dark Samus (off Samus) - The fact that Dark Samus would be much easier to make and that she doesn't lag far behind Ridley in demand makes her more appealing as a project.
Ridley has literally double the support of Dark Samus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom