• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

red9rd

Smash Ace
If everyone remembers this is at least the second time Koei has included Nintendo characters and content in a Warriors game.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
Here is what I see happening as far the five slots go:
- Lyn
- Isaac
- Metroid newcomer

The next two I am less certain about:
- Mario or DK newcomer (Dixie, Bowser Jr., or Waluigi)
- Pichu or another new series newcomer (Saki, Sukapon, Sami)

I think we will see the next character for Project M in March at the absolute earliest and June at the absolute latest.

Lyn, Issac, Saki, a Metroid newcomer, and a DK newcomer (Most likely K. Rool) sounds like the best case scenario to me.

Also I really like the idea of Lyn being based mostly off of Ike's moveset, though have her have a faster playstyle. perhaps make her a mix of Ike and Marth, but lean closer to Ike than Marth.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Really, her base should be Link so she can use a bow.
Just sayin.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Really, her base should be Link so she can use a bow.
Just sayin.

And you think giving a fast-hitting sword user a projectile as well for even more spacing is going to create a balanced character? And do we really need another Link clone? Not really. And if you want to diverge from the base and make her unique, then that makes her workload that much larger.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Just because her base is Link doesn't mean she'll be a Link clone, a weak projectile won't break her so long as it's made right, and perhaps she would require a lot of effort, but it's better then an Ike clone... which does not make a bit of sense.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Personally, the idea of Lyn as an Ike clone does NOT fit her character / style at all. Like a fast Ike could be fun, but those attacks don't match her well. She'd be better a Marth or Link clone, but we don't need a second Marth or Link clone. It depends on how much we deviate from the base.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Just because her base is Link doesn't mean she'll be a Link clone, a weak projectile won't break her so long as it's made right, and perhaps she would require a lot of effort, but it's better then an Ike clone... which does not make a bit of sense.

...and how does it not make sense?

Ginge

Smash Ace
...and how does it not make sense?
The only thing really in common between them is the series they're from and that they use a type of sword. Lyn's style is no where near Ike's. The only thing that would really carry over well might be the side-B. Dunno, I just don't see it being enough of a good base / there are better fits for her.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Play the FE games? No? Yes? Ah well
Ike's sword style is meant to be based the idea of having no finesse and using raw strength and power to defeat opponents, while still requiring a lot of control at the same time. As weird as it sounds Smash kinda caught that style in Ike's movements. He relies a lot on his strength/power to win matches and his movement is a lot less pretty then Marth/Roy's.
Lyn however, has a large emphasis on being similar to the myridmon/swordmaster classs. She's meant to be fast and lack strength, but makes up for it with finesse. Giving her Ike's movements really would be what Lyn is like and be poor representation. I don't even like Lyn, but if she's going to be put in, it should be done right.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Well, who else could she be cloned from? Let's use process of elimination here and see who we've got. We'll start with all the sword users.
Link
Toon Link
Pit
Meta Knight
Ike
Marth
Roy

Link and Toon Link are already clones, as are Marth and Roy. Meta Knight doesn't have the body, so that leaves Pit and Ike. Would either of them suit her? I saw someone wanting Link to be used for her bow. Maybe Pit can take on that role.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
The only thing really in common between them is the series they're from and that they use a type of sword. Lyn's style is no where near Ike's. The only thing that would really carry over well might be the side-B. Dunno, I just don't see it being enough of a good base / there are better fits for her.

What? That didn't help at all. Focus on the animations. The animations are what you borrow. Adjust for speed, make them faster and quicker. Replace the forward smash and similar attacks that don't fit her style, but aside from those, a majority can just be borrowed.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
Lyn off of Ike is one of the few clones that I feel just wouldn't be worth it.
I just went and looked over Ike's animations, and it really doesn't look like his fighting style is going to cross over to a katana well at all. He rarely keeps his offhand on the hilt, and when he does, it's for a move like fsmash where he really puts his back into it or doesn't move the sword like a katana in the slighteset. That's not even mentioning non-attacking animations, where he almost exclusively holds Ragnell one-handed, which basically goes against the whole point of handling a katana.
There would just be so much "polish" required for animation that it would actually be a pretty significant rework. I'm usually not inclined to say unique or nothing, but this is one instance in which I might.

Ginge

Smash Ace
It would be like using Ike as a basis for Marth. Very few of the animations would carry over. Almost none. I'll look for clips of how Lyn fights.

Edit:
[collapse=Promoted Lyn using Mani Katti]
[/collapse]
[collapse=A bunch of Lyn animations]
Important for Lyn: 1:30 - 2:02[/collapse]

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
It would be like using Ike as a basis for Marth. Very few of the animations would carry over. Almost none. I'll look for clips of how Lyn fights.

Edit:
[/collapse]
What animations? It was just a bunch of Lyn disappearing, white lines, and then Lyn reappearing.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Yup, that's Lyn in game.
Can't you see why so many people want her!?

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87

Edit:
[/collapse]

You can't expect them to copy all of Lyn's animations. And if you haven't noticed, Smash Bros has a very well known tendency to not completely be accurate for each character and takes its own liberties (*cough*especially Ganondorf*cough*)

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
You can't expect them to copy all of Lyn's animations. And if you haven't noticed, Smash Bros has a very well known tendency to not completely be accurate for each character and takes its own liberties (*cough*especially Ganondorf*cough*)
Meanwhile, the P:MBR has a very well-known tendency to try to stay true to who a character is. Were they to put Lyn in the game, they'd do it in such a way that it feels like you're playing Lyn, not fast Ike.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Wasn't
Excuse the hell out of you.
She wouldn't be slapped on, she would be her own damn character and you need to respect. Is Zelda slapped on Sheik? Is Sheik slapped on Zelda? Get out of here with that lame-*** excuse. Telda's cool as ****. Sit the hell down. Haven't seen this kinda disrespect ever, not even with Pichu.
trying to disrespect. ;-;

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
People have said to maybe use Sheik as a base and use Marth and Link for help in attacks, can that work for Lyndis.

Shin F.

Smash Master
People have said to maybe use Sheik as a base and use Marth and Link for help in attacks, can that work for Lyndis.
People think too much of how a character plays and not enough about the animations. Sheik never uses a sword once, so any animations using her katana would likely have to be made scratch... unless Sheik's boneset is compatible with other characters' animations. Even then, it's easier to just use whatever character they're taking all those animations from than it is to port them to Sheik.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Marth seems to best for this or can you not create a bow and a projectile from scratch?

Shin F.

Smash Master
Marth seems to best for this or can you not create a bow and a projectile from scratch?
You can't create any projectile from scratch, but the bow isn't the reason we (read: I) don't want her cloned from Marth. That's not important. The thing is, we already have a Marth clone in Roy. Not many people want more than one clone of the same character, no matter how different they play.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Projectiles are known as articles, and no, it's currently not possible to create them from scratch. If a character needs a projectile, they have to be cloned off of someone with a similar projectile.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
If the PMBR created new specials for the kanto starters, snake and etc, I can definitely see it possible to add a bow move in some shape or for,
Their new specials weren't projectiles (except Ivy's and Snake's, but they already had ones they could use).

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Their new specials weren't projectiles (except Ivy's, but she already had a similar one they could use).
Isn't Snake's tranquilizer gun a projectile that puts opponents to sleep, though. That works totally different then what was originally there.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Isn't Snake's tranquilizer gun a projectile that puts opponents to sleep, though. That works totally different then what was originally there.
It doesn't matter what was originally there. You can change an article as much as you want, but you can not create it from scratch. The Nikita Missile became the Tranquilizer Dart.

MLGF

Smash Lord
It was still able to use the original article.
If they want Lyn to use a bow, they can't use Marth, simple as that.

EDIT: Ninja'd

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Looks like they covered it. Editing articles is entirely possible, but creating new ones is not. Any character that needs a projectile cannot be cloned off of a character without one.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
As I was trying to say using Sheik as a base would be the best option. Lyn is primarily a quickdraw swordsman.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yknow Anti-Guy, I guess it makes sense that K. Rool actually has a chance to be one of the unique characters based on the poll. I still think going with Dixie might be easier, but ALOT less hype worthy.

I still maintain he could have a set that used boxing gloves, the crown (he doesn't HAVE to throw it) and various other physical things might make him easier to develop. (Though a helicopter pack probably isn't impossible. The blunderbuss could just be pulled out with a taunt, as sad as it'd be, at least it's there.

Still though, if K. Rool was added to PM, I wouldn't even need to buy Smash 4 if not for Rosalina and potentially Mac.

Also, couldn't you use the exact same running animation as Wario on K. Rool? It's like his DKC1 run animation in every way.

Also, although Dark Samus is on-paper a very easy clone to make, if they decide to go with Dark Samus rather than Ridley because its easier, why even have a poll at all? Dark Samus isn't anywhere NEAR Rids.

Granted, u had a dream that they revealed Dark Samus first, and it was pretty cool.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
As I was trying to say using Sheik as a base would be the best option. Lyn is primarily a quickdraw swordsman.
The problem is animations in that case. Sheik never uses a sword, nor does she have any moves that look like a sword swing. Theoretically they could borrow animations from other characters though.

the crown
I just realized that if King K. Rool gets into Smash 4, there will be at least three characters who give Kirby a crown as his hat. :p Though it is just an assumption that Rosalina will do so.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

I just realized that if King K. Rool gets into Smash 4, there will be at least three characters who give Kirby a crown as his hat. :p Though it is just an assumption that Rosalina will do so.
Well, Kirby has to keep up with his royal fashions you see! One could be extremely pointy (K. Rool's is ridiculously tall), one shiny and one...whatever Peach has.

Then again, there's always the possibility he decides to give K. Rool the Kaptsin outfit as default, and King as an alt...which seems weird, but not impossible. There aren't technically any pirate characters...

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Well, Kirby has to keep up with his royal fashions you see! One could be extremely pointy (K. Rool's is ridiculously tall), one shiny and one...whatever Peach has.

Then again, there's always the possibility he decides to give K. Rool the Kaptsin outfit as default, and King as an alt...which seems weird, but not impossible. There aren't technically any pirate characters...
Well, if Tetra gets in, there will be! :p I'd definitely imagine K. Rool's default would be the King outfit from DKC, and he'd have Kaptain and possibly Baron as alts. But hey, who knows?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It just wouldn't surprise me if Sakurai had some sort of secret love for Kaptain K. Rool, and felt that particular archetype fit a niche. It might also be the Sakurai way of going "I want to include the blunderbuss, and THEY want me to include it, but King K. Rool never used it! Wait a minute..."

It's weird, but Sakurai's weird. I'm probay wrong though.

I still think he could work in PM, and not be nearly as complex as he sounds. All of his votes gave to count for something!

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
It just wouldn't surprise me if Sakurai had some sort of secret love for Kaptain K. Rool, and felt that particular archetype fit a niche. It might also be the Sakurai way of going "I want to include the blunderbuss, and THEY want me to include it, but King K. Rool never used it! Wait a minute..."

It's weird, but Sakurai's weird. I'm probay wrong though.

I still think he could work in PM, and not be nearly as complex as he sounds. All of his votes gave to count for something!
The P:MBR has proven they can edit some articles pretty heavily, so he shouldn't be all that tough, I feel. Clone him off Link for the articles. The crown would just be his boomerang, the blunderbuss could be his arrows. Of course there's the animations problem, but I think Dedede (his closest body shape) only has one article, unless each of his minions counts as a separate one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom