• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
So people that are against Fire Emblem characters getting one of the remaining clone slots, is there a specific reason?
While I wouldn't care about another FE character getting in one way or the other (gameplay is what matters to me, as well as how cool the character is), some some people are concerned with a franchise "hogging" the remaining 5 of 7 clone slots. Which is why the arguments about Pichu get intense--should the last Melee veteran get in even though the Pokémon franchise has used a slot already? Some say yes because of a variety of a reasons, others say no due to it using a clone slot for a franchise that already had the privelege. Along with the "Pichu is a weak character yadda yadda yadda."

So FE getting another rep when it already had one will inevitably raise eyebrows.

randomnerdchris

Smash Cadet
I never played chibi robo, I'm gonna try the 3DS one when it comes out. On that note Chibi robo will probably be in Smash 4 in some form although I'd be surprised if it was more than as an assist trophy.

randomnerdchris

Smash Cadet
Off topic: Was I the only one who was disappointed that the Rosalina reveal wasn't a reveal for Kirby being playable in Mario Kart 8? I mean I'm glad she's in and has an interesting seeming playstyle but seriously after Kirby was racing I was so hype for Kirby in Mario Kart 8

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Off topic: Was I the only one who was disappointed that the Rosalina reveal wasn't a reveal for Kirby being playable in Mario Kart 8? I mean I'm glad she's in and has an interesting seeming playstyle but seriously after Kirby was racing I was so hype for Kirby in Mario Kart 8
I just want another Air Ride. ;_;

Ginge

Smash Ace
Off topic: Was I the only one who was disappointed that the Rosalina reveal wasn't a reveal for Kirby being playable in Mario Kart 8?
Nope. Totally bummed about that. I would have bought a Wii U just for Mario Kart 8. And I don't even like Mario Kart much ;)

Rosalina seems like so much fun though. I think the new characters (Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Megaman, and Rosalina&Luma) are all enough reason to take Smash 4 into consideration. Brawl is dead to me. Project M is so much more fun to play and I will continue playing it long after Smash 4 comes out. But there is room to play Smash 4 too :D

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Nope. Totally bummed about that. I would have bought a Wii U just for Mario Kart 8. And I don't even like Mario Kart much ;)

Rosalina seems like so much fun though. I think the new characters (Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Megaman, and Rosalina&Luma) are all enough reason to take Smash 4 into consideration. Brawl is dead to me. Project M is so much more fun to play and I will continue playing it long after Smash 4 comes out. But there is room to play Smash 4 too :D
Smash 4 and Project:M have had all my hype for quite some time now.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
I have absolutely NO CLUE what you're trying to say.

But hear this: Shadow Mario would be a "bootleg" in the most insane way possible - the entire character is meant to be identical to Mario.
Right because....he doesn't use a paint brush.....doesn't have a signature painted "m"........He can't suspend himself in the air........doesn't have shadow powers.....yep. I will once again say "MOVESET"

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Offtopic: Everyone in this thread needs to either have a Christmas themed avatar or make their avatar more Christmas themed!
Unless you don't do Christmas.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
You know what...
I'M ON A ROLL RIGHT NOW.
EPHRAIM TIME, LET'S GO! (cloned from Link)

SPECIALS

Neutral B: Javelin (cloned from Link's arrows)

Ephraim pulls out another lance and throws it at a high velocity.
Just picture a REALLY big arrow from Link, with all of the attack's properties.

*Now for the not-so-canon stuff

Up B: Highwind

Paying homage to the great lance users and dragoons of the Final Fantasy series. Jumps a RIDICULOUSLY high height, and comes down hard, thrusting his lance into the ground. Has a slight tremor effect and can cancel the dropping attack animation by pressing Up on the control stick (like Dedede).

Side B: Kilik Cheese (for lack of a better name)

You know dat one guy from Soul Caliber...with the stick...and his annoying pokey-poke attack?
Well, this is that move.
Ephraim stabs the opponent 3 times with one input. The player can then execute a finisher with a directional-B or the C-Stick.

Up: Upwards Swing: kills off the top at high percents
Forward: Final Stab: reliable horizontal finisher
Down: Angled Stab: Spike
Back: Backward Thrust: cuz why not, right

Basically Ephraim's Dancing Lance

Down B: Royal Flourish

Flourishes his lance in front of him similar to this fashion.
Down B is held down for a stationary multi-hit attack, and can effectively stuff approaches with the reads. This will also act as a Reflecter, rather than a counter.
*JUMP CANCELLABLE mid-animation
*Slight start-up lag

Final Smash: Grand Highwind

Highwind on roids.
Stuns players caught in the attack's start-up, destroys all players on stage.

*Yeah...I dunno what else to use.

Alternate Costume:

Need I say more?

This is DEFINITELY not the final product.
Made strictly due to hype.

DemonBoy

Banned via Warnings
Offtopic: Everyone in this thread needs to either have a Christmas themed avatar or make their avatar more Christmas themed!
Unless you don't do Christmas.
Got mine. I was tempted to remodel my future Link to have a Christmas outfit just for my avatar though.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
MERRY CHRISTMAS, NYUGGA!!!!!!

This is getting old...

Did all the hype for Ephraim just vanish or something?
Oh well...

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
I think Lyn's iaijutsu deal + bow makes her unique enough and there's no real need to say if there's another FE character they have to be not swords.

Although Ephraim does seem like a cool idea.

Edit: Uboa's also getting into the Christmas Spirit.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I think Lyn's iaijutsu deal + bow makes her unique enough and there's no real need to say if there's another FE character they have to be not swords.

Although Ephraim does seem like a cool idea.

The way I see it with FE characters is this:

1) We ALREADY have Roy as a newcomer.
2) In general, we have enough disjointed hitbox fighters (i.e. swordsmen) as it is.

So in order to justify inclusion of another FE character, they either have to either be super popular (which apparently Lyn is) or be a super important character in the series that should've been in the game (currently, I don't think anyone is)

Characters like Ephraim, Hector, etc. don't really bring anything. They're not that important nor are they super popular. You would just be adding them solely for the sake of a moveset (which, again, I disagree with), and that is not helpful either because they would be another disjointed hitbox character.

And I say this as a huge FE plan who's pretty much played every Fire Emblem (except 2 and 3) that we don't need more FE characters.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I can haz Christmas avi?

What exactly is so disagreeable about swordsmen in smash? Apart from there apparently being "too may of them".
I ask myself the same thing. What's wrong with a swordsman as long as they have some sort of unique style? Isaac is a good example of a popular sword user who can be completely unique from the others. No one ever says anything about there being too many fist fighters. Why should swords be different?

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Because their disjointed hitboxes give them an innate advantage in terms of reach. Notice how in general they tend to perform better than their sword-less counterparts? For the most part, no matter how you design them, they're gonna rely heavily on their fastest sword attacks.

splat

Smash Lord
Right because....he doesn't use a paint brush.....
It would make much more sense to give Bowser Jr. the paint brush, seeing as he used the thing in Mario Power Tennis, Mario Hoops 3-on-3, Mario Sports Mic, Mario Super Sluggers and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team.

Also, Shadow Mario has only appeared twice: once in Sunshine, and once in Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, where he didn't even use the paint brush, possibly because he lost it - as seen at the end of Sunshine when Il Piantissimo finds it. For that matter, you could argue whether or not it's even the same Shadow Mario (but possibly Il Piantissimo is Shadow Mario now); his voice is vastly different between the two games - one is a chirpy sound, the other a lower version of Mario's voice. What's also interesting is that Bowser Jr. can only 'transform' into Shadow Mario by the use of his blue bib - which he has switched for the white drawn-on fangs ever since his second appearance.

doesn't have a signature painted "m"........
Oh, right, I forgot. A personal tag is like a complete moveset, right?

Hey, P:MBR, I have this personal logo as well, can you put me in the game too?

He can't suspend himself in the air........
Are you talking about that one cutscene in Pinna Park? Because I think that was only put in there for cinematographic purposes - letting him drop down a bit could cause some camera issues. If it were an actual ability they would've expanded on it a bit further - during actual gameplay he just jumps around like Mario would do.

doesn't have shadow powers.....
You're right - he doesn't.

yep. I will once again say "MOVESET"
You mentioned, like, four things. That does not equal a moveset. Give me a proper moveset that includes normals, tilts, smashes, aerials and all that jazz without using a variation of the sentence "Slaps with his paint brush" or "Like Mario" 70% of the time.

JediLink

Smash Ace
I need Ridley in this game right nao plz knthx. I also approve of Lyn because because she has a katana and that automatically makes her better than Marth, Roy and Ike combined.

EDIT: My official vote

+1 Ridley
+1 Lyn
+1 Dark Samus

Impartial to everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom