• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KFrosty

Smash Apprentice
Question for you guys. What matters more to you, a "deserving" character getting in, or a character with a unique playstyle getting in? I wouldn't call Rosalina a "deserving" character, but I think her unique playstyle completely redeems her and makes me happy that she is in smash 4. What if this were to happen with PM? I think I would definitely prefer interesting gameplay over anything else, and based on the character list and voting results in this thread, I wonder if anyone else feels this way...

I think anybody voting for K. Rool and Saki is doing so for the uniqueness, and many of the characters listed on the tally do have great potential for something new and different, even if they are voted on because of Nostalgia.

Ridley alone is a character whom I feel would be very unique in his playstyle and would probably be one of the first characters I try to use if he's ever released (even though I have hardly played Metroid enough to really know much about him).

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
I actually am currently on meds to regulate health issues (ulcerative colitis if you know what that is). It has been keeping me up for weird hours, and it's also keeping me from going out much. I have the forum open on my laptop while I play Project M or do my programming work. If I notice an alert, I check in to see if there's something to respond to.

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. =( I'm not really familiar with that (gonna wiki it now), but if it's something temporary that you can get better from, I hope you get better soon. If it's something that you'll have for a while/all your life, well, you seem like a strong-willed person, so I think you'll make the most of it. Regardless, I'm glad Smash boards has been a source of comfort for you. =)

Also, what kind of programming work have you been doing? I'm trying to teach myself C# now, since it seems really useful. I eventually wanna get good enough to make some simple games, but it seems like I'm still a really long way away from that. : >

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Skull kid(or MM) doesn't deserve it imo, He was only important in one game, and his moveset wouldn't be that good anyways.
OOOOOOOOOOO, YOU DUN DID IT NAH.
YOU DUN DID IT NAH, NYUGGA!!
IMA FINNA DROP KICK YO BIATCH AYUSS!

GOD DAMNIT, STINKMEANER!!!

Ginge

Smash Ace
Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. =( I'm not really familiar with that (gonna wiki it now), but if it's something temporary that you can get better from, I hope you get better soon. If it's something that you'll have for a while/all your life, well, you seem like a strong-willed person, so I think you'll make the most of it. Regardless, I'm glad Smash boards has been a source of comfort for you. =)

Also, what kind of programming work have you been doing? I'm trying to teach myself C# now, since it seems really useful. I eventually wanna get good enough to make some simple games, but it seems like I'm still a really long way away from that. : >
Ulcerative Colitis is chronic. I'm going to have it for the rest of my life. Basically, when symptoms flare up, my colon is swollen and has ulcers. Which can lead to... less than pleasant side effects. So part time programming work from home is ideal.
I'm working on an application with one of the professors I had in college. It's called Problets (:link2:). It's an application to teach the basics of programming in a few different languages and has been in the process of being made for years. He has me working to extend the program to cover Python, as well. It's coded in Java.

I really enjoy coding in C# / C++ / Python. And I am okay at Java (which is basically C# with different class names). I'm actually also working at learning how to do a hack-and-slash game using C# and a program called Unity. It's kinda challenging. And I'm a masochist and decided I wanted to teach myself how to do modeling in Blender to make all my own enemy and player units.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
AHAHAHA that picture is amazing, I don't even remember him saying that.

Aww man I love Skull Kid so much.
Me neither, but I need to start using this as a reaction image from now on. :laugh: I couldn't find the picture I really wanted though...

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Ulcerative Colitis is chronic. I'm going to have it for the rest of my life. Basically, when symptoms flare up, my colon is swollen and has ulcers. Which can lead to... less than pleasant side effects. So part time programming work from home is ideal.
I'm working on an application with one of the professors I had in college. It's called Problets (:link2:). It's an application to teach the basics of programming in a few different languages and has been in the process of being made for years. He has me working to extend the program to cover Python, as well. It's coded in Java.

I really enjoy coding in C# / C++ / Python. And I am okay at Java (which is basically C# with different class names). I'm actually also working at learning how to do a hack-and-slash game using C# and a program called Unity. It's kinda challenging. And I'm a masochist and decided I wanted to teach myself how to do modeling in Blender to make all my own enemy and player units.

Aww jeez, sorry to hear you'll have to deal with that all your life. >_O

However, the programming work you're doing is awesome! My brother also uses Unity, he totally loves it. That's why I got into C#, actually. I'm really looking forward to this long Christmas break. I wanna become a significantly better programmer, and I also wanna finally break ground on modding Smash. :D Even if I could figure out how to rip a model from another game and put it in PM as a model swap, I'd be happy with myself haha.

Anyway! It sounds like you're a pretty strong programmer, if you know all those languages. How long have you been doing it?

Ginge

Smash Ace
Aww jeez, sorry to hear you'll have to deal with that all your life. >_O

However, the programming work you're doing is awesome! My brother also uses Unity, he totally loves it. That's why I got into C#, actually. I'm really looking forward to this long Christmas break. I wanna become a significantly better programmer, and I also wanna finally break ground on modding Smash. :D Even if I could figure out how to rip a model from another game and put it in PM as a model swap, I'd be happy with myself haha.

Anyway! It sounds like you're a pretty strong programmer, if you know all those languages. How long have you been doing it?
Well, it's part of the curriculum in the major. I first learned what programming actually was in Computer Science 1 my freshman year of college, first semester (Fall 08) and started with C++. And once you learn one language, it's relatively easy to transfer to a new one. It's just learning new syntax. I also had courses where I needed to use HTML/CSS, Assembly Language programming, and a few others.

One class we had to program a board game in 4 different programming languages in one semester. When we only knew C++ going into it (C++, Lisp, Java, Prolog). And because I was suicidal, I did a fifth (Python), self teaching myself it as I went. It was fun... ;)

Edit: Anyway. This has nothing to do with Clone Engine talk. So we should probably stop now.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
One last bit of off-topic-ness. (Kinda related because Skull Kid.)

My Majora's Mask soundtrack from Club Nintendo just got here! :love:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
I actually am currently on meds to regulate health issues (ulcerative colitis if you know what that is). It has been keeping me up for weird hours, and it's also keeping me from going out much. I have the forum open on my laptop while I play Project M or do my programming work. If I notice an alert, I check in to see if there's something to respond to.
Were you just diagnosed? I've had UC for a few years now, it is sooo annoying sometimes. :laugh: You sound like you have it bad though... Hopefully you're just going through a flare. And if you're not on Lialda... get on that ****.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Were you just diagnosed? I've had UC for a few years now, it is sooo annoying sometimes. :laugh: You sound like you have it bad though... Hopefully you're just going through a flare. And if you're not on Lialda... get on that ****.
Just got diagnosed, had symptoms for 7 years before I got up the nerve to seek help >>;; Basically they said my entire colon was enflamed. Fun times. I'm on Lialda, Uceris, and Simponi.

So people that are against Fire Emblem characters getting one of the remaining clone slots, is there a specific reason?

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
So people that are against Fire Emblem characters getting one of the remaining clone slots, is there a specific reason?
Plenty, actually
-Over-representation
-A distaste for swords
-A distaste for Fire Emblem
-"Toad deserves the slot more"

Not much else, though.
Take that how you will.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I'd be okay with another FE character if and only if they used a different weapon. Seriously, we have three playable characters, all of whom use swords, when the games also have lances, axes, bows, and oh yeah, magic.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Just got diagnosed, had symptoms for 7 years before I got up the nerve to seek help >>;; Basically they said my entire colon was enflamed. Fun times. I'm on Lialda, Uceris, and Simponi.

7 years?? You have some serious willpower. I wish you the best dude! I guarantee you'll feel better soon, it's amazing what modern medicine can do nowadays. That's enough off topic discussion for me.

I'm against most FE characters because I really don't want another sword user. Like I said before, I want a really unique playstyle and I just don't see that coming to fruition with most of the characters in the FE series. However, I do remember some people mentioning FE characters that use magic... This sparks my interest much more than the likes of Lyn.

Ginge

Smash Ace
I'd be okay with another FE character if and only if they used a different weapon. Seriously, we have three playable characters, all of whom use swords, when the games also have lances, axes, bows, and oh yeah, magic.
I'm totally for a mage from Fire Emblem. I'd actually prefer to see that playstyle than another swordsman. I like Lyn, I want her in it. But I'd probably actually have more fun with a mage. But if you bring up a FE mage that is eligible by the Clone Engine rules, chances are they had "meh" reception for even FE fans. And non FE fans would just say "Why not just bring in a mage from a different series?".

Edit: Also, why is 3 considered over-saturated for Fire Emblem when a series like Zelda has 5 characters and people are asking for a 6th?

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I'm totally for a mage from Fire Emblem. I'd actually prefer to see that playstyle than another swordsman. I like Lyn, I want her in it. But I'd probably actually have more fun with a mage. But if you bring up a FE mage that is eligible by the Clone Engine rules, chances are they had "meh" reception for even FE fans. And non FE fans would just say "Why not just bring in a mage from a different series?".
I'm not the most qualified to pick a character, seeing as I've only played (and haven't finished) Sacred Stones. >_< But we don't have a spear or axe user at all in the game, and those playstyles would be fun.

...Bandana Dee for P:M.

MLGF

Smash Lord
All people who want a FE rep that isn't a sword user.
Why aren't you vouching for Ephraim?
http://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_stickers_(Fire_Emblem_series)
He's on the list.
I myself don't care, I support the Black Knight (C'mon, if Roy gets gunflame, there should be some chart that references Blazblue!). But if you guys want something different, he's your best best.
Plus he's way hotter then that stupid Lyn
Not the best rep in the series, but the best one you guys can get.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
All people who want a FE rep that isn't a sword user.
Why aren't you vouching for Ephraim?
http://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_stickers_(Fire_Emblem_series)
He's on the list.
I myself don't care, I support the Black Knight. But if you guys want something different, he's your best best.
As I said, Sacred Stone was the only one I've touched, so Ephraim does stand out to me. Plus he could be modeled pretty easily off Marth or possibly Ike.

Ginge

Smash Ace
I actually found FE:SS rather dull. I'd enjoy Ephraim's playstyle (1/2 vote for him if I haven't already. Don't think I have...), but I just found him (and his sister) bland after FE7's cast.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Since people are asking for magic, check out my Micaiah moveset if you haven't seen it and are interested.
Click da arrow above for Micaiah
I myself don't care, I support the Black Knight. But if you guys want something different, he's your best best.
Have you seen my Black Knight moveset?
It's only a few pages back, and I'd like to see what you think in particular.

Shameless self-advertisement is shameless.

MLGF

Smash Lord
As I said, Sacred Stone was the only one I've touched, so Ephraim does stand out to me. Plus he could be modeled pretty easily off Marth or possibly Ike.

Do yourself a favor and go play the entirety of this amazing series, the console ones are way better then the portable ones :p

EDIT

@Alfonzo, just checked your moveset out. It's pretty similar to mine. I also made a moveset (at like page 110 or something... I dunno.) anyways, we had the same ideas for the down b, final smash, and up b
For his other attacks... well, if you don't want to search, I went to say that his Side special should play like Ike's, but only being able to cancel into his counter or something more defensive in order to be more defensive orientated then the other swordies.
Then for his standard special, I wanted a Luna type attack which would ignore character weight. I can't think of a single special that only ignores weight, it could be a very fun kill move and play into some interesting situations.
I also gave some normals such as him forcing his weight, in a ram like technique or using some attacks like Ike because they are meant to have the same fighting style. I also advised his smashes be extremely long ranged jabs to make him feel like a heavyweight space controlling character. I think the man has a lot of things that are very obvious in a moveset, but other moves are more... out there.

randomnerdchris

Smash Cadet

Do yourself a favor and go play the entirety of this amazing series, the console ones are way better then the portable ones :p
*cough* Awakening *cough*

On a more serious note unrelated to the quoted post i really like ephraim but i feel like he would end up being a mid range zoning character like marth and not so interesting playstyle-wise. But prove me wrong somebody make a cool ephraim moveset.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Sorry man, it's just not my thing. Turn-based tends to bore me; the only exceptions are Paper Mario and the M&L games, because you actually get involved in their combat.

Nevertheless, I definitely intend to try out Awakening at some point.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
On a more serious note unrelated to the quoted post i really like ephraim but i feel like he would end up being a mid range zoning character like marth and not so interesting playstyle-wise. But prove me wrong somebody make a cool ephraim moveset.
Ephy.jpg

COMING SOOOOOOOON....

Ginge

Smash Ace
Since people are asking for magic, check out my Micaiah moveset if you haven't seen it and are interested.

Seems pretty good to me. A little tweaking maybe. But how popular is Micaiah among even FE fans? I'd argue Radiant Dawn was the biggest disappointment the series ever gave me...

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Seems pretty good to me. A little tweaking maybe. But how popular is Micaiah among even FE fans? I'd argue Radiant Dawn was the biggest disappointment the series ever gave me...
Not popular at all.

However, she and Lilina are the only applicable mage prospects...

BTW, I loved Radiant Dawn (EXCEPT Part 2. That section is jank as hell.)
Oh well

MLGF

Smash Lord
*cough* Awakening *cough*

Like I said, all the console games are pretty much better then the portable games.
No backsies.
Well OK, FE:A is pretty good. I don't think it has as good map design as the gamecube or wii games and its Lunatic has a fake difficulty unlike Thracia. I do love the child mechanic however, it's a brilliant thing. I just think that while it has a lot of great features, it should have had a few more engaging maps that weren't in DLC.
Because I remember FE10's maps, while holding down fortresses with epic orchestral music blasting out. I remember the entirety of FE5's escape portion where it was do or die for 4 chapters straight. I remember breaking into prison in FE9 to save some random units while ignoring stealth completely. I remember in FE4 how the dialogue implied... some crazy things between lovers.
I remember... that map where you get Nah? I dunno, with DLC you got some good ones, but it shouldn't have taken DLC to surpass the predecessor's level design.

As for Ephraim, I don't really care for him. Some people hold high and dear that the weapon used makes a difference, but as long as the moveset is different... well I'm not complaining.

randomnerdchris

Smash Cadet
fair enough. The whole axes and lances thing got me thinking what other types of weaponry is smash missing? The first thing that springs to my mind would be a bo or quarter staff, although that could end up being similar to a lance idk. Anybody else got anything?

Edit: Cranky Kong might work for this and would be another dk rep. If they did add Cranky they should give him an original DK alt and DK a junior alt for your donkey kong jr recreation needs.

Ginge

Smash Ace
fair enough. The whole axes and lances thing got me thinking what other types of weaponry is smash missing? The first thing that springs to my mind would be a bo or quarter staff, although that could end up being similar to a lance idk. Anybody else got anything?
Fire Emblem's Ephraim basically treats his lance like a Bo / Quarterstaff.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
@Alfonzo, just checked your moveset out. It's pretty similar to mine. I also made a moveset (at like page 110 or something... I dunno.) anyways, we had the same ideas for the down b, final smash, and up b
Really?
I've red like 97% of the posts in this thread.
I can't believe I missed that.
Ima look for it now.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Chibi-Robo is frigging awesome.
Neutral B: Chibi Blaster
Side B: Toothbrush
Down B: Cup
Up B: Chibi Copter

Any idea for Final Smash? Sypdor swarm? Drake Redcrest?

MLGF

Smash Lord
Ooooooooo...
Yeah, I got nothing.
I'm just gonna assume your right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom