• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Question for you guys. What matters more to you, a "deserving" character getting in, or a character with a unique playstyle getting in? I wouldn't call Rosalina a "deserving" character, but I think her unique playstyle completely redeems her and makes me happy that she is in smash 4. What if this were to happen with PM? I think I would definitely prefer interesting gameplay over anything else, and based on the character list and voting results in this thread, I wonder if anyone else feels this way...
The 2nd one.

Gameplay is king. But I can still see the PMBR going with the popular choices, i don't think they'll add duck hunt dog outta no where.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I'm open to both. The reason a lot of the characters are deemed deserving to me are the POTENTIAL for movesets. Think of Dixie Kong. You can do a lot to mix the two Kong characters into a new one and her ponytail allows for the ability to do a lot.

What excited me most about Lyn was the described moveset that she got. I may be biased to want Lyn from the start, but that moveset would be cool even if it ends up on a different character. Isaac comes from a game with all sorts of skills to have as a basis and could make for some interesting moves. For instance, that attack he does in his assist trophy could be aimed downward and turned into his Up-B move to launch him in the air like Sonic's spring.

Personally, I trust PMBR to come up with good characters to fill the remaining slots, no matter what they decide.
I had a long reply typed up, but then I saw this and decided to just quote it and add on a little. Neither way is the end-all-be-all. Overall, I tend to favor the important characters because they can have movesets and gameplay made up for them if need be, whereas an unpopular character with moveset potential is still an unpopular character, but there is precedent for both sides. I think it takes a good mixture to work properly.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
If Bowser Jr. was included in PM you can be sure he wouldn't transform. It's a waste of a clone slot.
Oh crap, I didn't think of that....

Well if it's just Bowser Jr. as some cheap ****** bootlegged Bowser clone then I'm going back to "DOWN VOTE" as initially since I don't see the point.

splat

Smash Lord
Oh crap, I didn't think of that....

Well if it's just Bowser Jr. as some cheap ****** bootlegged Bowser clone then I'm going back to "DOWN VOTE" as initially since I don't see the point.
Because Shadow Mario would be anything but a bootleg, of course.

MLGF

Smash Lord
If you are to replace Lyn, might as well put in Eirika instead.
Sure the voice still wouldn't make sense, but it'd be better then it is currently.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
About Lyn's voice, i think she should speak english, because the game she appears was the first Fire Emblem released in America plus, she already speaks english in Brawl.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
Because Shadow Mario would be anything but a bootleg, of course.
moveset wise........yes he wouldn't be bootleg.....and so wouldn't bowser jr. if the approach isn't influenced by Bowser

All according to how the characters are supposed to be

There are far more "clone" characters that can still be more faithful

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
moveset wise........yes he wouldn't be bootleg.....and so wouldn't bowser jr. if the approach isn't influenced by Bowser

Huh

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
While, for Project M, I would prefer someone with a unique playstyle over a "deserving" one, I think an important char with a potentially unique moveset would be even better.

splat

Smash Lord

I have absolutely NO CLUE what you're trying to say.

But hear this: Shadow Mario would be a "bootleg" in the most insane way possible - the entire character is meant to be identical to Mario.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Question for you guys. What matters more to you, a "deserving" character getting in, or a character with a unique playstyle getting in? I wouldn't call Rosalina a "deserving" character, but I think her unique playstyle completely redeems her and makes me happy that she is in smash 4. What if this were to happen with PM? I think I would definitely prefer interesting gameplay over anything else, and based on the character list and voting results in this thread, I wonder if anyone else feels this way...

I feel the same way - it's a bit different for the PMBR, though. Their hands are tied a bit as far as what they can do in both directions. They can't necessarily pick any characters they want, nor can they do any gameplay things that they want. (Them making a character like Rosalina would probably be a nightmare, for example).

In Smash 4, I'm at the point right now where the roster is so big/awesome that gameplay's pretty much my main priority. I never asked for Rosalina, and was only mildly interested in her as a heavy clone of Peach, but seeing this has been really exciting. It actually renewed my interest in Smash 4, which is a nice feeling. =) She just seems so fun to play.

For Project M, I think it's important to weigh both. Look at who's "missing" from the core Smash series, like Dixie, Ridley, etc, and then try to find a niche for them. Can Dixie be a fast version of DK? Can Ridley be an even heavier Charizard? What's interesting and unique about those characters that their counterparts won't have? How far can the technical limitations of this mod be pushed - can we change the physics on Ridley's jumps and flight? Can we give Dixie any kind of projectiles, using the barrel artifacts that DK has?

That's how I approached my choices, anyway. I think a version of Dixie where Kiddy follows her around and is used for specials (like being thrown, being run on, etc) would be amazing - but I don't think that's something this mod is capable of doing, so my Dixie implementation would be more of a hybrid between DK and Diddy.

Tuvillo

Smash Apprentice
I would say most of the characters that are really popular fulfill both roles. Not only are they popular because their series deserve representatives, they are popular because the people who vote for them give potential ideas for the character and convince others that that character would be unique and interesting.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I would be very interested in seeing the Back Room work their magic on a character and create their own unique playstyle from the ground up (while still using a base, of course). After all the enhancements and modifications they've done on the Brawl newcomers and the Melee vets, I wouldn't be surprised if they went all out on at least one character, regardless of who it is.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
It's too bad Glover didn't have a trophy or sticker in Brawl....
Now that's the type of character I want! I want an interesting and janky character that has a moveset that doesn't resemble anyone's!

I would much rather have a character like that than Lyn, Dixie, Goroh, or the like.

Xaranid

Smash Apprentice
I think the guy above was trying to say that there are characters who can be clones while still staying true to the character, while Bowser Jr. would appear out of character if he were a Bowser clone as he never breathes fire or anything like that. Like if Paper Mario were a Mario clone. Not that it wouldn't work, but there would be a lot more that Paper Mario could bring to the table than a cape/uppercut/fireball moveset.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Man that Rosalina announcement was HYPE!

Rosalina's playstyle excited me because that was that idea I had for that moveset I posted a while back, where instead of one character it would be two that played ball with the opponent (one of the specials would involve leaving the second character in a specific spot, like a manual Ice Climbers desynch). I was writing it because the Ice Climbers always felt unwieldy to control separately, at least to me anyway, but the moveset I ended up posting instead was for one character instead (removing the possibility of using the moveset for Kat and Ana, like I eventually realized) because I wanted to post something realistic that didn't give PMBR nightmares to code.

I really hope it inspires PMBR to make a character with a completely unique playstyle. Managing a pet sounds like a fun alternative to the Ice Climbers in SSB for, and I really want something just as much creativity to appear in this awesome mod. I don't care WHAT character they use, it'll be awesome, and others can use the clone engine themselves whenever it's released to the public.

Whew! I think my hype has finally dissipated for the time being, I can talk straight now...

Also, HAS anyone contacted BronzeGreekGod about the Swordendorf mod yet? If no one has I'll do it, since it was him and me that brought the idea up in the Clone Engine Misc. Thread in the first place, before a lot of us congregated here.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
I guess I should vote.

+1 Andy, Sami, Isaac, Knuckles
+1/2 vote to the wario ware twins, and The Gannon moveset swap
-1 Lyn and anything else fire emblem, any Pokemon

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
I guess I should vote.

+1 Andy, Sami, Isaac, Knuckles
+1/2 vote to the wario ware twins, and The Gannon moveset swap
-1 Lyn and anything else fire emblem, any Pokemon
You need reasons for downvotes if you want them to count.

Gotta read da thread, gotta read da op peepz.

I wonder how many posts like this there are. Maybe around 100 at this point.
Edit: 101 now *points down*

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
The first post says to give a reason behind any -1s or they won't be counted.
I've made literally like 10 posts in this thread that include reasons for everything I listed, I just never did the whole upvote thing. Though I suppose they are old.

Fire emblem is oversaturated, as are characters with disjoint and range- based playstyles. The only things Lyn would bring to the table are that she is a woman and popular.

Too many Pokemon, period, they are cool, everyone has played the games, but they already make up more than 10% of the CSS.

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
I think the guy above was trying to say that there are characters who can be clones while still staying true to the character, while Bowser Jr. would appear out of character if he were a Bowser clone as he never breathes fire or anything like that. Like if Paper Mario were a Mario clone. Not that it wouldn't work, but there would be a lot more that Paper Mario could bring to the table than a cape/uppercut/fireball moveset.
does Mario and Luigi Partners in time bring up any memories?

Kes

Smash Cadet
Rosalina has renewes my interest in Smash 4, she looks pretty dope. It's also got me hoping for Toad in Project M even more now. Already used a full vote on him.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
HHNNNNNNNNNGGGG GUH *flails arms*
AGAGAGAGAGAGAGA!
**** YO COART NYUGGA!

Sorry about that, was possessed by an old black man, those'll due.
I certainly hope so lol, other characters from otherwise unrepresented series deserve the spot more than another swordemblem or pokemany character. Especially names that were pretty big or influential in Nintendo's history, like the Famicon, and later, Advanced wars series. They deserve a rep more than fire emblem number 5 or pokemon the movie 2000+1 characters.

TheKk-47

Smash Apprentice
Might aswell make a list, not counting Pichu:
+1 Isaac, Ridely, Dixie, Ray Mk 3, and Black Shadow(not BS/Ganon)
1/2 Sukapon, Dark Samus(if Ridely is in SSB4), K. Rool(If Dixie is in SSB4), Chibi Robo(has anyone brought this guy up?)
-1: 3rd party chars because possoble C&D
Pichu, because too many pokemon, plus, either he sucks and is underused, or he's good and replaces Pikachu. He's a waste imo, I can go more in-depth, but I don't feel like it.
Any pokemon, because too many Pokemon
Fire Emblem chars because too much
Slippy and Krystal because Star Fox doesn't need anymore(especially Slippy)
Any Zelda chars because nobody else is really worth it

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Any pokemon, because too many Pokemon
Fire Emblem chars because too much
Slippy and Krystal because Star Fox doesn't need anymore(especially Slippy)
Any Zelda chars because nobody else is really worth it
BRRRRPPPPUHHh
AYAYAYAYAYAH!
WHAT DID YOU SAY, NYUGGA!!?!

*cough* Excuse me, I'm terribly sorry. I'm not normally like this.

Ginge

Smash Ace
I actually am currently on meds to regulate health issues (ulcerative colitis if you know what that is). It has been keeping me up for weird hours, and it's also keeping me from going out much. I have the forum open on my laptop while I play Project M or do my programming work. If I notice an alert, I check in to see if there's something to respond to.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Ginge and Fortress, man...
JEEZUS!

Haha, I miss Fortress. That guy was crazy! (in a good way)

I will say, I respect anyone who's had an account since 2006 and has only ever made, like, 30 posts. Funny thing about those people is it's not even like they reserve their posts for something brilliant or insightful. They'll pop up in a random thread, drop a tired meme like "tires don exit" somewhere that's not even applicable, and then not post again for another six months. I guess they're...shy???

Anyway! The Rosalina hype has pretty much consumed this entire day. I didn't get any work done. : > It definitely makes me want more girls, in Smash 4 and in Project M. Something about Rosalina getting added, even though I wasn't asking for her, is so exciting. I think part of it is that amazing moveset she seems to have, but there's also just something great about getting another girl in. And a new girl, too! Not "Samus one step closer to nekked".

I dunno. Makes me feel like getting Lyn into Project M would be pretty awesome. I feel like a moron saying this, like "durr I like girls and want more girls durr", but I dunno. It's like... okay this makes no sense and it's getting really esoteric, but it's like there's suddenly a splash of color in something that's getting a bit gray, if that makes any sense. (probably not)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom