• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginge

Smash Ace
I love the fact that they're having a partner character where they aren't clones. Just think of the modding potential ;)

Edit: And no, I wasn't being serious suggesting mods to the game before it is even out. But I definitely will have to try her out.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I really, really wish the PMBR team would pursue Toad now. Toad is probably the most iconic character from a veteran Nintendo franchise (aside from Ridley) that has yet to be playable in Smash Bros.

Its just too bad that the reception to Toad has been mixed in this thread. On the whole, he definitely, definitely deserves it though.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
I really, really wish the PMBR team would pursue Toad now. Toad is probably the most iconic character from a veteran Nintendo franchise (aside from Ridley) that has yet to be playable in Smash Bros.

Its just too bad that the reception to Toad has been mixed in this thread. On the whole, he definitely, definitely deserves it though.
And now that Rosalina is confirmed as a character in the new game, Toad's chances increase!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
And now that Rosalina is confirmed as a character in the new game, Toad's chances increase!
I doubt the PMBR team cares about Rosalina being confirmed for Smash 4 considering she never had the qualifications to be in Project M to begin with.

Secondly, I don't see how this boosts Toad's chances for Project M considering Toad still has the problem of being an overall weakly received idea, and unlike Pichu, doesn't have legions of vocal fans on the other side.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Toad doesn't have any unique gameplay elements. Rosalina is your atypical character + support (character). Unless we got a prototype like that for Toad (KumaOso and berserk01 have mentioned Toad being an atypical grappler character, but that's the only unique such idea I've heard.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, honestly I'm really glad Rosalina was confirmed for Smash 4 (more like ****ing HYPE!) because even though the PMBR are amazing dudes, if they decided to add Rosalina, they wouldn't have been able to or probably even though to create her in the same unique way.

It also would've taken a colossal effort.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
Due to recent Rosalina's reveal.......

I came back once more, I'm changing my Bowser Jr. "DOWN VOTE" to a "HALF VOTE (1/2)"

I hate Jr. but I want that Shadow Mario in something!

I'm not sure he's likely for SSB4 anymore

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Due to recent Rosalina's reveal.......

I came back once more, I'm changing my Bowser Jr. "DOWN VOTE" to a "HALF VOTE (1/2)"

I hate Jr. but I want that Shadow Mario in something!

I'm not sure he's likely for SSB4 anymore
If Bowser Jr. was included in PM you can be sure he wouldn't transform. It's a waste of a clone slot.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Bowser Jr. in general would be a waste of a clone slot.
Not keen on Bowser Jr. as far as Mario characters go since we already have Squirtle as what a miniature turtle-like character would be.

Also, Bowser Jr. in Brawl's "realistic" artstyle would be kind of creepy (especially considering he has dots for eyes).

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Not keen on Bowser Jr. as far as Mario characters go since we already have Squirtle as what a miniature turtle-like character would be.

Also, Bowser Jr. in Brawl's "realistic" artstyle would be kind of creepy (especially considering he has dots for eyes).

RUN AND HIDE

Anyways, I personally think Bowser Jr. is a solid choice as he is one of the few characters here that is a valid clone, especially one of an uncloned character, Bowser.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Guys, there's something we are not taking into account... Voice acting.
Lyn has like no voice acting and the only voice she has makes her sound like Ivy from Soulcalibur.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Lyn has like no voice acting and the only voice she has makes her sound like Ivy from Soulcalibur.
We could come up with a list of lines for Lyn to say. Then find someone on the boards that could read/record them. Maybe do auditions.

We did discuss her lack of lines a while back. She has a couple lines of dialogue and some grunts. Which honestly is a lot more than some of the other characters. Maybe we could modify some from other female characters like Sheik to fit Lyn, too, if we need more.

Edit: These lines in Sound Test, Assist Trophy 2, 37- 42
"Prepare yourself"
"I'll handle this"
grunt
sigh
"Taste my blade"
thrusting grunt.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87

Yeah, many characters we'd probably have to have homegrown voice acting for. Some, like the Mario characters, who have a large variety of sources to pull sounds from, will already have sounds available. That also includes Ridley, Dark Samus, and King K. Rool. Skapon as a robot doesn't really need sounds, kinda like Samus. Although regarding Samus, I never liked the fact that ever since 64, she never had a voice. Just beeps and boops. Yet in Metroid Prime, you hear her voice very clearly when you get hit, etc. It'd be cool if the PMBR could update her sounds with some of those just to make her sound a little more human. :p

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Yeah, Smash 4 is actually shaping up to be really beautiful. I love the fact that Sakurai seems to be making these really complex, intricate characters. I know this wasn't his intent, but it's great because (as others have said) the PMBR would've had a nightmare on their hands trying to make a fighter that manages a pet, regardless of how it was implemented.

So it lets the PMBR focus on characters with much more straightforward movesets. Like Baby Bowser (or Bowser Jr, is there actually a difference? haha) - he's just a small, fast Bowser, and any animation tweaks they give him are icing on the cake. They don't have to worry about driving themselves crazy, and they can just focus on filling in the blanks that Smash 4 leaves.

Then again, there's still the daunting task of predicting what's going on in Sakurai's head between now and Smash 4's launch. XD

Ginge

Smash Ace
Like Baby Bowser (or Bowser Jr, is there actually a difference? haha)

Actually, yes. Baby Bowser refers to Bowser when he was a baby like Baby Mario/Luigi/Peach (Yoshi's Island)

Bowser Jr. refers to Bowser's son introduced (?) in Super Mario Sunshine.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Yeah, Smash 4 is actually shaping up to be really beautiful. I love the fact that Sakurai seems to be making these really complex, intricate characters. I know this wasn't his intent, but it's great because (as others have said) the PMBR would've had a nightmare on their hands trying to make a fighter that manages a pet, regardless of how it was implemented.

So it lets the PMBR focus on characters with much more straightforward movesets. Like Baby Bowser (or Bowser Jr, is there actually a difference? haha) - he's just a small, fast Bowser, and any animation tweaks they give him are icing on the cake. They don't have to worry about driving themselves crazy, and they can just focus on filling in the blanks that Smash 4 leaves.

Then again, there's still the daunting task of predicting what's going on in Sakurai's head between now and Smash 4's launch. XD
Predicting Sakurai is like predicting the apocalypse. Everyone tries to do it, no one ever gets it right.

Actually, as time passes, I find myself less and less caring about which characters are used as long as the Clone Engine is expanded. I know PMBR will do it right, so the only one I would be disappointed in missing is Isaac. I would also be disappointed if Knuckles or Shadow made it in over Tails if a Sonic character was chosen, but that's a different story.

KFrosty

Smash Apprentice
Lyn voice acting=???

Why not just use GBA sound effects=??? :grin:

I guess for the same reason Marth and Captain Falcon have voice acting, It's just a nice touch to hear something.

Even if it is just Link style grunts, I support the use of voice acting for the new characters.

Also, since I never voted:
+1 for K. Rool, Black Shadow, and -1 Sonic's Shadow (even if he is rock bottom, I still don't want him playable)

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I would also be disappointed if Knuckles or Shadow made it in over Tails if a Sonic character was chosen, but that's a different story.

The more and more I see this same statement repeated, the sadder I get. No one has even mentioned Eggman. Sure his play style would boast something unique and require effort/time to make, but it beats the alternative of people complaining about a Sonic clone.

Ginge

Smash Ace
The more and more I see this same statement repeated, the sadder I get. No one has even mentioned Eggman. Sure his play style would boast something unique and require effort/time to make, but it beats the alternative of people complaining about a Sonic clone.
Any villain or female has at least my half vote. We need a more diverse cast.

+ 1/2 for Eggman

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman

Just because everyone's not "OMG HYEP" over a character doesn't necessarily mean they'd be a bad idea. Hype is awesome, but it only lasts for so long. Balance and gameplay >>>>>>>>>>

Suggesting someone like Game and Watch or the Ice Climbers joining the ranks would probably get somebody laughed at if not for the fact that they were in previous SSB's.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Just because everyone's not "OMG HYEP" over a character to doesn't necessarily mean they'd be a bad idea. Hype is awesome, but it only lasts for so long. Balance and gameplay >>>>>>>>>>

Suggesting someone like Game and Watch or the Ice Climbers joining the ranks would probably get somebody laughed at if not for the fact that they were in previous SSB's.
I kind of agree, although not completely. You can make a popular character interesting and balanced, but you can't as easily make a good fighter into a popular character. Having said that, it IS the reason I like the idea of Balloon Fighter so much. That moveset EdgeTheLucas came up with was pretty awesome sounding for him. Did I ever half-vote him? Cause if I didn't, then +1/2 Balloon Fighter.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'm going to downvote Bowser Jr. because Toad is far more important, and he could have an interesting playstyle based on SMB2 and 3d World.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Toad is far more important
Your right, Toad was the first expendable character in video game history. He is far more important. I mean he doesn`t even compare to the goombas considering he is in literally every block in the games.

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
I kind of agree, although not completely. You can make a popular character interesting and balanced, but you can't as easily make a good fighter into a popular character. Having said that, it IS the reason I like the idea of Balloon Fighter so much. That moveset EdgeTheLucas came up with was pretty awesome sounding for him. Did I ever half-vote him? Cause if I didn't, then +1/2 Balloon Fighter.

Yeah, I'm not saying we should go full hipster and eschew all of the popular candidates. At the same time, it's OK to consider characters that one wouldn't normally think of. I came into this thread thinking very little of Paper Mario for example, and now I'm sold that he would actually be pretty awesome. Tetra was also a surprisingly good idea.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Question for you guys. What matters more to you, a "deserving" character getting in, or a character with a unique playstyle getting in? I wouldn't call Rosalina a "deserving" character, but I think her unique playstyle completely redeems her and makes me happy that she is in smash 4. What if this were to happen with PM? I think I would definitely prefer interesting gameplay over anything else, and based on the character list and voting results in this thread, I wonder if anyone else feels this way...

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Unique characters I want to try as many different movesets as I can.

Although some people might fall into both categories.

Ginge

Smash Ace
I'm open to both. The reason a lot of the characters are deemed deserving to me are the POTENTIAL for movesets. Think of Dixie Kong. You can do a lot to mix the two Kong characters into a new one and her ponytail allows for the ability to do a lot.

What excited me most about Lyn was the described moveset that she got. I may be biased to want Lyn from the start, but that moveset would be cool even if it ends up on a different character. Isaac comes from a game with all sorts of skills to have as a basis and could make for some interesting moves. For instance, that attack he does in his assist trophy could be aimed downward and turned into his Up-B move to launch him in the air like Sonic's spring.

Personally, I trust PMBR to come up with good characters to fill the remaining slots, no matter what they decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom