• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kes

Smash Cadet
I'd like to add some half votes to my previous for Jimmy T, Bowser Jr, Meowth, amd Ashley.

Also not new character slots but it'd be cool if Wario could be Warioman by holding R like Giga Bowser, and maybe Mario could be Metal Mario (me amd my friends have always kinda wanted that without having to do metal Brawl, where everyone is metal)

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I'd like to add some half votes to my previous for Jimmy T, Bowser Jr, Meowth, amd Ashley.

Also not new character slots but it'd be cool if Wario could be Warioman by holding R like Giga Bowser, and maybe Mario could be Metal Mario (me amd my friends have always kinda wanted that without having to do metal Brawl, where everyone is metal)
That's a cool idea but I'm not sure this is the correct thread for that

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Honestly, I'd be pretty excited if they did manage a working Dixie. Mewtwo showed they're capable of adding bone structure. And it would be nice to have a mix of the DK and Diddy movesets :D
Yeah, Dixie would be a hype bringer. Probably the most important female Nintendo character at this point that is not yet playable (aside from possibly Palutena).

Aside from using DK's up-b, Dixie could potentially use DK's neutral and down-special. Her using the wind-up punch except with her ponytail would be hilarious (though her ponytail is canonically really strong), and she can perform DK's down-b by ground pounding with her ponytail.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
http://smashboards.com/threads/project-m-stage-discussion-thread.344037/

Stage thread is up.

@Chrono

Dixie is one of those "must" clone characters, just be aide of who she is, and the fact that she wouldn't be as tough an addition as some brand new characters.

However, I think she should really only have DK's up-b, while having a different version of Diddy's down-b. I was thinking bananas with different properties. A ponytail slap could work too, and if you were thinking smaller DK, that's not a bad idea, but I'd think she'd share more in common with Diddy.

I feel like the ponytail would be best incorporated into A moves and her up-b/something. Maybe they could give her a feather bow, or some kind of retextures existing projectile with piercing properties? Doesn't she have the feather bow or something like it in DKC:TF?

(I know THAT might be unrealistic based on limitations, but SOMETHING similar.)

Ginge

Smash Ace
I'd like for Dixie Kong's Up-B to function more like it seems to in Tropical Freeze based on videos. In the classic DKC2 and DKC3, it would only allow her to gradually lower to the stage. But in the TF video, they show it give an upward boost, then horizontal movement. Could be a nice change up to DK's move.

A taunt where she plays guitar with her hair might be hard to program, but I would love it so much :D

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Dixie has a Gumball Popgun, not a feather bow(That might be Cranky's thing?). In game they stun enemies but do less damage than Diddy's peanuts. They also bounce, something Diddy's peanuts don't do here.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Dixie has a Gumball Popgun, not a feather bow(That might be Cranky's thing?). In game they stun enemies but do kess damage than Diddy's peanuts. They also bounce, something Diddy's peanuts don't do here.
The feather bow was Tiny Kong's (Dixie's sister) weapon in DK64.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Gumballs could be cool. Also... In place of DK's barrel roll and Diddy's cartwheel, Dixie could use her running attack animation from the classic games. She kinda twirls in a circle while moving forward and her hair hits enemies. I'll see if I can find a suitable clip of it.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
I was just thinking it would be cool if the gumballs had like a sticky effect, and then I thought... What if, instead of gumballs, she shot Gooey Bombs?
Goomy bombs sound cool,but would that be to overpowered?still it sounds really fun

Ginge

Smash Ace
Well, maybe have it act like a gooey bomb or smoke bomb. Where it sticks to a unit before a burst sound / damage.

EDIT: And don't forget, Snake's C4.... I don't think getting a move like it would be broken.

Ginge

Smash Ace
So if we overwrite Sandbag on top of an alloy, would we be able to have all of the alloys as one character on the character select screen as the various costumes? Make 4 (or is it 5) colors for Sandbag? Team colors + default?

Shin F.

Smash Master

what about this suggested way back.

watching sopo on kings of cali made me remember this.
This must have been suggested before I came to this thread, I don't remember it. It looks pretty dang awesome! That war paint on his face- I'd be okay with this. Except for the hammer going through his wrist. That looks painful.

I'll want this coloration as an alt, if nothing else.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I'll vote up sopo up half a vote, just because of how ridiculously easy it would be to make the clone.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Her Brawl voice scares me.
lol. She is supposed to be 15 years old right? yet she sounds like 30.
She sounds like a 30 year old smoker telling me to 'prepare myself'. When a woman with that kind of voice and a sword tells me to prepare myself, I run away screaming like a little girl.
Babbys pls. Her voice is fine but you do bring up a good point about her voice situation (it being limited to only 3 lines at the moment).

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I`d rather they do a "hold R on the character select screen to have Nana insta death every stock" thing like with Giga Bowser.
but then they can't counter-balance it to balance out not having nana...

besides, sopo is better than no character slot.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
but then they can't counter-balance it to balance out not having nana...

besides, sopo is better than no character slot.
yes, but that`s the glory of Sopo. Every character in Project M is at least B tier compared to Melee so there are only two low tier characters to have fun with: Sopo, and Solomar (no pikmin). The fun and embarrassment of beating someone using a bad or disadvantaged character is just gone.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Babbys pls. Her voice is fine but you do bring up a good point about her voice situation (it being limited to only 3 lines at the moment).

Not like the other characters have a lot of lines. At the very least, we need more grunts for her attacks. And maybe something to say for a taunt. Her final smash could just be her assist trophy + invincibility frames when you finish the move so you don't get punished when you can't control her.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
@Anti Guy

Can I vote again? Are we restarting the vote at all since you tallied up the old votes?

Also can you update the OP with recently suggested characters?

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
@Anti Guy

Can I vote again? Are we restarting the vote at all since you tallied up the old votes?

You can always vote. Just you can't make so many changes to your +1's. Those are characters you feel most strongly about, so if you're going in and changing things and adding characters, then it makes us question how strongly you actually feel about your votes.

I won't be restarting the poll anytime soon. Probably not until they actually announce another character.

I'll update the OP eventually... I'm a little busy now.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
@Anti Guy

I remember he was going to update the OP with Pokemon Trainer, Tetra and Skull Kid but he never did.

EDIT: Ninja'd by the man himself.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
You can always vote. Just you can't make so many changes to your +1's. Those are characters you feel most strongly about, so if you're going in and changing things and adding characters, then it makes us question how strongly you actually feel about your votes.

I won't be restarting the poll anytime soon. Probably not until they actually announce another character.

I'll update the OP eventually... I'm a little busy now.
Right, but sometimes a character gets brought up that no one had thought of beforehand (Like Starfy or Chibi-Robo) and you really think about how well the character would work in PM and consider him over others.

I suggest you either remove or raise the limit on +1 characters or allow re-votes.

I hope this didn't sound too stern (sorry)

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I want to make a good Starfy moveset but I'm not sure how much I need to incorporate into the character. I've only played the first two GBA games only in japanese, so this is going to be hard to explain.

I guess I'll start with B moves. All of the directional ones are the same as for now, but I don't know enough about the series to find more decent moves.
Neutral B - Spin attack. He has this in all of the games. He spins around and creates two small waves beside him. While spinning, he can control his horizontal movement. When he hits an opponent, he bounces off of them and knocks them in the direction he is moving, thus if he lands on someone from above, he could spike them.
Up B - Upward spin dash thing: http://youtu.be/UNW4WsQOHBs?t=37m26s It should be slightly aimable multi-hit attack, and should be able to bounce off of walls. If used in the air, it should put Starfy into special fall.
Down B - Same as Up B but aimable straight downward.
Side B - Same as Up B but aimable sideways.

Sorry if it's so bland but until I know more, this seems like the ideal Starfy moveset. I can't think of A moves yet, plus I'm eating a hot pocket which basically slows all of my senses down by 40%. Quite frankly I'm lucky to be typing this at all with a hot pocket in the other hand.

I guess his Back Air should be Pichu's or Pikachu's vBrawl B-air. N-Air could be Kirby's. His dash grab could be his swimming animation he uses to push objects with his head. His running animation could involve him creating a spinning dust cloud below his feet and his eyes getting huge like Olimar's do (from the games of course) and it would all be possible the same way Game and Watch pulls items out of Hammerspace (when they aren't used, they are scaled down to 0, rendering them invisible.)

He could also have a gliding technique like in the games, but unlike Peach, he descends slightly as he does it.

I need more Starfy knowledge. I love the character so far though.

EDIT: Double post. Whups. I expected someone to post between now and when I typed the last one, I guess.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Nintendo Power: There was a rumor at one point about Ridley being playable. Was that ever a consideration?
Sakurai: I think that would probably be pretty impossible. [Laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that be all right? [Laughs]

Good, this and Smash 4's stuff might as well be taken as confirmation that Ridley is in PM's potential zone. Balancing the character might be tough, though. I imagine Ridley to be like Charizard but with better air speed, worse ground speed, worse rolls, better range, and generally worse combos. Being big might also be a good weakness.

Xaranid

Smash Apprentice
I really don't think that any character would be particularly harder to balance than anyone else, and I'm not just saying that because I'm entirely biased about Ridley. I've seen that come up a few times for various characters and I'm not sure I get the rationale. If Ridley were designed in a way where he's screen filling-ly huge, where every attack hit will always hit everyone on screen because he was that massive then year, balance would be tough. But for most cases they can easily change how much damage and knockback attacks do, edit speeds, etc so I don't think that "potential balance problems" would ever really be an issue.

In Ridley's case specifically though, they don't necessarily need to go the huge and slow route. There's a great Ridley PSA out where he's smaller and more speedy, so take a look at that to see what I mean. I'd post the link but at this point I think I'd be spamming that video.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I really don't think that any character would be particularly harder to balance than anyone else, and I'm not just saying that because I'm entirely biased about Ridley. I've seen that come up a few times for various characters and I'm not sure I get the rationale. If Ridley were designed in a way where he's screen filling-ly huge, where every attack hit will always hit everyone on screen because he was that massive then year, balance would be tough. But for most cases they can easily change how much damage and knockback attacks do, edit speeds, etc so I don't think that "potential balance problems" would ever really be an issue.

In Ridley's case specifically though, they don't necessarily need to go the huge and slow route. There's a great Ridley PSA out where he's smaller and more speedy, so take a look at that to see what I mean. I'd post the link but at this point I think I'd be spamming that video.
Yeah balancing a character like him won't be a issue, i mean, just take a look at Bowser!

Kes

Smash Cadet
A less popular Fire Emblem character, how about Anna? Appears in almost every game, and could use a sword + magic combo like Awakening's Avatar would. I'm sure there has to be a sticker of her right? I didn't even think of her when I voted. I for one would love Anna, and she has no chance in SSB4. Would using her Awakening design be a problem or no since its the same character as the older design?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom