• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Well......maybe Toon Link in brawl but not in PM. See if you can find another character
please explain why Toon Link in PM is not as much as a clone a Falco. You seem to like dodging other peoples questions. Maybe if you explained yourself more we could come to a conclusion on our differing opinions.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Why are people even talking to this guy still? This discussion is literally destroying my brain cells to read and it's not even on topic. Just ignore him and talk about Top Hat Magikarp. He seems interesting but I don't see how he could possibly not be OP.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
Gdorf is the closest one, but there's not any character exactly like Falco. This may change if they ever expand the clone engine, though. Especially for :pichumelee:
5 COOKIES!!! YOU WIN!!! =D

YAAAAAAAAYYYYY!!! I'M GONNA BAKE YOU SOME COOKIES!!! LMAO

HOW THE F*** DO YOU PUT COOKIES ON HERE!

Shin F.

Smash Master
Pichu? Why include Pichu when Magikarp is clearly a superior choice?
That's not Missingn- *shot*

please explain why Toon Link in PM is not as much as a clone a Falco. You seem to like dodging other peoples questions. Maybe if you explained yourself more we could come to a conclusion on our differing opinions.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Pichu? Why include Pichu when Magikarp is clearly a superior choice?

Magikarp is too big, also : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsTFf1Y3ZDI

(Magikarp as a Jiggs clone would actually be kind of amazing, but I'm also a clown so that could just be me clownin' around).

Saki would be freakin' amazing. If his assist trophy is anything to go by so far as an SSB character goes, he could be a very well-rounded and versatile character. As for the game, his final smash could pull from a major plot point that I'm not going to divulge here because spoilers. The (hopefully) spoiler free version? Giant freakin' lasers.
Cool, so you played his game/games? : D That's awesome. How do you think he'd fight? I always imagined him as someone similar to Pit/MK, with a lot of aerial mobility. Does that make sense?

I think he's someone I'd really enjoy playing, and to be honest I watched a youtube video of the Wii (I think it was Wii) game he's in, and it looked really fun haha. If the PMBR ever picked him, I'd totally buy one of his games to check him out. : >

His gun on his AT was pretty unique, too - if I'm remembering right, it kinda shot in bursts, ya? That'd be a fun projectile to use.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
This is going to be my last comment on the matter as I`m the only person still listening to this guy and I just want everyone to not misinterpret what I said.

I`m not saying Toon Link is bad for being a clone, I main Toon Link. I was just trying to show him an example of a character that has the same moves as another yet plays entirely different.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
This is going to be my last comment on the matter as I`m the only person still listening to this guy and I just want everyone to not misinterpret what I said.

I`m not saying Toon Link is bad for being a clone, I main Toon Link. I was just trying to show him an example of a character that has the same moves as another yet plays entirely different.
It's all good.......somebody already answered it and proved me right.

Ser Jacobian

Smash Rookie
Cool, so you played his game/games? : D That's awesome. How do you think he'd fight? I always imagined him as someone similar to Pit/MK, with a lot of aerial mobility. Does that make sense?

I think he's someone I'd really enjoy playing, and to be honest I watched a youtube video of the Wii (I think it was Wii) game he's in, and it looked really fun haha. If the PMBR ever picked him, I'd totally buy one of his games to check him out. : >

His gun on his AT was pretty unique, too - if I'm remembering right, it kinda shot in bursts, ya? That'd be a fun projectile to use.
That's a pretty accurate assessment coming from what little exposure you've had. =P

He dual-wields weapons not dissimilar to ZSS's stun gun. Best way to explain it is as a beamsword with pistol attachment. Short bursts, usable while dashing or moving. Great maneuverability, but I see him as being a bit of a light character, and not terribly hard-hitting. More of a harasser, with a sort of keepaway playstyle. So I guess he could be easily cloned, using Pit as a base, but also rather unique in his projectiles and his mobility.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Oh man those Magikarp vids, those were amazing.

That's a pretty accurate assessment coming from what little exposure you've had. =P

He dual-wields weapons not dissimilar to ZSS's stun gun. Best way to explain it is as a beamsword with pistol attachment. Short bursts, usable while dashing or moving. Great maneuverability, but I see him as being a bit of a light character, and not terribly hard-hitting. More of a harasser, with a sort of keepaway playstyle. So I guess he could be easily cloned, using Pit as a base, but also rather unique in his projectiles and his mobility.

Yeah, I like that! Maybe his side-B could become an air-dash, kind of like what ROB has? And if his projectile was set up so that he could also fire it while doing the air-dash he'd probably feel pretty unique.

I didn't even realize he had a sword too, I thought it was just the gun. Man, that's pretty awesome.

So for his projectile, when he fires it out it's like a burst of a few bullets and then it stops for a bit, right? Or is that just how the AT did it, and in the game he can shoot as much as he wants? Cause I'm thinking that firing off a projectile and then having to wait a second or maybe even a bit longer before firing another would be a cool playstyle. Especially if it's a burst, so you'll have 3 or 4 bullets out there at a time in one big chunk. Could make his harassment pretty interesting!

I dunno, I might be rambling because I'm exhausted, but this honestly sounds sick! It might be pretty feasible too, if you build him off Pit like you said and just make it so that pressing B = four really tiny Pit arrows that can't be moved around once they're fired, and they come out slowly in a burst. I'm not sure what the limits of artifacts are, but I think that's something the PMBR could pull off. (Had to edit this because I said feasible twice, I CAN'T EVER FORGIVE MYSELF FOR THAT)

Ser Jacobian

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I like that! Maybe his side-B could become an air-dash, kind of like what ROB has? And if his projectile was set up so that he could also fire it while doing the air-dash he'd probably feel pretty unique.

I didn't even realize he had a sword too, I thought it was just the gun. Man, that's pretty awesome.

So for his projectile, when he fires it out it's like a burst of a few bullets and then it stops for a bit, right? Or is that just how the AT did it, and in the game he can shoot as much as he wants? Cause I'm thinking that firing off a projectile and then having to wait a second or maybe even a bit longer before firing another would be a cool playstyle. Especially if it's a burst, so you'll have 3 or 4 bullets out there at a time in one big chunk. Could make his harassment pretty interesting!

I dunno, I might be rambling because I'm exhausted, but this honestly sounds sick! It might be pretty feasible too, if you build him off Pit like you said and just make it so that pressing B = four really tiny Pit arrows that can't be moved around once they're fired, and they come out slowly in a burst. I'm not sure what the limits of artifacts are, but I think that's something the PMBR could pull off. (Had to edit this because I said feasible twice, I CAN'T EVER FORGIVE MYSELF FOR THAT)
Truth be told, Saki was only in the first game, but he played an incredibly major role, and the gameplay in the second was influenced by the first. He didn't fly much, either. That's a new mechanic to the series. So canon is a constant rapid-fire, but for the sake of mechanics, balance, and unique tactics, the short bursts would probably be a lot more awesome.

Of course, the moment I typed this up, I remembered that Fox and Falco have a pretty stream of lasers to work with. So it could go either way, really.

I also suddenly realized that I'm downplaying the swords a lot.

And then I completely forgot where I was going with this.

Point is, Saki's kind of a shoe-in for this sort of thing, and there's plenty of material already in-game to work with.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Sure thing! If I can figure it out, I'll let you know. :D That'd be fun.

As far as Pichu goes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh6ZHY1wqSA

This has to be one of Pichu's taunts. : D It should be like Diddy's juggling, where he holds it forever if you want. ( I think it does that?)

The idea of Pichu KOing Fox or Sheik and then spamming this... too good.
Chzrm3's thoughts:
Every attack that Pichu uses that hurts himself would also "charge" him. When he has this charge, every thunder-based attack that he does would have more damage and do more knockback. It'd give him this crazy playstyle where he's really volatile - he could die just as easily as he could in Melee, but he'd also be really powerful if you were able to stay alive for a bit and get him rolling. It'd reward skilled, evasive Pichu players with a crazy payoff in the form of becoming beasts.

If that made him too OP, they could try to balance it by making it so that as his charge ramps up, he also does more damage to himself.

I think if they did this in a satisfying way, it'd make for a really cool, unique playstyle. Pichu was intentionally made to be bad in Melee, but I think the core concept of the character could work really well if their goal was to make someone who was viable. The fun thing is, he'd still retain the joke factor, so you could still pick Pichu and people would be like "awwwwwww no way!!! he's using Pichu LOL!"

My thoughts:

They'd have to make it so that you couldn't just spam Neutral b and charge up. They should make him a cross between Brawl Lucario and PM Lucario's aura. So, the more damage you DEAL, the stronger Pichu's attacks are. Also it'd be cool to make it so the damage dealt makes his attacks stronger, and the damage received makes his THROWS stronger.

Your thoughts:
P.S. Hey Chzrm3! ShadowGanon made this for me to give to you! I thought you might be tired of using a pay phone for all your calls (Earthbound reference), so here it is.
If you still want to use the pay phone here's a phone card. (another reference)

Attachments

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Now I will say yes, of course I've played with "Melee" Falco competitively but tell me this, What makes Falco special outside of his character specific properties (playstyle) and taunts? (And Yes, that includes his Dair Meteor Smash which was always awesome)
Can't believe I missed this.

Nothing is special about him since you excluded the things that make him special. A couple of unique animations but that's about it. If you want to talk about the character himself that's a whole different story.
5 COOKIES!!! YOU WIN!!! =D
Uhh.

Roy.
Ganondorf.

Like seriously. Taking away the character specific properties and taunts they are pretty much the same characters as their clones aside from a few unique animations.

#revivingdeadarguments

Since I've answered your "one answer question" I want you to answer my question.

What are you getting at?

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
Can't believe I missed this.

Nothing is special about him since you excluded the things that make him special. A couple of unique animations but that's about it. If you want to talk about the character himself that's a whole different story.

Uhh.

Roy.
Ganondorf.

Like seriously. Taking away the character specific properties and taunts they are pretty much the same characters as their clones aside from a few unique animations.

#revivingdeadarguments

Since I've answered your "one answer question" I want you to answer my question.

What are you getting at?
Oh yeah, sure Roy and Ganondorf definitely if we were talking about Melee but not for Project M. "one answer question"? I was simply asking for an answer to my question, I was not asking for another question in return or for the boundaries to be bypassed from my question, therefore not answering it. I knew people would try to curve out of the questions which is why I asked them and instead try to put "ignoring" on me when they were clearly ignoring my question first.........I was very specific. The only user who was actually giving me answers was "Chzrm3" whether he/she was wrong or correct. Funny thing is, I wasn't even putting much emphasis on this, I was discussing something else....I just went along with it

As for your question..........Sure, I will answer it.........I just have run to class so I'll be back later with another post

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
im disapointed in the fact that Masked Man dosnt have more votes, cmon you guys
I guess it's a little frustrating that he's right on the edge of the "popular group," but I certainly wouldn't call the number of votes disappointing, especially given that he had a bit of a late start. People who like him have been voting for him; so far his pace has been good, hopefully new voters will like the character as well, and that's that, really. It's the same as with any other character on this poll.
As it is I'm just glad he's attracted enough attention to have a fighting chance.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Oh yeah, sure Roy and Ganondorf definitely if we were talking about Melee but not for Project M. "one answer question"? I was simply asking for an answer to my question, I was not asking for another question in return or for the boundaries to be bypassed from my question, therefore not answering it. I knew people would try to curve out of the questions which is why I asked them and instead try to put "ignoring" on me when they were clearly ignoring my question first.........I was very specific. The only user who was actually giving me answers was "Chzrm3" whether he/she was wrong or correct. Funny thing is, I wasn't even putting much emphasis on this, I was discussing something else....I just went along with it

As for your question..........Sure, I will answer it.........I just have run to class so I'll be back later with another post
I see you like very straight to the point answers without any explaination behind them so here is a answer to your first question:

there is none but it really doesn`t matter

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Any chance that suggestions can be made for other characters? I got a couple to throw out that could be approachable.

Xaranid

Smash Apprentice
Just wanted to point this out: Ridley looks really frail at that size. He could be a bit bulkier and not much taller.
I think it has to do with posture, he's hunched over in that picture so he seems smaller than he is. But being a bit bulkier is definitely fair, just an example from a quick google search. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxVkSaVgm1A <-- I'm sure everyone here has seen this by now, but while we're on the topic I thought I'd drop this here.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I think it has to do with posture, he's hunched over in that picture so he seems smaller than he is. But being a bit bulkier is definitely fair, just an example from a quick google search. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxVkSaVgm1A <-- I'm sure everyone here has seen this by now, but while we're on the topic I thought I'd drop this here.
For a fan hack, that's actually kinda decent. Some of the animations need polish and of course he should probably be balanced (and maybe play differently; I imagine him as a light aerial character), but it's not awful. I'd love to see what the P:MBR could do with him.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Oh yeah, sure Roy and Ganondorf definitely if we were talking about Melee but not for Project M.
Animations

Lets start with Ganon.

Jab : Unique.
Utilt : Unique
Ftilt : Unique
Dtilt : Unique
Fair : Unique
Uair : The same
Dair : The same
Bair : The same (Don't quote me on that one)
Nair : The same
Side B : Unique
Up B : The Same / Unique ending
Down B : The Same
Neutral B : The Same
Grabs : The Same. (Don't quote me on that one)

I'll get into rolls and other animations when I can actually access my wii.

Roy now

Jab : The same, Doesn't do two slashes instead though.
Ftilt : Unique
Utilt : Unique / I want to say it's a reversed version of Marth's but I would need to look at it again.
Dtilt : The Same / Similar
Fair : The Same / Similar
Uair : The Same / Similar
Dair : The Same / Similar
Nair : Slightly unique, taking away the properties of the move and it's almost the same though.
Side B : Unique? / The Same? : Same Move but Unique animations and properties.
Up B : Unique
Grabs : The Same

Now let's get onto Falco

Jab : Unique
Ftilt : The Same
Utilt : The Same
Dtilt : The Same
Fair : The Same
Uair : The Same
Dair : The Same
Nair : The Same
Side B : The Same
Up B : The Same
Grabs : The Same

This is all in regards to animations alone.

If we talk about move functionality then almost all of ganondorf's moveset is as similar to Captain Falcon as Falco's is to fox, assuming we are removing the properties that make these moves unique.
Under these circumstances Roy's is also extremely similar to marth's.

I could go on about Mario/Luigi as well but they have changed them over 3 iterations of smash brothers to give them mostly unique things. To be honest they are probably even more similar than the Ganondorf/Captain Falcon moveset outside of Side B.

I'm posting this last part before reading anything else but is the main gripe about Falco having no unique animations aside from his jab?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom