• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
give him 5 cookies this instant! Also, What makes Mario special outside of his playstyle? What makes Kirby special outside of his playstyle? A CHARACTER`S PLAYSTYLE IS WHAT MAKES ANY FIGHTING GAME CHARACTER SPECIAL! And don`t say "Mario has different moves" because what are those moves there for? TO GIVE HIM A PLAYSTYLE!
That was so quick of a reply lmao, you didn't even finish letting me edit but no. For whats it worth though, I do enjoy Falco's Dair just like anybody else and wouldn't change that at all

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Would you guys like an alternative question?

I see difficulty in producing an answer.
It`s hard to answer your question because your essentially saying "what makes a character special outside of what makes him special?" I mean, if your talking about moves he has that Fox doesn`t then this guy answered your question perfectly
In case you didn't realize, the very fact that his playstyle is different is enough. Just because his moves are aesthetically the same doesn't mean anything to Project M. If that mattered, then they would have kept his Reflector Kick.

What makes Mario special? Or Link? Or Samus? Or anyone in the game? Their moves are different, but it's all there to give the characters their own playstyle.

Edit: Ninja'd.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
Common sense translation
I never stated that those things aren't special or else I wouldn't have used my sentence the way I did.

Focus here. What makes him special OUTSIDE of those things?

As I've stated, I have an alternative if this proving itself to be difficult for a response. My apologies for garnering negativity but Be honest

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I never stated that those things aren't special or else I wouldn't have used my sentence the way I did.

Focus here. What makes him special OUTSIDE of those things?

As I've stated, I have an alternative if this proving itself to be difficult for a response. Be honest
Let me answer your question with three more questions:

What makes Mario special outside of his playstyle and taunts?
What makes Kirby special outside of his playstyle and taunts?
What makes Link special outside of his playstyle and taunts?

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Ahh geez, this is starting to become a little mean. I understand that mikey isn't necessarily saying stuff that's popular, but you guys don't need to beat him up for it. =(

Now I will say yes, of course I've played with "Melee" Falco competitively but tell me this, What makes Falco special outside of his character specific properties (playstyle) and taunts? (And Yes, that includes his Dair Meteor Smash which was always awesome)

This might not be a satisfying answer, but there are a lot of things I love about Falco, and the way he was interpreted in Melee. I think it's really cool that Fox and Falco, two members of an elite squad who've traveled the galaxy together, fight using the same style of martial arts and the same weaponry. It gives a strong, canonical sense that they really are on the same team and have had the same training. Fox's upward attacks (upsmash, utilt, uair) are way stronger, and Falco's downward attacks (notably dtilt and dair) are stronger, which kind of makes it feel like they both took their training in a different direction, catering to their own specific strengths. They end up having wildly different personalities and approaches to combat while technically sharing pretty much every move (except the jab combo now, haha).

I dunno, even as a little kid I always loved that. It felt so cool to me to have a second member of the Star Fox team that really felt like he had trained alongside Fox. I also love how Wolf has this raw, brutal fighting style but uses the same tech as the other spacies, but that's another thing entirely haha.

I guess you have to be a certain kind of fan to appreciate this, but to me, Falco fighting the way he does really is perfect. The fact that they can have such completely different playstyles while sharing pretty much every single move is kind of amazing to me, too. It's this beautifully elegant thing that probably happened by accident in Melee, but regardless of the reason, I wouldn't want it to change.

If that's not a satisfying answer, no worries. And don't take anything personally that anyone else has said in the thread. People get a little brisk this early in the morning (oh wow I just looked at the time and it's 2:30, ITS SO FAR FROM MORNING WHAT THE HECK?!?)

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
Let me answer your question with three more questions:

What makes Mario special outside of his playstyle and taunts?
What makes Kirby special outside of his playstyle and taunts?
What makes Link special outside of his playstyle and taunts?
Why is this question difficult to answer? I expected an instant response without a problem.......

Like I said I have 2nd question that you can give a shot (and no more questions from after that either)

Ser Jacobian

Smash Rookie
:facepalm: Roy is a clone of MARTH!
I suppose he is. It's been ages since I've played Melee, and I haven't had the chance to load up 3.0. But my point being (and I hate that I'm about to bring myself into the current argument) that each of these characters is unique in their own variation, and that it's entirely possible to do the same with Sonic Tier, and the Star Fox cast. Which it has. Otherwise, the only difference between Fox and Wolf would be their available technologies and costumes. Same goes for the wingman. Aesthetically similar, sure, but functionally different and unique. Each of the characters in PM was given enough thought to still keep them separate and unique from one another. Falco simply feels different from Fox in the way he moves, or flies to his death.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
Ahh geez, this is starting to become a little mean. I understand that mikey isn't necessarily saying stuff that's popular, but you guys don't need to beat him up for it. =(

This might not be a satisfying answer, but there are a lot of things I love about Falco, and the way he was interpreted in Melee. I think it's really cool that Fox and Falco, two members of an elite squad who've traveled the galaxy together, fight using the same style of martial arts and the same weaponry. It gives a strong, canonical sense that they really are on the same team and have had the same training. Fox's upward attacks (upsmash, utilt, uair) are way stronger, and Falco's downward attacks (notably dtilt and dair) are stronger, which kind of makes it feel like they both took their training in a different direction, catering to their own specific strengths. They end up having wildly different personalities and approaches to combat while technically sharing pretty much every move (except the jab combo now, haha).

I dunno, even as a little kid I always loved that. It felt so cool to me to have a second member of the Star Fox team that really felt like he had trained alongside Fox. I also love how Wolf has this raw, brutal fighting style but uses the same tech as the other spacies, but that's another thing entirely haha.

I guess you have to be a certain kind of fan to appreciate this, but to me, Falco fighting the way he does really is perfect. The fact that they can have such completely different playstyles while sharing pretty much every single move is kind of amazing to me, too. It's this beautifully elegant thing that probably happened by accident in Melee, but regardless of the reason, I wouldn't want it to change.

If that's not a satisfying answer, no worries. And don't take anything personally that anyone else has said in the thread. People get a little brisk this early in the morning (oh wow I just looked at the time and it's 2:30, ITS SO FAR FROM MORNING WHAT THE HECK?!?)

I really really appreciate your response here. Probably the best reply to my question yet when compared to the others. Unfortunately, I'll have to respectfully decline.

Try my 2nd question if you want

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Why is this question difficult to answer? I expected an instant response without a problem.......

Like I said I have 2nd question that you can give a shot (and no more questions from after that either)
You didn`t answer the question so I`ll just tell you. Every character has there own playstyle. It doesn`t matter what moves they have or what aesthetics those moves have, they still have a playstyle which is the thing that makes them unique and separates them from the rest of the cast. While the new Roy has a few different moves most of his "new" moves are just Marth`s moves with different animations. We could give Falco several "new" moves with the same properties and hitboxes as his old moves and you probably wouldn`t be complaining.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
This idiocy is way off topic. Can we please get back to talking about why Missingno and Charles Barkley should be clone engine characters now?

Ser Jacobian

Smash Rookie
Missingno should totally replace the Nintendogs assist for those of us who play with a more casual group. Just sayin'.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
You didn`t answer the question so I`ll just tell you. Every character has there own playstyle. It doesn`t matter what moves they have or what aesthetics those moves have, they still have a playstyle which is the thing that makes them unique and separates them from the rest of the cast. While the new Roy has a few different moves most of his "new" moves are just Marth`s moves with different animations. We could give Falco several "new" moves with the same properties and hitboxes as his old moves and you probably wouldn`t be complaining.
That's not an answer to my question though. Don't go past the fact that I asked what makes Falco unique outside of the things I stated. I didn't ask for what makes Falco qualified as a character for the roster or any other question.

Like I said, You can try my alternative question and give it a shot.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
That's not an answer to my question though. Don't go past the fact that I asked what makes Falco unique outside of the things I stated. I didn't ask for what makes Falco qualified as a character for the roster or any other question.

Since you seem to like covering your eyes and ignoring what everyone is telling you, please tell me what makes any other character unique outside of their playstyle and taunts.

Shin F.

Smash Master

We have answered your question, you're just not accepting that our answer is valid. In the competitive scene, The ONLY thing that matters about each character is that they play differently and are viable, no matter how much they look alike. Project M's primary goal was to make Brawl more competitive. Everything else is secondary. Falco's moves are different enough to separate his playstyle from Fox's. That means he's unique.

Now, YOU haven't answered our counter questions. Outside of his playstyle and taunts, what makes Mario unique?

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
Since you seem to like covering your eyes and ignoring what everyone is telling you, please tell me what makes any other character unique outside of their playstyle and taunts.
I'm not ignoring what you're saying, but you simply keep avoiding the question. I keep giving you an option if it's too difficult to answer

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I'm not ignoring what you're saying, but you simply keep avoiding the question. I keep giving you an option if it's too difficult to answer

Go away. Nobody actually cares about your question. It's off topic and annoying.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
just answer the question because now YOUR avoiding our questions. What makes any other characters unique outside of their playstyles and taunts?

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
ok ok lol

since nobody will ask for the 2nd question (Or successfully answer my 1st one).

I'll just slap it on there! This one should be very simple.

BTW You could of at least gotten 1 cookie if you told me about Falco's Jab in PM...........Dammit!

2nd Question: Find me another character (ANYONE) in the PM roster who is exactly like Falco in terms of his situation with moveset differentiation

*FINAL QUESTION*

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
ok ok lol

since nobody will ask for the 2nd question.

BTW You could of at least gotten 1 cookie if you told me about Falco's Jab in PM...........Dammit!

2nd Question: Find me another character (ANYONE) in the PM roster who is exactly like Falco in terms of his situation with moveset differentiation
Toon Link

So you finally (kinda) answered my question. You seem to think that no matter how different a character is from the rest of the cast if they have the same moveset as someone else they are instantly the exact same character. They could easily give Falco new animations with the exact same hitboxes and stats and you probably wouldn`t be complaining. Toon Link has almost the exact same moveset as Link yet he is still a vastly different character in how he plays and how people use him. Why? Because his playstyle is different and that`s what matters.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
Toon Link

So you finally (kinda) answered my question. You seem to think that no matter how different a character is from the rest of the cast if they have the same moveset as someone else they are instantly the exact same character. They could easily give Falco new animations with the exact same hitboxes and stats and you probably wouldn`t be complaining. Toon Link has almost the exact same moveset as Link yet he is still a vastly different character in how he plays and how people use him. Why? Because his playstyle is different and that`s what matters.
Nope, not Toon Link........Although that was a good try

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
I ain't got dah dough doh.
I need da dough so I can put it on my toes.
I like doedoe birds.
lolz teh random...

I haven't slept since I woke up tuesday morning at 4 am (final projects/presentations + wtf), so that was the funniest thing I've read all week. Also I need sleep or I'm going to die. (I feel like sometimes I treat this thread like the PM social thread with a different group of friends).

So as to salvage everything terrible I am doing to this beautiful thread, how do you guys feel about Saki? I haven't seen much talk about him (her?), and I never played that game, so I'm curious to see what you guys think.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
"Stupid" "idiocy" "annoying"...........hmm interesting
Not really. Intelligence is far more appealing.

Chibi Robo? I'm 90% sure he's a sticker. Otherwise, I'd have never heard of him XD

Edit: Yeah, he is. http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_stickers
I was actually referring to Drake Redcrest. I know Chibi-Robos in the game, but I don't see him fitting any character well enough for the clone engine to work it's magic.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Not really. Intelligence is far more appealing.

I was actually referring to Drake Redcrest. I know Chibi-Robos in the game, but I don't see him fitting any character well enough for the clone engine to work it's magic.

Yeah, sorry - I realized that afterwards. I only hit play and saw the first part before I responded...

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Nope, not Toon Link........Although that was a good try
You seem to like disagreeing with people without explaining why you disagree.

Why does Toon Link not count? I can`t properly evaluate your mindset that leads you to these conclusions to better explain my mindset when all you do is go "I disagree, I could explain why I disagree but that would make me seem less stupid."

Ser Jacobian

Smash Rookie
So as to salvage everything terrible I am doing to this beautiful thread, how do you guys feel about Saki? I haven't seen much talk about him (her?), and I never played that game, so I'm curious to see what you guys think.
Saki would be freakin' amazing. If his assist trophy is anything to go by so far as an SSB character goes, he could be a very well-rounded and versatile character. As for the game, his final smash could pull from a major plot point that I'm not going to divulge here because spoilers. The (hopefully) spoiler free version? Giant freakin' lasers.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
ok ok lol

since nobody will ask for the 2nd question (Or successfully answer my 1st one).

*FINAL QUESTION*

Gdorf is the closest one, but there's not any character exactly like Falco. This may change if they ever expand the clone engine, though. Especially for :pichumelee:

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
You seem to like disagreeing with people without explaining why you disagree.

Why does Toon Link not count? I can`t properly evaluate your mindset that leads you to these conclusions to better explain my mindset when all you do is go "I disagree, I could explain why I disagree but that would make me seem less stupid."
Well......maybe Toon Link in brawl but not in PM. See if you can find another character

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom