• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Interesting.

Maybe its because boxing's popularity has kinda died off in western society that it gave me the impression punch-out wasn't that good a success.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Makes me sad to see Skull Kid so low. :c Hopefully support for him increases or someone in the P:MBR really likes him.

Happy thousandth post to me!
Congratz.

I'm really glad to see ridley, isaac, and lyn at the top. So I guess the final spot is up for grabs since pichu seems likely. But i'm also worried that they might not use all 5 slots.....

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Makes me sad to see Skull Kid so low. :c Hopefully support for him increases or someone in the P:MBR really likes him.

Happy thousandth post to me!
Keep in mind that only 2 people have down voted him, and the fact that he is still VERY new to this thread. A lot of voters only participated when the thread was created, or posted their votes only looking at the initial OP. Even new characters with little to no aversion will be low.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Congratz.

I'm really glad to see ridley, isaac, and lyn at the top. So I guess the final spot is up for grabs since pichu seems likely. But i'm also worried that they might not use all 5 slots.....
I'm glad to see Isaac and Ridley; Lyn I could take or leave. :p Pichu definitely seems a waste to me, but I'll take solace in the fact that eventually I'll be able to remove him and replace him with someone better. :awesome: Not using all five slots is a possibility! They might only use a couple and then release the clone engine.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Congratz.

I am not sure if that icon means Pichu is likely. The PM team has trolled with Pichu before.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Not using all five slots is a possibility! They might only use a couple and then release the clone engine.
This is starting to seem very likely. Considering how Project M is so community driven, it'd be a little crazy to not leave at least 1 space for the people to use. This opens the possibility for quality clones of almost ANYONE to be created and made available to the public through things like Brawl Vault. The quality depends on how much time people want to use, and I know for a fact that there are people out there willing to spend a lot of time on this, considering how the alternative (PSA) is so bad in comparison.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised that Dixie has accrued so many negative votes. Is she really that controversial?
Also, K. Rool has way more popularity power than I expected. That's a good thing, though.
The only thing I think might throw a bit of a curveball is that the Big Three are all of the rather difficult-to-create type. Hopefully that doesn't mean the rest of the slots won't be filled because of that, but assuming the PMBR wants to go to the slot limit it might hurt the chances of some runners-up in popularity if the PMBR has had enough with the clone engine by that point.
I'd sort of like to compare the votes with that difficulty tier list that was put together a while back, actually. It would be interesting to see where the possible "upsets" besides Pichu and maybe Dixie reside in that list.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I am not sure if that icon means Pichu is likely. The PM team has trolled with Pichu before.
maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if they went with him though despite most not liking him.

Note: I am not a pichu fan.

^^ That'd be cool. Now people can make tracy mcgrady playable for smash bros :troll:

Dixie's problem is the ponytail, plus she's likely for smash 4.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if they went with him though despite most not liking him.

Note: I am not a pichu fan.

^^ That'd be cool. Now people can make tracy mcgrady playable for smash bros :troll:

Dixie's problem is the ponytail, plus she's likely for smash 4.
If it were up to me, I'd use all five slots on basketball players. (Charles Barkley, MJ, Magic, CP3, Mutombo)
I'd have all of their taunts activate Space Jam remixes of Smash themes.

Edit: It's very unfortunate that I'm not very good with this type of modding. There may not be a whole lot of people who'd want to make these characters. Instead, we'll be seeing a lot of Naruto, and a LOT of Cloud Strife.

shaowebb

Smash Rookie
I think if you gave Dark Samus a hover and a shuma gorath style beam strafe with possible charge variants it'd be pretty accurate to the character and different. Possible flight and invisibility utility may apply too though Im not certain how good the latter would work.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
I think if you gave Dark Samus a hover and a shuma gorath style beam strafe with possible charge variants it'd be pretty accurate to the character and different. Possible flight and invisibility utility may apply too though Im not certain how good the latter would work.
You see, up until this point, I've considered Dark Samus to be boring and wasteful. However, THIS seems very cool.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I'm surprised that Dixie has accrued so many negative votes. Is she really that controversial?
No, she isn't. Her main problem seems to be this sentiment:

she's likely for smash 4.
This is all due to Tropical Freeze btw. Prior to that game releasing, everyone was saying that Dixie Kong was going to be outprioritized by K. Rool for Smash 4. The whole Tropical Freeze thing (that one announcement suddenly changes a character's fortunes, regardless of the fact that Sakurai had already decided the entire roster by the time the game was unveiled), is incredibly dumb.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
I think what they were getting mad at you about was that it sounded like you were saying the PMBR should mooch off of other peoples work to make their own lives easier. I don`t know if that actually is the case as I don`t remember you posting here at all, but that would be my guess.
naah I definitely wasn't saying that lol

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
No, she isn't. Her main problem seems to be this sentiment:

This is all due to Tropical Freeze btw. Prior to that game releasing, everyone was saying that Dixie Kong was going to be outprioritized by K. Rool for Smash 4. The whole Tropical Freeze thing (that one announcement suddenly changes a character's fortunes, regardless of the fact that Sakurai had already decided the entire roster by the time the game was unveiled), is incredibly dumb.
Rosalina can definitely relate

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Rosalina can definitely relate
Yeah, that is the most recent offender. However, due to the foreign nature of Retro Studios, its even less likely that Sakurai would have known about Tropical Freeze's content than 3D World's.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
His Final Smash: Hyper Glitch. The game crashes for five seconds, then the victory screen pops up with Missingno declared the winner.
He can be a mash-up of all his sprites. Part Aerodactyl Fossil, Kabutops Fossil, and Part Lavander Town Ghost.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
No, she isn't. Her main problem seems to be this sentiment: This is all due to Tropical Freeze btw. Prior to that game releasing, everyone was saying that Dixie Kong was going to be outprioritized by K. Rool for Smash 4. The whole Tropical Freeze thing (that one announcement suddenly changes a character's fortunes, regardless of the fact that Sakurai had already decided the entire roster by the time the game was unveiled), is incredibly dumb.

Haha, you keep saying she's not controversial, but this thread paints a different picture. I always read people's reasons for down-voting, and Dixie has a ton of downvotes from people who say things like "I think she'd be a pointless choice", "she isn't important at all", "she doesn't add anything to the game", etc etc. Just wait for Trojanpooh to come back into the thread, he'll share his thoughts on Dixie with ya. =)

I love Dixie and she's in my top 5 - heck, if I had to pick only two characters to get into the game, it'd be Pichu - Dixie. I might even pick her over Pichu if it was down to a single slot, although I'd need to think about that a lot. Regardless, not everyone loves her.

On another note, when PSASBR blew the lid off their development process, it turned out that decisions for the roster were made with the involvement of every other studio - this was for legal reasons. That is to say, Superbot didn't just add Drake and Jak because Sony owns those characters. They actually had to talk to Naughty Dog and work out what both Drake and Jak would look like and whether nor not they'd be in the game at all. Since Namco is involved in the development process now, there's almost no way that Sakurai just make his character decisions in a vacuum.

What I'm saying is, he was almost 100% aware that in Retro Studio's upcoming DK game, Dixie and Cranky would be playable characters. So it really doesn't matter that Tropical Freeze was announced after Smash 4's roster had been decided, because TF was in production long before that, and when Sakurai was asking Retro if they liked the way DK looked, whether there was a stage they'd like that could represent their new games, etc, there was inevitably a conversation about their upcoming project as well and what more could feasibly be done to bolster that. Since you can see that Smash 4 has a clear marketing slant this time around (for example, the Sonic level from Sonic's brand new game appearing in Smash 4), there was probably this kind of collaborative effort among every IP represented.

That's not to say Dixie will be playable, just that when people feel that her presence in TF is a sign she might get in, that's far from dumb. In fact, it's one of the few valid things Smash 4 speculators mention - moveset potential, representation, popularity, sales figures of games from 20 years ago, polls, blah blah blah, none of that really matters when compared to the best interests of Nintendo's business endeavors and first party studios.

Just sayin'.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
What I'm saying is, he was almost 100% aware that in Retro Studio's upcoming DK game, Dixie and Cranky would be playable characters. So it really doesn't matter that Tropical Freeze was announced after Smash 4's roster had been decided, because TF was in production long before that, and when Sakurai was asking Retro if they liked the way DK looked, whether there was a stage they'd like that could represent their new games, etc,
There is absolutely no proof Sakurai consults with Retro for DK or Metroid content. Considering he didn't do so for Brawl (when the Metroid Prime games were a much bigger deal), I don't think he did so with Smash 4 either.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Haha, you keep saying she's not controversial, but this thread paints a different picture. I always read people's reasons for down-voting, and Dixie has a ton of downvotes from people who say things like "I think she'd be a pointless choice", "she isn't important at all", "she doesn't add anything to the game", etc etc.
Let's not forget the "I hate monkeys; they're frickin' scary bro" argument.
Personally, I think Dixie is more likely to be an Assist Trophy than a playable character in Smash 4.
Not the slightest idea of what she would do, but I don't think Sakurai finds her worthy. He probably sees her as Diddy with a pony tail.
Could be wrong.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Hey its you.......Its not about Waluigi. It's about including characters that have made PSAs for them. I was explaining how characters that have "Made PSAs" can be put in the game with just some tweaking Which is the point I was trying to make when I said that I took a very SPECIAL approach with my votes towards characters that 1. don't have PSAs and stuff done in for them and 2. Characters that aren't likely to be in SSB4.......You guys shot me down, talking about Project M's complicated system of sorts.....

Waluigi is a great example because I definitely want him and deserves a spot but I know for fact that theres a Complete or near-complete PSA done for him (Getting PM ready as we speak) so make the PM guys Remake another PSA from scratch when they can give that opportunity to other characters that we want in that don't have any PSAs (Because according to them, they will remake everything "from scratch")

Maybe you were having a bad day that day?
Oh yeah, I remember now. Yeah, that's still a really stupid way to look at things. That isn't to say I'm calling you stupid, just that this mindset here is stupid. Project M is a competitive hack, you'll never see any low quality fan PSAs being used in Project M tourneys. It doesn't matter how many ___ character PSAs are out there, if there isn't an official Project M one it's still worth their time. I've used fan PSAs before and they've all been laughably terrible except for Project M's Mewtwo and Roy. Hell, even Roy isn't that good if you turn items on for a sec to use his final smash. In any case, sorry if you took it personally when I said you had a terrible mindset but it's the truth and I'm sure most of the people here would agree with me here.

Did somebody day Denial?

But seriously, at this point it's pretty naive to deny the probable existence of Pichu. This isn't the first time things like that have snuck through a PM release. 2.0 had a Roy nametag, 2.1 had the new Norfair icon, 2.5 had a Dr Mario costume slot, and another version (not sure which) had a freakin' picture of Mewtwo in a Pokemon Stadium 2 texture. The PMBR are notoriously bad at removing everything they don't want us to see to the point where I'm pretty sure they've started doing it on purpose. So is it possible Pichu isn't getting in and that was all an elaborate joke (making them total douchefaces, by the way)? Yes. Is it likely? Not a flipping chance in hell.

Bowser Jr. Discuss.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Let's not forget the "I hate monkeys; they're frickin' scary bro" argument.
Personally, I think Dixie is more likely to be an Assist Trophy than a playable character in Smash 4.
Not the slightest idea of what she would do, but I don't think Sakurai finds her worthy. He probably sees her as Diddy with a pony tail.
Could be wrong.

Ya, it's tough to get into Sakurai's head, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's how he feels. XD

There is absolutely no proof Sakurai consults with Retro for DK or Metroid content. Considering he didn't do so for Brawl (when the Metroid Prime games were a much bigger deal), I don't think he did so with Smash 4 either.

There's pretty compelling evidence that suggests he probably is working alongside other studios, that's all I'm saying. The idea that he just sits alone in a corner office making up a roster in a vacuum when Nintendo has such an immense vested interest in this game is just silly. You spent the last page trying to quantify the popularity of random non-represented franchises - if that's a valid way of looking at things (LOL), then acknowledging standard business practices when it comes to collaborative, multi-IP projects is, too.

Bowser Jr. Discuss.

Yes! He'd be awesome. I really like this idea because Bowser is one of the few characters that I don't think I'll ever enjoy - making him smaller and faster might do it for me, though. He's got a great moveset, I just can't get into how hefty he feels. The weird thing is, I love heavies - DK, Gdorf, Dedede, even Chari a little bit. But I can't stand Bowser!

Bowser's so heavy that it honestly would probably be enough to make his son smaller and faster, but if you wanted to do other things, what would you do? I like the idea of giving him a different B - the PM team had mentioned they'd played around with the idea of giving Bowser a projectile fireball like his classic games before scrapping it. That might be awesome.

Also, I wonder if the side-B should change? It's great for a massive character, but it might feel weird as a little guy. Then again, maybe not.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
You spent the last page trying to quantify the popularity of random non-represented franchises - if that's a valid way of looking at things (LOL),
Sales is a much more objective way of measuring interest and popularity than internet screaming contests.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Bowser Jr. Discuss.
I'm against putting in any character that has a chance of appearing in Smash 4. Clone engine work takes hundreds of hours, and I wouldn't want the PMBR to be spending 500+ hours to develop Bowser Jr., or any non-Melee veteran character, only to have them show up as a playable character in Smash 4. Because then there'd be legal issues and they'd have to scrap the character, wasting all those hours.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
See, I'm not the hugest Bowser Jr. fan in the world, but I think a tiny Bowser would be pretty awesome. It'd be like the reverse of Falcon/Ganondorf where they took a speedy character and completely flipped him on his head. Waluigi is also super rad, but I can't even begin to fathom who he'd take after.

Just wait for Trojanpooh to come back into the thread, he'll share his thoughts on Dixie with ya. =)
Haha, I was going to let this one go, but since you requested it:
Dixie is simply awful and nothing more of a sidekicks sidekick and should remain as such. She never should have gotten to star in her own game, DK shouldn't have been kidnapped, Kiddy shouldn't even exist, and Dixie should have worked as DK's temporary sidekick to save Diddy. The trilogy would have been well balanced, with each character being featured in 2 games. It's simply absurd that Dixie would ever be promoted to player 1 from a game design prospective as well. In DKC2 she was slower than Diddy but had more control. Her hair twirl was clearly meant to act as a crutch for less experienced player which is why she was player 2. Whoever is using the secondary controller is far more likely to be a guest who doesn't know the game as well as the host. In DKC3, on the other hand, player 1 gets all the hand holding and player 2 gets to skip on water, a fairly complex technique which is used all of one time in the entire game. She didn't make the cut for DK64, she follows the insultingly lazy design philosophy of gender bending an existing male character, she isn't an interesting character, and she doesn't deserve to be remembered as anything but the 2nd half of Diddy Kong. Donkey Kong Country 2 is my favorite game of all time but I can't stand Dixie. I can't even fathom why anyone would like her. Hell, I'd rather a 2nd Sonic rep make it in to Smash Bros (Project M or otherwise) than Dixie as a standalone character.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
I'm against putting in any character that has a chance of appearing in Smash 4. Clone engine work takes hundreds of hours, and I wouldn't want the PMBR to be spending 500+ hours to develop Bowser Jr., or any non-Melee veteran character, only to have them show up as a playable character in Smash 4. Because then there'd be legal issues and they'd have to scrap the character, wasting all those hours.
For the most part, I agree with this. Unfortunately, taking this into account, the only characters they MIGHT be able to work on right now are Pichu (we know how this thread feels about him), Skull Kid (might be a little iffy, from a legal standpoint), and Young Link (eww). Until we get more info through daily pics, I think it would be more productive to be open to the idea of all eligible characters, regardless of whether or not they may be added into Smash 4.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The Big 3 are clearly Isaac, Ridley, and Lyn.

I think the remaining two might be Pichu and Dixie Kong. Pichu in case that icon was a character hint, and Dixie Kong considering it would be nice to see another character of the Forbidden 7 become a full character (and Dixie is easily the most popular one of them). If not Pichu, I expect a new series newcomer.

However, I am not sure if this means anything but I am pretty sure I have seen a message where Shadic called Pichu trash (which was applauded with a salvo of likes).

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
..... Hell, I'd rather a 2nd Sonic rep make it in to Smash Bros (Project M or otherwise) than Dixie as a standalone character.
Ohh~ You filled my heart with rainbows~~ Shadow confirmed for Project M Extra Salty Edition!

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
I like Dixie. She starred in two main DK Country games. Sure she got replaced by tiny in 64, but really, I see tiny as just another version of her. The hair thing could be worked around. :I besides, you can use things from other dk games. I want to see a tire reference dang it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom