• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I know who Kafei is, I've beaten Majora's Mask well over 10 times in my life and it's hands down my favorite in the series. The issue isn't a lack of knowledge, it's that Kafei just isn't that interesting of a character. Now, with any character you can just make crap up to make them work, but I don't see the point if the goal is to make him a 2nd Link clone. We already have a Link clone, we don't need a 2nd. We should be focusing on characters who haven't been cloned yet, and, to a much lesser extent, unique characters.
We also don't need a character nobody wants from an over represented series either. We can toss up all day on this topic, but it doesn't mean you're right. I already outright said Kafei wouldn't be a complete clone of Yink.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
So it is stupid to suggest a character who was the first playable character that was not Link? Because Toad, Slippy, and Pichu are much better suggestions right? Last I checked, we are free to suggest any character we want as long as it is eligible. Now you comment about how stupid of a suggestion it is, even if it follows the rules. Rather it is a side or main character who only appears once should not matter at all. Shiek for that matter literally made only one appearance in the Zelda series. Shiek was a character with little to no reason to be added to Smash. Zelda has proven she doesn't need Shiek throughout the series, yet she still appears in Smash. Shiek literally was just a flat out disguise turned into a full blown character. How is my suggesteion even remotely close to stupid?

He's a sidequest character that had no impact on the main story of a single game. Sheik was created to give Zelda an interesting dynamic. Not to mention OoT was still relatively young when Melee came out. She only stuck around in Brawl because of being a veteran, and likely because she was so damn good in Melee that a lot of Sheik mains would've been pissed if she didn't return. Also, Sheik was a character pivotal to the plot in OoT, unlike Kafei.

I didn't set any rules, but that doesn't preclude anyone from using a little common sense. You can literally pull up any Nintendo character (given that they're in Brawl), but there's only so many worth considering.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
We also don't need a character nobody wants from an over represented series either. We can toss up all day on this topic, but it doesn't mean you're right. I already outright said Kafei wouldn't be a complete clone of Yink.

There's no need to take this so personally, man. Obviously anything I say is going to be opinion. This is a discussion thread, opinions are going to clash. Full clone or not, I personally think we should focus on characters who are standalone still. A semi clone of Link would still be a clone of Link, where a clone of Pikachu, Bowser, ROB, Pit, anyone would be something new.

MLGF

Smash Lord
So... how about Black Knight?
I know people want Lyn, but I find that these characters could be far more dynamic. He's a solid villain and could be an extremely heavy sword character, something we don't have. Plus, he's surprisingly quick and has plenty of moveset potential.
I'm actually surprised it took 108 pages for me to get this idea, this dude would be a great villain rep.

Xaranid

Smash Apprentice
Guys, guys, Kafei isn't the right answer. The superior character is CLEARLY Anju! Just think about how important she is! She's the termina version of the Cuckoo caretaker from OoT, so she could involve empty bottles and chickens in her moveset (Maybe even the dreaded cuckoo swarm as a final smash!) PLUS she's a worker in a hotel so she could attack with room keys and trays of food and LETTERS! Letters to Kafei! She's the real hero out of that subplot since she sets link on his way to saving her beloved husband.

Anju > Kafei

But no really, kidding aside who would even remember who Kafei is? Majora's Mask fans, but I doubt that many people out of the general public will say "Oh wow! KAFEI from that one sidequest in that one game is in Project M! I NEED to play that now!" Out of the possible Zelda reps I'd think that Tingle would make infinitely more sense than Kafei, or Angu, or Biggoron, or the guy who runs the Pictobox Gallery in wind waker. While not as popular at least he's recognizable. Even if that recognition is as "that one creepy guy in the green jumpsuit who always appears in Zelda games!"

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
If people doesnt want Ridley because he is a boss and would be weird a Playable Ridley vs Boss Ridley, then the same would happen with Isaac...
Also this is Project M so that argument is senseless.
Except boss Ridley actually has something to offer to the competitive Smasher if the PMBR adjusts Boss Mode. PM-style Very Hard boss mode could be a hell of a lot of challenge and fun.

Items do not offer that experience. Isaac's AT would not be missed were it removed from the game and he turned into a playable character.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
I don't really remember Kafei being popular in the slightest...

I'd rather have Young Link then him get in. Yeah, I'd take 3 link's over one sidequest character.

Here's how you make him unique, give him Ice Arrows as opposed to Fire, give him combos from Majora's mask, as well as the fancy jump flips, change his dash attack to a roll, Give him access to stuff like Deku Nuts, Stick, Bombchu, and so on for attack, make his boomerang work like Link's Boomerang post PM Demo 2.6, and hell, you could even try to incoerparate masks, though that's pretty far out there. Finally, give him Fierce Deity as his final smash.

As for how he'd feel, he'd probably be in between Toon Link and Adult Link as far as speed power and weight.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
He's a sidequest character that had no impact on the main story of a single game. Sheik was created to give Zelda an interesting dynamic. Not to mention OoT was still relatively young when Melee came out. She only stuck around in Brawl because of being a veteran, and likely because she was so damn good in Melee that a lot of Sheik mains would've been pissed if she didn't return. Also, Sheik was a character pivotal to the plot in OoT, unlike Kafei.

I didn't set any rules, but that doesn't preclude anyone from using a little common sense. You can literally pull up any Nintendo character (given that they're in Brawl), but there's only so many worth considering.
I never said you made the rules. But PM:BR did. I'm just saying it is immature to bash literally any suggestion, especially one that starts a decent discussion. The point of this is to find a character people are interested in and support that character. Considering any of the Brawl/Melee cast up to this point, who the hell would have voted Captain Falcon, Marth, Ness, Lucas, Mr.Game&Watch, Shiek, R.O.B. or Pichu if they weren't already in the game?

If that is the way everyone feels then I'm done suggesting simply because I must have poor taste.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Moreover, can Mewtwo and Roy be cloned?
I've been wondering about this for a while but have forgotten to ask. This could bring about some cool possibilities if it means you could keep saving slightly different body shape modifications until you you have a unique body shape build for an interesting character. Hope this is clarified in the future.

Also I wanted to know if Pat Cashman's announcer voices (if the name is wrong I'll this) could limit the viability of certain characters. After all both Mewtwo and Roy use the clips from that recording that I can't properly search for reference, and in that video he did names for the following characters, in order--

Ridley
Roy (being used)
Mewtwo (being used)
Mew...TWO (he said Mewtwo again but longer for some reason)
Mega Man (not going to be used)
Rock Man (Mega Man's cooler Japanese name, so it won't be used either)
Isaac
Robin (Isaac's Japanese name, I think?)
Krystal
Tails
Jody Summers
King K. Rool
Micaiah
Bowser Jr.
Felix
Jenna
Mii (said in a comically elongated way)

If someone could find the clip on YouTube I'd appreciate it.

MLGF

Smash Lord
TBH, I don't think the PMBR used these, they sound different.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
They used different voices? I guess I havent paid a whole lot of attention to the streams then. Dont they start around 5:00 on a certain day? I finally got a Twitter just to follow Project M to see the streams on time and I missed a few of them cuz I checked Twitter too late.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
That's cause those weren't official, some guy e-mailed the announcer to say these names.

The PM clips are totally different, also if some random guy can e-mail the brawl announcer to say random names, I think the PMBR can too. So no problems there.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I know people want Lyn, but I find that these characters could be far more dynamic. He's a solid villain and could be an extremely heavy sword character, something we don't have. Plus, he's surprisingly quick and has plenty of moveset potential.
I'm actually surprised it took 108 pages for me to get this idea, this dude would be a great villain rep.
I'm not saying Black Knight is a bad choice. I just enjoy Lyn more. I can at least imagine her recovering. Generals, weighing usually a ton, probably can't recover. YOU MUST RECOVER!

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I'm not saying Black Knight is a bad choice. I just enjoy Lyn more. I can at least imagine her recovering. Generals, weighing usually a ton, probably can't recover. YOU MUST RECOVER!

Characters with bad recoveries aren't exactly a new concept in Smash. Link 64, anyone?

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
To be fair, He can just use magic to teleport the heavy armor like he usually does in game (path of radiance).

But yeah i'd like lyn more. Not a bad choice tho.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
That's cause those weren't official, some guy e-mailed the announcer to say these names.

The PM clips are totally different, also if some random guy can e-mail the brawl announcer to say random names, I think the PMBR can too. So no problems there.
Oh cool, thanks! Now that that's cleared up, I'll bring up my other inquiry.

I've been wondering if Roy or Mewtwo can now count as clone bases on their own for a while but have forgotten to ask. This could bring about some cool possibilities if it means you could keep saving slightly different body shape modifications until you you have a unique body shape build for an interesting character. Hope this is clarified in the future.

EDIT: I forgot to say thanks, how rude of me!

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
There's no need to take this so personally, man. Obviously anything I say is going to be opinion. This is a discussion thread, opinions are going to clash. Full clone or not, I personally think we should focus on characters who are standalone still. A semi clone of Link would still be a clone of Link, where a clone of Pikachu, Bowser, ROB, Pit, anyone would be something new.
I'm just getting tired of my suggestions getting shafted because they are not "infinity popular character from so and so series". Kafei is my favorite Zelda character, honestly. So I'm supposed to vote on who I want right?

Shadow: No he is the bane of Sonic and doesn't deserve to, 3rd party.

Daroach: No, ignored completely, rather have pointless minion character Waddle Dee.

Raiden: Who needs Raiden? NOPE! Liquid Snake ...but 3rd party

Waluigi: No more Mario unless Toad or Paper Mario, but Waluigi sucks anyways.

Kafei: Why would you even suggest this worthless character?

Yeah I feel pretty confident in these votes. I'll toss in a half vote for Sakurai's Cat and Missingno. and call it a night.

Sarcasm aside, there is no point in me having ever voted. No character I like is liked by the general public. Anything I say is considered stupid or pointless.

MLGF

Smash Lord
To be fair, He can just use magic to teleport the heavy armor like he usually does in game (path of radiance).

But yeah i'd like lyn more. Not a bad choice tho.
Alright, I think I have some base ideas down.

Up B: Teleport Powder, Black Knight teleports similar to Zelda. It's can be easily punished. The warp seal shows up before he teleports to make it more obvious, he'll have other tools to make up for it.
Side B: Quick Rush or something.
As you can see here, the Black Knight rushed at Ike, he didn't stall like Ike does in his FE9 crit (which is what quick Draw is based on). I doubt he could jump on it, but he goes a fixed distance and has a large slash at the end, pressing B will end it on the spot. It can cancel into his shield, but nothing else.
Down B: Counter, because it's Fire Emblem tradition. I'd say it should be stronger then Roy's and have way more super frames, like way after cool down. But it has the most startup to punish it.
Standard B: Luna. Black Knight holds his blade and releases, it has little charge up time and has reasonable endlag. The move goes a fixed distance on everyone regardless of weight and sends them far. Luna in FE is a skill that ignores defense, so a move that ignores weight is a good ides.
Final Smash: Eclipse,
It kills everything.

Front Smash: Black Knight does a jab similar to Roy, but I picture is more like Hakumen's (Blazblue yo!) 2H, it has a huge range and is great for spacing.
Up Smash: Black Knight does something similar to Ike's up smash, I dunno.
Down Smash: Black Knight does a low in a fashion that covers his back first, then his front. Unlike Ike, he has to use both.

A: Black Knight does a quick sword jab.
F-Tilt: Black Knight forces his body in a ram
D-Tilt: Black Knight does a low jab, or rises from the crouch and sweeps with his sword. Either or.
U-Titl: MK's up tilt basically.

I got nothing on Airs, except I think they'd be similar to Ike's.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
What I want to know is if anyone aside from Charles Martinet and myself liked him before Brawl in the Family came around.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
with the limited resources I think what you mentioned is the best they could try to do, unless they think of something else. It may not be exact but its a start, Also does he have a vid of this? I'd like to analyse it if it exists.

This video doesn't have the best quality, but you can kind of get a sense of it. =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiragfsgc1U

I think you can see what I mean - it's fun for a model swap and the person who made it deserves mad props, but it'd definitely require a lot of changing from the PMBR for that to make any sense.

Another character with a lot of gadgets is Snake, but that one's even further off. It's a shame - I'm trying to figure out a character the PMBR could choose that wouldn't mean another 700+ hours of work for them, haha. But I'm just not sure if K. Rool has an option like that. If they ever discover a way to make new artifacts or transfer them between characters, I think a faster, weaker Bowser with completely revamped specials would be perfect. Change a couple of things like his dash attack and his upsmash/uair/dair, and it'd feel like K. Rool. But that's not really possible right now. Q_Q

Spire

III
BRoomer
What I want to know is if anyone aside from Charles Martinet and myself liked him before Brawl in the Family came around.
This is a good point. I never disliked Waluigi, but BitF increased my disposition towards him by about infinite. Amazing how fan work can change a people's perspective. Makes one think...

True Fool

Smash Ace
I already kind of have a half-vote for Black Knight, but I will reiterate it. Lyn, Hector or the Black Knight would be great. Either a lady, a non-sword user, or a villain. If I could divide my full vote between the three I would. Only gave it to Lyn for being more likely, but any of the three would make me happy. Any FE character would please me I guess, but these three are the best choices in my opinion.

I won't refute the fact that we already have three FE characters, but I like what I like.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
I used him a lot in strikers.

On topic, I tried editing my Hector moveset to make it look nicer. However...EVERY FRICKIN' TIME I WAS ALMOST DONE EDITING...DDos bullcrap (I've tried 5 times).
I also posted the moveset just before the DDos nonsense, which is probably why it looks so garbled.
It's too late now.......I'm just gonna leave it be.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Mario Power Tennis.
Paratrooper.

Best character hands down.
Dude, I just got the best idea!
Paratrooper for Clone Engine!
He could be so unique using all of his techniques from the Mario Sports/Party games.
That would be SO fun, PM better add him.

I wonder what that sounds like.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Waluigi is a good place for PMBR to make a unique character. He has very little to work with so they could take as many liberties as they'd like. As long as he's not another "reference compilation" character like G dubs and Villager, where each of his moves just references an activity you can do in the Mario spin-offs. It would be exactly what all the Waluigi haters would expect.

I imagine him as what Sakurai was trying to do with Brawl Wario--make an amusingly trollish, unpredictable, weirdly locomotive character who could confound opponents with just how weird he was. Unfortunately his Wario Land games were barely mentioned at all and his motorcycle was way to useless other than as an awkward edgeguard, so he wasnt a complete character in terms of usefulness.

Now that Wario is more smoothly animated (at least in his walking and running) and actually references his games in Project M, Waluigi could fill that hole and have it perfected by the team. He'd move very unpredictably, his attack animations could similarly give little away, and he'd have weird moves to make him ever so lovably wacky. I think the PMBR could have a lot of fun making such a funny character, too.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Lastly, he should be saying his signature "Waaa!" every time he lands his knee attack. Because he should have his own Falcon Knee. Did I say he'd be using the Knee? Well there's no changing my mind if Waluigi's making it in I decree he will have Knees.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Paratrooper was my favorite character in Mario Tennis as well.

As for Waluigi, A LOT of people don't want to see him added in for either Smash 4 or Project M. On the negative list, I think he may be the one Nintendo character with the single most negative votes.

If we were to get a Mario newcomer, I much rather see Toad. Its still a shame that he has yet to be in Smash Bros. despite all the prominence he has in the mainline Mario titles. I don't think the little guy gets enough love in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom